Archive of the pre-timeskip roleplays. If you wish to continue a pre-timeskip roleplay, you'll have to do so in the DT Freestyle subforum! PM Thalar to have a thread moved from this subforum to the Freestyle subforum.

Dwarf for Sale in Chel ((Open))

Dwarf for Sale in Chel ((Open))

Postby Enkhoffer » Fri May 13, 2011 2:17 pm

*Mancles clinking between their wrists and ancles, twelve Dvergar men were herded onto the stage. All scarred and grim looking, all having waited between one and three years to be sold. Though this did not apply to the frontmost warrior whose bitter stare amidst a wilderness of hair burned with hatred towards the drow spectating him like a piece of cattle. He had been waiting for four years. Taken captive after an invading force of Black Sun had assaulted their home lands four years prior, Rugo Askalgar and the warband he had led into battle and disaster had spent the last third of a decade being broken down to a state suitable for slave labour. Now, finally waiving his stubborn Dvergar will and surrendering to his fate, Rugo is ready to be taken by the highest bidder.*
Last edited by Enkhoffer on Sat May 14, 2011 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enkhoffer
Nether Spawn

Clan: Vloz'ress

Re: Dwarf for Sale ((Open))

Postby The Watcher » Fri May 13, 2011 4:39 pm

Durin Bergthalsson didn't know precisely why he visited the slave markets. He was a wealthy and influential dwarf, but even so, had neither money nor force of arms enough to save the vast majority of these wretched souls, and many were simply too broken in the first place. In many ways, it seemed more like ineffectual self-flagellation more than any sort of aid or catharsis. And yet, every time he heard there were dwarves on the auction block, he had to bear witness. He would not who they were sold to, and filed it away in his mind, in case some day he could do something about it to improve their lot. And each time he desperately hoped for a chance to truly intervene. Every so often, it happened. Rarely, but it did happen.

Of all days, today it looked like he might have a shot. One of the dwarves seemed more sullen, more rebellious. Bent, but not truly broken. Maybe he'd given them enough trouble that they'd try and sell him for cheap, and that way the merchant dwarf might be able to afford buying his freedom?
The Watcher
Summoner

Re: Dwarf for Sale ((Open))

Postby Enkhoffer » Sat May 14, 2011 12:57 am

Among the crowd of wretched elves, Rugo's eye is caught by another Dvergar like himself. He walked with the Drow, not a slave, but a free man living in Chel'el'Sussoloth. He had chosen to walk through the slave markets in this city.
He looked directly at this strange dwarf and said in his native tongue:

"Who is this, walking like a friend to my enemy? Why does my brother bear the face of the snakes?"
Enkhoffer
Nether Spawn

Re: Dwarf for Sale in Chel ((Open))

Postby The Watcher » Sat May 14, 2011 7:08 pm

"I am on business to this awful place from another city, a free city, brother," the Merchant called back in the same tongue. "I will try to do what I can, but my means are not great... I make no promises"

Durin hated trips to Chel. Whenever he went, he wore his best green clothes, a clan symbol at his side to make him seem one of the nal'sar'koth and thus relatively safe from thieves and kidnappers. But even then, it was always a risk. He wasn't truly a member of the Green Clan; he was simply allowed to masquerade as one within this damned city thanks to his friends within their ranks. He hated the pretense, he hated the city that made it necessary, that had so little freedom even amongst its own damnable tyrants. Raveran was far from perfect, but at least it was much better than this.

But his trip had been lucrative, enough that he had the funds required to act today. Though they might despise his race, these frivolous, decadent drow couldn't get enough of his masterful jeweller's work, and he charged them though the nose for it. It was only fair that their coin help fund his success and his endeavors to help the race they had nearly destroyed, and so it was fitting that today he would be in a position to use their own coin to free one of his people. He only regretted that he couldn't buy them all...

Bergthalsson waved down the auctioneer, and began speaking to him.
"This dwarf tells me he would be unruly and willful with a drow master, that he would misbehave and make them angry, and thereby lose you coin and business. He seems to be far more trouble than he is worth, but he tells me he if he must serve he will serve a Dwarven master without complaint. If the price is right, I have use for a servant and would be willing to take this troublesome creature off of your hands."
The Watcher
Summoner

Postby Enkhoffer » Sun May 15, 2011 10:15 am

The auctioneer bent down to the dwarf not higher than his feet.

"This fine specimen, as you can see, has been properly broken long ago. He and the others will be auctioned off this afternoon to the highest bidder (Which will be high, hopefully) and you can try and buy him there."

When again the auctioneer had left, Rugo spoke to the strange Dvergar.

"How is it, brother, that you can walk here with no weapon drawn. Has the war not reached this place?"
Enkhoffer
Nether Spawn

Postby The Watcher » Sun May 15, 2011 5:04 pm

Durin laughed in the auctioneer's face. "Ah, yes. Broken, you say. My friend, you might be able to fool your fellow drow with that line, but not me. Believe me when I tell you this: Wild dwarves are not your tame gnomes, and my clan the Nal'sar'koth know this. Wild dwarves are tough iron, and they may be bent quite terribly, but the first generation will never truly break. I hope you learn that lesson, it might impact your business in the future. You had better hope none of your other customers know as much as I do; I am simply trying to do us both a favor, get me a servant and help you cut your losses."

When the drow simply walked off anyways, Durin threw up his hands in disgust. He drew closer to the platform, pretending to "inspect the merchandise" as he clandestinely conversed with the dwarf who'd shown enough spirit to call out to him.

Durin Bergthallson would look strange indeed to this caveborn dwarf. He was of the dwarven stock that had once been slaves to the Drow for several generations before escaping back into the tunnels, and so his hair was smooth, his eyes were large and had no layer of skin making them seem beady, and his skin was simply leathery and skinlike with a gray pigmentation to it, rather than the stony camouflage of his ancestors. And of course, he was also clearly clean and well dressed, in expensive dark green clothes no less. Gnome, some called him, for those traits, for being a wealthy dwarf living amongst drow, but those did not know him in truth. The artificer still had his beard, and simply because he did not openly fight the drow did not mean he didn't work for the greater good of his race.

Opening his jacket, he briefly flashed Rugo a glimpse of what lay inside, the handles and barrels of two concealed weapons. They looked like small crossbows with no bow, tubes of metal connected to some sort of winding mechanism mounted on a dyed funguswood handle. They were his springbows, personal inventions that granted him the power of a decent crossbow bolt in a small, concealable package. "No weapon drawn, but not unarmed, brother. The war reached here as anyone else, but I have been lucky. My name is Durin Bergthalsson; I have made friends amongst one of the clans here that is more sympathetic to us dwarves, and so I have gotten them to extend me their protection when I must visit this awful place. I am going to do what I can to help you and your brethren out, but success is not certain. I hope to undercut these slavers and convince the auction crowd he is selling damaged goods under false pretenses, that you all are not the obedient, trained slaves he claims. With a bit of luck, that will drive down the auction prices. If we lower it enough that they take a loss, it hurts the slavers in their moneybags, the only organ they care about, and it means I'll have a better chance of buying you all your freedom. But to do this, I need your help. Can I trust you and the other dwarves to act your part when the time comes? Convincing these devils you are unfit slaves and the auctioneer is deceiving them might well be the only way for me to save you."
The Watcher
Summoner

Postby Enkhoffer » Sun May 15, 2011 11:12 pm

*Baring his teeth as if to let the dwarf examine them, Rugo leaned forward. He was on his knee as to be closer to earshot.
With a whisper little more than a breath, he asked a short question.

"Do you know of the ones called Black Sun?"
Enkhoffer
Nether Spawn

Postby The Watcher » Mon May 16, 2011 4:30 am

Durin nodded. "They are scum even the other Black Devils abhor. A clan of raiders and honorless dogs, with no ties but their common wretchedness. They answer to no one and will kill or steal from anyone they can. Were they responsible for your state?"
The Watcher
Summoner

Postby Zenzetra » Mon May 16, 2011 12:46 pm

From down the road the gathering around the auctioneer's platform could be seen growing larger. This piqued the interest of a short, full-robed person with plenty of innocent inquisitiveness that could foil even the most solid of day-plans with quick stops and 'Oh, let me just look's around every turn.

Napheto had "escaped" his bodyguard hours ago and found himself taking refuge in the slave market. His face was obscured by his hood's shadow (though he wasn't aware of a lock of green hair that was sticking out). Despite being 'on the run' from his bodyguard Napheto took no precautions to hide his clan insignia which could been seen on his robe-sleeve.

As he drew up to the crowd Napheto could see the Dvergar that would be sold. They looked strong.. almost dangerous if not for being outnumbered and broken. The crowd shifted as a heavy voice broke over the clamour for a moment with a gruff, almost angry-sounding bark of verbiage.

Napheto could not be stopped by any means after hearing that. He approached the crowd and squeezed in from the back fighting his way past the forest of knees and hilts to get to the front. His stature makes it easy but the crowd shifts again before he reaches the front, dragging the boy with it.

As he emerges from the crowd he scans the area diligently, spotting a strange scene just a few feet to his left. One Dvergar inspecting a slave Dvergar. The thought of the slave being owned by one of his own kind tickled something in Napheto's mind. He was compelled to see how this turned out.
Last edited by Zenzetra on Mon May 16, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zenzetra
Tainted

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby The Watcher » Mon May 16, 2011 4:37 pm

((All fine and dandy, but that overheard quote was in the Dwarven tongue. :P))
The Watcher
Summoner

Postby Enkhoffer » Mon May 16, 2011 7:38 pm

"The rats attacked my home town four years ago and took me and my warriors here. I watched helpless as they destroyed my beloved heritage, my ancestral axe fabled Balmalung and heaped the pieces in a pile of common scrap metal.
Each of those sons of slime will die by my hand, once I make my way to them."

*Just then a bright light flashed in Rugo's eyes as an idea had been spawned.*

"And you can help me with that! You can help me be sold into a home within that clan!"
Enkhoffer
Nether Spawn

Postby Zickman » Tue May 17, 2011 7:27 am

Hadro Stonemail tried his best to block it all out. He had no choice. To give in to sensation, any sensation, at all would be to invite in madness. He knew that it was all there, all the rage, grief, shame, just hovering at the very edge of his consciousness just waiting for a lapse in his mental shield. But Hadro would not allow it, he would not. He would not allow himself to think of where he was now, chained and displayed before the devils that had tormented his people since the days of the great ancestors, he would not allow himself to think of where he was probably going, enslaved to one of those very devils, to live and die at their command. No, it was better to not think at all.
So Hadro stood, dressed only in a dirty loincloth, his shoulders stooped and his face blank. Chains around his wrist, neck, and ankles. A prisoner, a slave. A broken Duergar. Hadro retreated to the very depths of his mind, no longer was he in the slave market, he was someplace cold and dark and comforting………..but something drew him back out.
Hadro cocked his head to the side, showing curiosity for the first time in many months as voices conversed in Duergar dialect to his left. Hadro listened to what was being said then faintly shook his head. Without even bothering to look to the source of the conversation, he raised his voice and answered in the language of his forefathers as well. Not caring whether he was heard or not.
“What is the use? What purpose does it serve? We’ve all fought, we’ve all resisted, that’s why we’re here.”
Zickman
Summoner

Postby Enkhoffer » Tue May 17, 2011 10:09 am

*Rugo stopped talking and with a jerk turned to the dwarf next to him. Disbelief and disgust gleamed from his eyes.*

"And do you know what? We will continue fighting! Continue resisting! Anyone who is truly Dvergar will not give up the fight until these longshanks understand that this is our land!"

*He turned to face the crowd in the market and shouted at the top of his lungs in what little of the Drow language he had learned.*

"We were here the first!!"

*Turned then back to the chained slave.*

"What, I ask, will come from surrendering? Dignity? Honour?"
Enkhoffer
Nether Spawn

Postby Zickman » Tue May 17, 2011 10:19 am

It was only then that Hadro turned his full attention to the prisoner at his side, he saw what he had expected to see. A wildkin, fire in his eyes and resistance stamped on his every feature. A mere fluke that this one had lived to see the slave stands, his type were generally killed long before this. Hadro cringed at the punishment that this Duergar’s outburst was likely to cost all of the prisoners. Hadro wasn’t a coward! By thunder he wasn’t. He was just smart enough to accept that some things could not be done!
“I’ve suffered as much as you brother,” Hadro continued in Duergar quietly. “I too know what its like to loose a family, a home, a village, a way of life! No one hate the the the cursed blackskins as much as I. I’ve fought as well.”
Hadro turned the side and spat in disdain, reducing the helplessness of his life into that one glob of saliva.
“This is where it has got me.” He laughed bitterly. “A lifetime of slavery to the very ones that I hate. Sweet irony eh?”
Hadro clenched his bounded fist and glared at the ground.
“We were here first, but they have come to stay. What you ask cannot be done. Now for the love of the ancestors stop your cursed racket before you bring the whip bearers upon us all!”
Zickman
Summoner

Postby Zenzetra » Tue May 17, 2011 5:16 pm

The Dverger began carrying on with their conversation which seemed to escalate very suddenly when one of the slaves proclaimed his presence as a Dwarf to be original. It was difficult to tell exactly what he meant to say, as he left out a preposition.

Napheto inched his way closer passed the assemblage until he was directly behind Durin. He took a step back to become flush with the crowd, and he listened with deep intent on figuring out these strange people and their situation.
Zenzetra
Tainted

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Next

Return to Drowtales Roleplay Archive