Archive of the pre-timeskip roleplays. If you wish to continue a pre-timeskip roleplay, you'll have to do so in the DT Freestyle subforum! PM Thalar to have a thread moved from this subforum to the Freestyle subforum.

Journey to The Lost Land (Private)

Journey to The Lost Land (Private)

Postby blackshade10 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:52 am

Ash'vari smiled as the giant lizard stomped along the path, It's massive strides covering distance at a breath-taking pace, all the while balancing the giant cabin on it's back. Merchants, Relic Hunters, Travellers of all sorts were among the caravan that they traveled in, all seeking one thing or another. Ash'vari's mind wandered to the new places they'd visit, or old places to remember... So much to see, so much to recall...

Standing, Ash'vari stretched, working out the stiff muscles and bones. "Suppose I could check up on everyone." Ash'vari mused quietly, glancing around the plain and empty cavern. Nothing for quite a few miles still. Looking around, Ash'vari spotted his fellow clan member, Ash'oka, not too far from where he sat. Striding over to the fellow house member, Ash'vari bowed in greeting.

"How do you do, Ash'oka?"
Ash'vari asked casually, not really one to stick to formalities when it came to fellow house members.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Re: Journey to The Lost Land (Private)

Postby Alric » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:26 am

Sitting on the top of the koa'naka, Ash'oka enjoyed the view as the Ill'hardro caravan made it's way out of the Ill'hardro fortress and out of Chel' proper. A diverse array of travelers accompanied the caravan, each with their own goals. Ash'oka's own goal was fairly simple, and hopefully an easy one to accomplish… The sound of Ash'vari's voice caught Ash'oka's attention and the Tiger Knight turned his head in the direction of the half-breed.

"Quite well, thank you. So, how long do you figure we will be on the road for? I believe Val'Raveran is several weeks' travel away." asked Ash'oka. It had been a while since Ash'oka had been to Val'Raveran, and, if his sources were correct, there had been some major changes in the city since he'd been there last. Apparently there had been a highly destructive clash of some sort between the Vloz'ress and Kyorls in the city some two months prior.

"Ash'vari, how damaged was the city from the conflict between the Kyorls and the Vloz'ress? There is an old watering hole a cousin of mine showed me when I was here last. I wonder if it still stands," continued Ash'oka, stretching his long legs out as he sat.
Alric
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Sonor Val'Illhar'dro » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:22 am

And so they left the Illhar'dro fortress, exiting in rapid procession between the Bel'drobbaen territory and Siksa'santi territory and they passed the markets and signs of civilization began receding as their motley group trudged along. The pack kanoakas ambled along docilely, the traveling merchants, relic hunters, and assortment of crew chatting as they prepared themselves for a long journey. As they ascended the terrain, Suru'sunduiri looked back on Chel'el'sussoloth, taking note of the mass of darkness in the sea of lights: the Nidraa'chal war zone. Thank Sharess it did not affect the Illhar'dro fortress, but it remained confined to vicinities of the Vel'Sharen tower: the home to the city's empress, Diva'ratrika herself. Much had been said about Chel's empress, Suru's clan felt as if she had lost all interest in her people. Suru'sunduiri could understand that, to govern a city like Chel would send her home weeping any day. What a terrible, terrible scar...

The land gave way from the tall stone buildings to humbler developments, and finally to the fringes of the mushroom farms and the culture pools, before finally exiting the main Chel'el'sussoloth cavern. One by one, mana lights blossomed in the darkness as lamps were lit and the procession carried on into the darkness of the Underworld, on the way to Val'Raveran. The journey would take some time, a week or two. Suru'sunduiri quipped her mount and the bird clucked its way towards the figure of Killian and Rhylagh.

"So how does it feel to have gone beyond the borders of Chel'el'sussoloth? And perhaps even the border of the books you have read?"

Blackness. Darkness. Stone walls and heavy ceilings all around them. Suru'sunduiri gave a silvery chuckle.

"I know it isn't much, but I assure you the sights will be far better than the darkness we walk in right now."
Last edited by Sonor Val'Illhar'dro on Fri May 14, 2010 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sonor Val'Illhar'dro
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Sword Goddess » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:13 am

Dim. Dark. Lifeless. At least so far as to expand beyond her present company, things seemed shallow when compared to Chel's almost bursting population; she had of course been expecting nothing less, reading stories often educated the woman in the world beyond her city - despite lacking practical experience, Killian was not entirely phased by the endless expansion of rigid surfaces and gloomy dark hues. Shadows lingering along the edges of light which dotted their path, and the convoy itself.

For the greater extent of their journey thus far, Killian's time was spent at the rear where she could enjoy a moment of solitude while conversely claiming the rear guard position. While, at times, she would allow the youth who'd accompanied them to stay close to her, where the woman would exchange a few passing words to keep him entertained. Explaining odd, off-handed topics such as weapon maintenance, plant care, how to dissect a dragon. Simple things, obviously.
However...
Upon Suru's approach Killian's gaze lifted in turn, observing the woman's generally casual nature upon the saddle while nearing a more personal proximity for conversation. "It is as I'd expected it to be Lady Suru, an entertaining experience. I am doubtful we'll go so far, I have..." And she smiled very slightly, "...read many books."
Sword Goddess
Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby blackshade10 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:06 am

((Alright, in an attempt to get this thread moving, post if you can actively participate in the thread. Else, you are da booted. Wish I didn't have to do this, but it's sadly very inactive.

Note: I don't follow the "turn" rule. Post when you want to post, don't feel the need to wait for people.))
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Alric » Sun May 02, 2010 7:30 pm

Hearing voices from behind him, Ash'oka turned his neck to see what was going on. It appeared as if Suru'sunduiri was speaking to Killian and Rhylagh. "Excuse me for a second..." With a practiced grace, Ash'oka strode over within earshot to join their conversation, whilst intermittently looking back at Ash'vari.

"Ah, so you've never been to Val'Raveran, have you, Killian? It's been a while since Ash'vari or I have been there. It is indeed a wonderful place, though not nearly as beautiful as our own Chel'el'sussoloth, much less the gilt sapphire dome of the Sullisin'rune estate," spoke Ash'oka, sitting down at the rear of the koa'naka. All this talk of travel led Ash'oka's mind to drift back to the time he spent at Val'Raveran.
Alric
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Sonor Val'Illhar'dro » Mon May 03, 2010 2:56 am

"Oh Killian, you must cast away the sights of those books. As wonderful as written word is, it can never compare to the originals that inspired it! Words are only the desperate means for men and women as they try and explain what they see or think"

Suru'sunduiri tittered (though it was a very musical titter) as she wagged a finger at Ash'vari's guardian. Forming a mana light in her hands, she shot it into the air in a mana flare and it exploded in a radiance of light. The crevices, the cavern, the sloping walls and rocky path, every part and every inch illuminated for that split second...and with it, the crystal embedded ceilings shining like stars, the underworld critters as they scampered away. And then the lights died and only the lights of the caravan remained.

A few of the mercenaries gawked at the flare, complaining about attracting unnecessary attention and the such but Suru just turned her radiant smile towards Killian.

"I shall take you one day, if Ash'vari's health permits, above these grounds. If only words in books could describe the ever changing chasm above our heads, with the moons of our ancestors hanging so brilliantly! Its as if the goddesses took bowls of dye from morning to sundown, and splattered them against the blue or black canvas. Ah, it is truly something..."

It was then that Ash'oka backed up in his brilliance, giving his own story of Val'Raveran. Suru'sunduiri smiled, clipped the side of her mount and made her way to the abandoned Ash'vari.

"It has been long since you have traveled...much less seen the surface. I suppose you are doing well, contented perhaps?"
Sonor Val'Illhar'dro
Dragon of the Nether

Postby blackshade10 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:08 am

"Quite. I eagerly look forward to reaching Raveran. It is such a glorious city... Perhaps we'll have a short trip to the Surface... I do so seek to eventually migrate there. Alas, if my lovely Illharess does not desire too return yet, we cannot. One day perhaps..." He said simply, looking a tad forlorn. He glanced back to his loyal guardian, a smile spread across his face. Sharess knows what was crossing his mind, though one could certainly remember the look.

Ash'vari's eyes fell back to the Illhardro, a smile gracing his face. "And you? I'm sure someone as radiant as you has come across some amazing things." He said with that flirtatious nature of his, and that little mischievous gleam in his eyes.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Sword Goddess » Mon May 03, 2010 6:25 pm

Attention remained absolute, fixed both on Ash'vari, and Lady Suru with a sort of `perfect dividing interest`. How the woman managed to keep such perfect focus despite having her attention split evenly was left to the keen individuals. "But it's important to know what the general view of the world is, we must respect our own view the most, but be open minded enough to appreciate the thoughts of others when they are constructive and serious," she nodded. "Books offer these thoughts without the necessary aggressive tone or biased voice of the person behind them. But words of text have their own tone, you can piece together truth from deception and..." She blinked softly, "I'm sorry Lady Suru, I am rambling. You are right. I must experience it for myself, to fully appreciate the experience,"

Eyes were cast high with the brilliant illumination, and she felt a brief sensation of warmth spill down her spine at it's elegant appearance; each piece of rock told a story, every stone the collection of a thousand journeys as foot, hoof or talon scuffled along the cavern floor. It was always beautiful to see a new place. Take her to the surface world? "I would...I would like that very much my Lady Suru, very much."

Her head tilted with ever so slight the incline, as passing ember eyes washed over Ash'oka intently. "I have never left the confines of Chel', and my times outside the dome is little more than passing steps from the door to the markets. That is the world I've lived in, truly books are by which I've expanded by ambitions to the see a broader reality."

Lips remained even, flat-lined and passive on that young, beautiful face. "Ultimately the world, and it's beauty, is left up to the interpretation of the one watching it." Lashes drooped down to half-lids, "But I look forward to perceiving more of the world and thank you all for the opportunity."
Sword Goddess
Demon

Postby Sonor Val'Illhar'dro » Fri May 07, 2010 2:45 am

"And why does Illharess Val'Ash'waren not wish to venture to the Surface? Perhaps you may throw a word in to her; the Illhar'dro and Nal'Sarkoth are open to working with other Val clans towards colonization and expansion. The Sullisin'rune are wealthy; there is much to gain in the Ancient World, we can make it ours again. Why, if by chance if we get to see the Surface, even you would see that the land heals itself slowly but surely. The Halmes kingdom have raised crops and the land is plentiful towards the North. I implore you Val'Ash'vari to put in a word to your clan for them to consider it."

Suru'sunduiri chatted amiably, pushing the Illhar'dro platform of expansion as much as she could. Taking a glance at Ash'vari's eyes and suggestive voice, Suru was taken aback but a knowing and curious smile flitted over her face as she gripped the reins. Digging into her pack, she pulled out some peaches. She threw two towards Killian and Ash'oka, and offered one to Ash'vari.

"Nourishment. Fruit is rare; and freshness even rarer even for a Val. To have a peach not yet plucked a week before is a sweet joy most live and die without."

Suru cut into her fruit before one of the front mercenaries called out from the front.

"Lady Suru'sunduiri! The normal passageway has been collapsed."

A murmur spread through the caravan, whispers of dvergars and the shifting of the mercenaries around the caravan brought a silence to the merry entourage. Raising a eyebrow, Suru rode her mount to the front, where sure enough, the mana lamp illuminated a large wall of collapsed stone over one of the cavern tunnels.

"Now that is an annoyance. Well...we have received no prior word of disturbance before, perhaps there is another route. Check the mana tracker, locate the closest source of it ahead of us and we may catch up with the other traders heading towards Val'Raveran. But first, let us stop and assess things, this tunnel should not be collapsed...the crystalline walls can not collapse so easily."

The caravan shifted to a halt as Suru approached the wall of stone, rubbing it with her fingers. In the dim light, she could see powder and ash over the stone, and scorch marks over the stone. Her brow was knitted in confusion, she turned around and rode back towards her Val accompaniment. The mercenaries were arranging themselves in a strict formation around the caravan, and Suru raised her hand in a go ahead. She checked her mana tracker, just as the leaders of the caravan were doing, and the path of the caravan shifted.

"Mm. Just a slight obstacle Val'Ash'vari. We might have to take a little detour, but, eh, do keep your blade out just in case."
Sonor Val'Illhar'dro
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Alric » Mon May 10, 2010 1:16 am

"I see…" said Ash'oka, listening to Killian speak. "You are quite young, and it has been a very long time since Ash'vari left Chel'el'sussoloth, I believe. In any case, I think you'll be quite amazed and pleased by what Val'Raveran has to offer," said the Sullisin'rune with a grin.

"Books are all well and good, but most things you'll have to experience yourself. Hang around with the Illhar'dro enough and you'll see many wondrous things, the surface and the moons being two of the most notable," said Ash'oka whimsically, recalling fond memories of the surface. Killian certainly could benefit from some travel…everyone should travel the world at least once in their life. One day, the Sullisin'rune would return to their homeland on the surface. With a little luck, Ash'oka, Ash'vari, and Killian would be around to see such an event.

Ash'oka was brought out of his reverie as Suru'sunduiri rode by and threw something in his direction. As he caught it, Ash'oka saw that it was a peach, a fruit from the surface lands. "Why, thank you…" Judging from the feel, color, and smell, it was quite ripe and had been recently picked. Ash'oka decided to confirm what his other senses had told him by taking a bite of the peach. The Sullisin'rune Tiger Knight savored the sweet taste of the fruit's flesh, a rare treat indeed for most of the denizens of the underworld caverns. Truly there is worth investing in an alliance with the Illhar'dro… thought Ash'oka, as he ate the rest of the fruit.

The caravan suddenly coming to a halt led Ash'oka to look behind him towards the front. A cave-in had blocked off the passageway to Val'Raveran. Ash'oka warily kept his hands near the hilt of his sword. This could have been the work of dwarven marauders. The order was soon given to move the caravan to a different route. "Best keep wary, Killian, I sense that dvergar, or worse, could be responsible for this," he advised the younger drow. Ash'oka usually preferred not to fight, but he admittedly wasn't bad at it when he had to do so.
Alric
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Sword Goddess » Mon May 10, 2010 10:39 pm

"Of course Lord Ash'oka, experience is the spice of existence. I look forward with dedicated anticipation for the future of this adventure," she'd comment with that same, smoothly toned voice - making it difficult to tell if she was genuinely enthusiastic or not. But given Killian's absence of lies in her life, it was safe to say the woman was simply controlling herself, as usual.

She was a calm mind, someone not easily stimulated by feelings of anxiety or fear. Perhaps because an open mind made for a strong platform for logic. That said tactical thinking and strategy slowly started spinning behind those ember eyes; gaze easing away from Ash'oka intently, "Yes Lord Ash'oka." Heels would kick into mounts flanks, spurring it forward until she was along side Lady Suru'sunduiri with private intention. Leaning over with both palms on saddle's "hilt" her lips would nestle closely against the Ilhardo's pointed lobe, a passing of whispered words kept murmured and low to avoid eavesdropping, "My Lady. It is not my place to tell you how to run your caravan; but if I may make a suggestion as to our deployment. Until the risk is passed, perhaps we might pair up the pack animals and spread those pairs out, if there is a fight we will need room to move and fight, it will also prevent any significant collateral damage to the convoy,"

Lashes drooped down, her expression entirely devoid of emotional attachment. It was a very solemn look. Calm. Silent. But calculated, "And I wish for you to stay close to Lord Ash'oka, or Ash'vari. I would feel more comfortable knowing you are safe with one of them," with that said Killian cast herself from the mounted position, landing with a surprising silence, and in full attire calmly strolled beyond the head of the convoy, hands to her sides, and cape giving a little buoyant bounce after each subtle, confident step. Eventually climbing one collapsed stone, then another, her hand rising before her face to develop a small ball of concentrated mana to illuminate the immediate area around her while she examined the collapsed passageway with a more critical eye.
Sword Goddess
Demon

Postby blackshade10 » Thu May 13, 2010 12:36 am

Ash'vari rose from his seat on the lizard, his appraising eye scanning the darkness. With a smack of his flint ring, a small flame sprang to life, illuminating the small area around them. Ash'vari blinked, willing a more effective mana light into existence, though he kept his flame at the ready. He sensed danger ahead, and quite a lot of it. Cave-in's were not a normal occurrence in the Underworld, the stone was just too thick to cave in. Someone had knocked that tunnel out.

"Keep moving, and keep alert. Something is happening."
Ash'vari said simply, his sharp eyes scanning the area. His eyes rested upon his protege, Killian.

"Don't go too far out Little Ember. Stay close."
He said sternly, that small trace of concern in his voice as always.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Sonor Val'Illhar'dro » Fri May 14, 2010 12:43 am

Suru's ears twitched a little bit as Killian's voice drifted by, advising her on some tactics. How wise, Suru would've asked the group to stick closer but Killian's plan made much more sense. Murmuring a word of thanks, Suru tapped the side of her mount and together she and the bird clipped on over to the other caravan leaders. Hastily, the kanoakas were paired up with one another and gradually drifted apart to allow room for fighting. The mercenaries hired by Suru, and those hired by independent merchants began grouping around their respective employers. It was very silent in the group now, only the faint shuffling of everyone as their goods and their feet dragged across rugged stone. Suru'sunduiri's brow knitted in confusion, their was no reason for the dvergars to attack...they did make an agreement, a compromise for safe passage. But then again, to trust a dvergar was such a costly thing to do....

Her mana tracker indicated the highest concentration of mana was far off from here, taking them off the usual route. As she closed the gap between Ash'vari and his group, she brought out a map of the Underworld. It was recently updated, but with cave ins and hidden dangers, the map always shifted. It was a convoluted mess of tunnel networks. As her small mana light illuminated the paper, her eyes could hardly detect their route. Just as she was about to call towards the caravan leaders again, a slow rumbling sound echoed throughout the cavern, a distant crashing, and more rumbling but this time closer in proximity. Stray rocks in the floors shook a little at the cause.

Earthquake? Impossible! The section leading from Chel'el'sussoloth to Val'Raveran was supposedly composed of stone too resistant towards those malignant forces. Hopping off her mount, she put it under the care of some of her helpers before she grabbed a spear and swung around to meet her group of Val Sullisin'rune. Just as she was taking her first steps towards them, a deafening explosion erupted in front of Suru'sunduiri, just a few feet away from her with loose stone flying into the air and the force of impact throwing Suru back.

And then it was just deafening. Lights, not of mana, but of gunpowder and flame arrived in short bursts as explosions, now very much present, echoed throughout the tunnel. Screams were heard, the lumbering sound of beasts as the cannons struck their sides and toppled them and their goods. Mercenaries were erecting joint mana shields to protect their own while independents rushed to find cover.

"Dvergar attack! Move to this way, move this way!"

One of the caravan leaders called out as he hopped down from the top of his mount and tried to direct the caravan onto another path. Suru lay dazed a bit, a few cuts on her face, a sore body and her pony tail had come loose, her long hair draping around her in a noble mess. Her ears still rung as she tried to prop herself up on her elbow, her eyes adjusting to the new and terrible sensations. On instinct, she dazedly tried to retrieve the papers of safe passage, but her hand kept missing the pack as she could hardly even stand up straight in the deafening melee.
Sonor Val'Illhar'dro
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Alric » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:34 am

Upon Ash'vari's appraisal of the situation, Ash'oka nodded in agreement. Tunnels such as these did not cave in by accident. Suddenly Ash'oka felt very naked standing out in the open unarmored. Not that the Sullisin'rune Val had any qualms about appearing nude in public (if he had been), but Ash'oka had an unshakable feeling that an attack was imminent. If so, he wished to be facing his opponent with more than just the clothes on his back.

"Hm, if you'd excuse me for a moment, Ash'vari..." said Ash'oka as he turned on the balls of his feet and entered his section of the koa'naka. Ash'oka quickly opened the cabinet where he had stored his armor and quickly began to don the gold-engraved plate armor. Just as Ash'oka had pulled on the last piece of his armor, the earth shook and a deafening roar filled the drowolath's ears. Ash'oka fell to the floor as the koa'naka stumbled; a slain beast had collided into the other in its death throes. With an oath, Ash'oka scrambled to his feet and made his way to the exit.

As he rushed out the door to confront the assailants, Ash'oka quickly drew his twin swords and looked to where the Illhar'dro mercenaries were setting up a stand before running over to them. "Is everyone alright?" he yelled, looking for Ash'vari and Killian in particular.
Alric
Dragon of the Nether

Next

Return to Drowtales Roleplay Archive