For general community discussion.

Cameo Brainstorming

Re: Cameo Brainstorming

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:26 am

partner555 wrote:
Pitdragon wrote:
partner555 wrote:Only males can be Templars, and only females can be Wardens.

Crusader would work. They're sort of lower- to mid-level troops and her back story sounds like a Duter commoner or of a lesser house at most that fell apart in the clan's fall. Commoners are often called to war as Crusaders, and I don't see why they wouldn't have some permanently at arms in the standing army given the increased tensions leading to the Sarghress-Sharen war and their own fallout with the rest of the Empire after Shimi denounced the Sharen in the last Clan Council. I'd even wager that integrating Duter commoners by having them act as Crusaders in long-term positions might have been suggested and enacted by those not so opposed to adding their bloodlines in the beginning (and tolerated by the rest, as Crusaders could be meatshields in their minds). This would have them interacting with the more religiously trained of the forces to better bring them into the Kyorl culture and mindset.

And Shinae's affinity is very unique, it is a sort of random pop-up of a High Sorcery that uses air pressure, so is a mix of Air and something else (perhaps natural Spell Song affinity? that would explain Shodun having something similar going on). Kern would have to be convinced to allow such a thing, and unless he feels it could work in the plot I'd not easily count on it. I'd stick with Air and look to Kalki and Sasi from the Nids as inspiration of what can be done with it.

Huh, I didn't notice the affinity at first. Pitdragon is right. You're going to have to change the affinity. As it is, it looks like a high sorcery, which will almost certainly be shot down by Kern. Go with one of the common affinities.

Gotcha, thanks Pitdragon and partner, will change occupation to former Crusader; affinity changed to Air, reduced in effectiveness, and upped the martial component to saber (along with personality and other updates)
Last edited by Basileus_Ioannis on Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 1:54 am
Location: recuperating from getting strangled by that one-eyed golem in Felde

Re: Cameo Brainstorming

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:32 am

partner555 wrote:Ok everyone, here is the updated info on my Inquisitor. Before I send it to Kern, can you guys tell me what you think?

Here's her old concept: http://www.drowtales.com/wordpress/?p=6181
And of course, here is her sister: http://www.drowtales.com/wordpress/?p=6392
Nuru's templar: http://www.drowtales.com/wordpress/?p=6423
Nuru's and Karo's son: http://www.drowtales.com/wordpress/?p=8120

The links are there so you guys have the context for my cameo's updated information:

Personality traits:
1. Has learned her sister is alive and well, if tainted, among the Sarghress, and wishes to reunite with her beloved sister.
2. Questions Kyorl'solenurn doctrine, since it was what caused her sister to flee to the Sarghress in the first place.

Favourite saying: "If Sharess is truly a benevolent goddess, then why did my sister get tainted? Why did Nuru have to run?"

Favourite expression: Determination

Quirks: Still addicted to chocolate and alcohol, but getting better at controlling her addiction.

Loyalty: Her sister and others who also question Kyorl'solenurn beliefs.

Ari'nara in one sentence: Someone who misses her dear sister.

Now THAT'S a cameo! What a back story...what drama in her life! I feel for her, and hope she is reunited with Nuru soon. Very well conceived and written, her and Nuru, Karo, and Fari too. So when Nuru left for the Sarghs, Karo went with her, and now they have a kid? That's a beautiful story, and I'm glad they're (relatively) safe. I take it that's Karo and Nuru in your avatar, then?

So, does that put Ari'nara in the Truth-Seeker faction?
Last edited by Basileus_Ioannis on Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 1:54 am
Location: recuperating from getting strangled by that one-eyed golem in Felde

Re: Cameo Brainstorming

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:03 pm

(delete)
Last edited by Basileus_Ioannis on Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 1:54 am
Location: recuperating from getting strangled by that one-eyed golem in Felde

Re: Cameo Brainstorming

Postby partner555 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:11 pm

Basileus_Ioannis wrote:
partner555 wrote:Ok everyone, here is the updated info on my Inquisitor. Before I send it to Kern, can you guys tell me what you think?

Here's her old concept: http://www.drowtales.com/wordpress/?p=6181
And of course, here is her sister: http://www.drowtales.com/wordpress/?p=6392
Nuru's templar: http://www.drowtales.com/wordpress/?p=6423
Nuru's and Karo's son: http://www.drowtales.com/wordpress/?p=8120

The links are there so you guys have the context for my cameo's updated information:

Personality traits:
1. Has learned her sister is alive and well, if tainted, among the Sarghress, and wishes to reunite with her beloved sister.
2. Questions Kyorl'solenurn doctrine, since it was what caused her sister to flee to the Sarghress in the first place.

Favourite saying: "If Sharess is truly a benevolent goddess, then why did my sister get tainted? Why did Nuru have to run?"

Favourite expression: Determination

Quirks: Still addicted to chocolate and alcohol, but getting better at controlling her addiction.

Loyalty: Her sister and others who also question Kyorl'solenurn beliefs.

Ari'nara in one sentence: Someone who misses her dear sister.

Now THAT'S a cameo! What a back story...what drama in her life! I feel for her, and hope she is reunited with Nuru soon. Very well conceived and written, her and Nuru, Karo, and Fari too. So when Nuru left for the Sarghs, Karo went with her, and now they have a kid? That's a beautiful story, and I'm glad they're (relatively) safe. I take it that's Karo and Nuru in your avatar, then?

So, does that put Ari'nara in the Truth-Seeker faction?

Yes that's them in my avatar. And yes, Ari'nara is in the truth faction, didn't you see it at the livestream? I'm pretty sure you were there too.
User avatar
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon
 
Posts: 7338
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:46 pm
Location: Do you really care?
Clan: Sarghress

Re: Cameo Brainstorming

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:18 pm

partner555 wrote:
Basileus_Ioannis wrote:Now THAT'S a cameo! What a back story...what drama in her life! I feel for her, and hope she is reunited with Nuru soon. Very well conceived and written, her and Nuru, Karo, and Fari too. So when Nuru left for the Sarghs, Karo went with her, and now they have a kid? That's a beautiful story, and I'm glad they're (relatively) safe. I take it that's Karo and Nuru in your avatar, then?

So, does that put Ari'nara in the Truth-Seeker faction?

Yes that's them in my avatar. And yes, Ari'nara is in the truth faction, didn't you see it at the livestream? I'm pretty sure you were there too.

Aheh, yes I was, but you know...Kern's handwriting 8P
User avatar
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 1:54 am
Location: recuperating from getting strangled by that one-eyed golem in Felde

Re: Cameo Brainstorming

Postby partner555 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Basileus_Ioannis wrote:
partner555 wrote:
Basileus_Ioannis wrote:Now THAT'S a cameo! What a back story...what drama in her life! I feel for her, and hope she is reunited with Nuru soon. Very well conceived and written, her and Nuru, Karo, and Fari too. So when Nuru left for the Sarghs, Karo went with her, and now they have a kid? That's a beautiful story, and I'm glad they're (relatively) safe. I take it that's Karo and Nuru in your avatar, then?

So, does that put Ari'nara in the Truth-Seeker faction?

Yes that's them in my avatar. And yes, Ari'nara is in the truth faction, didn't you see it at the livestream? I'm pretty sure you were there too.

Aheh, yes I was, but you know...Kern's handwriting 8P

I suppose. I too know what it's like to deal with unreadable handwriting, both on the receiving end and the giving end. My colleagues at work, my school teachers and my own parents have all commented on my bad handwriting, since primary school no less.

Want to know how I came up with Arinara in the first place?
User avatar
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon
 
Posts: 7338
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:46 pm
Location: Do you really care?
Clan: Sarghress

Re: Cameo Brainstorming

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:38 pm

partner555 wrote:Want to know how I came up with Arinara in the first place?

Yes, please do tell!
Edit: I'll reply later, my eyes are giving out (5:49AM local) so I'm gonna turn in, g'nite partner!
User avatar
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 1:54 am
Location: recuperating from getting strangled by that one-eyed golem in Felde

Re: Cameo Brainstorming

Postby partner555 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:04 pm

Basileus_Ioannis wrote:
partner555 wrote:Want to know how I came up with Arinara in the first place?

Yes, please do tell!

Ok, when the whole cameo thing really got going, I decided to create some characters to prepare for the next time roles become available.

I thought about how there were a lot of tainted ex-Kyorls among the Sarghress. I also wondered about the people they left behind. And thats how the sisters Inquisitor Ari'nara and former Warden Nuru'lara came to be.

I asked myself if there were any who would follow the tainted ex-Kyorls in joining the Sarghress, and thats how I came up with former Templar Karo, who was the Templar assigned to Nuru'lara and helped her escaped to the Sarghress.

I then wondered about what kind of relationship this particular Warden-Templar duo had, and that's how Fari came to be.

Some of my inspiration, I credit to Tsuris, another member of the forum. I'm not sure if you know him though but his cameos gave me a lot of inspiration for mine. In fact, if you check this thread, you would see that one of his cameos, Tsuris'lok is on a lot of other people's favourite list. What makes it especially impressive is that a lot of people there admitted that they were biased towards their own cameos, and still included Tsuris'lok in their favourites.

PS: If you want inspiration, try looking in that thread, particularly where people listed cameos they liked which WEREN'T their own. You could also look through the older posts of this thread, but I understand if the sheer number of posts dissuade you.

Edit: Also, goodnight.
User avatar
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon
 
Posts: 7338
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:46 pm
Location: Do you really care?
Clan: Sarghress

Re: Cameo Brainstorming

Postby Ra'tatosk » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:37 pm

partner555 wrote:
Ra'tatosk wrote:In a rush fleshing out my character. Still a work in progress - comments and corrections wellcome:

Best not to have too many quirks, it'll be easier on Kern if he only has to remember one or two quirks as opposed to three. Especially if there are a lot of cameos.

Also, I thought the Order of Serenity didn't have that many fighters beyond just a few guards?

Revised cameo of my truth seeker:

Raveena – Order of Serenity
Born 993 – 121 years old

• Name: Raveena
• Race: Half blood pure Ssu mother and Illhar’dro father.
• Ancestry : Dutan’vir commoner (no Val).
• Gender: Female
• Age: 120
• Profession: Servant – but her old profession in the Dutan’vir clan was warden.
• Martial ability: Close combat with light sword.
• Mana affinity: Earth high art with foci.
• Build: Atheletic, slightly above normal height.
• Costume: Same clothes as the rest of the order of Serenity, white and brown. As a travelling cape she wears the same type as Sham’naal is doing on this page, dark green with brown trim. http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive/20 ... 15p025.jpg
• Wounds: Left ear cut halfway in, followed by a cut/slash from the ear over her left cheek to the chin (on the left side). Her wound is from the Nidraa’ war.
• Colors: (Illhar’dro) blue eyes, cream colored hair, ssu colored skin.
• Personality traits: Proud being a mix (thinks she combines the best of both). Very levelheaded in fights – that’s how she survived the Nidraa’ war. Her years in the order of Serenity have mellowed her. Still proud and strong in will but no longer put it in the face of people. Don’t tell just do.
She still has her skills as Dutan'vir and are a capable fighter.
• Favorite saying: “The truth is out there” and “Am I right, or am I right” The second part can be in a menacing tone looking down on the other.
• Favorite activity: Training the equivalent to Tai Chi style https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_chi. (Reading books on history and martial art.)
• Favorite expression: Calm and serene face.
• Quirk 1: Great fan of strawberries with whipped cream – gladly fight over it’s supremacy over chocolate. Getting in the fight with the war cry “The chocolate is a lie”.
• Quirk 2: Always keep the men in place – you never know what they conspire about – you give them a finger, they take the whole arm.
• Inspirational pictures: Hair - http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/ ... 09_14.html
The blondie with the two balls of hair – looks like two fluffy dollops of whipped cream, only hair not her personality. Ad to this a small rim on fluff on her forehead.
Training Tai Chi: http://cdn.gaijinpot.com/wp-content/upl ... i_pose.jpg,
http://www.google.se/imgres?imgurl=http ... LAodiCgJWA
• The answer to the question: The truth.
• Who is your character in one simple sentence? Proud and calm after finding her purpose in life.

Background
She came from the Dutan’vir to the Kyorls after the clan’s losses in the Nidraa’ war. She fought bravely in the war as a warden and survived, but felt everything meaningless after the destruction of her clan. At 87 years of age and in her prime she choose the Order of Serenity as her home order. The war had taken toll of her fighting spirit and she wanted peace and calm, which she thought that this order would give her. Her paternal ancestry made her interested in the surface and in the arts. She has been reading a lot the last years. Now she is back in fighting spirit, due to her reading and learning a lot of interesting things about her Light elf ancestry. She wants to know the truth about how they all ended up in this underworld, and trying to get back on the surface. Even if she now is a servant to the order, she still has her skills and is still very much capable in fighting as she were as Dutan'vir.

But at the moment I suppose she is on her way to Chel or has just arrived there. There will be a lot of news to take in.
User avatar
Ra'tatosk
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:04 pm
Location: Under the stars, munching roasted chestnut nuts
Clan: Illhar'dro

Re: Cameo Brainstorming

Postby partner555 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:36 pm

That looks better, but I don't think the Dutanvirs have Wardens, at all.

In fact, I don't think we know what the military structure is like for the Dutanvirs.
User avatar
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon
 
Posts: 7338
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:46 pm
Location: Do you really care?
Clan: Sarghress

Re: Cameo Brainstorming

Postby Disestablish » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:24 am

partner555 wrote:That looks better, but I don't think the Dutanvirs have Wardens, at all.

In fact, I don't think we know what the military structure is like for the Dutanvirs.

As of right now? I assume the Dutan'vir are just arming whoever they can, given they're still small and the Kyorl are knocking on their door with purge squads.
User avatar
Disestablish
Dark Chibi Demon
 
Posts: 5427
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:25 am
Location: The cold wilderness of rural Ontario.
Clan: Sarghress

Re: Cameo Brainstorming

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:43 am

partner555 wrote:Ok, when the whole cameo thing really got going, I decided to create some characters to prepare for the next time roles become available.

I thought about how there were a lot of tainted ex-Kyorls among the Sarghress. I also wondered about the people they left behind. And thats how the sisters Inquisitor Ari'nara and former Warden Nuru'lara came to be.

I asked myself if there were any who would follow the tainted ex-Kyorls in joining the Sarghress, and thats how I came up with former Templar Karo, who was the Templar assigned to Nuru'lara and helped her escaped to the Sarghress.

I then wondered about what kind of relationship this particular Warden-Templar duo had, and that's how Fari came to be.

Very nice, I like how you tied together Nuru'lara and Karo with the Sarghress (I assume House Mae'yukir?), which gave Ari'nara an avenue of hope to be reunited with her sister. With Kern's tale about to pit the Kyorls against the Sarghress, I wonder how things will work out for the sisters...

partner555 wrote:Some of my inspiration, I credit to Tsuris, another member of the forum. I'm not sure if you know him though but his cameos gave me a lot of inspiration for mine. In fact, if you check this thread, you would see that one of his cameos, Tsuris'lok is on a lot of other people's favourite list. What makes it especially impressive is that a lot of people there admitted that they were biased towards their own cameos, and still included Tsuris'lok in their favourites.

PS: If you want inspiration, try looking in that thread, particularly where people listed cameos they liked which WEREN'T their own. You could also look through the older posts of this thread, but I understand if the sheer number of posts dissuade you.

I see where Tsuris'lok is very popular, not the least for his spectacular exit during the retreat from the assassination. Self-sacrifice in such a badasstic way is always memorable, like that captain in the Colonies side story in chapter 42, or Naal-demon in chapter 47. On top of that, Tsuris'lok's "hobby" combined with Vicyl mourning his loss (and discovering his "hobby") added much depth to that character even after his loss. Vicyl himself ended up being a neat cameo, sticking with Kiel through the collapse of the Vloz fortress. His interactions with squadmate Cac'bolg made his character more likeable well after the attack on North Cliff, even though they had all been bloodthirsty scourges.

So my takeaway from this is that it isn't just the quirks or personality of the cameo itself, but the interrelations with other characters, that contribute to making a character memorable and likeable. Even Tsuris'lok with his "immortality" and epic death wouldn't have made him as memorable if not for the fact that others missed him after he was gone. His sacrifice and contribution to the success of Kiel's getaway was mechanically necessary for protagonist Kiel'ndia to survive to accomplish what she did in later chapters; but it was his relationship with his squaddies that helped us like him all the more. I will keep that in mind for my own character creation, thanks for a most valuable pointer, partner! :)
User avatar
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 1:54 am
Location: recuperating from getting strangled by that one-eyed golem in Felde

Re: Cameo Brainstorming

Postby partner555 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:15 am

Basileus_Ioannis wrote:
I see where Tsuris'lok is very popular, not the least for his spectacular exit during the retreat from the assassination. Self-sacrifice in such a badasstic way is always memorable, like that captain in the Colonies side story in chapter 42, or Naal-demon in chapter 47. On top of that, Tsuris'lok's "hobby" combined with Vicyl mourning his loss (and discovering his "hobby") added much depth to that character even after his loss. Vicyl himself ended up being a neat cameo, sticking with Kiel through the collapse of the Vloz fortress. His interactions with squadmate Cac'bolg made his character more likeable well after the attack on North Cliff, even though they had all been bloodthirsty scourges.

So my takeaway from this is that it isn't just the quirks or personality of the cameo itself, but the interrelations with other characters, that contribute to making a character memorable and likeable. Even Tsuris'lok with his "immortality" and epic death wouldn't have made him as memorable if not for the fact that others missed him after he was gone. His sacrifice and contribution to the success of Kiel's getaway was mechanically necessary for protagonist Kiel'ndia to survive to accomplish what she did in later chapters; but it was his relationship with his squaddies that helped us like him all the more. I will keep that in mind for my own character creation, thanks for a most valuable pointer, partner! :)

You're welcome.

By the way, anyone else who wants to comment on Ari'nara's updated info? I'd prefer getting this to Kern sooner rather than later and I would like to hear more opinions before I do.
User avatar
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon
 
Posts: 7338
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:46 pm
Location: Do you really care?
Clan: Sarghress

Re: Cameo Brainstorming

Postby Pitdragon » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:12 am

Seems good to me. If for some reason Kern mentions there's no way for her to have found out given the circumstances, then have those doubts grow from the current events (feelings of betrayal by fleeing Kyorl half-bloods and their friends, all the deaths of leaders, the Schism) and wondering ,"If Nuru was alive, would she be among the "corrupted" Dutan'vir? Tainted and no where else to go? Are they really any different then?" Though honestly I don't see it being an issue, there are ways to overhear from watching Sarghress spies "felt" out by their sneaky thoughts.
User avatar
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether
 
Posts: 4591
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:30 pm
Location: An island in the clouds.
Clan: Jaal'darya

Re: Cameo Brainstorming

Postby partner555 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:58 am

Pitdragon wrote:Seems good to me. If for some reason Kern mentions there's no way for her to have found out given the circumstances, then have those doubts grow from the current events (feelings of betrayal by fleeing Kyorl half-bloods and their friends, all the deaths of leaders, the Schism) and wondering ,"If Nuru was alive, would she be among the "corrupted" Dutan'vir? Tainted and no where else to go? Are they really any different then?" Though honestly I don't see it being an issue, there are ways to overhear from watching Sarghress spies "felt" out by their sneaky thoughts.

I'll keep this in mind. Thanks Pitdragon.
User avatar
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon
 
Posts: 7338
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:46 pm
Location: Do you really care?
Clan: Sarghress

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron