For general community discussion.

Cameo Brainstorming

Re: Cameo Brainstorming

Postby Altruis » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:31 pm

actually i did but i never thought or planned to make a none-drow cameo idea cause i found it extremely rare. especially a demon
Altruis
Summoner

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Altruis » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:53 pm

Altruis wrote:
Disestablish wrote:
SFI wrote:No offense meant with this question, Altruis, but have you ever even read the Wiki before you started to plan Cameo's?

We certainly posted enough links to it when he first started, I can say that...

ow dise time's like this makes me wonder why i hate you so much
Altruis
Summoner

Postby Dalvyserran » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:39 pm

SFI asked a serious question, because you really, really need to read the world setting before posting any sort of cameo here.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby AnoP » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:07 pm

SFI wrote:
Altruis wrote:

what's a Vel'Akar? so that means i can post my demon idea right?

No offense meant with this question, Altruis, but have you ever even read the Wiki before you started to plan Cameo's?

To be fair to Altruis , not even the author remembers what the difference between a Velakar and Veraku are. *hmmm*
AnoP
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Dalvyserran » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:11 pm

When and where has this occurred ?

Forgetting old info and not bothering to even read it are two different things.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Postby AnoP » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:15 pm

Dalvyserran wrote:When and where has this occurred ?

On a podcast . Thalar remembered though . XD
Dalvyserran wrote:Forgetting old info and not bothering to even read it are two different things.

But he said that he did ?
actually i did but i never thought or planned to make a none-drow cameo idea cause i found it extremely rare. especially a demon

Although you are correct that even skimming over the wiki entry might have told him what a velakar and Veraku and a whatever are if he was curious about demons . Although he still wouldn't technically know for sure what could and couldn't be included . *hmmm*
AnoP
Vel'akar

Re: Vloz'ress babbling arsonist

Postby Ra'tatosk » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:35 pm

Altruis wrote:
this is my Vloz'ress

-Name: Raklan'Vloz'ress

-Martial ability: Golem Arms with fire focil on them,his golem arms have hidden blade fists, he use them for close combat
-Mana affinity: Fire sorcery

For a cameo only one weapon is allowed. I think that golem arms with firefoci - and - hidden blade fists could be considered two weapons. Check with Kern about that and be prepared to make a choice between them if he says so.
Ra'tatosk
Vel'akar

Postby aceofAces » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:56 pm

Man this makes me wish I even had the money for a cameo cuz now Ive been getting some neat ideas
aceofAces
Demon

Postby Khora2150 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:01 am

Altruis wrote:what's a Vel'Akar? so that means i can post my demon idea right?

Just an FYI, Demon cameos are not going to be accepted unless you have an especially good reason to have one (Which right now, is pretty much just Tsuris'lok). I would very highly recommend you try improving one of your current cameos enough to be acceptable instead of just making more. Quantity is not the goal here, quality is.
Khora2150
Demon

Postby Disestablish » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:17 am

Making 6 cameos well not one is acceptable means you've just gotten 6 Kern can not accept.
You need ONE Kern can Altruis.
Just ONE.
Disestablish
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Thrair » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:42 am

Since this particular circumstance has become a pet peeve of mine, I'll toss out one last set of advice catered for you, Altruis. Especially given you seem to lack the ability to restrain yourself.

Do:
-Focus on character's basic personality (cheerful, bitter, stubborn, selfish, etc).
Set the tone for the character with a few traits that compliment each other. Or contrast in an interesting way. But less is more.

-Make sure they fit into their setting.
A Vloz is going to be tainted, period. Dutan'vir are always Drowussu. Make sure you don't violate the lore; Fact check.

-Find or create an art reference that has a look you like, without having excessive detail.
At the end of the day, Kern and co are going to have to draw the character. Making it overly complicated or detailed is creating more work for them, and probably ensuring the character won't have much screen-time. Keep it reasonable.

-Compare your character to those of their group.
Would your character stick out like a sore thumb, or blend in with their peers? Try for the latter. These characters are meant as background. If they stick out, it's generally a bad thing.

-Pick, at most, a couple skills that make sense for the character, or limit them to side hobbies.
Is your character a teacher? Then why are they a master swordsman? Are they a soldier? Then why are they a master scholar? Make sure your character has a obvious reason to have their skillset, or have it tie into a simple quirk. If it needs an explanation, you probably took it too far.

Don't:
-Qualify positive attributes.
If they're smart, say they're smart. Don't say they're genius/prodigy. Have a positive trait is all well and good, but all your submissions tend to have these traits exaggerated to the point of mary/marty sue-ism.

-Focus on qualifying their skills.
Pick specialties, and let KERN decide how good at them your character is. Again, you tend to play up these traits too much.

-Focus on their combat abilities.
Most of these cameos are going to be background roles. If your character is defined by the weapon they're carrying, you might as well have made a cameo out of a spear, or a mana foci. And you won't see them interacting with the main cast in any way but as meat pinata.

-Include an intricate backstory, or have one be required for the character to make any sense.
These characters get very limited screentime. If they cannot stand up without having several pages dedicated to explaining them, they've failed at their purpose.

Now, good luck. We'll see you on Saturday.
Thrair
Demon

Location: My Chair, Washington (Just south of My Computer, Washington)
Clan: Sharen

Postby Disestablish » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:17 am

Andto add on, do not make their entire defining characteristic something like being loyal to their clan and family.
Almost all characters are loyal to their clan and family especially SHAREN.
If it's your character's most important point you make for it, then it's not a good character.
Disestablish
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Altruis » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:53 am

hmhmhmh alright ill give a try
Altruis
Summoner

Postby Catriana » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:52 pm

Apologies for being nit picky, but many dutanvir are actually mix blood. They were known for being the more tolerant/accepting ssu clan between themselves and the Kyorl, which eventually became their downfall as it enabled the Nidraachal to infiltrate and destroy them from within. I only mention it because of its somewhat plot relevance.

Mikilu, Kai'to, Lulianne, and San'goro are considered mix blood, for example.
Catriana
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Altruis » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:59 pm

Altruis wrote:
Catriana wrote:Apologies for being nit picky, but many dutanvir are actually mix blood. They were known for being the more tolerant/accepting ssu clan between themselves and the Kyorl, which eventually became their downfall as it enabled the Nidraachal to infiltrate and destroy them from within. I only mention it because of its somewhat plot relevance.

Mikilu, Kai'to, Lulianne, and San'goro are considered mix blood, for example.

good to know thanks Catriana :)
Altruis
Summoner

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion