Have Drowtales inspired stories and art? Share it here!

World at War, an Earth Age fic (Ch 12)

Re: World at War, an Earth Age fic (Ch 5+Vign 1)

Postby Pariel » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:46 am

Spot on? Maybe? :P
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Clan: Sharen

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:03 am

So do you have any idea when you are actually going to get to updating?
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:47 pm

No seriously do you have any idea when you will be updating again?
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby Pariel » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:46 pm

Not really. It will update when I write. That's all there is.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Re: World at War, an Earth Age fic (Ch 6)

Postby Pariel » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:58 pm

Chapter 6: Contact

Switzerland

The day was already making itself long and it wasn't even noon. Sometimes, things could go bad in the most twisted way possible, and one could only but shoulder on and keep trying to solve the situation. Everything had started with a simple telephone call.

René Nadin's breakfast in Paris had been enjoyable if uneventful. Her stocks and transactions had proceeded smoothly, and the news of the drow army had been positive. Barring the current hotheaded debate of Russia's heavy handed bombing of a drow city, the news on the western front had indicated that the combined might of the French and German armies had succeeded in pushing the invaders back to the mountains of Switzerland. A simple pincer movement on open ground had caught a large section of the van of raiders, who succumbed to relentless crossed gunfire, aircraft and artillery. Swords couldn't beat tanks and helicopters, after all.

The imposing figure of what she assumed was a drow female being displayed as one of the enemy commanders by the media had even caused René to smile at the creature’s apparent lack of taste. Orange braids with red armor? A most unforgivable sin. Well at least "she" had the common decency of dying with out clashing since her blood was as red as any humans. Most of the media attention fell upon the inexplicable bulletproof quality of many of these drow rather than their lack of fashion sense however.

It was as if the drow possessed some form of force field for diverting bullets, mitigating much of the damage caused by small arms. This had accounted for the deep dwellers large survival rate even under crossed fire, but the shielding couldn’t stop all of the bullets, nor any of humanity's more powerful weapons and so they had finally succumbed. What was left of the drow army had by all accounts retreated into the mountains of Switzerland, presumably intent on a guerrilla war, using the nighttime and the rough terrain to their advantage. Such news had been great, since it meant she was relatively safe in Paris.

Unfortunately, someone had screwed up somewhere, and right now one of the most prized business secrets of René's company was still in its usual resting place - a safe in a Swiss Bank. A Swiss bank that oh so inconveniently just so happened to be right in the middle of the contested zone. Höffmann had assured in his call that he had fired the one responsible for such a blunder, but the damage had been done, and Miss Nadin herself had resorted to solving things personally, with the aid of mercenaries from Nova. So here she was inside the safe of the aforementioned bank, stuffing her Prada with technical designs. She mused about how ridiculous she must look, glad the bank had foregone cameras in the vault out of a respect for client privacy. Examining the large, prized gemstone that also occupied the safety deposit box along with her papers she decided it wouldn’t hurt to take the family heirloom as well. Running a well manicured hand through her brunette hair, she sighed and placed it in her purse. She exited the safe room with careful catlike steps, intent on spending not a second more than necessary here.

Everything seemed to be going well until Nadin found two of the Nova guards she had hired laying in a pool of blood. Before she could react, the vision of a massive red fist invaded her eyesight. The hit rocked her hard and the world briefly spun around her as she fell limp against the cold floor.

A single imposing drow figure in bright red armor with red streaks in her white hair, coiffed with an iron circlet stared at the unconscious human woman for a second. Five more drow individuals, all clad in black and with swords and crossbows came to surround her. Most of them were wiping the blood clean of their blades, having slit the throats of the guards swiftly and decisively. "We'll carry her back to our main camp. She looks rather important." the massive red figure instructed to the others, a tinge of bitterness in her voice. "Continue taking hold of these vault-like buildings. These surfacers will surely be reluctant to attack their own riches with their filthy weapons."

"Yes, Quain'tana!" One of her darkly dressed warriors replied, before instructing the others on how best to obey their Ill‘haress. Quain'tana clenched her fist. The humans would pay for their tricks. Who would've thought these animals would be able to break Koil'dorath's charge so easily? The mercenary queen of the drow pondered this gravely as she carried the limp figure of her fancy prisoner towards the back entrance of the bank.
Last edited by Pariel on Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:42 pm

Great update! Just generally nice to see that you are continuing this story and are advancing the plot significantly.
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby Gunbird » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:46 pm

That fighting at night plan will not go well for drow. Night vision , Thermal Imaging and extremely bright flashlights.
Last edited by Gunbird on Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby Metzger » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:04 pm

Kind of reminds me of Salvation war, except that the drow are slightly more prepared than the demons and angels
Metzger
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:35 pm

I had to go somewhere soon while I was writing my earlier reply so I couldn't write as much as I wanted. Why so salty Quain can't accept defeat? Though I am wondering why they got Nadin there is no real way they could know about her and her importance so was them coming across her a coincidence?
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby Pariel » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:59 pm

Yes, although this coincidence will have repercusions.

A disclaimer. This chapter was surprisingly hard to figure out. It was originally named the Wolves of Paris, and I had to rewrite and make it from scratch when I rechecked the distance between Paris and Switzerland. So I could've dragged this along for several chapters or just trigger this contact in switzerland.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Postby Gunbird » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:24 pm

Pariel wrote:
A disclaimer. This chapter was surprisingly hard to figure out. It was originally named the Wolves of Paris, and I had to rewrite and make it from scratch when I rechecked the distance between Paris and Switzerland. So I could've dragged this along for several chapters or just trigger this contact in switzerland.

Yes I think it would be better if you keep in Switzerland.
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Re: World at War, an Earth Age fic (Ch 7)

Postby Pariel » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:53 am

Chapter 7: The Truth is Out There.

Humming. Rattling. Darkness. An uncomfortable sensation of cold and yet at the same time there was a soft sensation along her body. The numbness receded at long last. Her muscles twitched once again as two eyelids which weighted as much as lead started to open.

Everything was gray and smelled oily. Focusing her blurry gaze the woman noticed an assortment of rattling crates inside a cylindrical space which had a dull metallic sheen. The sofa she had been sleeping on was a discordant note in the entire set up, as was the man who sat opposing her, watching her intently. Eventually the humming noises made sense in her mind. She was aboard a plane, alongside a shipment of vodka bottles. Smuggled.

"Oh, looks like you are waking up, Vita." her only apparent and ever smiling companion offered.

The woman stirred, clutching her head as she looked at the man. "My head... what the hell did you put in that drink? The hidden message inside the envelope of the capsule claimed it was just a strong sleeping agent, but I have the mother of all Russian hangovers..."

"At least you are alive, General. Isn't that grand?" Kalinin grinned as he spread his arms. "Because a cargo bay filled with Vodka bottles does make for a pretty cheap afterlife... or maybe not? Regardless, better not to find out about that. Yet."

Vita Dragunova eyed Kalinin briefly as she ruffled at the extreme bedhair crisis she had atop her head. There were two particularly rebellious strands of hair that shot up like antennae that refused to settle down. Judging by the look in Kalinin’s eyes he found it rather striking so for the first time in a long time she let the angry cowlick be. The gears in her mind shifted and turned, attempting to grasp the situation better than fingers could ever hope to work the tangles out of hair.

Kalinin had made it look like she was dead and in doing so had betrayed his superiors. But why would he do that? All information she had on the Smiling Man up until now proved he was unquestionably loyal. Perhaps she had fallen for his apparent tricks as so many others must have? What had really happened? Vita glared at the man opposite of her, baffled.

"What's the meaning of this, Kalinin? Why did you go against orders?"

Kalinin continued smiling as he leant closer. "That's not the kind of question you should be asking right now, is it?" he said with a smug grin.

Dragunova looked away for a brief second, recalling the earlier conversation. Her eyes narrowed. "You used the toxic intel to play the High Command like a fiddle. And yet, you didn't kill the supposed scapegoat. You want to make the High Command take the brunt this time. But what for? Who ordered you?" The General finally said, attempting to brush her blonde hair out of the way once more.

"Ding!" Kalinin winked, and used both index fingers to point at Vita. "We have a winner!" He then stretched lazily on his own couch, resting his head on his arms before continuing. "There are masters, and Masters for a dog, just like with you. A concerned philanthropist told me to change the initial plan and whisk you away."

Vita sat there, unmoving. Her eyes went wide for a split second, as she balled her hands into fists. No doubt about it, I was played. she thought.

"Consider my most heartfelt apologies. I wished to tell you beforehand, but you know, time constraints." Kalinin added.

"Since when, Kalinin?" Vita Dragunova asked, her teeth clenching.

"It's a long story." The Russian double agent rolled his eyes. " You get the Short story. Perhaps I will explain later. Now, there are more instructions."

Vita Dragunova folded her arms, her stare glaring daggers at Kalinin. "What makes you think I care about any of this?"

"Majestic 12." Kalinin said, in a far more somber voice. "It's not a quick fix or a personal favor. All of them are concerned."

Vita Dragunova's stare receded as she let a small sigh of annoyance. "If you can use that name and still draw breath it means we're on the same boat."

"Glad you understand." Kalinin beamed a smile as he forwarded a folder from under a seat cushion to Vita. "Here's your new identity. We are to enter Europe alongside these vodka bottles and perform operations against the drow. I hope you have no qualms about it."

"I'm a fucking stripper now!?" Vita Dragunova growled after a few quick glances at the file, threatening to crumple the offensive paper. "Did you do this on purpose?"

"No?" Kalinin said. "But there's only so much I can forge within a limited time frame. Bear with it."

"Hmph. Well then." Vita conceded.

"Although... There's something else. You see, Höffmann called. Things got worse." Kalinin added, a tinge of annoyance in his voice

"I hope you're not kidding me, what does that toad want from us?"

"Apparently someone goofed, and now the design paper of it is in drow hands along with a certain René Nadin." Kalinin chirped back.

Vita slammed her fist against a crate, temper flaring. "Do you have weapons, Kalinin?"

"Oh, certainly. See, this vodka shipment has a lethal lead concentration." The goofy Russian got up and reaching into one open crate, he tossed General Dragunova an automatic rifle from out of the shredded shipping ballast. "Our target is a certain huge drow commander. Red armor, big as a gorilla. Looks like final boss material out of one of those American video games. Banana was her name, maybe?"

"Quain'tana." Vita Dragunova said, letting the last syllable of the weird name linger.

"I had a hunch you would know of her." Kalinin smiled, and indicated Vita to come inspect a certain crate near the one full of rifles. "See, I did my homework a long time ago. You probably don't remember. You used to have a different name back then in Afghanistan. A different identity. Sarvita... I think you called yourself back then. And I was just a young whelp. But you ended up saving my life." He started to open the crate, huffing with effort. "Long story short, I found out that you were more than what you seemed after a first glance. For this revelation I was given two choices. Being a part of the entire masquerade, or ending up in a ditch. It was a no brainer which one I picked." He paused, reaching for something inside the crate. "But thanks to my curiosity, I know the truth of my savior. All I can say is that I owe you big time." he added. Shaking a large axe from the crate’s loose packaging, he weighed it in his hands before passing it into Vita’s grip with an uncustomary, genuine grin.

"Consider this a token of my gratitude, Sarv'swati. I had it restored." Kalinin finally said.
Last edited by Pariel on Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Postby Metzger » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:36 am

BANANA!? *lol* , I mean, great chapter but.... Banana? *lol*
also could have sworn that it was Snad he worked for
Metzger
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Pariel » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:52 am

Metzger wrote:BANANA!? *lol* , I mean, great chapter but.... Banana? *lol*
also could have sworn that it was Snad he worked for

Well, drow names are hard to get. Specially the first dozens of tries.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Postby Gunbird » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:06 pm

Majestic 12? I thought Obsidian Agent was doing the conspiracy story?

And is Vita Dragunova acutely Sarv'swati?
Gunbird
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to Fanfics and Fanart