For general community discussion.

Mel Debate Thread

Mel Debate Thread

Postby Pig_catapult » Wed May 07, 2014 9:54 pm

Since several people mentioned that they'd like a break from this in the main page threads, I figured it'd be good to make a thread to divert that to. Probably a good idea to note which page you mean.

Personally, I don't have strong feelings about Mel one way or the other, but, as of page 30:

1) I think that the next few pages will show Mel feeling conflicted about what just happened, and we'll finally see her and newbody!Zhor have an extended conversation
2) I find it interesting which panels in which her ears are down in across the last several pages with her in them.
3) I hope it comes back to bite Snad in the ass that she's emotionally neglecting Mel when she really obviously wants/needs to talk to someone.
Pig_catapult
Summoner

Re: Mel Debate Thread

Postby midnightbast » Wed May 07, 2014 10:14 pm

Wrong forum for debates. Moving to World Setting forums.
midnightbast
Kern's minion

Postby partner555 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Please let number 3 come to pass? What creature need I sacrifice to the gods of storytelling and webcomics for that to come to pass?

Seriously though, to put my two cents in, I really hope the next few pages doesn't crush peoples' (aka my) hopes.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Dalvyserran » Wed May 07, 2014 11:09 pm

People are playing judge, jury and executioner way too fast. Mel's been through a lot, and I don't see how people can't be a little empathetic and imagine themselves in her position. In my honest opinion, all the "i want mel to die" or "I hate mel I have no sympathy for her" is extremely one-sided and ignorant. Quain's a proven hypocrite to the last, but even I can understand Quain'tana's reasons about keeping her legacy intact and out of rivals'/enemy hands. Also, on the law of the Sargh clan, Mel is a clan traitor and deserves what punishment the Illharess dishes out, ie Nega'fanea allowing that merchant to be tortured for info.

With that said, I think Mel is going to ask Zhor some serious questions about Snadhya'rune & his opinion on the sarghress. We've never seen Zhor express anything beyond concern for mel and detecting Lulianne's transformation.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby partner555 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:50 am

Dalvyserran wrote:People are playing judge, jury and executioner way too fast. Mel's been through a lot, and I don't see how people can't be a little empathetic and imagine themselves in her position. In my honest opinion, all the "i want mel to die" or "I hate mel I have no sympathy for her" is extremely one-sided and ignorant. Quain's a proven hypocrite to the last, but even I can understand Quain'tana's reasons about keeping her legacy intact and out of rivals'/enemy hands. Also, on the law of the Sargh clan, Mel is a clan traitor and deserves what punishment the Illharess dishes out, ie Nega'fanea allowing that merchant to be tortured for info.

With that said, I think Mel is going to ask Zhor some serious questions about Snadhya'rune & his opinion on the sarghress. We've never seen Zhor express anything beyond concern for mel and detecting Lulianne's transformation.

Hmm, you're right, I have judged her too fast. Kinda like back during the parley talks between Quian and Sabbror or Ariel and Quain talking about Ariel's actions.

I should try and curtail this tendency to assume the worst of characters far too quickly.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby PoignardAzur » Thu May 08, 2014 5:18 pm

Dalvyserran wrote:People are playing judge, jury and executioner way too fast. Mel's been through a lot, and I don't see how people can't be a little empathetic and imagine themselves in her position. In my honest opinion, all the "i want mel to die" or "I hate mel I have no sympathy for her" is extremely one-sided and ignorant.

My opinion is that Mel sucks as a character because she is overly predictable, and I sometimes see her more as a prop than a character. Almost everything that happens to her is basically a way to show us other people's personality. Her relationship with Quain ? The whole point is to show how violent and despotic Quain can be. Her relationship with Snadhya ? To give us exposition about the Nids, and show us how manipulative Snadhya is. Her relationship with Ariel ? To show how cynical Ariel has become. Actually, the only impact she's had on the plot so far was to (probably, kind of) motivate Faen to try and date Ariel.

EDIT : that's why I'm not really enthusiastic about the whole "Mel will understand how evil Snadhya is !!!" thing. Even if she does, what will happen ? She'll get very angry, then go back to being useless somewhere else ? Not excited.

Dalvyserran wrote:Quain's a proven hypocrite to the last, but even I can understand Quain'tana's reasons about keeping her legacy intact and out of rivals'/enemy hands.

The "I defend Quain but not too much" thread is available :D
PoignardAzur
Summoner

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Pitdragon » Thu May 08, 2014 10:07 pm

Held my council and deleted a lot of potential replies for the last few days due to the high emotions on the forums. But I really am surprised people have forgotten about Mel's masks, given how much time was spent on them, and how even one chapter was named after them. Mel has already expressed the "I'll fake it until I make it" attitude, her masks have been on most of the time skip except for a few scenes - outside her apartments before she left, perhaps a brief moment when she hugged Snadhya since everything had built up to that moment, it faltered when Zhor was shown to her, and it was off by the lake. Even Ariel saw a mask. Mel is never herself, but always a reflection of those around her, it is a survival technique to some extent (barring the Sarghress on some level, where she instead adopted the "insane monster" mask because her issues with them and Quain go back too far).

Dalvyserran wrote:With that said, I think Mel is going to ask Zhor some serious questions about Snadhya'rune & his opinion on the sarghress. We've never seen Zhor express anything beyond concern for mel and detecting Lulianne's transformation.

I think he already told her about Lu to be honest (outside the *lying* silent speech), and I don't think Mel missed on the elevator thing (*Edit: or the arm-breaking comment Snadhya just had if Mel never mentioned it*). Frankly, that question was probably less out of genuine need for Lu but more of a well-timed probe to get an answer about that. She may realize the number of people she can trust is almost non-existent. I don't think she knows about Khaless (doubt Zhor would have seen anything later), but Lu might be a questionable entity to her now. *some slight edits to make things more concise*
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Jaal'darya

Return to General Discussion