Have Drowtales inspired stories and art? Share it here!

World at War, an Earth Age fic (Ch 12)

World at War, an Earth Age fic (Ch 12)

Postby Pariel » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:02 pm

Howdy.

I suppose the title demands some explanation, Earth Age (link) was one of the what if stories of the archives of daydream. A story about what would happen if the Drowtales world and the modern world collided. The concept had charm, but the execution was less than successful, and I won't go in details there. Far from my point.

However, I still think the story could be salvaged. And soon I had some ideas to try with. This fanfic is the result. I do expect not to butcher this too much.

Recap of the story so far: A massive wave of earthquakes has opened the path for every nearly major underworld city. Nuqrah in the east coast, Char in Canada, Hel in Greenland, Damadi in the far east, Mimaneid in the western part of the Black Sea, and Chel in Switzerland. The world is at shock. Some of these dwellers, like the ones from Nuqrah have been peaceful, others like Chel have not. And the humans have had mixed reactions. From the peace talks of New Hampshire to the bombing of Mimaneid.

INDEX of CONTENTS

Chapter 1(Proofread by nerdycanuck)
Chapter 2(Proofread by nerdycanuck)
Chapter 3(Proofread by Smokehammer)
Chapter 4(Proofread by Smokehammer)
Chapter 5(Proofread by Smokehammer)
Chapter 6(Proofread by Smokehammer)
Chapter 7(Proofread by Smokehammer)
Chapter 8(Proofread by Smokehammer)
Chapter 9(Proofread by Smokehammer)
Chapter 10(Proofread by Smokehammer)
Chapter 11(Proofread by Smokehammer)
Chapter 11.5(Proofread by Smokehammer)
Chapter 12(Raw)
Misc:
Christmas Special
Vignette 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter One: Of War and profit

Munich, Germany.

Twenty first century. The globalization. A massive, maddened ever growing network of communications designed to reach even the tiniest corners of each. All of the world's news in a single click of a remote. A thousand voices, a thousand faces. All of them saying the same.

-Massive Earthquakes happening all over the northern hemisphere...-
-Damage calculations estimated to exceeed...-
-Modern geological models proven wrong...-
-Strange creatures...-
-Chaos...-

Höffmann sighed, as he switched the large flatscreen TV off. Evening news were usually boring, but today they were a maddening cacophony. He stood up with certain difficulty, middle age and overweight finally taking its toll. He took his glasses off and pinched his nosebridge. This series of events was turning his world upside down. The markets would go wild upon these news. As a businessman, he had prevailed over lots of chaotic situations, but, perhaps due to old age, he was beginning to think this was too big for him.

He sighed with quiet resignation, and grabbed the bottle of Schnapps that had been his only companion in the solitude of his home. He took another shot. He would need it to get his bearings. He breathed deep once more and did what a businessman could do in any kind of pinch. Make a few calls.

"Miss Nadin?" Höffman managed to utter in a rather tired, harsh voice. If there was someone who would know what to do, it was her.

"Oh, Höffmann? It's pretty late for a call. What is it?" A melodic voice was heard from the other side.

"Have you seen the news?" Höffmann explained, dryly. "The whole world is at chaos, what with these strange sightings and whatnot. I don't know what to do."

"Höffmann, my good man, this is so unlike you. You should get your bearings. Chaos or balance, it matters little. It's all about business opportunities."

"But they're in the Alps. They might move here, or there. You should come back to Germany."

A small, restrained chuckle was the answer. "Oh, Höffmann. You don't believe the French Army is that bad, don't you? Calm down. They're right now in Switzerland. And you know the Swiss reputation. Not to mention each family has a rifle at home. I think that a bunch of Tolkien rejects isn't going to scare them off once the initial shock wears off. Even IF the Swiss are overwhelmed, they're going to end up butting their heads against the Bundeswerh and the French Armed Forces."

"But...it's still risky."

"Everything is risky, old friend. Your concern is touching. But it is misplaced. I believe the ones that we should look out the most is those who are appearing in Canada, with a will to trade and enough gold to upset the stock values. Focus on these."

"I shall see to it. What about the ones appearing in Russia?"

Another chuckle. "They're just lambs sent to slaughter. See, Russians have been itching to fight something recently, lick old wounds. And they're already bombing them. But I will tell you something. I'll get in touch with my friends in Nova, just in case."

"Nova, the PMC? Oh. Okay... Thanks for listening to me, miss Nadin. Your knowledge about the events is reassuring."

Again, a giggle. "Oh my. Remember me to tell you a few things about this matter, once this is over. Preferably with a fine Bordeaux. See you later, Höffmann."

"Good night, miss Nadin." Höffmann hung, his sight lingering a few moments on the telephone, before running a hand over his greying hair.

"I'm going to need to make some coffee. There's work to do."
Last edited by Pariel on Wed May 24, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 28 times in total.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Clan: Sharen

Re: World at War, an Earth Age fic.

Postby Pariel » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:28 pm

Thanks to Ileimaire for proofreading!

Chapter 2: Axis Mundi.

Chel'el'sussuloth

Headache. It was all a big, annoying headache. She had not felt this way in a long time.

Shifting her legs in her chair and grasping the arms of her seat, Diva'ratrika stood there, heroically, listening to the chorus of discord that was the meeting she had just summoned.

Probably, the outcome of this council would be one of the heaviest decisions she had to make in her reign as Empress of Chel'el'sussuloth. Harsher than the outcome of the failed Nidraa'chal coup where she had to exile two of her daughters and their bloodlines for their treason. The Val'Sharen had suffered a great blow as a result. Diva'ratrika wondered what would have happened if the third daughter that had taken part in the conspiracy, her youngest surviving, Zala'ess, had not have a change of heart. Would her head still be on her shoulders?

She gritted her teeth. Vel'Sharen. Some people flung that at them as an insult, blaming her for not keeping Snadhya'runes in check. Her territory and influence had been diminished and, with a heavy heart, she had to arrange her clan along her loyal daughters. For her subdued temper, it was Nishi'kanta the one to whom she entrusted the title of Illharess. Sil'lice, although more experienced, lacked the restraint and had more pettiness than her, but her loyalty was unquestionable. If there was anyone she wanted at her and the Dutanvir's side to keep her safe, replacing the backstabbing Nir'naya as head of the Imperial Guard, it was her third daughter.

She let a long, drawn out sigh as she pressed the intercom.

Their entire little world, the one she and others carefully built had been literally torn asunder. Reaching the surface was an actual fact now and she had heard that other cities were making their plans. If only those ashen children knew what awaited. No, it was even worse. After millennia hidden in caves, even Diva'ratrika couldn't know what awaited. The crown had never felt so heavy. Would she cast her people into the unknown to satisfy the pride of a few? Or would she curl up in her cave, stalling the advances that the circumstances could bring.

Nevertheless, if she did nothing it would be worse.

"I bid welcome to all of you and I am grateful you were able to answer my summons so quickly, given the circumstances." She said. Of course three seats had not been filled, those of the Sarghress, Nal'sarkoth and Illhar'dro.

Hushed whispers came from no less than half a dozen of places surrounding her. While it was true that whenever the empress spoke everyone remained silent (save certain noteworthy exceptions), the council was but an ornate mirror of the hearts of all Chel. And Chel as a whole was nervous and expectant. Divided, even, between hope and dread.

Upon Diva's shoulders rested the command to prevent Chaos. A power tested once and many times against the blades of her own friends and foes.

"These are strange times. Reports from all the other cities coincide with our own. The surface exits have been opened once more due to the massive earthquakes. The surface, which has been a long dream of many of us. Yet, for all the good luck this event brings, there is always a price."

Diva'ratrika stopped for a second. Choosing her words. She knew very well how patronizing her speech could get at times. And she wanted not to spark the flames of old wars in this situation.

"A few of us were born there, a long time ago. The surface can be treacherous, as we have no idea how much has changed. More than now, we need unity of action. Our voices should speak as one. And this is the purpose of this meeting." She finally ended. "Waes'soloth, your report."

The empress of Chel sat, her speech ending. She scanned with her mind the faces of the other clan representatives. Ash'waren, that damned cat, had a snide expression, while her stag peer Sannin'di had a thoughtful expression. Shimi'lande had nodded approvingly when she had mentioned unity. Asira'malika was distracted with the ceiling chandelier. Nishi'kanta, her own daughter, had refrained to make any sort of expression, instead looking towards the report of the spider Illharess.

"Thank you, Val'sharess. As it stands, my sources reveal that no sooner the tremors had ended, a large host of members from the Sarghress clans have exited the now open gates. All of the known accesses to our city have been affected by the earthquake, but we can feel in all of them movement of air. We believe all entries from the surface are now free to transit and that the Sarghress were quick to capitalize."

Diva'ratrika could barely held back a discomforted expression upon hearing that. Her fist clenched, eyeing Sannin'di and Nishi'kanta alternatively. Ash'waren's smile was more evident now. Waes'soloth continued.

"The damages of the earthquakes are negligible, and civil rioting has not yet happened." She curtly added to finish her turn.

As she was seated, Ash'waren lazily reached for the gem, and pressed it. "I can confirm the Sarghress movement. Quain'tana has the philosophy that fortune favors the bold... and I am pretty sure other cities are doing the same currently. In doing so, she will become the representative of Chel towards surfacers." The Sullisin'rune Illharess was ecstatic. Few times she could make the very Val'sharess of Chel writhe in disgust with so little done. "I suggest we commend them and give them support. We should act as one, after all. And supporting the Sarghress expedition will be the first step."

Damn you, cat! Diva'ratrika flexed her fist, but choose not to answer. Instead, Sannin'di was the one who reached the gem for her turn.

"But is it wise, Ash'waren? We are not really sure how the surfacers will react to such display. There is a difference between initiative and recklessness, and the wolf clan is known for this very fact." Sannin'di replied.

"Sannin'di dear, you'd not know how to handle change even if your life depended on it." Asira'malikha answered in a jovial tone. "The more the merrier, we Jaal'darya can..."

And the conversation descended furthered into bickering when Shimi'lande joined the strained conversation. "Those heathens are not for you to experiment on! I shall not allow the corruption to nest in this city because we are in a position to reach the surface again!"

Diva'ratrika rubbed her temple. Waes'soloth looked at Nishi'kanta, and herself was looking at Diva'ratrika. Sannin'di was trying to put some peace between Asira'malika and Shimi'lande, and Ash'waren was just smiling lazily.

"ENOUGH!" Diva'ratrika said, in a commanding voice. "Ash'waren, haven't you forgotten about our past!? The surface is no toy. Nor something that can be conquered fully in a single campaign!" She then began to yell. "We have to make haste and put the collar on the wolf you've so recklessly let loose. An envoy of the Sharen clan will be dispatched to join the Sarghress and put a stop to this madness in a few cycles! The rest of us will stay here until the crisis is solved. There will not be more actions taken without the awareness of this council. Every clan will contribute to patrol the borders and report here."

It was then when Nishi'kanta finally spoke up in a calm, subdued voice.

"Yes, Val'sharess. Who will be sent?"

The Val'sharess thought for a while. She couldn't afford to take manpower from the imperial guard nor the clan, as things would be getting hard to control once word got out of her decision.

"Send Zala'ess' brood. She has longed for a chance to prove her loyalty. This is her chance." She finally conceded as she initiated the throne's device to hover."Tell the servants to bring refreshments and suitable lodgings for all Councilwomen. And send some valerian tea to my throne room."

Diva'ratrika sighed. The die had been cast. But the worst, she felt, had yet to happen.
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Postby TheJackinati275 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:34 am

Oh man i was going to do one of these types of Stories...

Well atleast i don't have to write this time

I cant believe people voted this out, it had all the hallmarks of being quite good, but i guess people got all bitchy about the "Drow are Superior... meets modern gun to face" type sentiment
TheJackinati275
Tainted

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby SFI » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:06 pm

Oh mai, this will be interesting :3
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby atreids5 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:17 pm

Well finaly something new in this thread it hought it was abandoned.
atreids5
Nether Seed

Postby Metzger » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:21 am

I hope this story will have more updates, a really good start! 8)
Metzger
Dragon of the Nether

Postby CorThunder » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:06 am

Looking forward to more.
CorThunder
Nether Spawn

Postby Gunbird » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:42 am

TheJackinati275 wrote:Oh man i was going to do one of these types of Stories...

Well atleast i don't have to write this time

I cant believe people voted this out, it had all the hallmarks of being quite good, but i guess people got all bitchy about the "Drow are Superior... meets modern gun to face" type sentiment

Maybe I'm wrong, but did a adman came in and put a stop to that flamewar?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see more of this fic. Lets hope there won't be a "modern military beat all" vs "Magic is better" type of arguments. I do wonder what would happen if you try to start that stuff on a military or gun from?
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby TheJackinati275 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:46 pm

I wouldn't have a clue, i am quite new to drowtales and i was just writing down what i had apparently heard happened originally.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see more of this fic. Lets hope there won't be a "modern military beat all" vs "Magic is better" type of arguments.

I am also agreed. Whilst magic may not be able to fire 7.62x51 rounds out at 3000 rounds per minute (M134 Gatling gun), Magic can certainly be used in other areas...

Personally i am of the "Modern Military beat all" group because seriously, is it even up for debate... Modern arms will be able to dominate in practically all eras of mankind, send an Apache Helicopter or a tank with a M2 Browning or M134 on it and you can practically kill the Spartans and the persians, Conquer rome or End the Crusades... and if you run out of ammo for both then you can just run them over... Just look at this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9NfapOdX80...
And if their is still a person who can look me in the face and say "Magic is better", well can your magic summon up a 50 Megaton Nuke?

As to the Magic, i feel that Magic may give the Drow an advantage in certain situations yet it can also be a disadvantage in others... Demons on one hand (who seek to devour all Fey creatures) and Mana Starvation on the surface as another weakness (unless there is mana on the surface).

So long as the Author acknowledges that Human Military Technology is superior and that the Drow have to work around or find ways to utilise their Mana use in such a way as to level the playing field (perhaps having Metal-affinity sorcerers or whatever use their abilities to warp Gun barrels or tank Armour e.t.c), then i will be happy...

On the other hand, if the Author gives us a "Human = Stormtroopers, Drow = Superhero" stuff, then i would be put off
TheJackinati275
Tainted

Postby Gunbird » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:35 am

TheJackinati275 wrote:

I wouldn't have a clue, i am quite new to drowtales and i was just writing down what i had apparently heard happened originally.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see more of this fic. Lets hope there won't be a "modern military beat all" vs "Magic is better" type of arguments.

I am also agreed. Whilst magic may not be able to fire 7.62x51 rounds out at 3000 rounds per minute (M134 Gatling gun), Magic can certainly be used in other areas...

Personally i am of the "Modern Military beat all" group because seriously, is it even up for debate... Modern arms will be able to dominate in practically all eras of mankind, send an Apache Helicopter or a tank with a M2 Browning or M134 on it and you can practically kill the Spartans and the persians, Conquer rome or End the Crusades... and if you run out of ammo for both then you can just run them over... Just look at this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9NfapOdX80...
And if their is still a person who can look me in the face and say "Magic is better", well can your magic summon up a 50 Megaton Nuke?

As to the Magic, i feel that Magic may give the Drow an advantage in certain situations yet it can also be a disadvantage in others... Demons on one hand (who seek to devour all Fey creatures) and Mana Starvation on the surface as another weakness (unless there is mana on the surface).

So long as the Author acknowledges that Human Military Technology is superior and that the Drow have to work around or find ways to utilise their Mana use in such a way as to level the playing field (perhaps having Metal-affinity sorcerers or whatever use their abilities to warp Gun barrels or tank Armour e.t.c), then i will be happy...

On the other hand, if the Author gives us a "Human = Stormtroopers, Drow = Superhero" stuff, then i would be put off

What do you mix the Royal Air Force with a kid who think brooms are cool? THIS!!! http://panzerfire.deviantart.com/art/Ha ... -480664160

As for the Magic Vs Technology type of story, you rely shouldn't make it one sided to ether side.It will get boring real quickly for most readers. Especially when there is a "both sides are good guys" theme going in it. It hard to that work though.

Not too mention that most people on this site don't know to much about military equipment. Heck, even Kern doesn't know to much about that stuff. I asked him on his live-stream "What gun would Ariel use in a modern military setting?" The only gun that he knew was the AK47. I was thinking more of the FAL. Big gun for big woman.
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby TheJackinati275 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:06 pm

I was thinking more of the FAL. Big gun for big woman.

Ariel with a FN Fal... Damn, that'll wreck the Sharess... that is if that FN Fal you were thinking of is the 7.62 Nato version and not a 5.56er.

As for the Magic Vs Technology type of story, you rely shouldn't make it one sided to ether side.It will get boring real quickly for most readers. Especially when there is a "both sides are good guys" theme going in it. It hard to that work though.

I am actually writing a fanfic story sort of like that, it is on Fanfic.net and it is a crossover with Civilisation: beyond earth and World of Warcraft, boy is it going to be a bit of a challenge when i get to the point where the two peoples meet, and trying not to not give either side too much of an advantage

Balancing the logical with the magical will be like trying to hit a fly with a hammer... very difficult and you are likely to injure yourself if you do it wrong
TheJackinati275
Tainted

Postby Gunbird » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:16 pm

TheJackinati275 wrote:
Ariel with a FN Fal... Damn, that'll wreck the Sharess... that is if that FN Fal you were thinking of is the 7.62 Nato version and not a 5.56er.

Since Kern and Kite are from Canada, I thought a modern day Ariel would use a gun that countries army used. It called C1A1, similar to the British L1A1.

And I think Brazil was the only country to make a 5.56 Fal. It's called the IMBEL MD. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMBEL_MD
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Postby Pariel » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:48 am

Please refrain from posting off topic chat on this thread. It might be misleading to people who could be expecting new updates. Thanks in advance. Also, it is Sharen, not Sharess. Plus there will be no modern Ariel since the original story clearly stated Ariel to be one of the drow surface invaders.

However, as a consolation prize for making it this far, I'll let you know a snippet of what I'm working on. Most likely there will be a double release this time.

Chapter 3: Helen of Troy
Chapter 4: Horseman
Pariel
Sharen Errand Boy

Postby ThatGuyThisGuy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:47 pm

Well it is nice to see that this is going to be updated sometime soon as this is a very well written fanfiction also those chapter names do make wonder where the plot will go.

EDIT
Also there better be plenty of white phosphorus, nuclear weaponry, and nerve gas use in this fic.
ThatGuyThisGuy
Demon

Postby Gunbird » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:10 pm

ThatGuyThisGuy wrote:Well it is nice to see that this is going to be updated sometime soon as this is a very well written fanfiction also those chapter names do make wonder where the plot will go.

EDIT
Also there better be plenty of white phosphorus, nuclear weaponry, and nerve gas use in this fic.

I never heard of white phosphorus being as a weapon.
Gunbird
Vel'akar

Next

Return to Fanfics and Fanart