Have Drowtales inspired stories and art? Share it here!

Aranea percutit Draconem - Completed

Re: Aranea percutit Draconem - Chapter 16

Postby SFI » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:54 am

Isaiah Cortez wrote::] yey new part!

*doubts you'll say that after the next one* XD
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Aranea percutit Draconem - Chapter 17

Postby SFI » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:31 pm

“We’ll move through the Sullisin’rune lands and then hug the cavern-wall as closely as we can.” Ariel led the way, her wolf moving at a steady canter. “You’ll stay behind when we return. A first show of returned support from the Sarghress to the Vlozress, since we cannot spare people as easily as they do.”
“Yes.” Waes’soloth nodded, arms slung around the other’s form. Her mind was only half on what the young Heiress was telling her, most of her attention on the surrounding areas. “It will certainly be a change of scenery...” She trailed off, eyes narrowing.
“I hear something.” It was the rider of the other wolf that spoke up. “And Menoe is restless. Dragons are afoot.”
“Then we pick up the pace.” Ariel decided, urging her wolf ahead.
They reached the cavern-wall without incident, but the arrow was swift and true. Their sealer cried out briefly, arrow lodged in her eye.
Ariel cursed briefly, but did not stop as the other female fell from the wolf. Waes’soloth cursed a whole lot more when the arrow meant for Ariel nearly hit her instead. She raised one of her arms, forming a shield over their heads.
“Watch out!” The warrior screamed. Ariel barely managed to bring her wolf to a stop before running into the dead-end looming in front of them. A dead-end formed by a living dragon’s body.
“Will you look at that, some wolves are on the prowl?” The female on its’ back sneered. “Do you not know that your destruction is the other way and here lies only dead?”
“Oh great, we ran into a boaster.” Ariel snarled, her wolf mimicking her actions. She pulled her sword from its’ scabbard. With no cover, running with the Sharen armed with a crossbow was foolish. “Waeder.”
“Of course.” She gracefully dismounted, mana building around her hands. She recognized her as being of Sarv’swati’s lineage.
The Sharen levelled her halberd with one hand, aiming for Ariel. “A sorceress will not help you, wolf. Your sealer is dead, her stones lost.” She lifted her other hand, revealing a swirling red mass. Demons, quite a few of them. Though thankfully she had no gate carved somewhere. With one fluid move she send them forward.
“Kill her!” Waes’soloth reacted swiftly. “I will deal with them.”
Between a centuries-old female having specialized on the arts and two comparably ‘young’sters that had not done so, the demons had an easy choice.
It was easy for her to draw them to her, centuries of training having left her aura a veritable buffet for demons. Not that she had ever intended it for that use, that is.
“For the first time in my life, I did not think something through and off course it involves demons...” They swarmed her, chipping away at the shield she had formed. “Wonderful...”
Meanwhile, Ariel and her other companion had their hands full with the dragon-rider. There was a bloody good reason she was walking around on her own in the middle of a war.
“Goddess-damned mother-killing Sharen.” The sole male cursed, swinging his war-hammer for the dragon while also staying out of its’ reach.
“Filthy mutt.” She countered, warding off Ariel with her Halberd while urging the dragon at him. “You are ruining Chel’el’sussoloth. Defiling it.”
“Says the one whose family is sending it down the Rift.” Ariel dodged the halberd, stabbing with her spear at the dragon’s eye.
“Less talking, more killing!” Waes’soloth screamed as the demons swarmed around her. “I do not have infinite mana here!”
“Busy with that!” Ariel called back, yanking at her wolf’s collar to evade the snapping jaws of the dragon.
“Oh... I don’t have time for this...” The elder woman snarled, looking at the demons surrounding her. “Or mana, for that matter.”
A direct attack would not work, what with the demons everywhere, but she could work around those. Literally, if need be. There was a loud snap as the band of her mask broke, her hair rising around her form. Immediately the demons attacked with new fervour, the increased mana driving them to a frenzy – as much as demons can get more frenzied, that is.
“Ariel, down!” The black tendrils wrapped around a nearby chunk of rubble, sending it flying straight for the dragon-rider. The Sarghress barely dodged on time, the draft of the passing piece of building whipping up her hair. It hit the dragon square in the face, crushing its’ skull.
“Finally.” The other Sarghress moved in for the kill, aiming his hammer at the trapped Sharen.
As they finished her off, Ariel made a quick glance to where the rock had come from. She gasped in horror.

Author's Rant: FYI, what happened here is all YOUR fault for voting "Quain captured, but alive". All Flames for what happened in this ambush are to be directed at yourselves, not me, just saying.
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Isaiah Cortez » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:35 pm

We know what we want. Shush!
Isaiah Cortez
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby SFI » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:38 pm

Isaiah Cortez wrote:We know what we want. Shush!

Considering I haven't spoilered this, you don't know what you want, actually... :P
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby TheJackinati275 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:21 am

i like it... Keep on Writing
TheJackinati275
Tainted

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby SFI » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:56 am

TheJackinati275 wrote:i like it... Keep on Writing

SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Re: Aranea percutit Draconem - Chapter 18

Postby SFI » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:29 am

Her entire body was numb, which seemed to become a habit for every time she changed locations lately. She groaned lightly, reaching blindly into the room to find something to hold onto.
“You’re awake.” The words were spoken in a whisper.
“I wish I were asleep though.” Waes’soloth dragged her eyes open, coming face to face with Ariel. Above them was stone, tinted orange and red by the light coming from the window. “We are with the Vloz’ress?”
“You fainted, but we got you on a wolf and here.” Ariel nodded. “I send my companion home to bring a report of our journey.”
The purple eyes were shimmering with worry. The young Sarghress carefully took her hand.
“And what else?” The elder Drowolath dragged herself up. “What of the Sharen?”
“Dead.” The younger female got up. “Both realized who you were. I demanded his silence. I think he will do so.”
“You evade my eyes.” The other looked at her. Centuries of politics made her observant in those things. “Why? Because one more knows of me? I am here now, even if Quain finds out, what will she do?”
“Other things...” Ariel sighed. “How do you feel?”
“Weakened.” She tried to get up, but her strength failed her. “What is it? I thought we had become something like friends? Why won’t you confide in me now?”
“Because we are friends.” Ariel sighed again, tensing before she walked to a table. It was a low stone-carved thing, cheaper than one would expect for a Val-clan. She took a mirror that was on it. “Look into this.”
“Why?” Waes’soloth took it hesitantly. Her stomach was turning itself into a knot at the thought why she should see.
“Please.” Ariel retreated a bit, her eyes filled with grief. “I’m sorry.”
The elder swallowed, slowly pulling the mirror into a position she could see her face.
It was not fearful anticipation that had twisted her stomach. It was a demon.
“I... I am tainted...?” Her voice broke.
“We managed to seal the gate and defeat the Sharen, but... your attack against the dragon... the demons got you after that. We couldn’t get you out soon enough. I am sorry... so sorry.” Ariel whispered, eyes looking at the ground.
A few times she tried to speak, but it took her a while until she could form words. “I knew the risk... I knew... when I decided to deal with the demons...” Her hand shook, many of her muscles twitching. “Please... I... leave me... Go back to your mother.”
“I can’t just go.” Ariel countered, reaching for her.
“You can.” Waes’soloth pushed her hand away, cold seeping into her voice. “Go, rise to greatness, young wolf. I will lead the Vloz’ress from the shadows to strike. I am good at manipulation, after all.”
“I...” Ariel hesitated, eyes searching for something in the other’s gaze. She found nothing. “If you are certain.” She turned to the door. “I am sorry.”
“Do not be.” Her steps were still unsteady with her weakness. “Burn the Sharen to the ground. Now go, before Sarv’swati learns of your journey here and uses it.”
“Yes.” Ariel did not look back as she hurried down the corridor. Waes’soloth turned back into the room, looking around it. It was small, bare save for the small table and a bed. The window was no higher than her lower arm. A servant’s room.
There was a bundle of clothes on the ground. It was tinted a dark orange, much like she remembered Kharla wearing.
“They gave me one of Kharla’s outfits?” She whispered, spreading it out on the bed. She sighed, rubbing her head.
When Kiel arrived a short time later, she felt like she was dealing with Naal’suul once more, only older. Red-eyed, the Beldrobbaen stood at the window waiting, her eyes seeing nothing as she studied the rift outside.
“I got you a new mask.” She said, stepping up beside the elder woman. “I took the inspiration from the one Naal wore at the Moon’s End Festival.”
“Thank you.” The words were hollow, but she put it on regardless. “Any news of my clan?”
“Heh, ya ask me?” Kiel snorted. “Well, there’s plenty of gossip going around Chel, as always. They say Odelia is trying to breed herself an heir. If ye believe everything that’s said, she’s sleeping around more than a Sul, they can’t decide who her partner’s supposed to be. Khal’s among them.”
“What else?” Only at the name of her son did she react, briefly looking at the orange-haired woman beside her.
“Nothing much.” Kiel shrugged, turning to lean against the wall. “Moving troops there, doing that, planning this, the normal stuff.”

Alternate Version and ending
Last edited by SFI on Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Isaiah Cortez » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:57 am

'Tis I did not expect.
Isaiah Cortez
Dragon of the Nether

Postby SFI » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:11 pm

Isaiah Cortez wrote:'Tis I did not expect.

I totally warned you....

Obsidian Agent wrote:Now that Waes truly has nothing left to lose, things are going to get REALLY interesting.

She still has her life? For now, that is...
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Mirefrost00 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:48 pm

Urgh, so in sparing Quainy-poo's life, we doomed Waes'? Not sure how feel....

Excellent story! Another reader hooked, here. :D
Mirefrost00
Nether Spawn

Clan: Sarghress

Postby SFI » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:52 pm

Mirefrost00 wrote:Urgh, so in sparing Quainy-poo's life, we doomed Waes'? Not sure how feel....

Excellent story! Another reader hooked, here. :D

Heh, at the very least to tainting :P But you can't be blamed for that, so no need to feel guilty.

*starts reeling in newest catch*
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Re: Aranea percutit Draconem - Chapter 19

Postby SFI » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:42 pm

“And how come we only notice that when she returns?” Odelia demanded with lethal calm. She was staring several Ill’hardro that had been sent to reinforce the low on numbers Beldrobbaen lines. These two had been stationed at sentries against the cavern-wall, supposed to monitor the movements in the Sarghress’ bottleneck towards their fortress. Their report had informed her a couple cycles ago that apparently Ariel Val’Sarghress had moved through it almost without them knowing. And from the direction they said she had gone, they had to have missed her the previous time. “Where were your eyes when she travelled towards the damn thing they call a fortress?”
“We do not know.” One of them shrugged, the feathers of his cloak moving as he did so. “We wouldn’t have seen her this time either had she not been forced closer to this front by Zala’ess’ latest push.”
“Well, one can see why your affinity is voice.” She waved them away, disdain in her face. Waes’soloth had never needed to get help in defending the borders of their district. She was a terrible Ill’haress.
She got up from the desk, moving towards the window that looked deeper into Chel’el’sussoloth’s cavern. If she leaned out of it, she could just see the lights of the battles between them and the Rift. She sighed, turning back into her office again. The room reflected her mood quite accurately. Well, the entire fortress did, for that matter.
The former Warmaster picked up the report to read it one more time. Quain’tana’s heir had passed through the bottleneck at high speed, both she and her mount carrying signs of confrontation. Then she looked for a different report, one she had gotten half a day earlier. Another wolf-rider from the same direction, also alone and with signs of confrontation.
“They must have been together.” She muttered, sitting down behind her desk once more. “It would make no sense for that Mercenary to send her heir out alone. But why did he return half a day before she did?”
Her eye trailed to a map on the far-away wall. Wait a moment... She rose again, marching across the room. Her eye was fixed on an area above the bottleneck that was causing her such grief at the moment.
She was a Beldrobbaen and therefore cursing was beneath her... at least out loud. Ariel had not gone to the Sarghress-fortress, she had gone to the Vloz’ress instead. That was the only explanation for a confrontation. She had used the connection of Sullisin’rune lands towards the Vloz’ress ‘district’ to get there.
“That could be bad.” She muttered, marching back to the window. The fighting between the Beldrobbaen-district and the Rift was still raging. “If she actually gets those Nether Summoners to move...”
It would be the Nidra’chaal War all over again. What use are Dragons and sealing-armor if a Nether Summoner can just make their seeds go haywire? A small shiver ran down her back as she imagined Kharla’ggen moving into battle. She had off course heard of the failed extermination attempts of the risen Nether Cult and exactly how it had come to them. “Sharess...”
She ought to warn the Sharen of her suspicions, but what good would those do them? Kharla’ggen was a fickle woman with the mind of a child. Would she actually do something like that, or was she starting to see threats where there were none?
She marched out of the room, heading for the elevator. “Someone send a flare to alert Zala’ess. Potential attack incoming.”

She took a deep breath, pushing open the door. “Kharla?”
“Shadow-abyss.” The red-haired woman looked up at her, absent-mindedly patting the doll she was holding.
Waes’soloth didn’t answer, walking up to the bed slowly. She sat down even slower, looking at the doll. “You still call me that?”
“You are dark.” Kharla nodded, her hand stopping with the stroking. “Sister said you are our new attendant?”
“Yes.” Waes’soloth tilted her head, studying the other. “If you don’t mind.”
“We liked cute black girl.” Kharla told her, pointing at a small doll of a taint-overtaken drow with claws. “She gave us that.”
“Cute... black girl?” The Beldrobbaen echoed.
“It’s what she calls Naal’suul.” Kiel appeared in the door, leaning against the doorway. “Sis, what about what the young wolf said?”
“Do it.” Kharla declared, her eyes flashing behind her mask.
“Heh, as ye wish.” Kiel disappeared again, her footsteps fading down the hallway.
“You’re doing it?” The elder woman had not expected that to happen this quickly, though it would be too much to say that she felt surprise.
In answer Kharla reached under the blanket, pulling another doll out of it. Waes’soloth could not tell if it was supposed to be Naal’suul or her, but got her answer when Kharla spoke again. “Sister made this for us when you fell. Told us we wanted revenge.”
Ariel had not needed to go to the Vloz’ress to urge them into battle... Kiel herself had already launched them against the Sharen-alliance. And Kharla, knowing even in her childlike mind that a line had been crossed, seemed all too willing to push the button. The Vloz’ress moved to war for the first time since their formation and rise to power.
Waes’soloth could not help but fear a shiver of fear run down her back even with her heavy taint dulling her senses. What had been unleashed?
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Mirefrost00 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:36 am

This oughta be interesting. Can't imagine the Kyorls will let this go unanswered, even after the truth is (maybe) revealed.

Hang in there, Waes!
Mirefrost00
Nether Spawn

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Isaiah Cortez » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:01 am

"We live in the age of war. Some say that it's time of peace. But they just close their eyes for the conflicts raging on around the world. It needs a soldiers mind to recognize this. People with this kind of mind and lust for peace to do something. It needs the soldiers to act, but not in the ways of violence. Soldiers remember the deaths of others. Even if not tested in combat they know that every single country is ready to sacrifice them on the altar of so called "peace" if needed to. Next war's victor will not be determined by who kills or destroys the most, but by those who manage to protect the frail society from destruction and death." -Unknown
Isaiah Cortez
Dragon of the Nether

Re: Aranea percutit Draconem - Chapter 20

Postby SFI » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:45 pm

“Spider Killers.” She read what was on the wall, looking at the dead dragon beneath the writing. “This was not the work of Sarghress.” She sank through her knees to check the wounds. “This looks like its’ seed went haywire.”
Nau’kheol looked around. “I do not see the rider, sister.” They were in a small alley in the south-parts of their mother’s held districts.
“I doubt we will find him.” Chrystel got to her feet again, looking at the writing again. “This is the work of Vloz’ress. No other clan would do such a thing with a seed.”
“I know they call Sarv’swati a liar about Waes’soloth, but why would Kiel do this?” He frowned, looking at the dragon with something akin to distaste.
“Perhaps it is a rogue faction...” His sister stated, looking to where one could just see the glow of the Rift over the buildings.
“Just like her to lose track of her people.” Shinea stood a short distance away. “Let me guess, you want to go confront her?”
“This was just a taste of what is to come.” Chrys muttered, refastening her veil. “She must call them to a halt. We cannot deal with her rogues and the Sarghress.” She walked over to her own dragon, who was restless at the scent coming from the corpse. “Nau, look if you can perhaps find the rider after all. After a Cycle, regardless if you found anything, report to Mother. I and Shinea will go to Kiel to deal with this.”
“Yes.” He nodded, resting his hand on his sword-hilt as his sisters mounted the dragon. “Good luck.”
Chrystel returned the nod, urging her dragon into movement down the main road the alley ended at. What Commoners had not fled merely looked at them from the doors of their homes, slinking back inside as soon as one of the Sharen looked at them.
“Why did I have to come?” The Protecter-twin demanded as she held on. “Nau would have gotten you farther with Kiel.”
“I don’t want to risk him if I am wrong. It feels off, somehow. If you understand what I mean.” Chrys muttered darkly. “I don’t want to risk you either, but...”
“You’d be risking me if I stayed behind and you got into trouble... again.” Shinea reached for her own sword as they made their way into the Vloz’ress ‘district’. “Zala’ess would truly kill me this time.”
They were silent as they reached the gate to the fortress. Some of the Vloz’ress mercenaries barred their way. It was the first time that had happened.
“Let us in.” Chrys demanded, her eyes narrowing as she looked at them. “I was always allowed to pass.”
“Not this time.” One of them said, face almost completely obscured by his helmet. “No Sharen is to enter the fortress without approval of the Boss.”
“Then get Kiel out here.” Shinea hissed, getting of the dragon while pulling her sword.
One of them went, returning some time later with several people in tow. Kiel and Kharla’ggen walked up front, followed by two of Kharla’s attendants and someone the Sharen had not seen before. All five were wearing their masks.
“Yeah?” Kiel stopped in front of the dragon, looking up at them. Kharla tilted her head a bit, looking briefly at the unknown woman beside her. They were wearing similar outfits, like the newcomer had gotten clothes from the Vloz’ress Ill’haress. “Why did ye come?”
“You got rogues on your hand again.” Chrys got off the dragon, wondering silently as to why Kharla had come along as well. “They attacked someone in one of Mother’s districts.”
“We ordered that.” Kharla cut off her sister’s reply. “We do not like Sharen.”
“What?” Chrys blinked uncomprehendingly. “Kiel?”
“Ya heard her.” The orange-haired youngster answered. “Can’t do anything against people that just obey.”
“But why?” The Sharen demanded. “They killed Waes’soloth, Kiel. Naal’s mother. Why are you backing the Sarghress by fighting us?”
“Cut the crap.” Kiel snarled. “Ye think ye can just give me shit and ‘cause I am Vloz’ress I’ll buy it? Waes is Naal’s mom, she’d never get fucked over by a bunch of Sargs. She can fucking slaughter people by sneezing too hard!”
“You believe those commoners?” Shinea demanded darkly, hand tightening around her sword.
“We once were.” Kharla’s eyes narrowed at the move, red irises glowing behind her mask. Almost immediately her powers reached out, freezing the Sharen-protector in place. “And the wolves are more true than dragons.”
“Ya heard her.” Kiel shrugged as she repeated herself. “As yer friend I tell ya, Chrys: cut yer losses, stop with the messing around and just bail. Yer clan is just digging itself deeper into a deep pile of Tiki-shit. This last dig though? It might just end with ye suffocatin’ on all the crap ye’re bringing into the world.”
“What are you talking about?” Zala’ess’ Overseer demanded. “Kiel, why would any Sharen attack a Beldrobbaen, Waes’soloth at that?”
“Very convenient that it got the Beldrobbaen back into the war conveniently just as you were losing it.” One of Kharla’s attendants countered. Nimiel stood a short distance behind the Ill’haress, her eyes burning with anger. It was only now that Chrystel realized that Kharla was surrounded by former Beldrobbaen as her caretakers. “Would you have gotten that had this not happened?”
“You are serious about this?” Chrys’ face turned disgusted. “Are you barking mad, Kiel?”
“No, yer aunt is.” Kiel pulled off her mask. “Leave, Chrys, go home to yer backstab-family. Did ye honestly forget they lied about what happened to their own mother? Why would they bother speaking the truth about Waes’soloth?”
“Kiel.” Her voice had turned pleading.
“Go.” Kharla snarled, stepping forward. Shinae's bones were starting to creak under the pressure of the Vloz'ress' High Sorcery. “We do not like your presence in our domain.”
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

PreviousNext

Return to Fanfics and Fanart