For general community discussion.

Another direction with the cameos

Re: Another direction with the cameos

Postby nerdycanuck » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:19 pm

I can understand some of the negative feelings that people may have towards the cameos.

I think that Kern and Kite have done an excellent job in integrating the concept of cameos into the comic, and right around the time that the Sharens were an option for cameos I had considered getting one. Alas, finances were not available for such and so I shelved the idea. But I still liked it.

That said, I think that the discussion surrounding the cameos and motivations of said cameos made it a little difficult to try and get involved in comic discussion. I have never been a prolific poster and the fact that the cameos tended to be purchased by people more active in the community, who made with tons of conversations about said cameos, just seemed to present one more barrier to joining into conversations. I didn't have the same attachment to those characters as the regular forum posters did, though I did enjoy reading about them.

This isn't meant as a criticism of the people that did those discussions, however. I'm merely writing about it to perhaps try and explain why there might be some negativity towards the cameos from the perspective of someone that has, on occasion, felt a little intimidated by the sheer popularity of them. I think people have come up with some wonderful, seriously creative characters that really added a lot of flavor to the chapters in which they were featured.
nerdycanuck
Demon

Postby Strossus » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:26 am

I didn't become active on the forums until after getting a cameo character.
It was my birthday present to myself. :D
Strossus
Demon

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby H'K'Maly » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Strossus wrote:
Mizu wrote:
$150 with no concept art , 200 with .

*wince*

Ugh, I was hoping it was more in the 50-75ish dollar range. I mean, I am going to break down and do it eventually, I am too much of a nerd and fan of the series to pass up something like getting to put my own character in the story. It is just a matter of how long it takes me to wear myself down on being willing to cough up that much money.

Even with so many and the price they are at they fill up fast.
For me the trick is having it ready before the slots are all used up. xD
I end up spending it on video games. >.>

Personally, I see the price and the speed they are filled regardless as a proof there are more dedicated readers who will enjoy it more that I would. (It's better that thinking that they are just richer)
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar

Previous

Return to General Discussion