Have Drowtales inspired stories and art? Share it here!

World at War, an Earth Age fic (Ch 12)

Re: World at War, an Earth Age fic (Ch 6)

Postby Pariel » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:59 pm

Yes, although this coincidence will have repercusions.

A disclaimer. This chapter was surprisingly hard to figure out. It was originally named the Wolves of Paris, and I had to rewrite and make it from scratch when I rechecked the distance between Paris and Switzerland. So I could've dragged this along for several chapters or just trigger this contact in switzerland.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Clan: Sharen

Re: World at War, an Earth Age fic (Ch 6)

Postby Gunbird » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:24 pm

Pariel wrote:
A disclaimer. This chapter was surprisingly hard to figure out. It was originally named the Wolves of Paris, and I had to rewrite and make it from scratch when I rechecked the distance between Paris and Switzerland. So I could've dragged this along for several chapters or just trigger this contact in switzerland.

Yes I think it would be better if you keep in Switzerland.
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Re: World at War, an Earth Age fic (Ch 7)

Postby Pariel » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:53 am

Chapter 7: The Truth is Out There.

Humming. Rattling. Darkness. An uncomfortable sensation of cold and yet at the same time there was a soft sensation along her body. The numbness receded at long last. Her muscles twitched once again as two eyelids which weighted as much as lead started to open.

Everything was gray and smelled oily. Focusing her blurry gaze the woman noticed an assortment of rattling crates inside a cylindrical space which had a dull metallic sheen. The sofa she had been sleeping on was a discordant note in the entire set up, as was the man who sat opposing her, watching her intently. Eventually the humming noises made sense in her mind. She was aboard a plane, alongside a shipment of vodka bottles. Smuggled.

"Oh, looks like you are waking up, Vita." her only apparent and ever smiling companion offered.

The woman stirred, clutching her head as she looked at the man. "My head... what the hell did you put in that drink? The hidden message inside the envelope of the capsule claimed it was just a strong sleeping agent, but I have the mother of all Russian hangovers..."

"At least you are alive, General. Isn't that grand?" Kalinin grinned as he spread his arms. "Because a cargo bay filled with Vodka bottles does make for a pretty cheap afterlife... or maybe not? Regardless, better not to find out about that. Yet."

Vita Dragunova eyed Kalinin briefly as she ruffled at the extreme bedhair crisis she had atop her head. There were two particularly rebellious strands of hair that shot up like antennae that refused to settle down. Judging by the look in Kalinin’s eyes he found it rather striking so for the first time in a long time she let the angry cowlick be. The gears in her mind shifted and turned, attempting to grasp the situation better than fingers could ever hope to work the tangles out of hair.

Kalinin had made it look like she was dead and in doing so had betrayed his superiors. But why would he do that? All information she had on the Smiling Man up until now proved he was unquestionably loyal. Perhaps she had fallen for his apparent tricks as so many others must have? What had really happened? Vita glared at the man opposite of her, baffled.

"What's the meaning of this, Kalinin? Why did you go against orders?"

Kalinin continued smiling as he leant closer. "That's not the kind of question you should be asking right now, is it?" he said with a smug grin.

Dragunova looked away for a brief second, recalling the earlier conversation. Her eyes narrowed. "You used the toxic intel to play the High Command like a fiddle. And yet, you didn't kill the supposed scapegoat. You want to make the High Command take the brunt this time. But what for? Who ordered you?" The General finally said, attempting to brush her blonde hair out of the way once more.

"Ding!" Kalinin winked, and used both index fingers to point at Vita. "We have a winner!" He then stretched lazily on his own couch, resting his head on his arms before continuing. "There are masters, and Masters for a dog, just like with you. A concerned philanthropist told me to change the initial plan and whisk you away."

Vita sat there, unmoving. Her eyes went wide for a split second, as she balled her hands into fists. No doubt about it, I was played. she thought.

"Consider my most heartfelt apologies. I wished to tell you beforehand, but you know, time constraints." Kalinin added.

"Since when, Kalinin?" Vita Dragunova asked, her teeth clenching.

"It's a long story." The Russian double agent rolled his eyes. " You get the Short story. Perhaps I will explain later. Now, there are more instructions."

Vita Dragunova folded her arms, her stare glaring daggers at Kalinin. "What makes you think I care about any of this?"

"Majestic 12." Kalinin said, in a far more somber voice. "It's not a quick fix or a personal favor. All of them are concerned."

Vita Dragunova's stare receded as she let a small sigh of annoyance. "If you can use that name and still draw breath it means we're on the same boat."

"Glad you understand." Kalinin beamed a smile as he forwarded a folder from under a seat cushion to Vita. "Here's your new identity. We are to enter Europe alongside these vodka bottles and perform operations against the drow. I hope you have no qualms about it."

"I'm a fucking stripper now!?" Vita Dragunova growled after a few quick glances at the file, threatening to crumple the offensive paper. "Did you do this on purpose?"

"No?" Kalinin said. "But there's only so much I can forge within a limited time frame. Bear with it."

"Hmph. Well then." Vita conceded.

"Although... There's something else. You see, Höffmann called. Things got worse." Kalinin added, a tinge of annoyance in his voice

"I hope you're not kidding me, what does that toad want from us?"

"Apparently someone goofed, and now the design paper of it is in drow hands along with a certain René Nadin." Kalinin chirped back.

Vita slammed her fist against a crate, temper flaring. "Do you have weapons, Kalinin?"

"Oh, certainly. See, this vodka shipment has a lethal lead concentration." The goofy Russian got up and reaching into one open crate, he tossed General Dragunova an automatic rifle from out of the shredded shipping ballast. "Our target is a certain huge drow commander. Red armor, big as a gorilla. Looks like final boss material out of one of those American video games. Banana was her name, maybe?"

"Quain'tana." Vita Dragunova said, letting the last syllable of the weird name linger.

"I had a hunch you would know of her." Kalinin smiled, and indicated Vita to come inspect a certain crate near the one full of rifles. "See, I did my homework a long time ago. You probably don't remember. You used to have a different name back then in Afghanistan. A different identity. Sarvita... I think you called yourself back then. And I was just a young whelp. But you ended up saving my life." He started to open the crate, huffing with effort. "Long story short, I found out that you were more than what you seemed after a first glance. For this revelation I was given two choices. Being a part of the entire masquerade, or ending up in a ditch. It was a no brainer which one I picked." He paused, reaching for something inside the crate. "But thanks to my curiosity, I know the truth of my savior. All I can say is that I owe you big time." he added. Shaking a large axe from the crate’s loose packaging, he weighed it in his hands before passing it into Vita’s grip with an uncustomary, genuine grin.

"Consider this a token of my gratitude, Sarv'swati. I had it restored." Kalinin finally said.
Last edited by Pariel on Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Postby Metzger » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:36 am

BANANA!? *lol* , I mean, great chapter but.... Banana? *lol*
also could have sworn that it was Snad he worked for
Metzger
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Pariel » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:52 am

Metzger wrote:BANANA!? *lol* , I mean, great chapter but.... Banana? *lol*
also could have sworn that it was Snad he worked for

Well, drow names are hard to get. Specially the first dozens of tries.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Postby Gunbird » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:06 pm

Majestic 12? I thought Obsidian Agent was doing the conspiracy story?

And is Vita Dragunova acutely Sarv'swati?
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:43 am

Great update! Although I do wonder how he came to banana is that supposed to be part of his gorilla comparison. Also I hope they noob tube the Sargs to death maybe thats why quains so salty she's pissed that so many of her raiders where noob tubed to death by scrubs.
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Re: World at War, an Earth Age fic (Ch 8)

Postby Pariel » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:10 am

Chapter 8: Leviathan

Cavern under the Alps

For good or ill the voyage had been uneventful. A regal if somewhat small woman, clad in teal cerimonial armor kept her eyes on the broad back of her mate, while thinking over what had led her to her current predicament. For a brief moment she shook off her thoughts as her mount stopped, a scent catching his interest. The faint sparkling of the mineral ores of the cave was a nice contrast to the gentle, yet earth-scented draft that hit her nose. She was nearing the surface.

Zala’ess, the once proud fifth daughter of the Empress Diva’ratrika bit her lip and looked back over her shoulder at all the fierce Dragon Knights and Summoners who formed up behind their matriarch. Her magnificent brood in all its entirety had been a nightmare to move, but she luckily had Sabrror there to help with the logistics. Leaning forward she gripped the figure of her mate tightly as he spurred their dragon further towards the unknown leaving her to ponder her fate once more.

Zala couldn’t shake the ominous feeling she had from watching her mother become distressed over this mission. Despite the claims of braggarts the Overworld must be dangerous indeed for the wise, harsh and ancient Empress to react in such a manner. But being given this opportunity to redeem herself was the best chance Zala'ess had to finally cleanse her name. Ever had she been in the shadows of her elders, disregarded as frivolous. Beyond that her duplicity in the incident with her eldest sisters and the subsequent double-cross shattered what little standing she had gained from her fine and enormous lineage, even in the eyes of her mother. Regardless of why she was here she would prove them all wrong with this one success. She dreamt of that pleasant thought and its benefits until her reverie was broken by the halt of her dragon.

"Sarghress main surface campaign camp. We're here." A female voice said by her side, accompanied by a canine bark.

Zala'ess looked at her traveling companion, Mel'anarch. Mel was the odd woman out amongst the Val'Sarghress. Which left her in a somewhat similar predicament to Zala'ess's own. Quain'tana had left Mel in Chel as a "liaison", obviously not wanting to take her firstborn daughter on a campaign like this. Not that Mel seemed to mind the job she‘d been stuck with. She was on far better terms and had better manners than her mother when it came to talking to the ruling clan, so her presence was tolerated. However, as a mediator between Quain and the throne, Mel’s performance was lackluster at best. Her own brother, Kel'noz, was much better suited for it. And he was easier on the eye Zala'ess added mentally with a chuckle.

To think that on the shoulders of these two pariahs rested the critical task of convincing Quain'tana the Mercenary Queen to let go of her plunder and return to Chel was laughable at best. In this it was glaringly apparent to Zala that her mother was trying to punish her; or more frighteningly, that the Empress had no one better suited than Mel to offer aid. Zala couldn't tell, nor would she be discouraged. Looking Mel in the eye, she ordered Sabbror to dismount.

Sneers and stares from veteran mercenaries who were impetuous from being lowborn and whose only motto was “might makes right” accompanied both as they crossed the camp together, but neither woman dared to stop them. The soldiers were being awfully polite otherwise, sending the occasional runner to Quain'tana to announce their arrival. Beyond the subdued jeering they were led quickly through the camp and directly to Quain’tana herself without the usual dismissal both Val and eldest daughter had come to expect from the gruff Sarghress Ill’haress. As soon as Zala and Mel entered the tent they knew why.

Quain’tana stood there, tall, proud and as frowning as ever. She was surrounded by her usual retinue of grizzled warriors, save one. The daughter of Suube and Mandroga. Had something happened to Koil’dorath? Zala wondered but was warned by a shake of Mel’s head not to express the concern openly. The mood of the gathering was grim and many of those assembled were doing a poor job of hiding their discomfort. The most fascinating thing was what was in the middle of the circle of soldiers anyway, so Zala‘ess let the unanswered questions fall away.

A single surface female was bound between all these mighty warriors, who aside from possessing rumpled expensive clothes and a bleeding nose looked to be so out of place it was almost laughable. Yet Zala'ess gaped slightly, which prompted an amused look from the otherwise frowning Quain'tana.

"Welcome, lady Val." No one but Quain'tana could make such politeness feel so insulting. "As you can see, we captured someone from their side. Someone important. We are trying to find a someone who can speak her language. Do you know of anybody?" She added in a sarcastic tone. Zala'ess looked at the creature, and so did Mel'anarch. She was so different, though so oddly familiar to both newcomers. Perhaps it was the human’s facial structure, or bearing?

Or her aura. Zala'ess took a step back, looking at Mel'anarch. Quain’s first daughter was a mirror of her own feelings as both stuttered mentally in utter confusion. Glancing back at the captive, she tried to puzzle the riddle together. How could a goblin have an aura? No, more importantly how could an animal have her sister's aura! That was it, the human woman was possessed by Snadhya's aura! Zala'ess's eyes flew wide in terror.

Quain'tana and Suube both raised an eyebrow at Zala'ess panicked reaction, before they were interrupted by a soft chuckling.

"Too soon." The creature said, in perfectly accented drow. "This was too soon. How very thoughtless on my part." she added, as the ropes binding her combusted with mana flames.

Everyone else had drawn their blades and stern stares mixed with surprised faces. "Who are you?" Mandroga said asked, as the woman stood tall and haughty despite her ruined clothes and damaged face. The lady in question ignored him save for a smile and began focusing her mana. "Heh, cutey, do you think you can take all of us head on?" He jeered. A blinding light shone upon them all in answer. Curses and damnations were heard as the warriors staggered for a few seconds, but none managed to connect a hit on the woman, who had deftly sprung out of the death trap.

"Do you think you can run!? You're surrounded!" Mandroga yelled, his anger getting the best of of him. Still smiling, the woman produced a large jewel from her purse.

"No way." Mel'anarch gasped, in shock.

"SUMMONER!" Someone else yelled as the earth around them exploded, and a large, grotesque rocky puppet in the semblance of a dragon erupted around the slightly disheveled woman, shielding her with it’s body. She continued to smile.

"People here now know me as René Nadin. But once, I was known as Snadhya'runes." she finally said, her stare resting upon Quain'tana. Smirk still glittering in her eyes she assumed a combat stance. "Now that presentations are done...would you kindly die and take this secret to your tomb?"
Last edited by Pariel on Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:09 pm

WHAT A TWWWIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTT
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby Metzger » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:01 pm

So the Nid coup failed and Snad went for the surface and took a goblin identity? smart move in this world... or did I make a mistake?
Metzger
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Pariel » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:41 pm

Metzger wrote:So the Nid coup failed and Snad went for the surface and took a goblin identity? smart move in this world... or did I make a mistake?

Seems the case, yes. The failed coup was mentioned in ch 2.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Postby Smokehammer » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:03 am

Im curious Par, Im not sure if Rene(Snad) is dark skinned or not but how in the 9 hells did Siksi ever pass for a blond Ruskie?

(Cool Fic so far BTW). [I can help with the proof reading if you want, since I have lots of time on my hands and easy access to an English minor, if I get stuck]
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Pariel » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:02 am

Smokehammer wrote:Im curious Par, Im not sure if Rene(Snad) is dark skinned or not but how in the 9 hells did Siksi ever pass for a blond Ruskie?

(Cool Fic so far BTW). [I can help with the proof reading if you want, since I have lots of time on my hands and easy access to an English minor, if I get stuck]

She isn't dark skinned. There's a trick to it that will be revealed eventually. Hm... i should add add a mention to her skin tone somewhere.
Cool about the proofread. The chapters who aren't proofread are marked as raw.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:59 am

Miss Nadin being Snadhya raises allot of questions firstly how did she get to the surface before the mass opening of the passage ways, was there a secret small route to the surface? The Nid War couldn't have taken place to long ago so if she escaped to the surface and became a fairly high standing businesswoman how long did she take to reach her level of power with presumably no prier standing in Surface society and how did she evade suspicion regarding her origin as most people will try to find out her background and if every investigation no matter how thorough suggests that she might have well popped out of a hole in the ground a few years ago that will raise allot of alarms.

Secondly why does the ability to disguise Drow as humans exist as even though that would probably not be to hard for the various bio engineers among the Drow it would take time to be developed and there would be no real reason for anyone to develop that procedure before now as the disguise would be of little use as anyone with Mana sight will see through the facade easily and they had no contact with a powerful human polity before now, did that hair horn jaal develop the process?
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Re: World at War, an Earth Age fic (Ch 9)

Postby Pariel » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:16 am

Chapter 9: Red Dawn

Time slowed down to a crawl. Senses were ready to detect the slightest change in one's surroundings. Inside her chest, her heart was threatening to burst out. She looked at each one of her opponents. She had issued an hostile remark and there was no turning back. Snadhya'runes inhaled as the stone mimicry of a dragon crawled around her.

It began with Mandroga, his burly and crude frame speeding towards her with the grace of a hale. If he had been the only opponent this match would already be over. But Snadhya barely had time to react to his mate Suu’be’s stream of flame aimed at her battered face. Simultaneously she also fended off a pincer attack from Sang and her blasted get, Kor’maril. For a massive summon like the dragon, and a summoner with her degree of skill, four opponents were possible to defend against. A fifth however would put her trouble.

Quickly, she accounted for everyone else in the room. Zala’ess was still in shock and Sabbror wasn’t going to leave her side. Mel’anarch wouldn’t attempt to hurt her, as her face was still a mess of conflicting feelings. And Quain'tana …

Quain’tana was just standing there with her arms folded, her eyes set on something; something other than Snadhya.

Cursing under her breath, all alarms rang on the eldest daughter of the Empress, as she barely managed to dodge a skillfully aimed blade thrust at her face. Bleeding from the resulting gash engraved in her cheek Snadhya sneered, “Laele.” from between quenched teeth while stepping back to avoid an untimely demise from the Fallen’s second blade. Turned, but trapped between her summon and the second daughter of Quain’tana, Snadhya had no time to contemplate the severity of the slice left in her arm from the last maneuver. For Laele’all, both mismatched eyes fixated on Snadhya smiled confidently as a searing pain flared down the summoner’s neck and ears. Suu’be had taken advantage of the distraction to set her brunette hair aflame!

The stone dragon, in response to its mistress’s distress and broken concentration dropped its tail for a split second, resulting in two blades being buried deep inside each of Snadhya’s thighs. The blades of Sang and Koil’maril. Laele brought her own blades to bare once more then, aiming for her neck.

It was happening again! Snadhya had grown over confident before. Thinking she could kill a room full of Chel’s finest fighters by herself? She should’ve counted herself lucky if she had been able to escape. Here, her old self would have exploded into a murderous outrage, attempting to attack everything in sight before being put down without much grace. But the failure of the Nidraa’chal had taught her to endure. To survive.

Two arms shot upwards, a mana shield forming in each. Combined they repelled Laele’s decapitation attack and knocked the swords from her hands. Snadhya, visage contorted with pain, grinding her teeth and straining, locked eyes with her main attacker. The stone dragon abruptly stopped moving and left a pile of rock behind upon dismissal as Snadhya’s poured all her mana into the shields.

"SHIT!" Mandroga cursed, as the world exploded around the five attackers. A large mana explosion threw everyone but Laele and Quain'tana off their feet and extinguished Suu’be’s fire. Snadhya caught Quain'tana drawing her blade out of the corner of her eye but Laele’all had found her knives and was relentlessly pressing her. The Fallen stabbed once again at the summoner’s throat but was blocked by the open palm of Snadhya’s left hand.

“DIE ALREADY!”, spat Laele, cursing and eyeing the seemingly invincible “human” before her. It wasn’t hard to forget the creature was nearly a millennia old fae with all the incredible discipline and strength that afforded. Not bothering to retrieve her blade from the other woman’s hand, Quain’s second daughter simply grabbed for another knife and lunged forward for the kill.

Crimson splattered everywhere as the massive jaw of the dragon summon reborn came forth, swallowing Laele'aell whole and crushing her in a split second. Dizzy from blood loss, Snadhya didn’t respond as a large blade broke through the pile of rock behind her descending upon her right arm with extraordinary force, severing it. Snadhya screamed, finally unable to contain her agony as the mighty arm of Quain'tana swung for her once more.

Hatred and rage boiled in the Mercenary Queen’s eyes, replacing her usual stern glare. But the finishing blow upon the hapless summoner was repelled. Quain’s sword bounced instinctually back into guard after meeting a blade of equal thickness.

"I cannot allow you to have her head." Sarv'swati's voice announced.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Fanfics and Fanart