Have Drowtales inspired stories and art? Share it here!

Age of Stars - HaloXDrowtales [Chapter 3]

Age of Stars - HaloXDrowtales [Chapter 3]

Postby aceofAces » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:13 pm

Well here we are again, It's always such a pleasure.

Yeah I'm going for round three on this thing, I really want to make this work and not have it suck on toast the whole way through. I'm sorta copying Obsidian Agent with the whole colony thing I'll admit but just bear with me here. I know a few of you are probably thinking "Okay I'm kinda done with this guy continually restarting all his stuff every so often" and that's fine, but I want to actually have the story work in the end.

June 6th, 2562
UNSC One Small Step
Slipspace Transit

It was a rather boring sight through the view screens aboard the UNSC Colony Vessel One Small Step, the vast, inky, and empty blackness of Slipspace had been the ship’s only companion for a good two weeks now as they surged ahead to their destination, the massive human vessel loaded with colonists and cargo. Under normal circumstances a colony run like this would be relaxed, happy, some might say even exciting. The promise that you’d be furthering the march of humanity into the stars even after the disastrous war that had ravaged UEG space not a decade before.

This colony run was anything but normal.

Captain Jonathan Drescher only had to look to either side of him to realize that, and you didn’t need a doctorate degree in Slipspace Physics to understand why. To his left stood Jürgen Volger, independent civilian contractor and future First Governor of the new colony that would represent the planet in the UEG Parliament. He was a tall and slender man, but his features were almost habitually frozen in this look of detached logic, his German-accented voice carried throughout the room when he spoke in a way that only added to his intimidation factor.

Next to him stood his Military attaché to the project, Staff Sergeant Riaz Anjad, partially hidden behind his civilian counterpart. In a strange twist to stereotype, Jon had found Anjad significantly more approachable compared to Volger, the shorter man of Arabic decent was much more open to small talk and conversation, and had been willing to speak with the Captain about the matters of colonial responsibilities in the project.

Speaking of colonial responsibilities, to his right stood the two reasons why the project was causing so much tension on his ship. And they rhymed with “man barely”.

The first was Ussa’nollom, a quiet and reserved representative of his race, the Sangheili, chosen by the Arbiter himself to act as liaison and joint overseer to the project. Jon had found himself avoiding Ussa as much as possible, what with the genocidal war his race had waged against humanity not ten years prior still an open wound in the hearts of many. Despite that, the rare talks he’d had with Ussa had proven that he was a more…"open minded” Sangheili, shall we say, and to Jon it seemed like the hinge-head genuinely wanted this endeavor to succeed.

The other, much larger Sangheili on the other hand was someone that Jon would actively avoid, alien or no. Gada’vor was one hinge-head that you didn’t ever want to look at funny, possessing a temper that would make even the Incredible Hulk do a double take. He was a warrior to the core, decked out in full combat armor despite the fact that there was no need, and that his compatriot had elected to don the traditional robes of the Sangheili that shared more than a few similarities with Asian designs. Gada wasn’t just bravado, as the scar, missing upper mandible and glazed over eye on the right side of his face more than proved. He’d heard that Sergeant Anjad would be working with him, the poor man had drawn the short straw on that one.

They were also a reminder of the reality of the situation, that this colony would not be owned entirely by the UEG, instead it would be split between the UEG and the Swords of Sangheilios. “A Joint Colony Project to foster friendship and cooperation between the UEG and Sangheilios, and to mend the wounds present on both sides” President Gerald Butler had said in his announcement speech. Time would tell if this was gonna work.

Jon figured it wouldn't. You don't forget three decades of genocidal war in just a few years.

“We’ll be dropping out of Slipspace shortly Captain.” His Navigations Officer Kelly Inders stated, puncturing the silence of the bridge that had lingered for a good ten minutes. “Course is locked for low orbit around the habitable moon of the fourth planet.

S’gonna be a bitch to work a farming colony on a lunar colony." His thoughts reminded him. It baffled him why both parties had settled on this location in particular, almost like they wanted the damn thing to fail as it was designed to be an agricultural settlement, and doing so on a moon that wouldn’t have stable seasons would be hell to work with. Apparently however this moon was an oddity as its orbit swung it more towards the poles of its gas giant planet and thus made it's climate more stable. How the hell that was supposed to work Jon had no idea.

“Alright then, Cronos, send out the word to the crew, have them prep for re-entry to normal space.” He said turning to the holo-tank off to his left on the console before him. The tank lit up, producing the avatar of the One Small Step’s shipboard AI. Cronos had taken the form of a middle-aged man in a high class business suit, immaculately pressed and tailored, carrying an air of nobility about him as the little man glowed a bright purple next to the captains chair.

“Message sent Captain, the crew and colonists are prepping for system entry.” The AI reported, standing straighter in what many would assume would be pride. Really Cronos, Jon figured, had a superiority complex and liked to show off to his flesh and blood crew-mates despite appearances to the contrary. Nobody seemed to get the message when he did though seeing as he tended to prove it through rather mundane tasks. Not that there were many other ways for him to show off.

“Maybe we can finally begin the real work.” Ussa’nollom commented, letting out a huff of either amusement or impatience. Jon couldn’t tell the difference with these hinge-heads. Humans he could read, xenos not so much.

“Agreed.” Jürgen stated flatly. “This colony is already behind schedule.” He flashed a look to Jon, as if blaming him for the chaos of their departure.

“Hey, don’t look at me!” The Captain protested in his defense. “Wasn’t my fault that those freighters blocked our path.”

“You could have simply destroyed the freighters.” Gada’vor suggested gruffly. Always so quick to bring out the stick…

“First of all, this ship is unarmed.” Sergeant Anjad countered, asserting himself to his much larger and angrier Sangheili colleague. “And secondly, those ships had civilians aboard.” Gada simply gave a huff, this one John was able to pin as annoyance, before turning his attention back to the view screen.

“Dropping out of Slipspace in five.” Navigator Inders reported. “Exit in three, two, one...” A large blue field opened up in front of the ship, breaking up the deep void of slipspace, enveloping the vessel and washing over it as the ship lurched slightly under the rapid deceleration. Stars appeared around them amid the blackness of normal space and in front and below to the left was their target planet, or moon rather. Framed against the swirling purple clouds of its host gas giant.

“113 Ursae-D-3 in sight Captain.” Cronos reported, stating the obvious. “Colony crews report that they are ready to begin deployment of preliminary construction crews and terraforming gear. We are ready to proceed.”

“Let’s not keep the ladies and gents aboard waiting any longer Cronos.” Jon replied smugly, smirking at the sight of the sandy brown and blue moon ahead of the ship. “Give ‘em the go-ahead.”

The AI nodded. “Gladly sir.” His avatar winked out of existence leaving John alone with the four reps for the colony team.

“Well Ussa? Shall we oversee deployment?” Jürgen asked his Sangheili counterpart, finally breaking his stern façade to give the hinge-head a grin.

Ussa nodded in agreement. “With pleasure.” The two walked off side by side towards the hangar bay. Following that, the awkward silence returned to the bridge as both Sergeant Anjad and Gada’vor stood on either side of the Captain’s chair, neither moving nor saying anything.

“Don’t suppose you gentlemen have anywhere else to be?” Jon asked, trying to break the silence and to get the two military types off his bridge.

“Afraid not.”
“No.”

The two replied almost in unison forcing Jon to sigh in frustration. “No of course you wouldn’t.” He said before muttering to himself. “That would make my life way too easy…”

6th Moon, 1077 Moonless Age
Nal’sarkoth Fortress, Chel’el’sussoloth

Nume Nal’sarkoth worked frantically, rushing between the various carts of the Trade Caravan, her pen hurriedly scribbling down inventory in her log book as she double-checked the haul for this trade mission to Haltonreibe. With the growing situation with the Nidraa’chal in Chel, this was probably going to be the last run at the city before the Nal’sarkoth were to bunker down before war hit the city once again.

This also made it one of the last chances for the clan to make a profit of any kind until it all blew over and for that reason it was proving to be much larger than your standard caravan, leaving Nume with a heavier load than usual. She was feeling it too, now breathing heavily after running around so much to make sure that they had everything.

“<Nume! You almost done?!>” The voice of the caravan’s overseer barked at her from the front of the pack of Halderi-drawn carts, an older heavyset woman named Hal’nayra.

“<Almost! Just one more to check!>” Nume called back in response before quickly taking inventory of goods in the last cart. “We’re good to go!” She ran to the cart that she would ride on as the group began to move. Fifteen carts in all, guarded and hemmed in by troops of goblin mercenaries that were under the Nal’sarkoth’s employ.

The route would be long and hard even though it would take only two cycles for the caravan to reach the surface world, it would be a total of nearly two weeks for the group to reach the Halme City State to offload their supplies and trade them for goods to bring home. Along the way they would stock up on food to keep them going for the trip.

It wouldn’t be the first time that Nume would be visiting Haltonreibe, she’d already been there multiple times in her 72 years of life, yet few times had given her this giddy feeling. She felt as though she held the future of her clan in her hands, the mission of exchanging underworld goods for those of the overworld was vital for the continued success of the Nal’sarkoth. Or was it something else? It was a peculiar feeling, like there was a buzzing in the air that washed over the tunnel leading up to the surface, like something had minutely disturbed the mana in the air.

She pushed those thoughts to the back of her mind. She needed to be focused on the task at hand if there was to be any success, she’d have time to wonder about the feeling when she got back if it still made its presence known. Besides, a war was brewing in Chel, and a peculiar feeling was nothing compared to the chaos that would descend upon the city.

Hopefully war wouldn’t claim the city before she returned.

June 6th, 2562
113 Ursae-D-03, Planetary Surface

Terry Mistikos stepped off the landing ramp planet-side, taking a deep breath of the air of the planet. The air here smelled dry, but considering that this was apparently a fairly dry planet he figured he should count his blessings that they’d parked themselves on one of the most likely places for them to start a farming cooperative.

“Alright ladies and gents, let’s get to work!” He barked as the other workers began to unload the equipment they’d need to start laying down the groundwork for the new colony. “We got plenty more folks hanging up in orbit who want to put their feet down on terra firma! So that means we got ourselves a time crunch!”

He quickly fell into a rhythm of directing the unloading of the massive components for the atmosphere conditioners and the large combine-like rovers that would churn up the ground and infuse it with nutrients to assist with the farming cooperative. Following that was the unloading of the materials and equipment to begin construction of the settlements. Not to mention the huge parts for the base of a space elevator.

They’d have three days of hard work ahead of them before the colonists could touch down. Terry wanted to get it done in two.
Last edited by aceofAces on Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
aceofAces
Demon

Re: Age of Stars - HaloXDrowtales [yes I'm doing it again.]

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:56 am

Well this is pretty good, Though I don't think you needed to restart the story again.
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby aceofAces » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:07 am

ThatGuyThisGuy wrote:Well this is pretty good, Though I don't think you needed to restart the story again.

I felt I needed to, I just didn't like the way it was turning out honestly more than anything.
aceofAces
Demon

Postby Gunbird » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:58 pm

I Actually like how the story began.I have a few question for it thought.

Is the Covenant still around? The last Halo game was 4. And I forgot much of the lore of that series. Also are we ring to see the master chief in this story?

I think you made some typos. You said cats instead of carts. And you said gods instead of goods.
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby aceofAces » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:57 am

Fixed the typos, good catch.

As for the questions:
1) Sort of? The Covenant mostly remain as various Remnant factions (hence the term Covenant Remnants) the have cropped up over the years since the war. As of Halo 5 (which sucked on toast but whatever) a lot of the Elite-based Remnant factions are getting their collective shit kicked by the Arbiter and his Swords of Sangheilios. I don't know what happened to the Brutes since they've been summarily ignored lore-wise past the point where their war with the Elites has been put on hod after the remaining Prophets died off/fucked off to who knows where and they descended into their own little civil war.

Getting to the point, the Covenant Remnant's are still a thing in this fic, but they are likely on the losing side of the conflict.

2) Depends on what you mean by "see the Master Chief". If you mean the Chief shows up and starts interacting with the cast, not likely. The UNSC doesn't revolve around him and it's likely that they wouldn't send their greatest hero and soldier to a backwater joint farming colony when they could just as easily send in ODSTs or even other Spartan's if the situation called for it. Honestly by the time something like that comes around the Chief will either be dead or retired from active service due to advanced age. Likely the man will be mentioned, hell I'm thinking of a hilarious exchange involving Chiri.
aceofAces
Demon

Postby Gunbird » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:57 pm

So who going to be the big threat? The Nid?
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby aceofAces » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:04 pm

That I won't say, since it would involve spoiling the plot.
aceofAces
Demon

Postby Gunbird » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:44 pm

Ok then. Can't wait to see the next page.
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby TheJackinati275 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:03 am

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I think i'll have to say it again... I like what I see. I like what you've written so far and I never really got why you stopped the story in your second attempt, because it was not bad at all.

So anyway, here's to hoping you have more content this time around! :P
TheJackinati275
Tainted

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby MercenaryX21 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:29 pm

aceofAces wrote:Fixed the typos, good catch.

As for the questions:
1) Sort of? The Covenant mostly remain as various Remnant factions (hence the term Covenant Remnants) the have cropped up over the years since the war. As of Halo 5 (which sucked on toast but whatever) a lot of the Elite-based Remnant factions are getting their collective shit kicked by the Arbiter and his Swords of Sangheilios. I don't know what happened to the Brutes since they've been summarily ignored lore-wise past the point where their war with the Elites has been put on hod after the remaining Prophets died off/fucked off to who knows where and they descended into their own little civil war.

Getting to the point, the Covenant Remnant's are still a thing in this fic, but they are likely on the losing side of the conflict.

2) Depends on what you mean by "see the Master Chief". If you mean the Chief shows up and starts interacting with the cast, not likely. The UNSC doesn't revolve around him and it's likely that they wouldn't send their greatest hero and soldier to a backwater joint farming colony when they could just as easily send in ODSTs or even other Spartan's if the situation called for it. Honestly by the time something like that comes around the Chief will either be dead or retired from active service due to advanced age. Likely the man will be mentioned, hell I'm thinking of a hilarious exchange involving Chiri.

Well I for one am glad to see this again, and yeah, the last one was better then the first, but the second one did feel a bit fast and "MAYBE" forced in a spot or two. I really hope this one works, can't wait to see how the humans react to humans being here before the colonists arrived. But given the Halo lore and what I saw of what the Forrunners did, both to save them and in the case of the ditact destroy them, I can see what happened. Either they where put there by the Librarian to hide them or where put there after the halos where fired by the the keyship. And that is something I really hope gets explored.

As for the Drow, I really want to see them with a few clan try to make friends, a few I can so see happening, more so one clan and their need to rid the universe of males getting in bed with ONI, literally in some cases; the one with our favorite drow popstar idol; or a few others, while some I can see going to war for the slaves, the tech, and the weapons and how messy the political process is going to get, this will either unite Chel or cause it to brake down into another war.
MercenaryX21
Nether Seed

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby aceofAces » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:15 am

Wow okay so I've been writing the next chapter and it's shaping up to be a long 'un.

So all I can really say is...
aceofAces
Demon

Postby aceofAces » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:54 am

June 7th, 2562
UNSC One Small Step
Low Atmospheric Orbit
Colony Site 01

Staff Sergeant Riaz Anjad stood upon the glass floor of the ship’s lower observation deck as the colonization workers milled about on the ground a few hundred feet below. He had to admit that watching them erect the mass of structures that would house everyone in the colonies made him feel his own tasks of organizing the offload of UNSC Army personnel and equipment was paltry by comparison.

Much of the construction mirrored many other UEG colonial cities. Large widened bases were separated by small walking paths at ground level between them. The base of each building was a collection of terraces, with outdoor spaces for gardens and parks. Connecting the buildings were bridges and platforms of various sizes for pedestrians and light rail lines. This resulted in the city looking more like layer of varying thickness that was being spread out over a section of land if it weren’t for the gaping holes where one day huge towers would rise to the heavens. That said nothing of gap that would one day hold the Space Elevator that would be arriving in a couple weeks.

This was where the Colony Ship was a huge help. On its journey through space, much of what made the new Niemeyer Class Colony Ships so special was that unlike their older sisters they were designed to be reusable rather than be cannibalized for building materials. To that end, while setting up the colony the lower decks would unfurl into a series of gantry cranes that turned the 3.5 km long behemoth into a construction foreman’s dream come true.

At least for the UEG personnel aboard.

For the Sangheili aboard it was a slightly different story. Despite every offer the Captain of the One Small Step made to Ussa’nolom, the Sangheili had refused. They still had their racial pride and offering any kind help to their new friends was considered as a bit of an insult. So the ship had just offloaded the construction materials and let them go about their business as they pleased.

Now the Sangheili buildings were rising out of the earth to the immediate south, featuring the sculpted and rounded lines so typical of Covenant architecture, although appearing slightly more aggressive in design to compliment the character of Sangheili species as a whole. He’d seen pictures of Covenant-Era architecture and to him it had always either resembled upside-down purple colored trees jammed into the dirt or oversized purple mushrooms with rounded tops.

These buildings looked like they took design principles from Mongolian Yurts but only applied them on a larger scale and in conjunction with Mayan Pyramidal structures. In essence most buildings consisted of a series of round sections of varying width and height stacked atop the other, the top of the lower section serving as a type of outdoor terrace of balcony, and with the number and size depending on the overall size of the building.

The only structure that broke that mold was Nolom Keep. A large ovoid ring of terraces rose up around a central courtyard that from all accounts looked like it would soon be filled with green space and ample room for the warriors residing inside to perform combat drills. The terraces linked up with the main building which was designed like a medieval cathedral, a long building that partially extended inside the oval that was framed by five sets of sculpted buttresses. This long area led to a roughly dome-shaped section supported by seven more buttresses which tapered off into small towers that cumulatively would have a commanding view of the Sangheili settlement.

All in all, Nolom Keep was probably going to become the architectural cornerstone of the Colony if Riaz had any right to guess. Being colored a red bronze certainly helped the building’s chances, especially in the morning when the sun would cast the building in a brilliant gold. If anything, Ussa had a keen eye for style.

“Sergeant Anjad,” The sudden appearance of Cronos’ voice on the comm system broke Riaz from his thoughts. “Captain Drescher would like to see you in the Survey Room. He says it’s urgent.”

“I’ll be right there.” He said curtly as he set off towards the nearest elevator, needing to go up twenty-one decks to get to the Survey Room.

That brought up the second role of the Colony Ship in setting up the colony. Detailed planetary survey. After entering the planet’s atmosphere and offloading the literal thousands upon thousands of tons of gear and materials, the ship had begun sending out drones to survey the planet for everything from potential farmland to precious resources to future city development.

Normally things found in these survey missions was passed off to civic personnel. As such Riaz found it worrying that he of all people was being called into the survey room. That meant that whatever it was posed a potential threat to colony. Maybe a Covenant faction had stumbled across this planet and had already claimed it? An Insurrectionist faction was another possibility. Maybe both? Venezia had proven that both could coexist for mutual protection and trade.

Riaz punched his finger at the controls on the elevator, burying those thoughts as the doors closed. There was no point in letting his mind wander to the worst-case scenario without knowing all the facts.

After spending a good five minutes making his way through the corridors of the ship and squeezing his way past various crewmembers he finally stepped into the Survey Room. A good fifty different workstations lined the walls, techs busily working away as they monitored the hundreds of drones filling the skies. In the center was a huge holotable, casting the expansive room in a soft white-blue hue.

Standing across the table from Riaz was Captain Drescher, the older man looking exactly like the stereotypical ship captain with his wrinkled face, bushy grey-white beard and captain’s hat. To the left of the table stood Jürgen, waiting patiently with his hands clasped behind his back. Facing him were the two Sangheili leaders, Ussa’nolom and Gada’vor.

Captain Drescher looked up from the table when Riaz entered, fixing him with a smile that poorly masked the nervousness on the man’s face. “Ah, Sergeant! Glad you could join us!” He motioned to the table in front of him. “If you would…”

“Certainly.” Riaz stated, nodding as he walked over to stand next to Jürgen. “I’m going to assume that this is something urgent?”

The smile faded quickly from the Captain’s face. “Potentially.” He said with a huff, clasping both hands behind his back. “Cronos, bring up the topographic map.” A topographical map of the surrounding terrain rose up from the table, scaled to represent all territory in roughly 100km in all directions from the main settlement of the colony. It showed everything from the mountains to west past the desert to the gigantic sinkhole beyond them, to the coast that the colony now found itself sitting on.

The Captain, to his credit, immediately got down to business. “As part of our survey mission we began using our ship’s sensor suite to generate a topographical map of the surrounding area, as you can see here.” He motioned towards the map. “However when the scans came in, we noticed a few peculiar formations.” Cronos, apparently having caught the Captain’s cue, immediately highlighted well over twenty locations with a red pointer, two of which were apparently inside the sinkhole.

“That’s quite a few…” Ussa commented off-hand, eyes narrowing slightly in…was it concern or curiosity?

“The scans were consistent with what we would considered to be ‘artificial structures’,” The captain went on. “So we diverted our nearby drones to confirm our theory and sure enough those structures did not form naturally. Their buildings all right, recent builds too by the look of it.”

“So we’re dealing with potential alien first contact?” Riaz asked, the surprise evident in his voice. He had to admit that he wasn’t expecting the prospect of first contact with a new species.

The Captain’s response quickly quashed that idea however. “I’d…hesitate to call it ‘first contact’ Sergeant.” All members around the table focused solely on the Captain, each curious as to what the captain said. Even the normally stoic Jürgen’s eyebrows were raised ever so slightly. “Cronos, bring up Survey Photos seven through twelve.”

Immediately five screens popped up on either side of the table, one set for the humans and another for the Sangheili. Riaz’ eyes widened at what stared at him from the first picture. Three beings were talking as they walked down a street, hemmed in on either side by primitive houses with wooden shingles. Their faces were clearly visible despite being partially stuck in a crowd on a busy street.

And those faces were clearly human.

The first picture with the three men held people who, at a glance, looked very prototypically Caucasian if it weren’t for the rugged jawlines and stockier physiques. The next picture showed a very similar scene only this time with two men walking over a small wooden arch bridge, their features being very Asian despite the darker skin-tone and taller stature. The third showed a man with very pale skin, accented by the fiery red hair that grew atop his head and on his beard, having a very pronounced brow and jawline.

The next two pictures showed beings that looked decidedly less human, thank god. The first was a short, broad shouldered man that looked like the unholy union between a human and a Brute, with a large set of canines sprouting from his lower jaw and dull grey-green skin. The last looked like an upright hyena or wild dog, covered in short fur with large vulpine ears and an upturned nose.

The room was silent as all parties stared wide-eyed at the pictures before them. “What kind of sick joke is this Captain?!” Jürgen all but shouted at Drescher, spitting the last word like it was insulting to even refer to the man by his rank after this development.

“I can assure you Mr.Volger that this is no joke.” The Captain responded, his voice level as he addressed the now very cross Governor. “Everything you’re seeing is real. These are real images captured by our drones during their survey. To borrow a phrase from a member of my crew; ‘shit is getting weird’ to say the least.”

“So there are humans present on this planet?” Ussa asked as calmly as he could muster. One couldn’t miss the mixture of shock and curiosity present in his tone.

“What is the meaning of this?!” Gada’vor bellowed, pointing at Volger. “I thought you’re people had not colonized this planet!!” He hollered at the German man across the table, his surprise having quickly shifted to anger at the turn of events.

“We have not!!” Volger shot back, glaring daggers at the battle-scarred Sangheili.

“Evidently you have!” Gada retorted, leaning and pointing at the photos in front of him. “I demand and explanation for this…this…betrayal of my peoples’ trust!!”

Riaz decided now might be a good time to step in before things got out of hand. “Gada’vor I can assure that neither I nor Mr.Volger had any knowledge of humans on this planet. We will contact Earth to confirm this but I am certain that whoever put these people here it was not the UNSC or the UEG.” When Gada huffed and stood back up he turned to Captain Drescher. “How much do we know of these people?”

“Not much admittedly.” Drescher stated with a casual shrug of his shoulders. “What we do know is that they [i[appear[/i] to be at a pre-industrial technological level.” He paused. “That said I would like to reiterate that having only known of their existence for about three hours total we could be dead wrong on that assumption and they could be packing tactical nukes and mass drivers for all we know.”

Gada’vor quickly jumped in on that bit of information. “Then I would like to propose that we place the construction of the colony on hold to offload our military arms and equipment, and to construct our respective barracks.”

Volger looked about ready to reach across the table and slap the Sangheili across his mandibles. “For what reason?!” He blurted out. “We can’t simply halt all construction to deal with a few groups of people wielding sharpened sticks for weapons! That would be a full day’s worth of construction lost for a colony that is already weeks behind schedule!”

“Keep in mind Volger,” Ussa began, acting as the calmer representative for his species. “…that this colony’s itinerary was decided upon without the knowledge that the planet already had an intelligent species living upon it, and at least three of them by my count. Surely your UEG could stand to lose one more day due to security reasons?”

“That may be Ussa, however I can’t help but feel that your colleague is proposing that we build up for war!” Volger replied, his voice become slightly more level as he regained some of his composure. “They may not be under the UEG’s dominion but there are still humans present on this planet regardless. I will not have this colony’s act be a declaration of war! Not when it was founded on the belief of mending old wounds!”

“That is not at all what I am proposing Volger!” Gada snapped, his mandibles clicking in barely contained rage. “I am merely wishing to preserve our security against a potential risk, no matter how small!” He leaned menacingly over the holotable, glaring at Volger. “You speak of mending old wounds human, yet you are more than willing to call me a warmonger because of my race. Perhaps you should reflect on your words before you accuse me of less-than-noble intents!”

Again Riaz would have to step in and act as the mediator. “I agreed with Gada and Ussa in this matter Mr.Volger.” He stated calmly to the civilian leader. “However I also agree that we cannot fully halt the colony’s construction.” He looked between a betrayed and seething Volger, then Ussa and Gada to make sure he had their undivided attention before continuing. “As such we will erect temporary camps ground-side for us to store our equipment and house our troops until more permanent facilities are available.”

“That said, I would like for us to begin organising perimeter patrols to locate any nearby threats and assess their risk to the settlement.” He turned to Captain Drescher. “Furthermore I would like for us to continue to survey the foreign populations. I’d like to get some insight into their temperament, their culture and customs so that we can evaluate how much of an issue they might be in the future. Beyond a slight delay due to the offload of gear and slightly lengthened resource survey term there will be no impact to civic development.” He turned back to his compatriots around the table, eyes flicking particularly between Volger and Gada. “Is that an acceptable plan for you?”

Ussa looked to a much calmer Gada’vor then turned and nodded to Riaz, his mandible pressed together in the Sangheili version of a smile. “Yes I believe that will be an acceptable plan of action.” He then turned to Volger. “Does this work for you Governor?”

Volger sighed. “I suppose it does.”

“Excellent.” Ussa said cheerily, looking to captain Drescher. “Captain I would request that any information you believe would be useful be forwarded to us should it become available during your stay in the system.”

“Certainly sir.” Drescher said with a nod. “But before you go gentlemen, there is one other matter regarding this whole thing that I feel I should bring up.” The two settlement markers inside the sinkhole switched from red to yellow. “These two settlements are ones we haven’t been able to get any reliable visual data on.”

“How come?” Ussa asked, head tilting questioningly.

“Because that damn sinkhole is filled to the brim with mist so damn thick we get maybe five feet of view range if we’re lucky. And I’m not exactly willing to risk my drones in case whoever down there gets pissy when someone starts snooping around his backyard.” Drescher stated. “However if anything does come up I will let you know as soon as I can.”

“Much appreciated Captain.” Riaz said. “Will that be all?”

“Yes that’ll be all gents.” He stated. “I’ll leave you to your duties and I best get back to mine. I think I’ve shirked my duties long enough.”

Riaz nodded before turning to Gada’vor. “I suppose we should work out our patrol plans.”

The Sangheili nodded. “Yes we should, the sooner we get our troops organized the sooner our peoples are secure.” Riaz and Gada fell into step shoulder to shoulder as they exited the room, overhearing a small conversation that Volger and Ussa were currently engaged in.

“I will have to contact the UEG to get confirmation that the planet was not settled prior.”

“Understood Volger, I am hesitant to contact the Sangheilios Council as there were already very few supporters of this endeavor, I will however contact Arbiter Thel’vadam to see if he has any advice on the matter.”

“Will do Ussa, shall we reconvene at a later time?”

“I believe that would be wise.”

As the doors to the Survey Room closed, Riaz couldn’t help but wonder as to why there were humans put on this planet? Who had put them there? And why? Loathe as he was to admit it, it was definitely eating away at his brain somewhat, trying to come up with a possible reason for this surprise.

What else was waiting for them on this planet?
aceofAces
Demon

Re: Age of Stars - HaloXDrowtales [Chapter 2]

Postby MercenaryX21 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:16 am

You don't know how much this makes me happy. Hope ee get to see a spartan or two.
MercenaryX21
Nether Seed

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Gunbird » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:00 am

You said on the ban game that some one is going to have a experiment on them. Who is doing it?
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby aceofAces » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:15 am

Gunbird wrote:You said on the ban game that some one is going to have a experiment on them. Who is doing it?

No one here, separate fic Idea.
aceofAces
Demon

Next

Return to Fanfics and Fanart