Have Drowtales inspired stories and art? Share it here!

Adder in the grass: chapter 1 - Encounter.

Postby Ultharos » Sat Sep 21, 2002 7:03 am

Disclaimer: All characters and the world of Ourdan = mine, mine, mine touch any of it without permission and I will be more than happy to sick my parrot at you, she has a fondness for human fingers.

Author’s note: All right here is the continuation of ‘Adder in the grass’, which is a sequel to ‘I love winter’.  Further more I want to thank Kizzip38 for being my beta reader for this entire series. Thanks Kizzip!
Extra Note: An ‘Inue’ is part of the Drow’s currency system. –Though only in the Ssussun Empire. -
One ‘Inue’ is roughly the equal of two copper pieces.

Feedback: both my muse PLNDpuppylich and myself ALWAYS appreciate Feedback. Flames will be fed to my parrot alongside the flamer’s fingers and toes together with a nice red wine. Praise will raise my ego; constructive criticism will be highly appreciated.

Chapter 1: Encounter.

It had been over a day since Yern’lan had left the small town of Noort where the Elf had killed his friend, and had tried to kill him. In another six hours he should arrive in the town of Greeg and he could hire a room there for some hard needed rest, and maybe if he was lucky he could persuade a barmaid to keep him company during the night– If someone would break into his room, her screams might wake him up before they could kill him – and then buy a bit of food for on the way and he could resume his five day journey to Harnen. The first part of the day he had encountered a lot of people, which was both a blessing and a curse considering it was too busy to attack him in open sight, on the other hand if the Elf had accomplices among those people there might be a good chance they would link a Drow in a hurry to their dead Elf.
Still looking up at the sky that was painted orange by the setting sun, Yern’lan was at least happy the blasted rain had stopped, he was certain that he would have gotten pneumonia if the rain had continued a little longer. Looking back at the road, Yern’lan started thinking about his future, he had been a member of the Red Leaf guild for over twenty-three years, ever since they arranged a deal with the nobleman that had send soldiers after him because he had cut up the nobleman’s daughter… Yern’lan didn’t know what the guild did, but the man called back his soldiers, ofcourse he DID place a bounty of a thousand Inue on his head, making it impossible for Yern’lan to ever safely return to his homeland.  
Ofcourse the guild in return demanded that he became a member, not that he really minded, a forced life among unwashed savages from the north is much better than being a pale dead corpse buried in the hot sands of his homeland.
Still until now he had always performed only the best work he could offer, yesterday however he was overconfident and took time to enjoy a meal when he had been sent to protect his friend, sure he saved the documents and uncovered a potential plot, but the fact remains his friend AND superior was dead because he was enjoying a warm meal in the very inn where his friend was tortured to dead as he ate.
Rubbing his fingers over one of his earrings, Yern’lan realized that if the guild asked of him how he could allow his friend to have died, he knew he would have to tell the truth, which would result in painful consequences if he was lucky, dead if he wasn’t lucky.
Pushing those thoughts away Yern’lan focused his eyes on the road and surrounding forest. As a city born and bred man Yern’lan had spent almost his entire two-hundred and forty years in only four different cities and he had little experience in either traveling or the wild, as such, when the forest around him fell silent Yern’lan took no heed of it and continued riding onward.

It was unusually quiet in this part of the forest as not a bird made a sound, but Lanell Neva’Don didn’t notice, the Deer that stood up-wind of her in the middle of the clearing drinking the fresh and cool water that gently flowed through the small river had taken up all her concentration. In those few minutes there was only she and the Deer. The Deer looked up for a moment and smelled the air for any predators; not smelling any it happily went back to drinking the water. With a calm and relaxed movement Lanell pulled her bow, took aim and let her fingers fall from the cord. The arrow flew past the bushes and hit the Deer, which was knocked on its side. Lanell cursed at herself as she saw the Deer struggling to get up, she couldn’t stand it to see an animal in pain.
Quickly grabbing another arrow she placed it on the bow and fired it at the Deer putting it out of its death struggle.
Walking past the bushes she had been hiding behind she entered the clearing and twisted the cap back on her quiver.
The light from the setting sun glittered in her red eyes and illuminated her obsidian skin; this together with her silvery hair and her small pointed ears marked her as one of the Fifth race, as a Drow.
Born in on of the many underground city states as a member of a noble family she was destined to rule her house, ofcourse her extensive alcohol and drug abuse combined with a plot against her house made certain that never happened.  
Lanell was a young Drow woman who left her adolescent years only six years ago. Now at age 55 she had spent the last ten years on the surface in the lands of the Humans. She was dressed in simple clothes. Her soft supple boots had a small fur rim on it to keep the ants out whenever she passed to close to their colonies. Her long brown leather pants had several pockets on it. And her vest was fastened with laces. Attached to her belt were her simple short sword and her hunting knife as well as various pouches and a cord of rope. Her soft leather gloves had recently been bought, and she paid extra to adjust the left glove because of her missing ring finger.
The hood of her cape had been pulled back revealing her short silvery hair. Hanging from her right shoulder was her quiver. She strapped her short composite bow on her back when she came to a stop before the Deer.

Crouching down by the Deer, she first checked if the Deer truly was dead, she had seen to many times that an animal was still alive even when it looked dead at first, and she really hated to see an animal suffer. She remembered when she first had shot an animal and it was struggling she had told Zhan that she thought it was using some form of mind control to make her feel pity for it, Zhan merely laughed at her and told her it was a natural response, as for the first time she actually saw what she had killed in order to feed herself… ofcourse this statement was retaliated, but even now after so many years the sight of an animal in pain made her uneasy.
Removing a piece of cloth and laying it on the ground she began to cut the Deer up, removing the best parts of the Deer and putting them on the cloth. Once she was satisfied she got as much meat as she could carry she grabbed the corners of the cloth and brought them to getter, putting a knot in it she stood up leaving the Deer’s carcass for the animals. She bend down and grabbed the bag with meat and began to walk back to the camp she and Zhan had set up.
Humming softly it was only now that she realized the woods were to quiet, and had in fact been so for nearly the past ten minutes. Just as she thought this a small barrage of sounds echoed through the woods, she could hear the whine of a Horse and the shouting of several men. She looked longingly in the direction of their campsite and the thought of a hot meal for a moment before attaching the bag of meat to her belt and running towards the sounds.

As Lanell was running towards the origin of the sounds it had become clear that a fight was taking place. The disturbingly human sounding whine of a dieing horse, the shouting of men, clanging of steel and the scream of a man dieing had all made it clear that if she didn’t arrive soon she might end up seeing only bodies.
Running through several bushes and dodging the low branches of tree’s she left the tree line and looked down the small slope to the road and the fight taking place. She saw the dead horse laying on the ground, close to it a young boy lay with his throat slit, and another young man lay close to him with a vicious stab wound in his stomach. Seven men were still fighting, or better-put six men were attacking one lone Drow male. Taking a quick overview Lanell came to the conclusion the men had ambushed the Drow by hiding behind shrubs and the tree’s. One of the human men kept shouting out obscenities and curses, while another was telling at them how they should already have killed the Drow.
Taking her bow from her back and removing the cap from her quiver, she drew out an arrow and placed it on her bow. Taking aim at the apparent leader of the men she released the arrow and it hit him in the chest propelling him slightly in the air and he landed on the road with a heavy smack. The fighters had until now not noticed that Lanell had been watching them, however when the robbers leader was shot down they all looked at his body in surprise before trying to pinpoint the new attacker. Lanell cursed at herself as she realized she stood out in the open and quickly drew another arrow as three of the humans rushed at her, releasing the arrow she hit one of them in the head sending him flying to the ground. Throwing her bow in the bushes she drew her short sword and took up a defensive stance to parry the first attack. The male Drow in turn had used the distraction she provided by gutting one of his opponents, and sending his only remaining opponent on the defensive. Lanell how ever was having a much harder time now that she had to hold of two opponents at the same time. As she held of their attacks she noticed that the two of them weren’t used to fighting together and were hindering each other’s attacks. When the opponent on her left went for another strike she quickly sidestepped and sliced her sword though the belly of her opponent on the right. Her remaining attacker made the mistake of staring at his fallen friend for to long and Lanell quickly stepped forward stabbing her sword through his heart. Pulling her sword out she looked at the Drow male and saw that he had already killed his opponent. Blood was spilled over his hands and sword and a large gash was made in his overcoat and he bled from the wound under it.

“Bel'la dos whol dosst xxizz jalil.â€
Behold the eternal glory of the Fountain Dragon and let his radiance blind you into submission, oh ye of little faith.
~From the book of the FD.
Chapter 1: Deitification of the FD.
Ultharos
Vel'akar

Postby Kern » Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:18 pm

[quote]“What happened?â€
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Kizzip38 » Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:39 am

you put it up! ^_^;;
Kizzip38
Summoner

Location: Around... As I was told you can never be lost, just temporarily disoriented

Postby Ultharos » Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:59 pm

also recommand to make the battle harder, i mean...2 against 6? 8?. shouldn't it be harder? Unless they very stupid they should have something to protect themself or some kind of strategy.

Yes I know, I 'could' have made the battle harder, but making every fight of 'epic' proportions would sort of take the fun out  of it, besides these were normal people who just barely knew how to use their swords.

COO!!! Lanell piccie!!!!!!!!!!!! (Does dance of joy)
Oh my oh my! The bow, the clothes! the hair!

She really looks like I imagined her!
And I love the facial expression! That confident little smirk and the way she looks out of the corner of her eyes! And the ears I love the ears!!
COO!!!

Thanks you!

*Takes severall deep breaths to calm himself down.*
Behold the eternal glory of the Fountain Dragon and let his radiance blind you into submission, oh ye of little faith.
~From the book of the FD.
Chapter 1: Deitification of the FD.
Ultharos
Vel'akar

Postby Kizzip38 » Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:15 am

Dont overwork yourself... you still have more chapters to write!
jump... and fall...

end the torture and leave
Kizzip38
Summoner

Location: Around... As I was told you can never be lost, just temporarily disoriented

Postby Tammy-chan » Fri Sep 27, 2002 11:34 am

Sorry I'm so slow reading your stories Ultharos. I will get to reading 'm all eventually. I'm so behind with everything.  :(

It's amazing how fast you write. Well keep it up. And I'll be back to comment here once I finished reading everything. *write*
~~Tammy-chan... Where the world is one big cute place.
Tammy-chan
Summoner

Return to Fanfics and Fanart