Have Drowtales inspired stories and art? Share it here!

Beyond the Nethergate - Chapter 9 - DT/DS Crossover

Beyond the Nethergate - Chapter 9 - DT/DS Crossover

Postby SFI » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:01 pm

It was meant to bring peace. It was meant to secure a safe cease-fire between the Sharen and Sarghress after the bloody attack on Machike two years prior. An informal gathering of the Val-clans and their allies.
Later, no one was able to tell exactly how it had deteriorated to this point.
Well, it was not truly a ‘deterioration’ so much as a ‘sabotage’. The red light of the Gate, opened in secret, glowed in the gloom of the building they were in. Some had fled, though no demons had yet come through it.
Others had stayed behind, for whatever reason they could also not name.
They were mesmerized.
There were shadows in the red. What had been bottomless, featureless red now had shadows... A darkness was clawing at the edges of the round Gate. A last, desperate attempt to undo what had been done.
It had been meant as a tool of assassination. A gate devours the aura of any that pass through it, absorbing any and all mana to come into its’ radius.
No one knew why the ancient Beldrobbaen had done what she had, pulling away Quain’tana at the cost of herself. Her screams had been of agony and her element had reacted. There were marks on the walls, deep gouges where there had been none before. It had availed her nothing. As a last, subconscious resort, she had fallen apart into shadow, eyes glowing white with her evaporating mana as her body itself disappeared into nothing. It was devoured by the gate before their very eyes.
By the time the gate had finally been closed by inrushing sealers, nothing of the Second Generation was left.
It was then that they would know why the noble Val had moved to save the commoner Mercenary at the same time that they found how much a man could break. Uncaring about anything related even vaguely to appearances and allegiances, Quain’tana’s only son nearly went mad right there in the room when learning what had happened to Waes’soloth... to his beloved.

Last edited by SFI on Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 10 times in total.
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Beyond the Nethergate - Prologue - DT/DS Crossover

Postby Gunbird » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:52 pm

B doing a X-over? What is this!!? *eek*
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby aceofAces » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:58 am

Gunbird wrote:B doing a X-over? What is this!!? *eek*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq_60dro4Jo
aceofAces
Demon

Postby SFI » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:52 pm

SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:40 am

This is an interesting story concept, please continue!
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Re: Beyond the Nethergate - Chapter 1 - DT/DS Crossover

Postby SFI » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:56 pm

”I do not know what she is. She looks like a race that died out a millennium ago, but...”
“But what?”
“She’s the wrong colouration... They had skin like me and War, or perhaps a bit like Fury, not... this dark-skinned.”
“So what you’re saying is... she’s a ‘new species’?”
“She’s at least not one of the ones that have mastered the art of travelling between worlds. You know that there a quite a few of those as well, don’t you?”
“I also figured the vaunted Argent Spire has records on everything.”
“Says the one who had to teach me about Grand Abominations. Besides, it might well have something about her people. I am not a walking Argent Spire, you know. I can send a messenger to my parents?”
“It’s not that urgent. She’ll have to recover from her ordeal for a while anyway.”

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Considering over two decades had past since they had lost their former Ill’haress to a demon-gate, the Beldrobbaen did not immediately fly into a frankly embarrassing panic when one opened right in their home. Though considering it was still in their fortress, they panicked somewhat.
Despite their fears, no demons came through and it faded soon after being formed. On the ground it left a form that seemed almost like a drowolath, if not for her outlandish and – by Beldrobbaen-standards – almost outrageous fashion. Confusingly, despite both the fabric and cut being foreign, it was certainly in their style with dark-subdued colours and only few things that stood out.
Several of those closest to the form jumped back when she moved, curling around herself with a small groan. “I had more comfortable experiences...”
Hands the colour of ash moved, putting pressure on the black stone in front of her to assist her in sitting up. “I suggest fetching your Ill’haress, Beldrobbaen.”
That had already been covered as several of those that had been in the room had fled when the gate first opened.
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby razer666L » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:48 pm

I'm confused here. What does "DS" mean? :V
razer666L
Nether Seed

Postby SFI » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:56 pm

razer666L wrote:I'm confused here. What does "DS" mean? :V

Darksiders, my other love besides Drowtales :>
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby SFI » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:32 pm

Sponsored by Tsukiko

“You cannot be serious.” Hile’wen followed the half-panicked the female. “Demon-gates don’t spew out living matter.”
“Well, this one did.” The white-haired girl countered, shivering lightly at the memory.
They arrived in the room shortly afterward, where the arrival had not moved. There were now several guards poised to kill her. Probably the only thing that was stopping them from doing it was the fact that they did not know what it would do.
When the Ill’haress looked at her, she could certainly see why they thought she had come from beyond the gate. The aura was not demonic, though it was certainly strange. It almost seemed as if it was badly damaged.
“You’re the Ill’haress now?” The form peeked through black hair, not acknowledging the spears and swords threatening to end her. “A wise choice.”
“Who are you to judge that?” Hile’wen demanded, barely not breaching the armed circle around the female. “And where do you come from?”
“From beyond the gate, as no doubt you were told.” The other sat up, pushing aside her hair to evenly face the Beldrobbaen. As she did so, they could briefly see mutilated ears, cut off to leave little more than a child would have. Silver eyes regarded the circle of guards around her, before settling on the black-armoured female.
Said female felt something akin to recognition when regarding the face. It had fared little better than the woman’s ears, scars covering a large part in something resembling foreign script. And yet... Hile’wen could bet a golem that she had seen it before.
“Can I stand up, or will that get me killed?” The arrival wondered with amusement colouring her voice. “It wouldn’t work, mind, but I’d rather not start this off with a battle.”
They did not deign her with an answer, instead the grey-haired female repeated her question. “Who are you?”
“My face really that bad?” Despite the no-answer, the arrival rose to her feet, sparing the guard little notice while stretching lightly. “They offered to heal it, but alas, the wounds were beyond their skill. Still, Hile’wen, are you sure you don’t recognize me?”
“I don’t know how you know my name, but I’d sure know if I had seen your like, demon.” Truly, whatever abomination this was, she’d not give into its’ taunts.
“That was uncalled for.” Her conversation-partner dryly answered. “I am neither a being of nether, nor have I even the lightest taint. As you should be well aware off.” The mouth-corner quirked up. “But then again, it has been a while, hasn’t it?” She moved closer, a move greeted with several spears nearly stabbing her chest. The female hardly noticed it, almost absentmindedly continuing on as shadows shattered the weapons that came too close. “That wouldn’t have worked back in the day, nor will it now, I have to say.”
A suspicion was rising, but the sheer absurdity and impossibility made sure Hile’wen stamped it down hard and quickly. Still... the similarities were striking, even if they were only subtle.
“Not a word?” The room had darkened, the corners being drowned in shadows. In fact, the armoured female had trouble even discerning those on the other side of the room they were in. And it was not even a big one by any means. “I always figured you were not so emotional so as to be unreasonable.”
“Waes’soloth is dead.” The other one countered sharply. “She died twenty years ago when a gate devoured her whole.”
“One rule it is wise to always consider, if I may: do not declare a person dead until you have seen the corpse.” The arrival chuckled softly. “Mind, it was not comfortable by any means, but I saved my life when I tried to shadow-walk out of there.”
You died.” The smaller drow snarled, her suppressed emotions getting the better of her. Even if it was not actually Waes’soloth, it was close enough to rant angrily against. “We mourned you and now you think you can just waltz in here and reveal that you are alive.”
“Do not for a moment think I did this lightly.” Waes’soloth countered, room darkening a few more shades. “For a time I did consider just ‘staying dead’ and leaving it at that, but revenge is a very good argument for telling Death to take a break and returning here. Rest in Peace and all that.”
“Then why not earlier? Why only now?” Hile’wen demanded, pure self-control at least keeping her from trembling.
“I’m very sorry, but whoever opened that gate did not send a map along.” The black-haired female answered dryly. “It took me some time to actually find where I ended up and from where I had started, as well now that I think about it... and there were some other things, alongside of which that it is not easy to learn opening a gate that allows corporeal travelling. That took me a good couple years as well.” The room lightened slowly, black tentacles coiling around the towering form. “Do not for a moment assume this was any easier on me than it was on you, Hile’wen. I left plenty behind that I loved dearly and would not have willingly abandoned for anything in the world. As you should be aware off.”
The other deflated lightly at that. “You said that before.”
“It bears repeating.” A neatly manicured hand traced some scars running down almost to her bosom. “You knew me the best of this clan. If you do not recognize me, no one will.”
“Kel’noz Val’Sarghress might.” It had been the clan’s best-kept secret that their Ill’haress had taken a Sarghress into her bed, even conceiving several children with him – though no one save those two had ever known for certain which of the children Waes’soloth had borne had truly been of Quain’tana’s son.
“He’s not here, I assume.” The reaction to the name had been enough. For now, this was Waes’soloth returned. If she proved not to be, well... things might get ugly.
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Tsukiko » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:11 pm

I want to see the children~~~
Tsukiko
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Re: Beyond the Nethergate - Chapter 3 - DT/DS Crossover

Postby SFI » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:53 pm

The venerable female was sitting on the couch in what had once been her rooms. Her successor was sitting opposite of her, eyes still studying the scarred face “The Sarghress and Sharen blamed each other for what happened. They have been at war since the year after.”
“What about the Beldrobbaen?” Waes’soloth was sitting with her arms crossed, her head lightly tilted.
“Stayed out of it.” Hile’wen stated softly. “I couldn’t in good conscience either betray our ancestral allies or the clan which you died for.”
“And Zarv’swati agreed to that?” The black-haired female wondered, uncrossing her arms to trace the scar on her throat which was half-hidden under her collar, which seemed to have become a habit over the twenty years since she was gone.
“She was soon all too busy dealing with the Sarghress.” Her opposite found her eyes invariably drawn to it. “Of course she sent delegates with threats and lucrative offers, but the Sharen are spread too thin as is, even with their Black Sun-allies. They could hardly start fighting us over our refusal.”
“Should they win, they will turn to you.”
“The chance of that is slim, let me assure you.” Hile’wen smirked lightly. “They have been losing popular support for quite a while. It is pride that keeps them going. Now that I indulged some of your curiosity... may i ask... what happened?” One black-armoured hand gestured to the scars.
“I... I was lonely.” Waes’soloth whispered. “I thought I would never be able to return. So I took myself a lover... Who had more enemies than Quain’tana...” She made a face, sighing while pushing her hair aside to reveal more of the scars on her face. “They figured I was his weak spot... And I was, to my great shame. I always figured myself certainly not ‘invincible’ but most assuredly more than capable of being able to protect myself.” The older female snorted in disdain. “Sharess, they wield arts I would never have even dreamed off.”
They were interrupted by someone throwing open the door. “Hile’wen!” It was Khal’s voice that echoed in the room. “Someone told me...”
His voice fell silent when he entered the sitting-room and could see the couch. He paled at noticing the scarred female sitting there.
“Khal...” She rose to her feet, eyes drinking in the sight of her youngest child born in Chel’el’sussoloth. “Oh Sharess... Khal.”
“You... died.” He whispered, tears shooting into his eyes.
“Very nearly.” She choked, a tear rolling down her cheek. “Very nearly, my son. But not just yet.”
“Dad was heartbroken...” He moved closer. “How...?”
“That’s is a long story.” Shadows that rose behind him pushed him towards her. “Not today, my child, not today.”
He seemed to agree, wrapping his arms around her once he was close enough. “Does dad know you’re back?”
“She only got back like two cycles ago.” Hile’wen smiled lightly. “I am not even entirely sure how you found out this quickly. I’ll send him a messenger, I guess.”
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Re: Beyond the Nethergate - Chapter 3 - DT/DS Crossover

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:47 pm

Another great update, please continue!
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Re: Beyond the Nethergate - Chapter 4 - DT/DS Crossover

Postby SFI » Sat May 20, 2017 7:14 pm

Kel’noz was in Chel’el’sussoloth, meeting with his mother and her Dev’esses to speak of warplans regarding the Sharen. They had actually been taking a break when one of the front-door guards had approached him. His youngest child had arrived, wishing to speak to him about an urgent matter. Considering they were having a break anyway, Kel’noz followed the guard into the entrance-hall.
“Khal.” Quain’tana’s son greeted the young Beldrobbaen. “I didn’t know you were going to visit.”
“It’s a bit unplanned.” Waes’soloth’s youngest greeted his sire. After the reveal of Kel’noz and Waes’soloth being mates, it had not taken the people long to figure out some of the children the Sarghress had sired with the old Val. “Can we talk in private somewhere?”
“It’s that urgent?” The older male led his son into a corner. “Whatever brings you here? I thought you and Kyonne were in the middle of a tour?”
“Something happened at home.” Khal looked around the hall. “A gate of some kind opened.”
“A demon-gate?” Gone was the amusement, to be replaced by fear.
“Not... really?” The drummer muttered. “It was a gate, but... well, only something solid came through. No demons.”
“Gates like that don’t exist.” The Sarghress calmed down some with the assurance that there had been no demons running rampant in the fortress of his former lover. “No gate can have matter pass through it.”
“This one did. I was there... well, afterwards. I saw what came through, dad...” Khal bit his lip, suddenly wondering if he had been so smart in insisting that he be the one to inform the Mercenary-son of this development. “It was Mom.”
There was silence after that statement, the purple-clad male weighing his every word. “Your mother is dead, Khal.”
“Not anymore.” It was tantamount to the trust they placed in one another that Kel did not immediately declare the boy insane. “I saw the woman that came through that gate, dad. She’s changed over these two decades, but it was her, I’d swear my life on it.”
A shiver ran down the taller male’s back. “It can’t be her, Khal. She was devoured by a gate.”
“Well, she made that gate her bitch, if I may say it like that.” After hesitating a bit, Khal took the hand of his sire. “Just... just come with me... for like half a cycle. Confirm it for yourself. If anyone can, it’s you.”
“I have duties here.” The other pointed out, looking between the door into the throne-room and the door leading outside. “It’s cycles we’d need to travel...” It was one shudder that happened afterwards. “I’ll need to convince Quain’tana to let me go.”
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
“Lead the way.” Kel’noz got off his wolf, having convinced his mother to let him go with claims of things happening among the Beldrobbaen that could affect everything. He had been unable to voice the claim of his son to the older Sarghress, but she probably had been able to tell his turmoil.
“Of course. They’re in her old room.” Khal waited only briefly until one of the guards had taken the wolf to the Clan’s stables, before heading up into the central parts of the fortress.
Kel’noz noted that the Beldrobbaen were watching him with trepidation and curiosity as they headed through the fortress. They were greeted at the door by Ischa. “Hile’wen had to have a meeting with the Dev’esses.” She informed them, bowing lightly when seeing the Headmaster. “She is inside.”
Said Headmaster headed inside, leaving the two Beldrobbaen outside.
“I see you are as hotheaded and eager as always.” He was greeted with a voice he knew well, even if it was a touch hoarser than it used to be.
He said nothing, crossing the room to stand beside the form at the window. His purple eyes narrowed as they looked over the female at he was now standing next to. She turned to meet his gaze, silver eyes being almost the only feature of old that still was recognizable in her face. Even her aura was changed... and yet, he knew her.
“Waes’soloth...”
“Who else, my wolf?”
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Re: Beyond the Nethergate - Chapter 4 - DT/DS Crossover

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Sun May 28, 2017 10:44 pm

So Waes was in the world of Dark Souls and has become somekind of undead?
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Re: Beyond the Nethergate - Chapter 5 - DT/DS Crossover

Postby SFI » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:41 pm

“Are you trying to crush my hand, my wolf?” Waes’soloth demanded in amusement.
“Sorry…” He forced himself to let go. “How though? How are you here?”
“By learning a whole new way of performing arts.” She raised one hand, flicking it lightly. Despite there being no movements of her aura, there was now a black bird sitting on her finger. He recognized it as a bird the Halme called ‘Crow’. “Meet Dust, the pet of my mate over there.” The bird cawed at her in something that was probably annoyance. “Hey, it’s not like I can call you ‘duster’.”
“Ah.” He said nothing about the declaration that she had searched for a mate. He could only imagine how lonely she must have been… not to mention he had slept with some people after her loss as well. “Fascinating.” He carefully reached out, briefly brushing his fingers over the animal, to its’ displeasure. It was real, something he thankfully did not find out by having it bite him.
“Indeed.” Hile’wen was leaning forward lightly as well. “Amazing. I never even imagined that there was life beyond the gates, let alone arts.”
Waes’soloth nodded lightly, pulling the bird closer to herself and setting it in her lap. The crow preened as she scratched his head.
“You flinched at that.” Kel’noz stated softly. “Why is that flinch-worthy?”
“I still can’t hide anything from you, can I?” The older Beldrobbaen snorted softly. “What do you think, my wolf?”
Kel’noz was silent for a while. “You didn’t come here just to come back, did you? Perhaps had it taken you one or two years, but not two decades…” He realized he was right the moment he had said the words. Her reaction told him all he needed to know.
“Yes.” She looked down upon the animal in her lap. “As wise as ever, Son of Quain’tana. I was send here… as something of a Herald, if one could call it that.”
“Why would they want to send you as a Herald?” Khal demanded, feeling something akin to trepidation run down his back. “What would they want with us if they can perform such things like making a living being appear out of nowhere?” He gestured to the bird looking up at his mother.
“Prevent a war…” The recently returned female rose from her seat, setting the bird on her shoulder to walk back to the windows. “I was send here to pave the way for their ambassador.”
“We don’t even know of them!” Kel’noz shot up from his seat, marching over to her. “Why would they want WAR upon us!? The only contact we had was sending you! We…” He blinked, deflating a bit. “The Nether-arts?”
“The Nether-arts.” Waes’soloth sighed in defeat.
“Why would the Nether-arts be enough to declare war upon Chel though?” Hile’wen had also risen. “It’s not like they suffer from that… do they?”
“They do though.” Scars rippled when she moved. “Tell me, what are demons?”
“Beings of Nether.” Her son answered, still sitting on his spot.
“Auras, almost. Souls made of nether instead of ether as ours are.” She clarified softly. “Yes?” At their nod, she continued, voice sad now. “Tell me, can a soul – nether or ether – survive without a body?”
They were silent, until Kel’noz spoke up. “Are you saying… are you saying that every demon that comes here was a living being over there!?”
“That is exactly what I am saying.” She sat down on the window-sill, the bird squaking softly at the move. “They had been suffering loses ever since drow started using those arts… And when I arrived, they finally learned how and why dozens… hundreds of people would just fall over dead without any clear cause.”
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Next

Return to Fanfics and Fanart