Share your original artwork, music, and stories here.

Pitdragon's Other Bits

Pitdragon's Other Bits

Postby Pitdragon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:58 am

Blah, here, I'll toss up some of my not-so-Drowtales stuff.

I have two playthroughs of Dragon Age I will import to Dragon Age 2 - a human mage that I need to really get done with Awakenings with (and Witch Hunt) and a Dalish rogue (going to try out an archer spec) which I will only do Origins and Witch Hunt with, with completely different choices. Instead of finding middle grounds like I did with the Mage, the Dalish will do what is available in front of her at the time (no sifting for a "third option" for a certain moral quandary quest) and what her bias will push for. And will probably actually hunt down Morrigan instead of try to find her to figure out what's up like the Mage would.

I might make a bigger compilation pic involving Merrill and Fenris from DA2 where the two are sitting and certain scenes (like this one) will appear around them, as if Merrill is talking about her old friend who became the Hero of Ferelden. Mostly because some of Fenris's appearance amused me in relation to how I modded my Dalish later in the game. Though the hair style isn't on her yet - I'll have to import the Male Elf braid into Blender to stitch it to a Female's skullcap feature. Why they didn't let females have braids too I'll never know.

Also I know the Dalish's left arm looks weird - it should be drawn as if it sticks out off frame, but I was proud of that hand turning out well so I'll deal with it looking weird. Merrill is in her DA2 garb (sorta) and Tamlen is there. This is pre-Origin events.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Jaal'darya

Re: Pitdragon's Other Bits

Postby Pitdragon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:00 am

And this is how it really went between Arthas and Illidan:

Seriously, the dude is wearing a blindfold!
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Pitdragon » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:57 am

Revamped version of the Poe Trader/Ghost Hunter from The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I wanted him to be more mysterious, and possibly to have an intriguing background.

Here's a color test with color pencils. I was at work so I used a copy machine on the pencil line-art and then colored the copy.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Pitdragon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:18 am

Another doodle of the Poe Trader, this time as Link meets him on the road to Ikana Valley. If Link is wearing the Garo Mask, the Trader will sprout from the ground a dead tree trunk for Link to hookshot to, which will allow the boy to continue on to the canyon and all its creepy happenings.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Pitdragon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:47 am

Been a while since I posted other bits. I've had others I've liked but here's something new:

Pacifica of Scrapped Princess.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Dalvyserran » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:36 pm

Oh damn, scrapped Princess... I won a T-shirt of that anime years ago at a convention, but I never actually thought to check it out. I heard it got cancelled early.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Pitdragon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:45 am

It did have a conclusive end, though I do wonder how much was cut out from the original light novel length now that you mention that. I did enjoy the anime - I don't think it did anything new necessarily but I felt it did what it did well. Two characters, Pacifica (there) and Leo, had the chance of being the people you want to murder - the princess type who you'd think would whine at a high-pitch and frequency and the doofus knight that just never got it (perhaps a Gourry type). But they didn't. And that pleased me greatly. Nice to see a young female anime character that spends less time "woe is I" whining and is torn with honoring what her protectors want to do versus just dying and saving everyone the suffering. That scene where she offered the bounty hunter to take back her hand as "proof" he killed her and asked Leo to do the deed I think did a good job showing they weren't just static, goofy characters (really liked Leo after that, since he transcended the Cloud Cuckoolander trope).

Not to say everything was perfect or they were the greatest characters ever (the Mr. Soupy thing didn't do it for me Raquel deserved more relevancy than I felt she was given, and Shannon made me want to crack his head a few times, he got rather cliche torn-hero), but it went a long way for them being more than tolerable and me actually wanting to see what happened. And the fight in the first episode for some reason really hooked me. Not to mention it was the only anime I felt that had an "amnesia" arc that actually held some relevance and wasn't just a throw-away gag for a filler episode. Add in very well done English dub and I enjoyed it pretty well, even with the genre shift (that wasn't too surprising I guess seeing how the spells looked).

And you know, the weird references to guns in names and all that. Winia Chester will make it obvious if the gods Browning and Mauser didn't already get you thinking... The story ended up pretty odd and "huh" in retrospect at times, but overall I enjoyed it.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Pitdragon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:55 am

(It's sort-of big, you might have to look at the DA version of it by clicking on it.)

If I ever got around to building a 3-3.5 campaign world, this guy would pop up often to drop quests for a group that doesn't mind following a story (and perhaps drop a quest a bit less frequently for a group that likes the money when it shows up but doesn't want to be steered anywhere, unless I'm super clever about it and they don't catch on).

He is also the father of all of Vaelia's ninja kids. ALL OF THEM. (I kid, of course)

Just wanted to practice more with digital everything, including a bit of how lighting goes in and a simple background. I have a lot to learn still :L .
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Leopardwerecat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:16 pm

I like this guy's design, very sophisticated-looking. *heehee*

Although, by Ariel Logic, all of Vaelia's kids would not only inherit her slash scars, but their daddy's (burn?) scars as well. D:

One thing I would like to point out though is his eyes, they're nicely coloured, but they seem a bit out of place compared to the rest of the picture, seeing as all the details on the face except the background and cloak are lined in black.
Leopardwerecat
Demon

Location: Patiently waiting for the war to end at the Jaal'darya Citadel.

Postby is-ness » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:54 pm

Your lighting in this is really good! Lighting for me is a hit and miss, but I think you got it just right. If there are errors in this one, I don't notice them. But above all, my favorite part of the piece is the scar. I keep staring at it because it's very well done!

On the background, I'd suggest a different wood color for the paneling so it sets off the color of the figure a little better. You might also consider defining the actual panels of wood a little more.

What art program do you use?
is-ness
Tainted

Postby Pitdragon » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:53 am

Leopardwerecat wrote:Although, by Ariel Logic, all of Vaelia's kids would not only inherit her slash scars, but their daddy's (burn?) scars as well. D:

Yeah, though not fire. I always wondered why people treated "acid splash" as if it were no big thing. IT'S ACID. :A

One thing I would like to point out though is his eyes, they're nicely coloured, but they seem a bit out of place compared to the rest of the picture, seeing as all the details on the face except the background and cloak are lined in black.

I was trying to go for some sort of vague reflection of a theoretical fire in the room, but yeah, I kept fudging with it. I should've gone for less is more I guess *hmmm*. I wasn't sure how jarring leaving the original ink lines in was or not.

is-ness wrote:Your lighting in this is really good! Lighting for me is a hit and miss, but I think you got it just right. If there are errors in this one, I don't notice them. But above all, my favorite part of the piece is the scar. I keep staring at it because it's very well done!

I'm glad I took out the line art for it then. Originally I had inked the lines around them in and then just sorta did a coloring under. But it made it look like goop was on his face. *upset* So I erased them and muddled around with some tutorial suggestions and VERY light browsing of scar pictures. I don't like people getting hurt, so I couldn't stomach much of even a google search of "chemical burns". It's still "pretty" compared to some of the stuff I saw. But then again, it isn't the result of a direct hit so I figured it wouldn't be too intensive. I left in the wobbly lines at the jaw line to hopefully indicate how the skin thickened and atrophied about the bone.

On the background, I'd suggest a different wood color for the paneling so it sets off the color of the figure a little better. You might also consider defining the actual panels of wood a little more.

What art program do you use?

Yeah, I got a bit lazy on the wood. I haven't really drawn any before and am terribly undisciplined ^^;. I also didn't have a lighting scheme really in mind when I went with it. It probably should look a bit older or darker. I should play Skyrim more and eyeball those walls. :3

I use GIMP. Because I'm cheap and I highly suspect I'll never be professional about this (I'm a physicist, Jim, not an artist!). But I'm getting used to it, finding brushes and plugins that give it a bit more oomph.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby is-ness » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:34 pm

GIMP's good. GIMP has layers, and I assume it lets you toggle brush opacity and size. That's really all you need.

I don't think you got lazy with the background. A simple background is supposed to be simple. It just needs a little more detail, that's all. You've already got some lines that make up where the panels go. Use a low opacity dark shadow color and sketch around those lines to define the shadows between wood panels a little more. Then, use uneven but mostly horizontal lines to sketch in lightly a grain to the panels.

And give it a few knots. Make a new layer, add a dot or a spiral on the wood in a darker color, then smudge it really good in the same direction as the grain (in your case, left to right). Some knots will only go left and some will only go right, while others will go in both directions. You don't need many knots but two or three would look nice, I think.
is-ness
Tainted

Postby Pitdragon » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:49 am

Yeah, I know I should get on another fun page of Khal antics, but I've been waiting for the motivation to hit me just right so I can give it a better go at backgrounds.

Instead, I finished something I started a bit ago when I first got my new tablet. It's eh for line art (using the Ink Tool in GIMP is alright, but smoother inking comes in Inkscape I feel), but I wanted to finish it. I had some time the other day despite busy work stuff, so I finally finished up colors, lighting, and Sylphy in the background. I still could tweak it but I might just leave it be. Maybe I'll print it out as a bookmark too.

Dryden Fassa, best character in Escaflowne, amirite? You better try to get him back, Millerna, leave Allen in the past and don't look back!
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Pitdragon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:17 am

Inktool in GIMP has improved massively. While I've considered checking out something like Manga Studio out, I'm on the fence now that I feel the Inktool responds better and allows some smoothing so I don't have thick, doofy, wobbly lines. Now if I win that contest they had for a Wacom Cinque that I entered and should be putting out some sort or result soon... who am I kidding?

I am doingdid another banner from scratch that I've just flat-colored of a firebird. I might try and figure out the CSS for making them title headers and footers for my journal on DA. I also plan on redlining that Gia'trosa and E'met pic over in the DT fanart area, but kinda got hit with the "pretty up your journal" bug first.

Inked and colored in GIMP, off the pencil picture I did a while back for this guy.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Pitdragon » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:05 am

New image for a new incarnation of the show.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Return to Art hall