Share your original artwork, music, and stories here.

When Acute Ineptitude Strikes

When Acute Ineptitude Strikes

Postby Seraphiel » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:28 pm

Recently I found myself wanting to try my hand at creating some fanart, using Ariel as an image reference. I have a high-resolution capable optical mouse, and a stylus/tablet..

Both methods ended in resounding failure. *sweatdrop* ugly lines that bore no resemblance to the reference image, even in the 'misshapen blob/stick figure' category. For several years in the past I'd tried my hand at using pencils (colored and otherwise), yet I could never get things quite the way I wanted, even after I'd worn packs of pencils down to the nub. I have good hand-eye coordination, yet what I put down on paper isn't at all what I see it looking like in my head..Plus I get bad hand cramping early on. There was a time where I came close...Yet my attempts at putting in humanlike detail - making the figure I was drawing look like a person - resulted in ugliness, and I could never do hands or faces at all.

Does anyone have any tips? Aside from artists' school. ^^;
Seraphiel
Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Re: When Acute Ineptitude Strikes

Postby jrhindo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:51 pm

Post your triesa and maybe we can help.
jrhindo
Demon

Postby Hellsion » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:07 pm

yeah dude we cant help you if we don't know what we are working with.
Hellsion
Vel'akar

Clan: Valley'gurl

Postby Seraphiel » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:10 pm

Those pencil tries I mentioned are several years old, I don't have them anymore actually. :S I might however be able to scan something in the next few days.
Seraphiel
Demon

Postby Seraphiel » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:59 pm

I actually went and scanned a rough sketch I did in about 10-15 minutes. I've been rather out of practice and It didn't go as well as I'd hoped. I'd used an image here on DT as a reference (I did -not- trace...just visual reference):

http://www.drowtales.com/~daydream/shad ... Notice.jpg

and my sketch *tear* *sweatdrop*:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_le8q0Tyc-CY/TGsEl ... ketch1.jpg

^^; I couldn't get the right eye exactly the way I wanted, and when I sketched the outline of the nose, it looked horribly deformed.
Seraphiel
Demon

Postby jrhindo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:42 am

Its not THAT bad :w I can do worse shit.

Well i dunno, try to do the whole body first?
Like try to get the general proportions before making details like the noze.
jrhindo
Demon

Postby Seraphiel » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:21 pm

jrhindo wrote:Its not THAT bad :w I can do worse shit.

Well i dunno, try to do the whole body first?
Like try to get the general proportions before making details like the noze.

Yeah, that's my whole issue I think.. proportions for me all make sense locally, but when you look at the big picture, things end up looking lopsided or off-scale.
Seraphiel
Demon

Postby jrhindo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:40 am

Seraphiel wrote:Yeah, that's my whole issue I think.. proportions for me all make sense locally, but when you look at the big picture, things end up looking lopsided or off-scale.

Try to do the body outline just to see.
jrhindo
Demon

Postby Seraphiel » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:34 am

jrhindo wrote:
Seraphiel wrote:Yeah, that's my whole issue I think.. proportions for me all make sense locally, but when you look at the big picture, things end up looking lopsided or off-scale.

hmm, spent some time watching people draw at iScribble.com - many thanks to Hellsion for the reference! - and I figured that my freeform drawing - sketching things without any frames of reference in place - was hurting me big time. *doh* gonna hook up the art tablet soon to see if I can do it. :w
Seraphiel
Demon

Postby jrhindo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:07 am

Oh iScribble looks very nice. A better place to learn to here *wutno*
Just keep in mind that poeple have their own methods to everything andmightnot work for others.

Good luck
jrhindo
Demon

Postby Hellsion » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:56 am

Seraphiel wrote:
jrhindo wrote:

hmm, spent some time watching people draw at iScribble.com - many thanks to Hellsion for the reference! - and I figured that my freeform drawing - sketching things without any frames of reference in place - was hurting me big time. *doh* gonna hook up the art tablet soon to see if I can do it. :w

you are welcome.
Hellsion
Vel'akar

Clan: Valley'gurl

Postby Seraphiel » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:48 pm

in the meantime, I tried out some of what I saw and learned over at that site...made a little scribble..

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_le8q0Tyc-CY/TG2mR ... 2/bleh.jpg

^^; A lot better than my first attempt, though I still feel it's a bit lacking...
Seraphiel
Demon

Postby Toz » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:05 am

As far as drawing cartoons and anime style people I go by something my favorite teacher in college told me. 'To cartoon something is to manipulate the truth of their form, in order to manipulate the truth you must fully understand the truth first."

Look at 'how to's for drawing real people. And pay attention to proportions and such. Once you have basics memorized such as....wear the upper ear attatches to the head is even with the corner of the eyes, if you draw a line from the center of the eyes they will touch the corners of the mouth, there is approxomately 'one eye' distance between your eyes, the span of your shoulders is around twice the height of your skull.....okay I'll stop XD

But those small basics allow for more freedom to create unique characters. Rather then memorizing exactly how to draw a head and a face you can make changes to individual elements and follow those loose guidelines. Then as you draw all your characters will have their own look and personality. (Shaping and sizing of one or two things like the eyes, mouth, or nose of a character in comparison to another can change a facial structure completely but it doesn't alter the method, so you'll be able to draw different characters more easily and only by remembering those small features about them you can draw them more than once consistantly.)

As for inking digitally though...freehanding I suck at it. But this trick I found works nicely :) I'll start with a sketch either scanned in or drawn in photoshop and move on to what I learned here.

http://www.farlowstudios.com/tutorials/ ... s4-update/ :D
Toz
Nether Spawn

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Return to Art hall