For general community discussion.

Cameo Brainstorming

Re: Cameo Brainstorming

Postby Altruis » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:49 am

Disestablish wrote:...
You don't seem to know what a personality is do you...
Personality is not history... It's how they feel.
"OH they like to make weapons" is not a personality trait... It's just not...
She's calm on the battle field and goofy off it is not a personality make.
No details, no info, nothing for Kern to use or work with at all.

ow...ok i will add alot of details later on, thanks for the info mate.
Altruis
Summoner

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Tsuris » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:35 pm

would highly suggest giving them names that are pronounceable as well
Tsuris
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby AnoP » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:28 pm

Altruis wrote:
Disestablish wrote:...
You don't seem to know what a personality is do you...
Personality is not history... It's how they feel.
"OH they like to make weapons" is not a personality trait... It's just not...
She's calm on the battle field and goofy off it is not a personality make.
No details, no info, nothing for Kern to use or work with at all.

ow...ok i will add alot of details later on, thanks for the info mate.

To expand on what Disestablish is saying here , I'm not sure exactly what personality means however this page lists some personality traits . Of course the overwhelming objective , at least from the authors point of view is that they know exactly what to put on the page to make you happy , and so they're not left wondering "what the hell should I put here?" . Also the personality traits can help make them more memorable or interesting . Personality traits aren't an end in themself , its more how what you wrote down will effect what you see on the page , and the aid they provide the author when they're writing or drawing .
Although it must also be kept in mind that traits can be bad in some ways if there's too many of them . Because given the limited time which is granted to each cameo (some cameos get more time then others , but in the end they are all limited in how long they show up for) , not all the traits you write down will necessarily be able to show up . And it also increases the authors time spent , as they need to decide , "What traits should I put in and which should I leave out" .

So for example if she really likes to make new weapons how would that show up in the story ? I mean there is the obvious way of it showing her with a welder and some scrap . Or assembling a bomb . That's stage one of characterisation .

Stage 2 would be how do we then know it's new . For example she'd talk about how it's new and its capabilities .

So that's your basic stuff down . So now lets move on to how this "I really like designing and making new weapons" would impact other parts of her behaviour and thus what we see on our screens . For example if she sees someone with a new kind of weapon would she go up and talk to the person maybe . Be friendly , questioning ? Compliment them on it . Note the difference between her homelands style and the foreigners ? (I believe the Balvs are showing up in Chel instead of Nuqrah , so a mix of different cultures could be shown for example) Perhaps she's trying to learn new stuff . Maybe she thinks she's all that and looks down and disparages others and their gear . Perhaps she rants and drones on alot about her stuff .
Or maybe she'd be looking to take the new weapons from the battlefield . Or gather up metal scraps and cores for her tinkering . Also what kind of weapons does she like ? Explosives ? Cannons ? Little mana gun things ? Your traditional sword / axe / spear combo ? All weapons ? Is she interested in combating nether by sealing ? Shielding her cores from Nether like Karliir does ?
Also does this effect what she does on her off time . Does she like going and blowing stuff up with her friends (purely for testing purposes of course) ? If she likes tinkering , does she get really annoyed when people touch her stuff ? (for example my brother absolutely hates losing screws and that stuff when he's making his amplifier or upgrading his computer) Is the stuff she's doing potentially dangerous ?
Does her experience with her arm make her very conscious of others safety ? (like did she blow of off her arm in that backstory , I got an inkling that she might have , but it was never directly stated ?)
Also maybe you could have something to do with her arm . Maybe it needs oil to stop it creaking for example . Maybe it's broke and she needs someone to fix it . Maybe she needs friends/someone/whoever to help her put it on or help her fix it .
Perhaps she wants a new arm . Maybe she likes talking with fellow de-armed people about such things .

Now see not all of our traits that we write in will ever show up in the story , or even in the concept art , and who in the hell knows if anything we write will be interesting to anyone else , so I don't worry too much about what other people think (sometimes I'm not even sure I'll find my own characters interesting) . The story determines which of these traits are used to display your character (for example the peace gathering at Felde in chapter 44 , gave less chances for characters to show traits in combat, so they would be less likely to show in the story. For example Abadella was made with the mostly peaceful nature of the peace gathering in mind. I mean I'm not saying he's good or bad or anything , but that's how I did my fitting to the chapter) . But if you know what you want to see your character be or do , you can help get it up there with your traits , and it also gives the author some direction , on what your character would or could do in a scene, even if you've not specifically mentioned what they would do in umpteen different situations . Or maybe there'll be a scene written around one of your things if they think it's interesting .
I mean sometimes we don't know exactly what's going to be in the chapter , or even at all what is going to happen , so your character traits are a stab in the dark to some extent , but that's the nature of the beast .
AnoP
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Tsuris » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:52 am

I should also note that 280 is too old for a balvhakara, I tried to make one that was 234 and Kern said during a live stream that that was older then the clan itself so you should take that down about 150 years
Tsuris
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Disestablish » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:04 am

Tsuris wrote:I should also note that 280 is too old for a balvhakara, I tried to make one that was 234 and Kern said during a live stream that that was older then the clan itself so you should take that down about 150 years

Wizard did it
Disestablish
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Altruis » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:07 am

Tsuris wrote:I should also note that 280 is too old for a balvhakara, I tried to make one that was 234 and Kern said during a live stream that that was older then the clan itself so you should take that down about 150 years

yes but 150 isn't bit too young? that mean's his swordsmanship cant be in an expert level...i was even planning make one bit more older later on...well what should i do now?
Altruis
Summoner

Postby Disestablish » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:09 am

Altruis wrote:

yes but 150 isn't bit too young? that mean's his swordsmanship cant be in an expert level...i was even planning make one bit more older later on...well what should i do now?

Stop being so fixated on having characters at master level is the first and best step to make.
Disestablish
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Altruis » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:25 am

Disestablish wrote:
Altruis wrote:

Stop being so fixated on having characters at master level is the first and best step to make.

i think expert level and master level is way too different level's i think
Altruis
Summoner

Postby AnoP » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:42 am

Altruis wrote:i think expert level and master level is way too different level's i think

What does expert and master level mean exactly ? I mean we don't have sword fighters of that age in the real world ? How do we know that the human brain would even be able to improve in fighting past say 40-50 years old ? If they can't improve past a certain age , then they could be as good as anyone , or even better despite their younger age .
Also I can't remember an exact quote about this but , I think it was said that the person would not improve in the amount of knowledge they could accumulate on a single subject , past say ~200 years .
AnoP
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby partner555 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:43 am

Altruis wrote: i think expert level and master level is way too different level's i think

Why not just specify a skill without specifying how good they are?

Personally, all I do is say my cameos are skilled in something without specifying their skill levels. The only exception was Kor'rin who knew nether summoning at a minor level.
partner555
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Altruis » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:02 am

Changed the sword level and age now he is younger and make more sense his personality

-Name: Songi'giltryit Beldrobbaen
-Race: Drowolath
-Heigh:1.85m
-Build: Slender
-Job: Swordsman
-Weapon : a pitch-black double-edge straight sword
-Mana Affinity: Shadow

-Appearance: Black eye's, long black hair with a black robe with a hood on it and a clan bandana as armband on his right arm also black boot's.

-His emotional and lonely person but his friendly, honorable, and ambitious young man he became distant and emotional when his left arm left paralyzed in a fight which make him consider his whole life and so he decide that there's nothing in this world that gonna make him forget this pain.His also fun of Vel'chahal and dream's of the day he will find his sword and lead his clan to it's former glory.

-Abilities
Despite the loss of his left arm songi level of swordsmanship is enough to hold off sarghress and black sun invader's.

-Like's: Taking nap's, practicing his swordsmanship, fighting.
-Dislike:Anything too Bright.
-Hate's: Black Sun's.

Quote's
-I may have one less arm but still its enough to tear down the like's of you.
-Fight me and prove me wrong if you can.
-If you have a problem call me and i will solve it for you.

-Inspirated picture's: n/a.
Altruis
Summoner

Postby Disestablish » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:24 am

Looking a lot better as far as it goes man.
Disestablish
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Altruis » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:33 am

Disestablish wrote:Looking a lot better as far as it goes man.

thanks looks like i get better with every new update post
Altruis
Summoner

Postby Thrair » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:40 am

Grats on the concept art, Dise. And nice avatar. :)
Thrair
Demon

Location: My Chair, Washington (Just south of My Computer, Washington)
Clan: Sharen

Postby Altruis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:01 am

Thrair wrote:Grats on the concept art, Dise. And nice avatar. :)

indeed he looks badass
Altruis
Summoner

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion