Have Drowtales inspired stories and art? Share it here!

Pitdragon's random bits: Flowers and Rags

Pitdragon's random bits: Flowers and Rags

Postby Pitdragon » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:45 pm

(Title refers to newest art)
Hey! Gonna try to make one of those singular long threads like others have to put art in. So I really just have two things. One is a character I might do some fic about: a Jaal'darya "doctor" of sorts who specializes in biogolem upgrades for those who have deficiencies or have been severely injured. I'd like to make some stories where she encounters minor characters, whether in passing in a story that takes place involving that character's clan/house, or them as a patient. By minor I'd say no one who's going to the surface or under scrutiny in any major plot. Perhaps a character who has had a body part replaced but it is outside the scope of the story to discuss, so I'll make a fictional "this is who did that for them". I haven't decided exactly what I'll do, but thoughts are brewing in my head. Even with the Kyorl'solenurn being "hostile" to the Jaal'darya, I can't help but look at poor Kami'seide and think someone's gotta help her... but meh, that's a long shot given the Kyorl's opinion of the Jaal's over their biogolems. Perhaps as a consultant contacted by one of Shimi'lande's temperate-minded ilk? Hmmm, meh, I dunno.

Gia'trosa Jaal'darya of some unspecified house. She specializes in golem attachments, but she is one of those life sorceresses. Most of my stories she will focus on her golem making talents though, since there's still a lot to learn about life sorcery from the DT universe and honestly, if she's telling 1st person stories she's probably not going to give away a lot of secrets.

Gia'trosa's mother originates from a settlement or city outside Chel'el'sussoloth, but she and young Gia joined with the cult that would later become the Jaal'darya. Gia's father is/was a Dutan'vir, but she knows little about him (her mother did not speak of him, he was just a male after all!), and she believes his added bloodline is probably what makes her a skilled golem maker. Haven't decided if he was a Half-Drowussu or a full one, so still thinking on the skin-color of Gia and just how much that blood line affects her. Half seems more reasonable, I suppose.

Anywho, I may ponder it some more on what she will do. I do have four golem's planned out as her "guard/entourage", I suspect they will be all stone but I have been toying with some variety (like stone, metal, gem, and clay). In honor of the origins of golems, they'll be named El'him, El'yon, E'met, and Eh'yeh. :P I've only vaguely designed E'met, and yes, their names will be written on their heads. I haven't decided if they'll be rough versions of pre-biogolems that she created over time and never wanted to part with, but they'll be more "functional" and bulky instead of the cute biogolems the clan uses now. They'll also function as a mount by linking their arms together as to make a seat for her to sit on. Handy things, golems.

The 'regular' outfit (resembling a peplos) will be off-white with possible gold or bronze trimmings, with jewelry and clips being copper and bronze in color, and a dash of red here and there. The gossamer for the neck piece is white. Her hair is a vibrant brown and eyes may be the color of brandy, though violet or green I've also considered. For her coverings, the main "coat" with hood is a medium brown with the himation being more of a copper appearance, so shiny light-brown silk. The headband with the Heracles knot will be red with gold for the knot, and the gossamer veil will be a light violet. Buskin-style footwear. Might add some moon designs on her coat or himation, if I make another picture and color it.

That's a Jaal'darya golem hair extension on her head. She has a bun it holds onto, and acts as fashion and as a whip if needed. Made of her own hair, of course. My inking is messy though, and her arms are a bit long. *upset*

A future to-be-inked work is this!

A Davya reunion! I am currently using a light box to re-pencil them all cleanly, will work on poor Ariel's eyes. Then I'll ink via a different method than Gia - hopefully cleaner! I'll get it up when it's done being inked. All the Davya students are probably older by 20yrs or maybe a bit more.

Coloring? Maybe. Gotta find the pen to my tablet. :L
Last edited by Pitdragon on Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 80 times in total.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Jaal'darya

Re: Pitdragon's random bits: fan character and to be inked

Postby Pitdragon » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:58 pm

Grah, ok, couldn't resist:

Ash'waren and some bad flat-faced cat doodle I did thinking on the Podcast about the Sullisin'rune:

And a poor design for E'met. His name is on his forehead, and the word "Rock" just kinda randomly on his neck. I dunno... I think I wrote it wrong anyway. Ah well, I'll say it's fantasy writing!! (need to make the name more stylized anyway)

Both are meh/scrap materials, but eh.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby The Mad Dragon » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:49 am

Really cool, I'd love to see more..
The Mad Dragon
Summoner

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Pitdragon » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:12 am

The Mad Dragon wrote:Really cool, I'd love to see more..

I plan on more doodles, but sheesh, gotta find that stylus. I've been wanting to work on my digital coloring as well.

Results with a mouse (and some fancy Gaussian Blurring in spots and reducing size to hide the cruddiness of mouse drawing):

:/ Though the Gaussian on the himation came out nice. Just more gold than I intended. Skin is a bit lighter than I'd like too, luckily veils hide that.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Re: Pitdragon's random bits: Davya Reunion inked!

Postby Pitdragon » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:39 pm

There might be a little pencil left in there. Also, while I fixed Ariel's eyes some, her mouth kinda got worse. :/ Oh well. That's as much as I'll probably do!

If you're having trouble seeing the whole thing, click on it to go to the DA page it's on.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby suntiger745 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:16 am

Looks really good, Pitdragon. I like how Ariel and Sorane'sanil came out especially. :)

Also, your Jaal'darya lady looks awesome. ^_^
suntiger745
Kern's minion

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Morika » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:55 am

For some reason, I bet that Mir'kiin is calling Ariel, Gaelin and Sorane "GIRLY FREAKS!" from the afterlife. Maybe Dra'jyal too. He didn't seem that girly to me, but Mir'kiin probably would have discriminated on the long-ish hair and braids. :3
Morika
Summoner

Location: Ther'avare, or Louisiana. Depends on present sanity.
Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Celice » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:59 am

Oh! Such lovely sketches ^-^ The reunion picture looks very nice! I adore that little snuggly ghost ^^ *snuggles*
Keep up with the good work!
Celice
Vel'akar

Postby Thalar » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:44 am

Another Jaal'darya! <3
She looks lovely :)

Great work all around, Pitdragon :)
Thalar
Melon Berserker

Postby Pitdragon » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:40 pm

suntiger745 wrote:Looks really good, Pitdragon. I like how Ariel and Sorane'sanil came out especially. :)

Also, your Jaal'darya lady looks awesome. ^_^

Yeah, I kinda like Sorane's face a lot. I figured he'd be sorta... I dunno the word. Amused? Apt to pose? Ariel's mouth kinda bugs me, but I was happy with how her eyes turned out.

Thanks about Gia too! I wanted to go for a more Grecian theme with clothing... I dunno why, especially with the Judaic theme with the Golems.

Morika wrote:For some reason, I bet that Mir'kiin is calling Ariel, Gaelin and Sorane "GIRLY FREAKS!" from the afterlife. Maybe Dra'jyal too. He didn't seem that girly to me, but Mir'kiin probably would have discriminated on the long-ish hair and braids. :3

He's just immensely proud of his short dreadlocks! Mir'kiin would probably obsess over that even in death XD.

Celice wrote:Oh! Such lovely sketches ^-^ The reunion picture looks very nice! I adore that little snuggly ghost ^^ *snuggles*

Poor guy needs some snuggles :(.

Thalar wrote:Another Jaal'darya! <3
She looks lovely :)

Yeah, figured we need more of this elusive clan around here! When the Nar'sarkoth came out finally everyone was all over them, but poor Jaal'darya must get the shaft from lack of lime-light and their man-hating ways. :(

Now, for something new....

Inspired by Kite's comment about Mir'kiin, I wondered to myself... "What would Mir'kiin be like if he survived to grow up?"

Well, maybe a little like this. *ooo*

Now, it's a kinda roughish sketch, no inking. And it doesn't answer the question of "What would he look like if he never fought with Ariel and grew up". It's more of a "What if his body was delivered as a message to the Vloz'ress (or a gloating, both very un-Quain-like, but bear with me), and he just happened to be barely alive and wasn't cannibalized but fixed up? And managed to grow up?"

The scars for Ariel's work are kinda meh, but honestly looking for blunt force trauma scars on the web doesn't give much. So I figured it would be a mix of raised tissue on the edges (and maybe around where spikes entered), with depressed, thin, stretched dark skin inside (with some deeper pits for some spike punctures). It turned out awful, but meh. You can see the outline of his ribs and sternum in the center there though. The jewel is left over from his "life support", or may even be powering golem parts internally by working as a mana gathering point before distribution. Who knows? It was just something that seemed right to add into, it really has no (cannon) explanation. His lips are also mangled too.

Kinda working on my hands too, and not having such long arms. I don't think I've fixed that much though. Also, tattoos are lightly colored in, while scars are just sorta there. More details (and some of these repeated) under the picture.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Racnarath » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:11 am

Pitdragon wrote:Kinda working on my hands too, and not having such long arms. I don't think I've fixed that much though.

Everyone hates hands, it's practically universial. A suggestion on the arms though:

The tips of the fingers should hit around mid-thigh when standing with the arms by the side. Looking at her that seems correct. However, the thighs seem to be too long (compared with calves) which would lead to the arms being too long. If you have a tendency to draw from the head down this is a common problem (personal experience)
Racnarath
Tainted

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Re: Pitdragon's random bits: Davya Reunion/Mir'kiin "What If..."

Postby Pitdragon » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:20 am

Racnarath wrote:
Pitdragon wrote:Kinda working on my hands too, and not having such long arms. I don't think I've fixed that much though.

Everyone hates hands, it's practically universial. A suggestion on the arms though:

The tips of the fingers should hit around mid-thigh when standing with the arms by the side. Looking at her that seems correct. However, the thighs seem to be too long (compared with calves) which would lead to the arms being too long. If you have a tendency to draw from the head down this is a common problem (personal experience)

Yeah, this mostly stems from my hate of how a lot of anime females are drawn with super-long lower legs I think. In my mind, the femur is longer than the lower leg. I guess I over-compensate the thigh too much. I tend to go a rough wire-frame from head down, so yeah :/. Might need to look up my body part ratios again. *sweatdrop*

P.S. - Found my stylus! It was in my office trash?! Doh, I let my father use my computer when my parents came to visit, I suppose he tried to write something down he saw online, picked up my stylus, and thought he got a dead pen. >.< Might buy the nib replacements and put it in that neat little case that comes with to avoid future confusion...
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Re: Pitdragon's random bits: I present you the head...

Postby Pitdragon » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:29 pm

Just for a bit of dismemberment fun:

Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Vick330 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:14 pm

They all look great, love the Davya class reunion and ghost Mir'kiin :)
Vick330
Demon

Location: Somewhere between the realms of reality and fantasy
Clan: Valley'gurl

Postby Madman_Andre » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:26 am

Pitdragon wrote:Just for a bit of dismemberment fun:

Oh Christ, I split a side... Image

Best thing I've seen all month.
Madman_Andre
Summoner

Next

Return to Fanfics and Fanart