Archive of the pre-timeskip roleplays. If you wish to continue a pre-timeskip roleplay, you'll have to do so in the DT Freestyle subforum! PM Thalar to have a thread moved from this subforum to the Freestyle subforum.

OOC - suggestion?

OOC - suggestion?

Postby Bamawing » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:50 pm

This thread is strictly OOC.

First off, I want to say that I am NOT complaining. I have a lot of fun on this board and I have the feeling that others do, too. But I saw a problem and I would like to open a discussion on how to solve it.

The problem I see is in character submissions. Don't panic - don't panic! I remember (in fact, I just re-read) the long, drawn out, complicated discussion we had a few years ago. (If you're curious, here it is: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=11238) I am NOT trying to re-open the discussion on central vs. GM-led submission acceptance. Our current system is fine (mostly) and just needs some tweaking.

So what's my beef? The time it takes to get approved. I'm not knocking anyone - Thalar is a sweetie AND up to her eyeballs in DT stuff. Anyone dissing on Thalar will have me to answer to. *evileye* But there are people who posted three months ago still waiting for approval.

What I suggest is Thalar gets some help with this. Character approval is a BIG JOB and it makes sense to me that two or even three people should be given authority to approve characters. This would mean that those authorized would have to agree on very specific guidelines... but that's not a problem. In fact, if those guidelines were public, they would probably *help* players develop approvable characters.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea? And what should those guidelines be?
Bamawing
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Re: OOC - suggestion?

Postby blackshade10 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:07 pm

I am always willing to help.

If it takes the strain off of Thalar, I would read through and approve Orthorbbae submissions, since I'm running that section of the RP board. :w
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Location: Ashie Cleavage, plotting war against those of the Zala cleavage.
Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Maria » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:21 pm

I think this is a great idea, and I'd be willing to help out. Hmm, as for the guidelines I believe they should be written by Thalar.
Maria
Vel'akar

Clan: Sharen

Postby Thalar » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:20 pm

Hmm. It is certainly an idea with merit. I am no happier about the delays than any of the players waiting to be approved.
Here's a suggestion: Read the current queue of unreviewed character sheets. I will post a list of guidelines as soon as possible. When I've done that, review all of them and send me your review - that'll count as your application. Your activity in the Newbie School thread will also be taken into account. It's probably a good idea to PM me if you're interested in this, as I will not be posting a deadline, at least not to begin with.

I'm not adverse to having more than one person taking care of character sheets, but I'm curious as to how it would be solved, especially if the appointed character reviewers disagree. Although I could arbitrate in such an event, of course.
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Bamawing » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:38 am

That's kind of what I had in mind - a system where you (Thalar) got final say but others could help streamline the process. I had a feeling that anything more official than that would require an OK from Kern.

I've had rubrics beaten into me, so I was thinking about a scale of 1-5 on ability, wealth, credibility, and equipment along with a yes/no for world setting compliance and basic literacy... maybe once Thalar gets her guidelines up, I can compile it into a worksheet of some description... if y'all think that would help. ^^;
Bamawing
Vel'akar

Postby blackshade10 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:45 am

Bamawing wrote:That's kind of what I had in mind - a system where you (Thalar) got final say but others could help streamline the process. I had a feeling that anything more official than that would require an OK from Kern.

I've had rubrics beaten into me, so I was thinking about a scale of 1-5 on ability, wealth, credibility, and equipment along with a yes/no for world setting compliance and basic literacy... maybe once Thalar gets her guidelines up, I can compile it into a worksheet of some description... if y'all think that would help. ^^;

What do you mean by 1-5? As in how strong theirs is, or how well balanced it is, etc?
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Bamawing » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:17 pm

blackshade10 wrote:What do you mean by 1-5? As in how strong theirs is, or how well balanced it is, etc?

Yes. For example:

believability - 1 for simply not going to work, 2 for needs serious tweaking, 3 for just needs a detail or two changed, 4 for this'll work, and 5 for outstanding credibility.

ability - 1 way too powerful/god moddy, 2 - needs serious tweaking, 3 - somewhat worrysome or not powerful enough, 4 for this'll work, and 5 for perfect balance.

grammar - 1 for textspeak because it makes Bama want to spork her eyeballs out, 2 for lazy typing but non-sporking offenses, 3 for having to ask constantly for clarification, 4 for minor spelling errors and 5 for Geez, are you an Engligh teacher?

A note: I'm going to be prejudiced in the grammar part, both because I *am* an English teacher and because I RP with a non-native speaker... and his English is improving leaps and bounds. So I would go easy on people who aren't familiar with this language. I'll admit it.

And all of these are just examples anyway. ^^
Bamawing
Vel'akar

Postby Alric » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:14 am

I think this is a great idea, and would be willing to help...unfortunately for the next two or three week's I'll be quite busy. Aside from that, I'll be able to help out.
Alric
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Thalar » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:02 pm

Okay. Exam season is over. I will be mulling over the review guidelines a little longer before I post them and start the countdown. This is a reminder: If you want to apply to be an assistant reviewer you should PM me to notify me of your interest.

Meanwhile, I've been thinking of how to actually go about this, when one or more reviewers have been selected. One possible solution that I thought of would be this; I could post a preliminary evaluation of every posted character sheet, indicating what works and what doesn't using a numerical scale going from unacceptable(0) to good(9), and evaluating categories like worldsetting accuracy, items and plausibility. That could serve as a guideline for the reviewers when writing the review, and would make it clear whether the character should be approved or disapproved. What takes time isn't looking at the character and finding out what works and what doesn't, but to write the review itself, which is why I thought this might be a workable solution. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby blackshade10 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:31 pm

Thalar wrote:Okay. Exam season is over. I will be mulling over the review guidelines a little longer before I post them and start the countdown. This is a reminder: If you want to apply to be an assistant reviewer you should PM me to notify me of your interest.

Meanwhile, I've been thinking of how to actually go about this, when one or more reviewers have been selected. One possible solution that I thought of would be this; I could post a preliminary evaluation of every posted character sheet, indicating what works and what doesn't using a numerical scale going from unacceptable(0) to good(9), and evaluating categories like worldsetting accuracy, items and plausibility. That could serve as a guideline for the reviewers when writing the review, and would make it clear whether the character should be approved or disapproved. What takes time isn't looking at the character and finding out what works and what doesn't, but to write the review itself, which is why I thought this might be a workable solution. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

I think this solution seems reasonable, though I'd like to add this in as well.

Seeing as we are more or less making an evaluation team, we are going to have to WORK as a team. The biggest problem causer for this sort of thing would be miscommunication. I know that nothing would piss me off more than sitting down to finish a review and finding another reviewer having already done it themselves. Not only is it wasted work and time on my part, but it hurts the application process as I could have been reviewing another character instead. As such, I think we need to have some kind of private channel, since review process in public would get messy for a variety of reasons, such as perhaps Skype or Yahoo messenger and the like. Seeing as many of us live in different timezones, I would suggest Skype, since we can make a conference and then just post something for people to read at another time, in case they are busy(Though a full on conversation would be wonderful).

Other than that, I approve of your suggestion Thalar. :]
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Thalar » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:01 pm

Good suggestion, especially as Skype allows for leaving messages for others to read at a later time.
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby blackshade10 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:03 pm

Thalar wrote:Good suggestion, especially as Skype allows for leaving messages for others to read at a later time.

Right! :D

Teamwork is key. :3

Another concern though: Should reviewers post their reviews as they finish them or at the same time as other reviewers? While it would allow people to get in a bit faster, I do fear that some people might feel a tad left out as others get passed before them.
blackshade10
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Thalar » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:11 am

blackshade10 wrote:Another concern though: Should reviewers post their reviews as they finish them or at the same time as other reviewers? While it would allow people to get in a bit faster, I do fear that some people might feel a tad left out as others get passed before them.

In the interest of getting people through the registration process sooner - as soon as the review is finished it should be posted, imo.

And Bama - I'm sorry, my idea is basically the same as you posted above, which is what got me thinking about doing a preliminary review in the first place. Thanks for giving me that idea ^^
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby Kalandrin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:50 am

I would also suggest Skype for such a thing. That being said, I'd like to take part in the review team.
Kalandrin
Drider Knight

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Bamawing » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:49 pm

I'm glad I helped, Thalar. ^^

I would prefer a closed thread for discussions - it would be a little more open. OK, and I can't get Skype to install. *blush*

But if I ever do, I'm interested!
Bamawing
Vel'akar

Next

Return to Drowtales Roleplay Archive