Have Drowtales inspired stories and art? Share it here!

Quick & simple: web 3

Postby Scilence » Sun Sep 15, 2002 6:26 am

QUICK AND SIMPLE: WEB
Chapter 3: Who asked?

By Robert Larsen

As I walked up the steps, the hate was still with me. It put me in a really foul mood. But I hid it with a mask, as I do with any other emotion I had. After all, I don't need to dump my feelings and pain on Edge.

I open the door, and Edge is sitting before the short table, sharpening a knife. She has her strawberry blond hair in a bun, and she was dressed in her usual black shirt and pants with sandals. Her blue eyes looks up to see me and go back to the dagger and file in her hands.

I never really given much thought about slaves. Basically, if you have someone do the work for you, you become lazy. That's how I see it. Yet, in my own apartment, I have a slave. For someone who claims to not be a hypocrite, I sure do seem to go against my own advice.

Why did I buy her, I often ask. Truth is, I felt pretty damned sorry for the fairy elf. Her master was beating her, calling her worthless, saying she wasn't even worth 10 Ada. So I slapped 20 Ada in his hand, and said sold. In retrospect, I bet he regretted taking a swing at me.

So now Edge is my slave. I don't know her real name. I told her to live as I do. And she does so, without bothering me. Reason I call her Edge, is she always seems to take about five hours a day sharpening my edged tools. I never complain. Before then I only took three hours out of my free days to sharpen them. And it gives her something to do, so no one thinks she's not a slave.

For the most part, she keeps to herself. She worships her own goddess. And sometimes we talk. Course I don't feel like it now.

I close the door and walk to my room. Once my room's door is locked, I go to a secret hiding spot and pull out one of my books that I shouldn't have. They're holy bibles and worship tomes of Amaigul. Normally, bibles are sort of okay for males to have, so long as the head of the house allows it. But tomes of worship...

They're the blue prints of rituals. They are the written prayers known only to Priestess. They are the tomes that have the faith spells of the religion. Males within most of the religions are forbidden to so much as glance at these. Should a female catch me, I would never be allowed to live. Even if I once had the ability to use such powers...

Of course, being able to use such powers is impossible for a male... since as a rule most goddesses never allow men to weald their power. I never understood it until I got thrown out. This is one of the main reasons males are below females in this society. The powers of a goddess are powerful. I had a taste of it. I know what it's like to say the words, and have Amaigul grant me the power to do the needed task.

But it's often best to not be lost in what you lost within the past. I go about my normal prayers. Sacrifice often happens in normal prayers in a proper temple. But this is a far cry from a normal temple. And why do I need to sacrifice to my goddess when I honor her with my profession.

I try and push Elrasia out of my thoughts as I pray. Keep out what she did. She took so much from me... And she struck out against Amaigul's chosen, and she got away with it. It just angered me that she got away with it. She had no right to do what she did. And the bitch had to pay.

Suddenly I feel it. My eyes widen in shock as it comes about me. And then, for the first time in my entire stupid day, I smile.

I started packing up tools for the night ahead of me. They weren't what I normally take on a job. Elrasia was someone who deserved a special death. I needed specialized tools.

I could feel her eyes on my back. I knew what was coming, and I really wanted to get going at that moment. But I knew I had one question to answer.

Edge asked me where I was going. It wasn't the question I expected yet, but it would come. So I told her that I was going to go kill my sister. Edge knew my past. She knew who I once was. And that included what I used to be. She opened her lips and asked me one thing.

Will you feel better, after you kill your sister.

Damn... That really wasn't what I expected. It was also a really stupid question. Of course I would feel better. Elrasia deserved what I was going to do to her. It was a long time in coming. And I'd savor the moment. I smiled as I told Edge so. I could just taste how sweet the payoff would be, at the end of this night, and I wasn't thinking of what Mel'arnach would pay me.

She looked me in the eye and asked, what would it change. She pointed out this moment of elation would be fleeting, and then said I'd be hollow after.

I looked her back in the eyes and just asked one thing. What would a stupid elf know of such matters?
Stories never end, the just begin anew. Still hurts when you die though.
Scilence
Demon

Postby Poet » Sun Sep 15, 2002 8:22 am

Wow.
That's just...
Wow.
I'm amazed at the skill that people at drowtales demonstrate in writing. It blows my mind. I mean, I write, too, and I have a couple of published poems and a short story, but still, I wish I was half as creative as some of you.
Wow.
Poet
Demon

Postby Ultharos » Sun Sep 15, 2002 8:26 am

COO!!!

Very good! The little hypocrite, keeping a slave.  ;)

So our 'Darkang' has a death wish? keeping tomes tssk tskk.

Still one wonders WHAT he felt at the end hmm?

LOL. Great story.

Though I did not this time that their were situations where the past tense became present tense, as well as a few grammar mistakes. But nothing that actually bothered me while I was reading your story.
Behold the eternal glory of the Fountain Dragon and let his radiance blind you into submission, oh ye of little faith.
~From the book of the FD.
Chapter 1: Deitification of the FD.
Ultharos
Vel'akar

Postby Kern » Mon Sep 16, 2002 2:55 pm

Like said on Icq, your way of writting this story confuse me  ???
and Edge can be kind of creepy...sharpening knifes all day. I would be scared to be stabbed someday XD
*offer her a candy to appease her*
Since i cannot read the story properly, i beleive i cannot critizism it correctly
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Scilence » Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:12 pm

okay, right now I just want to apologize to anyone who is lost when they read Quick and Simple. It's all been a new style for me and I'm still feeling it out.

If it helps, I've been planing, since the begining of Web, to put the charaters actuly speaking in the next instalment.

By instalment, I don't mean the next chapter.
Scilence
Demon

Postby Scilence » Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:55 am

I felt something was missing from what I posted, so I added a bit more, for Edge.
Scilence
Demon

Postby Kern » Wed Sep 18, 2002 4:01 am

Stupid elf answer: What would a male understand?
:p Go rebel yourself edge XD
just teasing  :p  *smirk*
My current opinion of the white elf is baised becuase i'm watching lord of the ring :p

Though i beleive the new part add something to darkfang, not edge
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Return to Fanfics and Fanart