Have Drowtales inspired stories and art? Share it here!

Cameo Brainstorming

Re: Cameo Brainstorming

Postby partner555 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:15 am

Basileus_Ioannis wrote:
I see where Tsuris'lok is very popular, not the least for his spectacular exit during the retreat from the assassination. Self-sacrifice in such a badasstic way is always memorable, like that captain in the Colonies side story in chapter 42, or Naal-demon in chapter 47. On top of that, Tsuris'lok's "hobby" combined with Vicyl mourning his loss (and discovering his "hobby") added much depth to that character even after his loss. Vicyl himself ended up being a neat cameo, sticking with Kiel through the collapse of the Vloz fortress. His interactions with squadmate Cac'bolg made his character more likeable well after the attack on North Cliff, even though they had all been bloodthirsty scourges.

So my takeaway from this is that it isn't just the quirks or personality of the cameo itself, but the interrelations with other characters, that contribute to making a character memorable and likeable. Even Tsuris'lok with his "immortality" and epic death wouldn't have made him as memorable if not for the fact that others missed him after he was gone. His sacrifice and contribution to the success of Kiel's getaway was mechanically necessary for protagonist Kiel'ndia to survive to accomplish what she did in later chapters; but it was his relationship with his squaddies that helped us like him all the more. I will keep that in mind for my own character creation, thanks for a most valuable pointer, partner! :)

You're welcome.

By the way, anyone else who wants to comment on Ari'nara's updated info? I'd prefer getting this to Kern sooner rather than later and I would like to hear more opinions before I do.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Pitdragon » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:12 am

Seems good to me. If for some reason Kern mentions there's no way for her to have found out given the circumstances, then have those doubts grow from the current events (feelings of betrayal by fleeing Kyorl half-bloods and their friends, all the deaths of leaders, the Schism) and wondering ,"If Nuru was alive, would she be among the "corrupted" Dutan'vir? Tainted and no where else to go? Are they really any different then?" Though honestly I don't see it being an issue, there are ways to overhear from watching Sarghress spies "felt" out by their sneaky thoughts.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby partner555 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:58 am

Pitdragon wrote:Seems good to me. If for some reason Kern mentions there's no way for her to have found out given the circumstances, then have those doubts grow from the current events (feelings of betrayal by fleeing Kyorl half-bloods and their friends, all the deaths of leaders, the Schism) and wondering ,"If Nuru was alive, would she be among the "corrupted" Dutan'vir? Tainted and no where else to go? Are they really any different then?" Though honestly I don't see it being an issue, there are ways to overhear from watching Sarghress spies "felt" out by their sneaky thoughts.

I'll keep this in mind. Thanks Pitdragon.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Ra'tatosk » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:13 pm

Have done a revision of Raveena. No more Dutan'vir ancestry but pure blood Kyorl ssu. Still fought in the Nidraa' war and quit afterwards and went to the surface and the order of Serenity. Now back in Chel looking looking for the truth.

Raveena – Order of Serenity

Born 993 – 121 years old

• Name: Raveena
• Race: Drowussu
• Ancestry : True blood

• Profession: Servant – but her old profession was warden.
• Martial ability: Close combat with light sword.
• Mana affinity: Earth high art with foci.
• Build: Atheletic, slightly above normal height.

• Costume: Same clothes as the rest of the order of Serenity, white and brown. As a travelling cape she wears the same type as Sham’naal is doing on this page, dark green with brown trim. http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive/20 ... 15p025.jpg
• Wounds: Left ear cut halfway in, followed by a cut/slash from the ear over her left cheek to the chin (on the left side). Her wound is from the Nidraa’ war.
• Colors: turquoise eyes, cream colored hair, ssu colored skin.

• Personality traits: Proud being of true blood. Very levelheaded in fights – that’s how she survived the Nidraa’ war. Her years in the order of Serenity have mellowed her. Still proud and strong in will but no longer put it in the face of people. Don’t tell just do.
She still has her skills as warden and are a capable fighter.
• Favorite saying: “The truth is out there” and “Am I right, or am I right” The second part can be in a menacing tone looking down on the other.
• Favorite activity: Training the equivalent to Tai Chi style https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_chi. (Reading books on history and martial art.)
• Favorite expression: Calm and serene face.
• Quirk 1: Great fan of strawberries with whipped cream – gladly fight over it’s supremacy over chocolate. Getting in the fight with the war cry “The chocolate is a lie”.
• Quirk 2: Always keep the men in place – you never know what they conspire about – you give them a finger, they take the whole arm.

• Inspirational pictures:
Hair – http://thewowstyle.com/wp-content/uploa ... yles-5.jpg Color cream, shaved on the sides. The braid is just made up of three parts.
Training Tai Chi: http://cdn.gaijinpot.com/wp-content/upl ... i_pose.jpg,
http://www.google.se/imgres?imgurl=http ... LAodiCgJWA

• The answer to the question: The truth.
• Who is your character in one simple sentence? Proud and calm after finding her purpose in life.

Background

She fought bravely in the Nidraa’ war as a warden and survived, but felt everything meaningless after all the destruction and the death of many of her comrades and friends. At 87 years of age and in her prime she choose the Order of Serenity as her home order. The war had taken toll of her fighting spirit and she wanted peace and calm, which she thought that this order would give her. She was tired of the caves and what had happened there and wanted a change. Consequently she went to the surface and also changed her interest from war to the arts. She has been reading a lot the last years. Now she is back in fighting spirit, due to her reading and learning a lot of interesting things about her Light elf ancestry. She wants to know the truth about how they all ended up in this underworld, and trying to get back on the surface. Even if she now is a servant to the order, she still has her skills and is still very much capable in fighting as she were as warden.

But at the moment I suppose she is on her way to Chel or has just arrived there. There will be a lot of news to take in.
Ra'tatosk
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby partner555 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:52 am

Ra'tatosk wrote:Have done a revision of Raveena. No more Dutan'vir ancestry but pure blood Kyorl ssu. Still fought in the Nidraa' war and quit afterwards and went to the surface and the order of Serenity. Now back in Chel looking looking for the truth.

Raveena – Order of Serenity

Born 993 – 121 years old

• Name: Raveena
• Race: Drowussu
• Ancestry : True blood

• Profession: Servant – but her old profession was warden.
• Martial ability: Close combat with light sword.
• Mana affinity: Earth high art with foci.
• Build: Atheletic, slightly above normal height.

• Costume: Same clothes as the rest of the order of Serenity, white and brown. As a travelling cape she wears the same type as Sham’naal is doing on this page, dark green with brown trim. http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive/20 ... 15p025.jpg
• Wounds: Left ear cut halfway in, followed by a cut/slash from the ear over her left cheek to the chin (on the left side). Her wound is from the Nidraa’ war.
• Colors: turquoise eyes, cream colored hair, ssu colored skin.

• Personality traits: Proud being of true blood. Very levelheaded in fights – that’s how she survived the Nidraa’ war. Her years in the order of Serenity have mellowed her. Still proud and strong in will but no longer put it in the face of people. Don’t tell just do.
She still has her skills as warden and are a capable fighter.
• Favorite saying: “The truth is out there” and “Am I right, or am I right” The second part can be in a menacing tone looking down on the other.
• Favorite activity: Training the equivalent to Tai Chi style https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_chi. (Reading books on history and martial art.)
• Favorite expression: Calm and serene face.
• Quirk 1: Great fan of strawberries with whipped cream – gladly fight over it’s supremacy over chocolate. Getting in the fight with the war cry “The chocolate is a lie”.
• Quirk 2: Always keep the men in place – you never know what they conspire about – you give them a finger, they take the whole arm.

• Inspirational pictures:
Hair – http://thewowstyle.com/wp-content/uploa ... yles-5.jpg Color cream, shaved on the sides. The braid is just made up of three parts.
Training Tai Chi: http://cdn.gaijinpot.com/wp-content/upl ... i_pose.jpg,
http://www.google.se/imgres?imgurl=http ... LAodiCgJWA

• The answer to the question: The truth.
• Who is your character in one simple sentence? Proud and calm after finding her purpose in life.

Background

She fought bravely in the Nidraa’ war as a warden and survived, but felt everything meaningless after all the destruction and the death of many of her comrades and friends. At 87 years of age and in her prime she choose the Order of Serenity as her home order. The war had taken toll of her fighting spirit and she wanted peace and calm, which she thought that this order would give her. She was tired of the caves and what had happened there and wanted a change. Consequently she went to the surface and also changed her interest from war to the arts. She has been reading a lot the last years. Now she is back in fighting spirit, due to her reading and learning a lot of interesting things about her Light elf ancestry. She wants to know the truth about how they all ended up in this underworld, and trying to get back on the surface. Even if she now is a servant to the order, she still has her skills and is still very much capable in fighting as she were as warden.

But at the moment I suppose she is on her way to Chel or has just arrived there. There will be a lot of news to take in.

She and my Inquisitor would have plenty to fight over, considering my cameo is addicted to chocolate. Looks good, but why did you rewrite her?
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Ra'tatosk » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:35 pm

partner555 wrote:She and my Inquisitor would have plenty to fight over, considering my cameo is addicted to chocolate. Looks good, but why did you rewrite her?

Lets hope it will be just a friendly banter, as both seeks the truth. ^^;

Would it really be plausible for a ex-Dutan'vir mix blood to join the order of Serenity? Thats what I asked myself, and what with her light elf ancestry? It felt better with the revision, making her a true blood - and thereby no longer Dutan'vir. Her background was still in the Nidraa' war and her doubts afterward of the teachings of the Clan.

And I wanted her to be a former warden.
Ra'tatosk
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby partner555 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:22 pm

Ra'tatosk wrote:
partner555 wrote:She and my Inquisitor would have plenty to fight over, considering my cameo is addicted to chocolate. Looks good, but why did you rewrite her?

Lets hope it will be just a friendly banter, as both seeks the truth. ^^;

Would it really be plausible for a ex-Dutan'vir mix blood to join the order of Serenity? Thats what I asked myself, and what with her light elf ancestry? It felt better with the revision, making her a true blood - and thereby no longer Dutan'vir. Her background was still in the Nidraa' war and her doubts afterward of the teachings of the Clan.

Fair enough.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:17 am

partner555 wrote:
Ra'tatosk wrote:
partner555 wrote:Looks good, but why did you rewrite her?

Fair enough.

I agree, and Raveena looks like a really neat character overall. I went the opposite direction with Akumu, I stuck with Dutan'vir and decided to switch to House Mae'yukir because the Kyorl background as Duter defender was becoming messy...I didn't want her to be an ex-Crusader (war levy), and not sure how many Duters made it into the Holy Lances (besides Thral'lin), whereas Duters in the Sarghs being armored warriors is more defined in-story.
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: What do you mean "they cut the power"? They're just animals!

Postby Disestablish » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:06 pm

Just a brain fart I've been having. Might use her if I can ever get a Nidraa'chal/Snadhya agent spot on a later chapter. though the fact it's been clearly stated we're not going back to Felde, it's unlikely.
-Name: Vanin'nern
-Race: Drowussu/Ver'Drowender
-Build: Tall, slight and underfed
-Ancestry: Dutan'vir
-Clan: Nidraa'chal
-Profession: Nether Researcher
-Martial ability: Expert Nether Summoner, skilled in controlling gates, demons and nether summons. No physical ability worth noting, rarely more than a dagger on hervperson. No skills in other mana arts, even struggling with mana blasts
-Mana affinity: None, struggles with any excess use of mana arts outside of Nether Summoning

-Colors: Red eyes. Light blond hair tied into hair bun, with bangs untied, hair reaching down to just above her eyes. Slightly paler than usual skin color.
-Costume: Plain white lap coat, slightly worn, grey blouse beneath, red coloured fabric, shaped like nether trails

Costume Reference;

-Personality traits: Closed off and focus minded, little time no patience for interacting anyone unless required to due to her job. Single mjnded, her nearly sole interest being researching the nether, demons or the tainted. Awkward, in her rare attempts to social, shows trouble understanding social norms or how to properly communicate. Idiot savant, masterful at almost all things nether related, but has almost no skill in another other use of mama.
-Favorite saying: "And you're saying you feel no emotion at all? Fascinating." "Will it hurt? Don't be silly, nothing will ever hurt again."
-Quirks: Prone to long winded rants on various nether or demon related facts and results of her research, this being her main source of any interaction. Little to no ability to connect with abyone, outside of a near hero worship of Snadhya'rune for her vast intellect and allowing her the time and resources for her own studies Vel'akar fetish, she's completely obsessed with them, viewing them as an ultimate example of all things demon. Gets weird around them . REALLY WEIRD.

-Inspirational pictures:

She's basicly a drow with quite a few symptoms of autism ( Some I have myself). Way I figure it, Snadhya may be the for most of the field in all things demon, but she's also got a city to tyrant over and a world to plot the downfall of, so she's gotta have SOMEONE do research and study when she's busy murder her daughter. Something as dangerous as the nether is not something best left to someone only out for themselves though, it's much better to hand it off to someone single minded in the study and who is easy to control, without pesky blackmail, tbreat s or time consuming sexual favours. Hence taking on someone with no real ability to be loyal to a clan or concern for the fact Snadhya then destroyed said clan. She's also the sister of my current cameo, Vara'nin, but that won't be relevant to the story, since Vara'nin assumes her elder sister is dead and Vanin wouldn't care if Vara were dead or not.

Ignore the many typos, I typed this out on a smart phone and I loathe touch screens.
Disestablish
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby partner555 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:08 pm

Disestablish wrote:Just a brain fart I've been having. Might use her if I can ever get a Nidraa'chal/Snadhya agent spot on a later chapter. though the fact it's been clearly stated we're not going back to Felde, it's unlikely.
-Name: Vanin'nern
-Race: Drowussu/Ver'Drowender
-Build: Tall, slight and underfed
-Ancestry: Dutan'vir
-Clan: Nidraa'chal
-Profession: Nether Researcher
-Martial ability: Expert Nether Summoner, skilled in controlling gates, demons and nether summons. No physical ability worth noting, rarely more than a dagger on hervperson. No skills in other mana arts, even struggling with mana blasts
-Mana affinity: None, struggles with any excess use of mana arts outside of Nether Summoning

-Colors: Red eyes. Light blond hair tied into hair bun, with bangs untied, hair reaching down to just above her eyes. Slightly paler than usual skin color.
-Costume: Plain white lap coat, slightly worn, grey blouse beneath, red coloured fabric, shaped like nether trails

Costume Reference;

-Personality traits: Closed off and focus minded, little time no patience for interacting anyone unless required to due to her job. Single mjnded, her nearly sole interest being researching the nether, demons or the tainted. Awkward, in her rare attempts to social, shows trouble understanding social norms or how to properly communicate. Idiot savant, masterful at almost all things nether related, but has almost no skill in another other use of mama.
-Favorite saying: "And you're saying you feel no emotion at all? Fascinating." "Will it hurt? Don't be silly, nothing will ever hurt again."
-Quirks: Prone to long winded rants on various nether or demon related facts and results of her research, this being her main source of any interaction. Little to no ability to connect with abyone, outside of a near hero worship of Snadhya'rune for her vast intellect and allowing her the time and resources for her own studies Vel'akar fetish, she's completely obsessed with them, viewing them as an ultimate example of all things demon. Gets weird around them . REALLY WEIRD.

-Inspirational pictures:

She's basicly a drow with quite a few symptoms of autism ( Some I have myself). Way I figure it, Snadhya may be the for most of the field in all things demon, but she's also got a city to tyrant over and a world to plot the downfall of, so she's gotta have SOMEONE do research and study when she's busy murder her daughter. Something as dangerous as the nether is not something best left to someone only out for themselves though, it's much better to hand it off to someone single minded in the study and who is easy to control, without pesky blackmail, tbreat s or time consuming sexual favours. Hence taking on someone with no real ability to be loyal to a clan or concern for the fact Snadhya then destroyed said clan. She's also the sister of my current cameo, Vara'nin, but that won't be relevant to the story, since Vara'nin assumes her elder sister is dead and Vanin wouldn't care if Vara were dead or not.

Ignore the many typos, I typed this out on a smart phone and I loathe touch screens.

A Vel'Akar fetish? Wow.

The cameo looks fine to me. I can't see anything wrong with it. But don't count out cameo spots just yet for Nids.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Pitdragon » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:06 am

Vanin would get along swimmingly with Fia. Fia's prime studies in Chel once the clan was established was a focus on Nether, reason being all those nether cults that were starting to pop up just before their rise to power (going by the timeline), so the clan should have some knowledge to face potential issues from said groups. That's how she ended up the way she did.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby partner555 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:44 am

Pitdragon wrote:Vanin would get along swimmingly with Fia. Fia's prime studies in Chel once the clan was established was a focus on Nether, reason being all those nether cults that were starting to pop up just before their rise to power (going by the timeline), so the clan should have some knowledge to face potential issues from said groups. That's how she ended up the way she did.

You mean as a Vel'Akar working for Snad? You said she was a Vel'Akar right?
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Disestablish » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:28 pm

partner555 wrote:
Pitdragon wrote:Vanin would get along swimmingly with Fia. Fia's prime studies in Chel once the clan was established was a focus on Nether, reason being all those nether cults that were starting to pop up just before their rise to power (going by the timeline), so the clan should have some knowledge to face potential issues from said groups. That's how she ended up the way she did.

Snadhya'rune does not let Van in near Vel'akar anymore... Not since the incident...s
Disestablish
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Pitdragon » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:31 am

partner555 wrote:

Yeah. Though she met Snadhya likely before the incident. Her interest in nether arts would likely have led her to Orthorbbae. And Fia's sister is a bean counter for the clan, so perhaps even Snadhya's investment in Kalki may have had Fia cross Snadhya's path if her sister was involved in the payment plan.

Disestablish wrote:Snadhya'rune does not let Van in near Vel'akar anymore... Not since the incident...s

Dahling, I'm sure she'll be no issue for little ol' Fia'nova. Fia's got a bite to go with that bark, after all... and really big claws which are more than a fashion statement. And Stiletto heels are named after a knife in our world, after all...

And Van's skin tone is so... exquisite!
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:12 am

Vanin'nern looks like a formidable nether researcher! She would have had a field day in chapter 47...maybe we can entice Big Red to come out again, just for her benefit! "Interview with a Demon God" *heehee*

I must be part Jaal, because I'd be interested in talking with Vanin about just how nether seeds attach to an aura...especially after reading about Laele and how Sillice ripped the demon out along with "most" of her aura. The fact that the procedure left a fragment of aura behind is just fascinating, and must be a key to unraveling how tainting can eventually be undone. Now, if Quain will allow the Jaals to examine Laele a bit... *shot* :U

Er, what's that about not going back to Felde? o_O What am I gonna do with all these Dvergar tech cannons loaded with 152mm alloy plated steel? *oops*
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: What do you mean "they cut the power"? They're just animals!

PreviousNext

Return to Fanfics and Fanart