Archive of the pre-timeskip roleplays. If you wish to continue a pre-timeskip roleplay, you'll have to do so in the DT Freestyle subforum! PM Thalar to have a thread moved from this subforum to the Freestyle subforum.

OOC - suggestion?

Re: OOC - suggestion?

Postby grfu » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:43 pm

I begin to wonder if any of my old characters would even pass through this review process.

In regards to the no intelligent pets. My first character, a Beldrobbaen noble, has a guardian spider, clearly an intelligent pet. By this criteria, my character is no longer valid.

I'm beginning to see us lose focus here. We're too concerned with rules and regulations and have lost our vision of what the FFRPG was originally about: having fun. I'd rather us not worry too much about what is common, but rather what is possible. Anything is possible.

So, there's my piece. I would write more, but I'm distracted.
grfu
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Alric » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:45 pm

Thalar wrote:Yeah, I wrote that part, after a longer talk with Kern ^^
I'm not opposed to people making good attempts at creating something that's really rare, but such character sheets will always be held to a higher standard because of all the extra work that is necessary in order to make it work; finding a teacher that will actually teach you, for one. I'd rather not put a restriction in place unless it becomes necessary, because once a restriction is in place it takes a lot to lift it.

So.. Any of this that we've discussed which needs adding to the guidelines? Any other suggestions before they get posted officially?

Point taken. If a character is exceptionally good, then we can allow the player a little leeway to have rare affinities/etc. Same with intelligent pets; if it's canonically valid, and something a certain character would plausibly have (like grfu's character) then I don't see too much of a problem with it in most circumstances.
Alric
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Thalar » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:51 am

grfu wrote:In regards to the no intelligent pets. My first character, a Beldrobbaen noble, has a guardian spider, clearly an intelligent pet. By this criteria, my character is no longer valid.

A guardian spider is no more intelligent than a well-trained dog, according to Kern. So there is no conflict.
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby grfu » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:02 am

glad I cleared that one up
grfu
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Bamawing » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:38 am

I had an outside-the-box thought on this...

Another of my favorite webcomics just announced its own RP element. In contrast to ours, the players are all heroes that are in the business of saving the world,and each has his/her own superpower.

Reading that, it occurred to me that the DTRP is an RP of the everyday drow. That's directly related to the ban on Kern's NPCs, but it also underlies the rules on power limits and unusual characters. I can only speak for myself, but I think I'm right when I say that nobody's *against* powerful or unusual characters... it's just that they don't go *here.*

With that in mind, I have two suggestions.

1. Encourage something similar to "A League of Extraordinary Drow" in the Game Tavern. (Actually, that sounds like fun... would anyone like to help me GM that?)

2. A while back we thought about a rename of the FFRPG. We changed it to DTRPG... IIRC, no other possible name was mentioned. I have a different suggestion now: DDLRPG = Drow Daily Life Role Playing Game. I think that underscores the original purpose of this board, and sounds a little more creative.

What do y'all think?
Bamawing
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby blackshade10 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:55 pm

Unusual characters represent something different than just being unique or powerful in this RP though, at least for me. For me, it's a challenge. A challenge to make a character that is original and still acceptable for the DTRP, that beats the norm. I don't think they should be removed from restriction, but I like being able to have the chance to challenge myself.

I think if people want an Illharess level character or the like, a GT RP would be a good idea, and I'd more than be happy to help.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Bamawing » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:24 pm

I do hear ya on the challenge aspect of things. As far as in-command characters go, I've been toying with an idea that I'll shoot you a PM about. :D
Bamawing
Vel'akar

Postby Thalar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:43 am

grfu wrote:glad I cleared that one up

I'm sure you are :D

The guidelines are there to help the review assistants in their work, and they're also there for players who want an idea of how to make an approvable character without having to search through the newbie school thread, or ask the same questions as everyone else has in the past. I do not intend for these to catch all exceptions, to list all possibilities; they are called guidelines for a reason.

Anyway. I know those of you who have posted your interest are getting restless. I'm posting the guidelines as they are at the moment, then I'll do the preliminary reviews and post them. Once they are posted the game is on. Best of luck to all of you ^^ Please hand in your reviews to me by PM or in a conversation on Skype (PM me if you need my skype address for this) if you have it installed. Might also be preferable to send me the review in a text file (rtf, txt, odt, doc, docx) if it gets long. Oh, and you do not review your own character, for those that this applies to.
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby Thalar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:28 pm

Just a reminder here to those that notified me of their interest: Everyone who is interested, should review all the Refused characters, as well as the Conditionally approved one, posted in the first preliminary review round viewtopic.php?f=52&t=13949#p588897. Then send the reviews to me via PM or Skype (PM me with your Skype name if so, so I can add you).
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby Thalar » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:13 pm

Last call for review assistant applicants :)
Send me your reviews based on the first round of preliminary reviews by this weekend please, one or as many as you can ^^ By PM or on Skype (PM me for my skype name).
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby blackshade10 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:50 pm

Soooo, are we waiting on more applicants? Or just finalizing stuffz?
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Bamawing » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:35 pm

^ What he said.
Bamawing
Vel'akar

Postby Thalar » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:02 pm

All we're waiting for is for that elusive window of opportunity for me to have some time to get this finished. Which is now, finally. :U
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby Sir Malifact » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:24 pm

Very quick question, and forgive me if it sounds somewhat redundant, i saw the thread and thought that this would be a good place to ask >_<

Are you looking at the character-profiles that have not yet been reviewed in the 2.0 thread? My little Dwarf Berserker is waiting for approval. Not that I'm rushing you, or anyone else to get to him, I just wanted to know whether he actually would be reviewed in this.
Sir Malifact
Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby blackshade10 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:30 pm

Sir Malifact wrote:Very quick question, and forgive me if it sounds somewhat redundant, i saw the thread and thought that this would be a good place to ask >_<

Are you looking at the character-profiles that have not yet been reviewed in the 2.0 thread? My little Dwarf Berserker is waiting for approval. Not that I'm rushing you, or anyone else to get to him, I just wanted to know whether he actually would be reviewed in this.

The reviewers have been decided on. Your character will be reviewed once the prelims are up.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

PreviousNext

Return to Drowtales Roleplay Archive