For general community discussion.

Which cameo characters do you like and why?

Re: Which cameo characters do you like and why?

Postby Pitdragon » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:55 am

Catriana wrote:Hmmm, while I personally like my cameo characters (I did create them after all), I tried to tailor them so they wouldn't stand out all that much in the comic.

I've kinda done the same, even though Fia is a bit of an odd one she hasn't been too distracting which is good. I don't want mine to overshadow the roll an interesting, random character that Kern would have to come up with would have. It's nice to have individual traits to make them... well, individuals, but I don't go for too much of something that will instead draw attention to them randomly when the story isn't about them.

Though having said that... yeah, I kinda hope to see Fia do some fun things soon. }:3

Hard to narrow them down, I've liked most cameos for various reasons and what they bring to the table. Petri'cho really exemplified a Kyorl caught in the crossfire of politics, wanting to do their duty but in the end being but a pawn to be used or abused as want (the other side of what Shan and Re'van were dealing with when it came to orders and duty). Heck, all of the Kyorls were well thought out and it was an enjoyable chapter for it. I really have to give kudos to those characters. Squads from some of the Sarghress chapters I felt were also a lot of fun, the variety of characters were still fitting to what you would find in the Sarghress at this stage of war and trying to mesh them as a team flowed naturally as to how they would have to try and mesh. And Kiel's group she took into the Beldrobbaen's territory for her mission were excellent as well - they did not seem too whacky and Kern made good use of their personalities and strengths.

Kinda surprised Ab'ireo's short appearance made some lists, heh. Though:

Check the status, sorry mang. Maybe someone will come around to wield her summon in battle, or mope about her. Maybe the latter in the future...
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Dalvyserran » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:57 am

For a character that only appeared a few times, i think Ab'ireo made a lot of progress in fulfilling her purpose. She had meaningful closure too.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby partner555 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:06 pm

Ah yes, the history nerds. *wee*

If we're going to include those who only appeared in commissions, then I have to say i found Gaul the templar quite memorable for being a former family man.

Also, I noticed nearly everyone have Tsuris'lok on their list. Congratulations Tsuris, you've really made an incredibly memorable character. :)
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Tsuris » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:24 pm

partner555 wrote:Speaking with less bias, I like Tsuris'lok. He was insane, but I found him likeable Ch39 onwards and his family life was incredible, especially his relationship with Velyndria. There was also his spectacular final moments where he became a Vel'Akar.

Catriana wrote:As for my favorite cameos in the comic itself, that'd probably go to Verthandi (I like sneaky, complex women), Min'issya (I also like sassy women), I'm obviously biased toward Lok since he had an actual connection to Vicyl and he went out like a boss. And finally, I think I really liked Synathra because he understands and appreciates the booty.

is-ness wrote:It's hard to pick favorites, but if I had to choose, I'd say Tsuris'lok, Riz'riia, Fia'nova, and Niphrendil. Tsuris'lok and Riz'riia were interesting to me from the moment they showed up and seemed incredibly well-thought out. That's not to say that other cameos weren't, it's just that these two seemed to go above and beyond and that makes them special--at least to me. As for Fia'nova, she had me at "dahling." And, some people find Niphrendil annoying but that's actually the reason that I like her. I think she's a brat, but a very entertaining one (I like Kalki for similar reason).

theslowblitz wrote:Tsuris'lok
Tragic death.

Dalvyserran wrote:Okay, I admit I like a couple cameos very much.

Verthandi, Jiaan, ran'diirk, Kail'odian, Ab'ireo, Miner'a & Lysire'indris for serious cameos

farahang, tur'geis, tsuris'lok, feli'cia and rafal'za for silly cameos

They're all pretty neat and memorable for me

Junglefowl26 wrote:Tsuris'lok - no explanation needed. We all know.

partner555 wrote:Also, I noticed nearly everyone have Tsuris'lok on their list. Congratulations Tsuris, you've really made an incredibly memorable character. :)

dfjslkfjsdlk

Tsuris
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Disestablish » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:32 am

A whole lot of understandable love for the lovely Tsuris'lok.
Who is also my personal fav among cameos as it is...
He was just so hilarious it's hard not to like him.
Disestablish
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Aerisa » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:30 pm

Like everyone else I have a soft spot for my own cameo characters, Beryla'zuli (Daydream), and Perciva. But I have a BIG soft spot for another cameo, one I'm not certain I've seen named here:

Feli'cia Vel'Sharen
http://wiki.drowtales.com/index.php/Fel ... l%27Sharen

She brought another view of the consequences of the Nidra'chaal war: Those of the Children the 'traitor' left behind, and their fate in the clan. They were screwed from the start: Lil Fel, loyal to the core, was met with disdain at every turn, eventually abandoned to the enemy without an ounce of care. Hopefully she will be given more care when she falls in the arms of Sil'lice's follower, and change her views. Though that is pretty unlikely.
Aerisa
Vel'akar

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Thrair » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:29 am

I think my favourite cameo characters are the ones that are distinctive enough to be memorable on their own merit, but still blend in with their peers. Especially when their appearance/personality hint at aspects of their background and/or the setting, making both feel more "alive".

Examples:

-Fame:
Quirky and memorable. Interesting scar and tattoo. Fits in with the breed of crazy the Vloz'ress are known for.
-Jysmur:
Nuts, even by Vloz'ress standards, but works well with allies. Distinctive in their *cough* *gag* quirks.
-Tur'geis (AKA "The Badass":
Comes across with a surprisingly commanding presence, but doesn't dominate the scenes he's in, despite this. Has earlier hints towards his excessive badassery that aren't shoved in reader's faces.
-Synathra (AKA "The Grabass"):
Boisterous and loud, but friendly and works well in his squad. Unique scar. Generally entertaining.
-Sorn'mal:
Very distinctive facial tatoo and injury combination. Manages to be stoic and composed without being emo, hinting at a deep sense of professionalism.
-Yuh'le:
Manages to do the "cold sociopath" routine well, without seeming stupidly bloodthirsty and self-destructive like most such characters. Well-designed outfit.
-Cas'nilhus:
Much like Yuh'le, manages to be an example of a scarily functional psychopath. Emphasizes the darker aspects of Kyorl leadership. Fairly distinctive outfit.

As for ones I don't like... I'd say that's the ones that stand out TOO much. The ones that feel forced and like they're screaming for all the attention in the scene. The ones that, rather than fit in with their peers, seem to be trying to outshine them. These types of cameos stick out, but like sore thumbs. Especially when they are heavily cliched personality types.
Examples:
-Not listing any, for obvious reasons of not trying to pick a fight or deride anyone.

In short, I prefer the cameos to be an interesting part of the background, but not the focus of the scene (As a general rule. Sometimes the cameos fit in with the big plot points quite well, and can be used to great effect for that. Ran'diirk was a prime example, but even then he wasn't the driving force in that scene. Snad was.)

P.S. Those were the extreme ends of cameos. Most of them are more "meh", and aren't especially interesting in and of themselves. These ones don't tend to be very memorable or having a lasting impact. However, they isn't a problem, because they don't disrupt things like the "bad" cameos do, and they usually don't take up much screentime. So they just add minor background detail, which is kind of the main point of the cameos (besides helping support the comic).
Last edited by Thrair on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thrair
Demon

Location: My Chair, Washington (Just south of My Computer, Washington)
Clan: Sharen

Postby partner555 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:08 am

Thrair wrote:-Synathra (AKA "The Grabass"):
Boisterous and loud, but friendly and works well in her squad. Unique scar. Generally entertaining.

Just so you know, Synathra is a male. ^^;
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Thrair » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:43 am

partner555 wrote:Just so you know, Synathra is a male. ^^;

Naw? *checks wiki* Well, I'll be damned. Does explain a couple things, I guess. Coulda sworn he was a she. Dude looks like a lady!
Thrair
Demon

Postby Tsuris » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:46 am

Thrair wrote:
partner555 wrote:Just so you know, Synathra is a male. ^^;

Naw? *checks wiki* Well, I'll be damned. Does explain a couple things, I guess. Coulda sworn he was a she. Dude looks like a lady!

Also wasn't sure if you meant Tur'geis as the badass, because if you meant Tsuris'lok no one has ever described him with a "commanding presence" before XD
Tsuris
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Thrair » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:09 am

I might have mixed up the names, then. Tsuris is the badass chief of the highland raiders, yah? Or is that Tur'geis?

Drowtales has a TON of characters. And between the fluid sexuality and gender-neutral armor, it's sometimes hard to keep em straight.

*EDIT* Sure enough, had em swapped. Tsuris is the one who went demon-mode and snuffed it when Kiel took out the fake Diva. Yah.... not exactly the officer type....

Sowwy. :( He's still a cool cameo, though! And went out with a bang/bite/growl/probably fire.
Thrair
Demon

Postby Disestablish » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:38 am

Tsuris wrote:Also wasn't sure if you meant Tur'geis as the badass, because if you meant Tsuris'lok no one has ever described him with a "commanding presence" before XD

Tsuris has all the qualities of a good leader!
Cripplingly low self esteem.
Constant self doubt.
Emotional and mental instability.
Lack of self-control.
Taken over by his seed and turned into a murderous Vel'akar.
Promote him to Illharess already.
He can wear a pretty dress!
Disestablish
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Tsuris » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:41 am

Disestablish wrote:
Tsuris wrote:Also wasn't sure if you meant Tur'geis as the badass, because if you meant Tsuris'lok no one has ever described him with a "commanding presence" before XD

Tsuris has all the qualities of a good leader!
Cripplingly low self esteem.
Constant self doubt.
Emotional and mental instability.
Lack of self-control.
Taken over by his seed and turned into a murderous Vel'akar.
Promote him to Illharess already.
He can wear a pretty dress!

Psh, Lok doesn't have low self esteem or crippling self doubt if anything his opinion of himself is a little too big XD

But yes CLEARLY Lok is the best choice for Illhar'ess he could probably wear a dress better then most girls anyway
Tsuris
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Thrair » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:47 am

Tsuris wrote:But yes CLEARLY Lok is the best choice for Illhar'ess he could probably wear a dress better then most girls anyway

You know.... I'll admit there's a lot of Drag Queens that can rock their outfits better than the ladies can. I remember one of my coworkers lending one of the Queens a dress (I used to work at a bar) for a show they had to prep last-minute, and was irritated when everyone agreed he looked better in it than she did. And she was cute, too!

What can I say, he just wore it better, s'all. 8P
Thrair
Demon

Postby partner555 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:52 am

Now that the chapter is over, does anyone have any new favourites?

I liked Grey, if only because she's literally the only light elf cameo thus far, so she's a cameo who stands out without even trying despite her short appearances.

I also took a liking to Fianova for actually caring that Wafay's mom is dead and not being more concerned with now the Nids can't make more antidotes.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion