Archive of the pre-timeskip roleplays. If you wish to continue a pre-timeskip roleplay, you'll have to do so in the DT Freestyle subforum! PM Thalar to have a thread moved from this subforum to the Freestyle subforum.

Val'Raveran | The Bazaar

Re: Val'Raveran | The Bazaar

Postby django » Thu May 19, 2011 9:42 pm

Garrus went quiet as Tai'ka told him about truth and personal future. He forget about the pain in his ear and felt like a child being caught red handed writing love letters to a girl by his mother walking into his room. It took every ounce of his will power to keep his blushing and the shock down to a minimum.

"Sound good to me." Garrus had the same plan in mind. "Me and Tae will go around the western section and we'll meet you back in the center in an hour or so if we dont find anything. I'll also take Nathen with us since non of the boys are Inquisitors." He smiled and waved the girls off.

"Come along liddle buddy we got some searching to do." Despite his smiles, he had a lot on his mind and wasn't sure how to feel about what just happened. Did Aival like him? really like him or just like him? Hell what was he suppose to do, say 'I love you' or something. He didn't think he could pull that off without her thinking hes just being an ass again. Besides she didn't seem to get phased like he did, maybe the feelings aren't mutual. Maybe she'll think there getting too close and get new templar
django
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Thu May 19, 2011 9:48 pm

Serra'tae smiled to himself in a "I am quietly happy right now" sort of way. He bowed slightly to Aiva and Tai'ka.

"With your leave then, miladies," he said, before turning and joining Garrus. "So, what's the plan?" he asked Garrus. "Do we go into the back alleys, or do we role play as the Inquisition?"
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Improbable odds » Sun May 22, 2011 5:46 am

With a final bow Nathan departed with Garrus and Serra'tae keeping pace a couple or so feet behind the pair until they left the sight of their companions, leaving the trio effectively on their own for the time being. He quickened his steps for a short time as he made it a point to catch up with the two he was following along with. He still had few questions to ask, though they really didn't pertain to the task at hand. It made him feel just a little uneasy that he could even think about other things at this time, but Nathan was a curious fellow and just couldn't resist asking questions when the opportunity arose.

"Ah, sorry guys, but while we're walking here would you mind if I asked you a few questions? I know I would feel a whole lot less embarrassed if I knew a little bit about the [people who were helping me." he walked alongside of them as he spoke, his stride never broken despite not actively looking where he was going. If anything Nathan was quite quick on his feet, as numerous times he avoided running into people without even have to break his stride or look away to judge where he was going. He just kept on walking along, chatting away.

"You see I don't actually recognize the clan you all are from, at least I assume you're all from the same clan given how familiar you all seem to be with each other. That's my fault really, on the surface I never had to deal with anyone other than the Nal'Sarkoth or the Illhar'dro, or occasionally a group of raiders from the Sarghress. I heard from a caravan guard once that there are nine clans in total, though I'm sure you're already aware of that." he could just go on and on and on and he likely would if nobody stopped him.

"You know this is my first time actually under the surface? Well I had planned on coming down here eventually, maybe not exactly here but to one of your cities, though I wish I could have come under better circumstances. I had always wondered what your cities looked like, and I must say they're quite a bit different than anything on the surface. How is it that you can ever get used to how dark it is down here? I swear I miss the sun already!" he clapped Garrus on the shoulder once as they walked, laughing heartily.

"Then again I don't know if you've ever even seen the sun before! If everything goes well and we track my daughter down I would be more than happy to take you and your comrades up for a look around. I heard many say the surface is a barren wasteland, but you wouldn't say that if you saw it!" how he could keep talking and how he managed to keep in such high spirits during such a search was anybody's guess, but his determination to find his daughter seemed only to be matched by his fascination with this strange city he found himself in.
Improbable odds
Tainted

Postby Kail'odian » Tue May 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Taika placed a hand inside her pocket at her waist, retrieving her black blindfold-hankerchief as the boys split into their group to head West. Removing her hood for a moment to reveal a solid color of purplish-blue hair with dull pink ends, the Inquisitor placed her bandana above her forehead and on her bangs, tying it secure on the back of her head.

"Looks like it is just us two girls, Lady Aiva'ihl." She said while looking up and making sure her hair was fine when they walked, before looking to the Warden with confidence. It was her work blindfold which Tai'ka had placed on her head and ready to pull down in front of her eyes if necessary as she put her hooded shall back up to restore her previous appearance. With sincere eyes and a confident step besides Aiva, Tai'ka turned the opposite direction Garrus went.

"Shall we? We can perform two tasks at once here; the search, and you can show me around the area. If that's alright, because Garrus said he would before you arrived."
Kail'odian
Vel'akar

Clan: Sharen

Postby Reva » Tue May 31, 2011 6:47 pm

Aiva'ihl reached the small pocket in the back of her belt in search for a small hairband. In a swift movement she tied a good portion of hair so the bangs wouldn't keep falling on her face in case they were forced to make good on their Inquisition threats.

- It seems so... - She thought quietly to herself. The market was a pretty confusing place, with sections that changed every day as the shopkeepers saw fit. It wouldn't be easy to cover it all...

- Certainly. I advise we try to stay on the main street, though. These alleyways are more confusing and you literally never know what you will find there since the stands move around so much. This way.

((Sorry guys... Crappy internet and a food intoxication on the last two days... Not my lucky month =p))
Reva
Vel'akar

Postby django » Tue May 31, 2011 8:31 pm

Garrus had to clear his head and get these thoughts about his warden out of his head for the moment. Thankfully Serra'tae and Nathen gave him something else to think about.

"No worries Nathen. We are all from the Kyorl'solenurn clan, myself and Serra'tae are Templars or male worriers, Aiva is a warden a female warrior, and Taika is an Inquisitor." Garrus said as he turned his head to Nathen. "But Chel has nine major clan and Raven has five*. Chel is another much larger and deeper city. And I've been to the surface a several times in my life, just recently got back from a little mushroom trip with a little illo kid and my Avial."

"I wouldn't mind going back one day."

He then turned his attention to Serratae. "So I guess I am in charge now huh. We'll keep to the main street and browse at the stocks, an untrained human slave usually goes around for 5 to 10 ada pieces. So I might know were to look." Garrus waved at them to follow.

Leading them deeper into the slave market. Things were unpleasant looking as any slave market looked, several cages were filled, mostly with Ferals. While others were chained together. Every race you could imagine was for sale here.

"Well they usually keep the humans over here. So stay calm and keep your eyes out."
django
Dragon of the Nether

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Tue May 31, 2011 9:56 pm

"Should we be worried about combat?" asked Serra'tae. "I haven't done much in terms of exploration and am unfamiliar with the territory."
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby django » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:18 am

"As Templars we should always be worried about combat." Garrus said as he turned to Serra'tae. "We'll never know when danger strikes. But at the same time, ninety percent of this job is walking and waiting. A whole lot of nothing and a whole lot of walking. Only a small ten percent of our job is actual combat."

"Sharess Kid you make it sound like were going into the middle of a Sharen den looking for dragon eggs, your making me nervous." Garrus said with a grin and a light hearted tone, not nervious in the slightest.

(I don't want to get too far ahead of everyone else.)
django
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Improbable odds » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:48 pm

He never even broke stride as the conversation between his two companions took a bit of a darker turn, trying to think back to what he had learned so many years ago. It brought back feelings of nostalgia and the faces of men he hadn't seen in many, many ears. Still he was going to try and keep this as lighthearted as possible, as far as he was concerned there was no need to bring about burdens on anyone here other than himself.

"Now now lads." he began as he took a few steps ahead of the pair of templars. "I believe you're both right, from what I can gather. On the one hand you probably shouldn't expect anyone to come at you swords swinging, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be -prepared- in case somebody does. I mean you two are the law in this city, right?" he maintained his pace, even walking backwards. He even managed to avoid bumping into anyone or anything as he went, though this might have been because the crowds simply weren't as thick here as they were in the larger and more open parts of the market. "That's just the old training talking to me though. You two probably have more experience with a blade than I do anyway! It's been over ten years since I've had to use a sword and I would like to keep it that way." that was another thing, aside from the long length of slender bent wood that was his bow Nathan kept slung over one shoulder he didn't actually carry a real weapon, not out in the open anyway. He had his quiver of arrows, though they didn't do much good seeing as his bow wasn't even strung.

"Anyway, I still don't understand fully why they would take a small girl anyway! She's not even strong or big enough to do any real serious labor!" he looked back to the pair of templars, still facing them as he walked on. "Actually, if you don't me asking, what do you two think of all this...slavery? I don't think I need to tell you how I feel, but it couldn't hurt to know how the other side thinks." a genuine question if his face had anything to say about it, albeit maybe a bit personal.
Improbable odds
Tainted

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:56 pm

django wrote:..."Sharess Kid you make it sound like were going into the middle of a Sharen den looking for dragon eggs, your making me nervous." Garrus said with a grin and a light hearted tone, not nervious in the slightest.

(I don't want to get too far ahead of everyone else.)

"Funnily enough, the last two missions I went on were going into a Vloz'ress den and smashing up some Naga. Wasn't terribly difficult, except for the one Vloz who insisted on throwing around enough fireballs to roast enough halmes for a feast celebrating Sharess's return. Honestly, the friggen pyro...."

Improbable odds wrote:..."Anyway, I still don't understand fully why they would take a small girl anyway! She's not even strong or big enough to do any real serious labor!" he looked back to the pair of templars, still facing them as he walked on. "Actually, if you don't me asking, what do you two think of all this...slavery? I don't think I need to tell you how I feel, but it couldn't hurt to know how the other side thinks." a genuine question if his face had anything to say about it, albeit maybe a bit personal.

Serra'tae shrugged. "As unjust slavery is, I can't say that it's not useful. We drow, be we drowolath or drowussu, are strong, it is true, but we are of fewer number then halmes, humans to you, Nathan, ferals, or other races. Frankly, we simply don't have the numbers to continue increasing the size of our cities without slaves. Personal slaves are nice as well, especially the ones who have experience in keeping armor and weapons. It would certainly be a joy if I could take my armor off and hand it to a slave I know will take care of it at the end of a long day.

However, I feel that you can't treat your slaves as slaves. If nothing else, treat them like pets, y'know? Slaves need to be taught and disciplined, but treat them cruelly and you debase yourself to a level reminiscent of demons. What's the point in being a higher civilization if you can't be civil, right? I'll admit that I've never had any slaves, so I don't know what it's like owning one, but it seems like it wouldn't be terribly difficult to give your thanks when a slave brings you your boots, y'know?

I guess my point is: slavery isn't the best thing ever created, and there really must be a better way to get large amounts of labor, but it doesn't need to be a cruel institution. I have a hatred for those that abuse their slaves and make a point of... making my feelings known if I encounter it, but I see too many benefits to completely call it cruel and unusual. If a few laws prohibiting cruelty toward slaves were invoked and enforced, I must admit that it would have my full support.

I'm sorry, Nathan, for your loss, but if your daughter has been purchased by a good master, I really can't say I'd have too many objections. It is infinitely safer here, in Raveran, with several armed drowussu like Garrus and I around to protect the city then on the surface, where raiding bands of warriors and wild animals could end her life prematurely."

((Wow. Long post is LONG. I am so going to get flamed to hell, aren't I? Nevertheless, I shall forge ahead and see what happens.))

((Also, I feel compelled to make the following points clear:

1. Serra'tae is only supportive of slavery as long as it is useful.
2. Serra'tae will NOT stand for any cruelty and is definitely for Slave Rights.
3. Serra'tae has spent most of his career till now fighting the Taint in Chel and Raveran, and is mostly naive to the rest of world. Stabbing Vlozzies in the chest doesn't leave you much time to see the rest of the Underworld, after all.
4. Serra'tae's opinions generally stem from BOOK KNOWLEDGE only. Again, he has little real-world experience in such things as slavery.

Just in case you go TL;DR. ))
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby Kail'odian » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:33 pm

[[Oh Reva, sorry to hear that and I hope you get well soon. ^^ / DeadPigeonGolem, I read it all. It's about the same length I usually make in posts. Schoolwork keeps me from adding extra.

On a note for myself, Im in the last week and a half of school and Im lucky to get a post here now to be honest because of how busy I am. Just a FYI to all folks. ^^]]

[[Edit: Done school now, so I'm able to post a little more now. ^^]]

"The streets are similar to the Klarbol market in Chel then?" Tai'ka asked, remembering the old streets of the marketplace in her home city to be as mobile as a loose demon aura. "It may be more difficult to find anyone we seek of his daughter's description than I thought." Spoke the Inquisitor, frowning for a moment as she scanned ahead into the crowds for any particular halmes. She detected some individuals, but many were faint contacts and were too far away to really tell if they were scared for being owned, or just browsing about in Raveran. As they began their walk through the wares and crowds, Tai'ka felt a little talkative as she wanted to get a feel for the Warden she was now paired with besides just sensing her thoughts with empathy.

"Warden, I did not mean to overstep any personal space you and Garrus had as you both spoke causually with each other. It.. was more an observation than meant to be anything else." She said with a small smile before turning neutral and concentrating in looking for their target.
Kail'odian
Vel'akar

Clan: Sharen

Postby django » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:29 pm

Funnily enough, the last two missions I went on were going into a Vloz'ress den and smashing up some Naga. Wasn't terribly difficult, except for the one Vloz who insisted on throwing around enough fireballs to roast enough halmes for a feast celebrating Sharess's return. Honestly, the friggen pyro...."

"Gesh, sounds like one hell of a time."

Garrus was a little surpised that Serra'tae was knew a lot out the slave trade. He also thought Serra'tae didn't mean anything by talking about the slave trade but as a former father he found it almost appalling that Serra'tae was talking about someone daughter being taken and possibly bought by some one else in such a way.

He pulled in Serra'tae in by his shoulders and whispered quitely in a harshly tone "Serra'tae you have no idea whats it like losing a child. Stop talking about slavery to this man or I'll stop it." it was unsual for Garrus to speak in such a harsh tone but it rubbed him the wrong way. "I understand you didn't mean anything by it but you... really have no idea what this man is going through. No man whats to hear about how somebody is going to own their child."
django
Dragon of the Nether

Postby DeadPigeonGolem » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:33 am

django wrote:Funnily enough, the last two missions I went on were going into a Vloz'ress den and smashing up some Naga. Wasn't terribly difficult, except for the one Vloz who insisted on throwing around enough fireballs to roast enough halmes for a feast celebrating Sharess's return. Honestly, the friggen pyro...."

"Gesh, sounds like one hell of a time."

Garrus was a little surpised that Serra'tae was knew a lot out the slave trade. He also thought Serra'tae didn't mean anything by talking about the slave trade but as a former father he found it almost appalling that Serra'tae was talking about someone daughter being taken and possibly bought by some one else in such a way.

He pulled in Serra'tae in by his shoulders and whispered quitely in a harshly tone "Serra'tae you have no idea whats it like losing a child. Stop talking about slavery to this man or I'll stop it." it was unsual for Garrus to speak in such a harsh tone but it rubbed him the wrong way. "I understand you didn't mean anything by it but you... really have no idea what this man is going through. No man whats to hear about how somebody is going to own their child."

Serra'tae grimaced. Dammit, this is what he got for not trying harder to fit in. No social skills.

"Erm... sorry, Nathan, if I've caused you any discomfort. Err.. well... there's really no excuse for my behavior..."
DeadPigeonGolem
Vel'akar

Postby Improbable odds » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:17 am

Words sometimes held more force than any army or any magic that one could find however there were also times when one could find a mind that even the harshest, coldest, most depressing words could not shake. Sometimes conviction and the belief in something, anything at all,could assuage the loss of even family.

"No, no. You've said nothing that offends me at all, either of you. You gave your honest opinion on the matter and I respect that, most men would simply seek to console a man in my position with words that even they did not believe to be true. However you spoke your mind even if you knew I would most likely not like what you had to say. I respect that my friend." he smiled, pausing for a moment to look through the bars of a holding area they passed by. He knew looking in there was futile as he had already come by here several times prior to meeting his newly found company, but he couldn't tear himself away as he walked by once more.

"No, it's quite the opposite actually. There are actually several things you said that I find myself agreeing with. While I don't think you should ever treat another person as property I can understand why you might need labor to build cities such as this. They are indeed very magnificent and I would bet my last few coins it would take nothing short of a massive number of people to construct it. However you are right in saying there are other ways you might be able to find workers, perhaps after this is done I will work to try to get my kind -hired- to work rather than forced to do such by threat of punishment or death. " he fell quiet for a brief moment after that in hopes that he might let his words settle in before he continued, and so that he could collect himself to come to terms with exactly what he was about to admit.

"Out of all that you said though the one thing that I almost hate to tell myself is that you're absolutely right about her being safer down here, as a slave, than on the surface with me. I hate to think it, I hate to know that I'm so weak as a man that I cannot even make a home safe for my family to live in. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. Here she might be able to get an education, even if all that is is learning how to read and write! She'll have a peaceful life, hopefully, and that's all I ever wished for her. I just wanted her to be happy and safe, but it seems that if I cannot make good on that promise than perhaps someone here might. So when I do find her and providing she has been purchased by somebody I'll have to judge whether or not I have any objections either. If they seem kind and fair like you good folk are then I will put aside my personal objections for her sake, no matter how much it hurts my heart and my pride." he took a deep breath and put one hand over his breast, feeling his chest heave up and down for a moment before the serious expression on his face softened once more.

"My apologies for that. My heart feels lighter now knowing that I have that off my chest, so perhaps now we might focus on the task at hand, hm?" he flashed another faint upturn of his lips before he paused, looking down a small side alley off the street they were on. It wasn't very large boasting only a single storefront at the far end wedge between two buildings, but it was someplace he -hadn't- yet checked. "We should stop and check here, I haven't visited this place yet and it's at least worth a try."
Improbable odds
Tainted

Postby Reva » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:38 pm

Kail'odian wrote:[[Oh Reva, sorry to hear that and I hope you get well soon. ^^ / DeadPigeonGolem, I read it all. It's about the same length I usually make in posts. Schoolwork keeps me from adding extra.

On a note for myself, Im in the last week and a half of school and Im lucky to get a post here now to be honest because of how busy I am. Just a FYI to all folks. ^^]]

[[Edit: Done school now, so I'm able to post a little more now. ^^]]

"The streets are similar to the Klarbol market in Chel then?" Tai'ka asked, remembering the old streets of the marketplace in her home city to be as mobile as a loose demon aura. "It may be more difficult to find anyone we seek of his daughter's description than I thought." Spoke the Inquisitor, frowning for a moment as she scanned ahead into the crowds for any particular halmes. She detected some individuals, but many were faint contacts and were too far away to really tell if they were scared for being owned, or just browsing about in Raveran. As they began their walk through the wares and crowds, Tai'ka felt a little talkative as she wanted to get a feel for the Warden she was now paired with besides just sensing her thoughts with empathy.

"Warden, I did not mean to overstep any personal space you and Garrus had as you both spoke causually with each other. It.. was more an observation than meant to be anything else." She said with a small smile before turning neutral and concentrating in looking for their target.

- Yes, similar, but still quite a bit safer after the complete purge the city went through. The Illhar'dro command the city, so we are collaborating with them to make sure it remains that way. - Aiva agreed with both statements with a nod.

Aiva'ihl didn't seem bothered at all at the more personal turn the conversation took. That was the way she and her pair worked, how they acted and that was enough to dismiss any awkwardness.

- I didn't mind it at all. I understand that the way one acts may serve as an invitation for others to join the casual tone. However... - Aiva'ihl frowned - Now that I think of it, Garrus went quiet very suddenly, didn't he? That's unusual of him.
Reva
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to Drowtales Roleplay Archive