Share your original artwork, music, and stories here.

Ryouji's Artwork. A sample.

Re: Ryouji's Artwork. A sample.

Postby Master Oki Akai » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:20 am

Ryouji wrote:I'm not intending for him to be in the roleplay section. I'm creating him for the sake of doing so. I'm not sure what I'll do with him.

Not what I meant. I meant, if you're looking for a template to organise your character info, the one used here is detailed in the roleplay section.
I used it for mine. Using a template like these just makes life a lot easier, regardless of wether you plan on gaming or not.
Master Oki Akai
Demon

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:30 am

Hi guys! Sorry I disappeared on both of you just as things were getting good, but I had to rush off to work, *doh*

But I'm back now if you wish to continue these awesome discussions. :D

Ryouji= First off, seriously awesome picture of your guy man, I can tell he's gonna be REALLY badass once he's done. Cool name too, does it mean anything special in the drow language? Or did ya make it up off the top of your head?

P.S. I LOVE HOTWINGS!! YOU JUST WON 100 COOL POINTS IN MY BOOK! *lol* XD

MOA= I get what you're saying man, I was just listing all the different possibilities for the affinities we were discussing (including the powers one could obtain if they were the masters of their craft like each Illharess in the comic appears to be). However, i agree our guys need to work their way up, especially since they are just starting out as clan leaders. I'm glad you liked the idea of hiding foci or sealing gems inside the body via blood/bone sorcery (and the idea of making wounds that will not heal via blood magic on the enemy is SWEET). However, I believe that blood and bone sorceries, while powerful, cannot reach their full potential unless combined via high arts.

For example, blood sorcery can be used to heal wounds or use the blood of fallen foes as an enemy, BUT, if no blood of the enemy is to be found and you don't have the time to heal, the only other option is to use your own blood as a weapon (like Chrystel's blood arrows...voice commanded apparently, lol). This of course is a double edged sword, you hurt the enemy but hurt yourself too. Bone sorcery would be the same, unless you can heal the wounds made by the bone spikes you make protrude from your flesh you can inflict ALOT of damage on yourself (hence using bones not originating from your body would be best for combat). However, if blood and bone sorcery is combined then you can use your own blood and bones for a number of purposes without ripping yourself apart (you still must be skillful enough to control it, but if my theory is correct these are two elements which work best together rather than separate).

I'll read your character bio and get back to ya soon man, just wanted to make a post to let you guys know I was back. ;)

P.S. do drow need to speak their special attacks aloud to focus or was that moment with Chrystel's blood arrows something Kern has been meaning to remove from the comic?
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Ryouji » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:35 am

My girlfriend is summoning me to bed. I will catch up with you guys tomorrow. Feel free to continue discussing in my thread!

As for his name.. it means "Silent Devil" Venorik = Silent, Nota'man = Devil

I figured I would use that to determine his personality. Anyway, she's getting impatient! Gotta go!
Ryouji
Nether Spawn

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:42 am

Have a good night Ryouji, you lucky dog! ;)

And I ENVY that name your came up with for your character, Silent Devil in drow, AWESOME }:3

And I read your profile MOA and I gotta say you have one seriously cool character, especially liked how his mental state and blood sorcery prevents him from realizing the dangers of the Vloz'ress Fortress and what he's gotten himself into. VERY cool.

But what would you reccommend for my guy? Since he's gonna be an Illharn I figure his abilities need to be more than just healing from his own injuries (though that alone would help him stay alive, especially given how being the first male clan leader would make him a target for sexist females and traditionalists).

Initially I was gonna go with shadow/light, but I wanted to try something more original since both powers have been shown in detail in the comic. So I figured a lesser known affinity like Blood, Bones, or metal would do the trick (pressure's cool too but its not a very discreet ability, not like blood, bone, or metal manipulation would be). Also...I thought maybe he could be a summoner too, either taught by a subordinate he gives shelter to OR by teaching himself how to summon based off the books and notes of his mother (which he would have saved from being destroyed when his birth clan fell).
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Master Oki Akai » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:14 am

Durlyn I think you're still missing the important point here. The only one descrbing a clan leader, is you. And you're trying to make a powerful character with this, not an interesting one. You don't need a character with abnormal abilities (though that would make sense) or to set up a lot of combat redundancy. Keep em simple and to the point.

If you want to make a character who has an affinity for shape shifting, then give them a dual affinity for blood and bone. It makes sense for a character who will become a prominent figure. But what's the drawback, what's the weakness? He's going to have limits and blindspots.
Make him into a character that suffers greatly from his own power (no summoning btw, too much). Build his theme on his constant suffering as he tries to survive. You don't need more than that.
Also, you don't need redundant magic abilities when you have a sword and flunkies to back you up.

I don't know about verbal components, but I do know that split affinities compliment each other, not oppose each other.
Master Oki Akai
Demon

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:39 am

Durlyn I think you're still missing the important point here. The only one descrbing a clan leader, is you. And you're trying to make a powerful character with this, not an interesting one. You don't need a character with abnormal abilities (though that would make sense) or to set up a lot of combat redundancy. Keep em simple and to the point.

If you want to make a character who has an affinity for shape shifting, then give them a dual affinity for blood and bone. It makes sense for a character who will become a prominent figure. But what's the drawback, what's the weakness? He's going to have limits and blindspots.
Make him into a character that suffers greatly from his own power (no summoning btw, too much). Build his theme on his constant suffering as he tries to survive. You don't need more than that.
Also, you don't need redundant magic abilities when you have a sword and flunkies to back you up.

I don't know about verbal components, but I do know that split affinities compliment each other, not oppose each other.

Hhhhmmm...Okay, well, I figured I couldn't make him invincible obviously or he'd never be accepted into drowtales (plus every character, even the Uber Devil Queen Kharla with all her tricks has a weakness, namely her insanity). I kinda like the pain thing you brought up though, perhaps shapeshifting back and forth between forms is either very tiring or very pain for him? He doesn't have high sorcery like Ariel so his power to change form does not come naturally, so if he tries to take on a form thats extremely foreign to his nature state, it causes him a great deal of pain changing into it and back.

Like, he could change form to mimic the appearance of another drow or even an elf without any difficulties, all he needs to do his alter his face, hair, skin color, eyes, height, etc. However, if he tried to take on a form like that of a naga or a drider or was forced into a situation in which he has to shapeshift into a combat form, it takes a toll on him. Lets say he's faced against a heavily armored opponent, twice his height and body weight, and he has no guards with him or weapons, so his only choice is to shapeshift into something big enough and strong enough to kick the enemy's ass quickly and escape (assuming he's in enemy territory and has no time to just kill the attacker). In this situation he'd do something drastic like grow bigger, increase his muscle mass, and cover himself in boney spikes or armor to protect himself and fight back. Now, this transformation, very different from assuming the guise of just another drow, would be very painful, making spikes and armor grow out of himself and forcing himself larger than average drow height, etc.

How's that sound for a weakness? The more extreme the transformation the more pain he's forced to endure and the more tiring (it would be a an attack of last resort, like a beserker mode, very powerful but very costly, especially if he looses alot of blood or doesn't have enough mana to change back before collasping from exhaustion).

I imagine growing claws, healing wounds, shooting blood arrows, turning his teeth into fangs, or even strengthening his bones to withstand an attack would be easy for him, but making a full body transformation that is very different from a normal fae body would be pushing it (and he wouldn't be able to assimilate the DNA of others like Ariel seems to do, assuming thats too much).

How's that sound? Anything to add?

Also...if I can't make him a summoner, what sort of foci gems should he carry inside himself (i still like that hidden gem idea, lol)? Simple mana carrying gems for power boosts? Mana bombs? And if he can't be a summoner, how should I defend him against those who can?
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Master Oki Akai » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:58 am

There ya go. But I'd restrict his power just to shape shifting. No bone blades, no blood arrows, healing self yes, changing species no, changing appearance cosmetically even up to gender yes, becoming super huge and spikey no. And no, no DNA assimilation.

If you want to do some crazy hulk-ish thing, then have a move where he focuses all his powers into one limb, and that limb swells to hulkish size of muscle and explodes with power, punching holes in whatever he's attacking.

Put in foci gems for extra mana storing like you mentioned. mana bombs aren't a bad idea either.

As for your summoner question, my answer would simply be, don't. No special defense against summoning, why? Because all the summoners he's likely to deal with are nether summoners! Have you noticed the WAR going on because of that whole theme? XD
No, he gets no special ability for himself. No special defense on his own. If he has anything, let that be the job of another character.
Master Oki Akai
Demon

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:15 am

There ya go. But I'd restrict his power just to shape shifting. No bone blades, no blood arrows, healing self yes, changing species no, changing appearance cosmetically even up to gender yes, becoming super huge and spikey no. And no, no DNA assimilation.

If you want to do some crazy hulk-ish thing, then have a move where he focuses all his powers into one limb, and that limb swells to hulkish size of muscle and explodes with power, punching holes in whatever he's attacking.

Put in foci gems for extra mana storing like you mentioned. mana bombs aren't a bad idea either.

As for your summoner question, my answer would simply be, don't. No special defense against summoning, why? Because all the summoners he's likely to deal with are nether summoners! Have you noticed the WAR going on because of that whole theme?
No, he gets no special ability for himself. No special defense on his own. If he has anything, let that be the job of another character.

Okay, I can live with those kinds of limitations, it still enables him to blend in with a crowd or even infiltrate or do business with a clan or guild without giving his identity away (and makes it more difficult for would be assassins to take him out). I also like the idea of him being able to focus his power into parts of his body, like the one hulk arm thing. I can so picture a scene in which he uses it to end an argument with a female rival who's questioning why he should be incharge.

"Why should we follow you? A weak little boy who's barely chest level with me..." speaks the defiant female gangleader just as Izzril turns around with blinding speed and siezes her by the throat with an arm so huge and rippling with muscle that it should have been on a giant!

The Gang leader gasped for air as Izzril's giant hand tightened its grip on her throat, pointed nails digging into her flesh, her feet no longer even touching the ground as the boy she'd mocked earlier looked her in the eye and said "Cuz I'm the little boy with the really big fist, that's why" before throwing her like a ragdoll through a stone wall.

From that moment on, no one in what would soon become the Gul'Senger clan ever brought up the issue of Lord Izzril's gender in a negative connotion again, at least not to his face (those who did clearly had no love for life).

Like that? *lol*

Also, could he perhaps increase his speed or leaping abilities by transferring power to his legs perhaps? Or make his teeth or nails grow sharp to intimidate?

I like the idea of him having the mana bombs and foci gems stored inside his body somewhere, they'd certainly come in handy if he needed a quick power boost or had to clear a path through the enemy to escape (or just for plain old sabotage). So in the case of demons and summoners, could he possibly at least know how to seal demons? Or should he possess a subordinate who knows summoning and/or anti-demon tactics?

Also...What would make a good mount for him and his clan? I'm undecided between four choices (1) Scorpion (2) A predatory lizard mount of somesort (3) lions or (4) raptors.
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Master Oki Akai » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:52 am

Good, but that's a calm and sustained reaction. I'm thinking something that only lasts a few seconds, or something that causes him visible pain to maintain. I'm thinking of things like Sachiel from Neon Genesis Evangelion when he blocks a huge missile or tries to rip EVA 01's head off and his muscles inflate like balloons, and Alucard from Hellsing, where his clothes are ripped to shreds from the stress, then in an instant there's an explosion of force and his arm is back to normal. Hang on...

http://animeshots.org/shots/2092.jpg http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_EX8PiePl75g/S ... 33x533.jpg -> http://www.robotoys.com/NGE03.gif

As for the summoning and demons. Give him a subordinate or two that have some idea of how to deal with them.

Mounts though...eh, your options are not exciting enough, leave this for later.
Master Oki Akai
Demon

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:17 am

Okay, that all sounds alright to me, and being able to pull off that big explosive muscle expansion move to either block or attack an enemy quickly works for me (as does have a minion or two who know summoning or how to protect against them, perhaps survivors from his own birth clan or from another fallen clan who have acknowledged him as their leader for whatever reason).

I envision him becoming the leader of his group one day by walking in on an argument between several female leaders and their respective groups (they're all wish to revive their own clans and exact revenge on those responsible for beating them, but neither wishes to submit to the other and live under their banner...so bloodshed is about to ensue).

My Illharn would manage to stop all this by calmly interceding and stating that since everyone here come from their own clans and have their skills and beliefs, its impossible to expect them to submit to one banner or the other without a fight, and that the likelyhood of there being enough people leftover to create a clan after the battle is all said and done is pretty low. Basically, he becomes the leader by staying calm, reasonable, and keeping his cool as these other would be Illhars are doing what drow females seem to do best, get pissed off and butt heads over who's right or who's stronger. The subordinates gathered there choose to side with the strange, but bold and senseful male leader because they're all sick of fighting one another when the real enemy are those who crushed their homes and families (plus they don't want to fight eachother if it means in the end no one would be left behind to start over). The Illharn also points out that since a fallen clan by definition is a clan who's main female line has died off, none of these would-be leaders have even that excuse to back up their claims of being worthy to rule, and the bulk of the remnants are made up of men and female soldiers, vassals, and servants (in other words, an intelligent unbiased leader who doesn't care about such things is required, namely himself). At this point one or more of his rivals for power would attack him and he'd demonstrate his true power by using that hulk attack you mentioned or simply making the attacker look dumb by outmaneuvering them and knocking them flat on their ass (thus he proves his strength as well).

concerning his powers, Could he be able to stretch his limbs out maybe to strike at someone or snatch something away quickly? Maybe even reattach a severed limb if he's quick enough with his healing powers? Or are either of these too much?

And I guess I can wait on the mounts then (i thought they were neat choices, lol ^^; )

Last thing, did you like the ideas i had for subordinates in the concept I sent you? Or should I mix it up a bit? i.e. ditch the Ex-Duter & Ex-Vloz & perhaps even the Ex-Kal'yantra ideas and make up characters from fallen clans of my own creation who choose to follow the Illharn? I was also considering the possibility of him seeking allies amongst the less fortunate fae races of Chel, namely the Nei'kalsaider (who often send merchants like Thera into Chel to make money for the hive but often without much success due to prejudice) or the Nagas (someone like Lady Tiskka from Commoner would be very helpful to the Illharn, plus nagas would make pretty badass boyguards). I guess i need to figure out what sort of people would be most useful/helpful to someone trying to create a clan out of the remnants of many fallen clans to form the kind of organization we were discussing before.

Badass pics by the way, Eva & Hellsing rule! *wee*
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Master Oki Akai » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:29 am

All this is stuff I ought to deal with and answer in your concept all at once, but this is certainly a trend I've noticed with you, you're very excitable.

As fo rhis limbs stretch, yes. Reattach, maybe, but only once, and it has to be epic and only with a lot of pain and time.
Master Oki Akai
Demon

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:35 am

Okay, thanks for your advice man, once I get started i just keep going, sorry about that, ^^;

I like the idea of him stretch an arm out to snatch away a dropped weapon from someone trying to reclaim it and what you said about the reattaching limb thing, that sounds cool too (maybe he sacrifices an arm or hand to take out an enemy and has to use all his power and concentration to reattach it before it dies and he ends up crippled...being a shapeshifter means having anything identifiable or easily associated with you, like a golem limb, would make blending in or hiding out difficult, cuz everyone would be on the look out for a guy with that specific trait)

I guess I'll hit the sack now, thanks again man, you certainly helped me solidify my Story and character a great deal from all of this, and I look forward to the answers to the rest of my many questions once you're done looking over and responding to my concept story. Have a good night (er...morning, XD ).

P.S. since Ryouji was such a good sport for letting us chat here in his thread, I think its only fair we help him work on his character when he's online next (or at least I'll try to since you'll likely be busy with other things, ^^; ). That being said, Ryouji, would you please tell us more about your character and his abilities, past, personality, etc, etc? If there's anything I can do to help just let me know, *wee*
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Ryouji » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:26 pm

I'll start working on it. I'm looking stuff up in the Drowtales Wiki. I'll probably start with a personality.
Ryouji
Nether Spawn

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:09 am

Well, since this guy is supposed to be working with/for Kharla as a nether summoner, I suspect his personality must be either VERY cunning and sneaky so as to garner the childlike Kharla's favor and stay alive (as well as keep his female rivals at bay) OR he must be so batshit crazy that Kharla sees him as a kindred spirit (the only one who talks her language and understands her madness). The best personality might be one that is a combination of the two, but since you're his creator you'd likely know whats best (i've always figured however that a male nether summoner would have to be either VERY powerful & skilled so as to prove his place at the top or has winned Kharla's favor...and thus no one dares to touch him because to do so would anger the boss lady).

One good way to garner her favor would be to provide her with rare or hard to catch victims to be added to her doll collection (not just random people, REAL good catches like high ranking wardens or templars from the Kyorls). I could even see him making dolls and toys for her that dance or play music to ease her childish mind and make her laugh.
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Ryouji » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:46 am

I think his personality would be a combination of the two. See.. as his creator, I speak Kharla's language.. and thus he, too, speaks it. He, too would be just as insane, however he has enough knowledge and cunning to make for a good nether summoner. I'm imagining him to be almost a reaper. In other words. A person may survive seeing Kharla. However, if you happen to lay eyes on this man, it more often than not means you are the unfortunate victim of a terrible death. Or, in some cases, a present for Kharla.
I'm more or less imagining him as the Vloz'ress secret. In other words, few people, including Sene'kha and Kharla know of his existence. This would be, in part, due to the fact that summoning is considered to be an entirely female-only privileged art. If word were to get around of a male summoner, terrible things would happen including but not limited to.. the Sharen falling like a hammer on the Vloz'ress to have him removed from existence, Kyorls sending their armies.. Sargh'ress being like "WFT ever, we don't care.. SHAREN SUCKS", Jaal'dharya being like "Oh.. that's neat.. GOLEMZ".. so on. He could be a rumored shadow, the Kharla'ggen's "Reaper" It would be perfect.
Ryouji
Nether Spawn

PreviousNext

Return to Art hall