For general community discussion.

Merry Christmas to Kern & Kite!

Merry Christmas to Kern & Kite!

Postby Vilx- » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:41 pm

Merry Christmas, Kern & Kite! I think you're awesome and this is by far the best webcomic I know of! :) I wish you many happy years and many inspiring chapters! :)
Last edited by Vilx- on Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vilx-
Summoner

Clan: Valley'gurl

Re: Kern & Kite's Christmas Thread

Postby Dalvyserran » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:55 pm

As much as I yap about this & that, and debate with other people on these forums, I just want to say that at the end of the day, I love to read and participate in DT every day and there isn't any other webcomic that I visit as frequently as this one. *heehee*

DT also has helped me a lot down the road with renewing interest in drawing and improving my skill, because now the majority of my picture folders are filled with drow- and DT-themed things :V
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Tsuris » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:02 pm

Your webcomic is fantastic and the artworks if incredible, and for the most part I spend almost all of my free time here on the site. It's become a huge part of my life and I have made tons of friends here. This is easily my favorite webcomic, and one I'm really happy to be a part of.

So I just wanted to say thanks to the both of you for doing all this and to wish you both a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year :)
Tsuris
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Junglefowl26 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:33 pm

There has been no webcomic, and very few stories of any kind, that have captured my imagination and eaten so much of time as Drowtales. And this is in spite me hating Elves and loving dwarves. This comic, its setting, and its characters have almost single handily redeemed elves and especially drow in my eyes. Should drow ever appear in my DnD games, they will be inspired by Drowtales

I love to spend my time here, whether it is rereading old chapters, or joking, speculating, or debating with a community full of people who I respect and whose company I enjoy.

Like Dalvyserran, this comic has even helped me get back into creative projects after having lost the energy for them long ago. Through the interactive parts of the webcomic like DayDream and the RP portions of the site, I have gotten back in touch with my love of writing.

So many thanks to you Kite and Kern, and everyone who works on the other parts of the site, you have made my life that much more enjoyable. Merry Christmas and happy holidays, and the best of luck in your future.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Karrin Blue » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:38 pm

Well... I love this comic. The art is great, I really like the characters, and it's just a good webcomic overall! And of course, I really, really loved meeting Kite and Kern at Connecticon (I might have spent too much time there, maybe...) but! It always seems like the people who make the books and comics and other stuff that we like are hard to talk to, but it's the complete opposite here! I think that the ability of the fans to talk to Kern and Kite on livestreams or the forums or whatever is just a really great thing.

So merry Christmas and happy apocalypse!
Karrin Blue
Tainted

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Leopardwerecat » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:47 pm

I can easily say that Drowtales has been one of my biggest artistic influences in my life. I started reading it at 11-12 years old and now I'm 20, and it helped me grow as an artist over the years and inspired me to create my own webcomic in the future. It's kept my imagination going and gotten me out of artblocks and out of dark places. I think a life without this webcomic, as nerdy and sad as it sounds, would feel a damn sight emptier.

It felt like one of my biggest breaks when I was asked by the studio to draw the side-story pages and the Vloz Worldsetting page, and I never felt so proud for once to see my own artwork up on the website for others to enjoy c:

Not only has Kern's massive improvements artistic-wise been a major inspiration, but also learning from Kite how she paints and deals with colours has helped me grow as an artist, and I'm forever grateful to them both for sharing their artwork with us all.

I also love how down to earth and in touch with the base you both are, always dropping in on the forums to comment here and there, the frequent news updates and your thoughts on what we the fans think and the livestreams are the best thing ever yesyes (whenever Kern's drawing I always feel inspired to draw, it's the best rememdy for an artblock.)

Merry christmas Kern and Kite, keep being awesome! I hope the new year brings you both an easier workload and better fortune :>

To all the naysayers that have been complaining this past year, bah humbug to you all.
Leopardwerecat
Demon

Location: Patiently waiting for the war to end at the Jaal'darya Citadel.
Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Alric » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Dear Kern & Kite:
I've been reading Drowtales for years now, it's the only webcomic I can be bothered to read anymore. I've met several friends via the RP community and through Relic Hunters and Path to Power, and like many others here it's inspired me enough to write stories and create characters based in the Drowtales setting. I've always been a fan of the unique implementation of "magic" in the setting, the nuanced view on drow and other species in the setting, and the amazing art and artists who do work for the site, including you two.

I've been a long time subscriber to Relic Hunters, finding it a fun and interesting little diversion on the site. It's also helped me to get acquainted with several of the players and GMs, wonderful people all. The roleplay sessions ensuing from events in RH and Drowtales in general have always brought a smile to my heart. I for one, plan on continuing to write stories and RP with characters in the setting.

In conclusion, I wish the both of you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and further success with Drowtales!

Your long time fan and supporter,
Alric
Alric
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Avalon » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:35 pm

I read several webcomics, but out all those, only Drowtales updates daily and none of the other webcomics come anywhere close to the same art quality (except maybe Girl Genius, and even that comes a distant second (no offence intended to the Foglios ^^; )). I'd frankly be surprised to find that Kern and Kite are anything short of superhuman to be able to provide a webcomic with such a rich world, interesting, engaging characters and high quality artwork and to do so Every. Single. Day.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and here's to another year of Drowtales greatness.
Avalon
Vel'akar

Location: In my top secret hideout, plotting world domination
Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby sakkara/sarai » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:37 pm

Happy Christmas Kern and Kite, thanks for all the good (and sad *Naal!*) times, heres to many more in the future!

*Raises a glass*
sakkara/sarai
Runaway slave

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:10 pm

Drowtales is my favorite webcomic period, the gorgeous manga influenced artwork, the unique storytelling, and the engaging and lovable characters have had me hooked ever since I first stumbled across Moonless Age by chance...BACK IN MY FRESHMEN YEARS IN COLLEGE! *omfg* ;)

I mean, Drowtales is the only webseries that I periodically check in on for updates each night, the only one I actually spend money on so that I may enjoy each of its many spinoffs, from daydream to Relic Hunters, and the only one who's online community I've become a long time & committed part of...Basically, Drowtales is the one webseries that I'm truly a hardcore fan of instead of just a casual fan in passing.

I actually like Drowtales better than many of the mainstream comic books and manga that I read, Ariel and her friends and enemies seem more real to me for some reason and that endears me to them and their struggles, makes me care about what's gonna happen next, its a more mature sort of fantasy world setting while still maintaining everything that makes a fantasy story a fantasy story, hope that makes sense ^^;

Long story short, many thanks to Kern and Kite for entertaining me and so many others for such a long time, may Drowtales continue to be the best comic online for many more years to come, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you two! *wee*

Sincerely,
Durlyn, Sarghress for life! :D
Last edited by Durlyn Val'Sarghress on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Brawl97 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:28 pm

DT is my favorite webcomic normaly i never feel inspired enough to participate in the forums or get this invested in fictional characters in all of my life.U guys made me love elves (something i never do) I love u guys and appreciate all of the work you do to keep us entertained

U ROCK HAVE A GOOD HOLIDAY *wee*
Brawl97
Vel'akar

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby GEM76 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:38 pm

Merry XMAS Kern & Kite
Your web comic is one of the favorite things I like to view at the end of the day and is great and progressing ansd always brightenss my mood at the end of the day. It indroduced me to chatting online which I never did before and allowed for me to meet (cyber anyway) intresting people around the world.

Your artwork inspired me to finaly muster the courage to ask artist to draw my characters which I love almost as surly as you love your characters. So now like your characters they have been brought to life for people to enjoy and appriciate, and its all thanks to you two.

Thank you again and I wish you both a very Merry Christmas.

*raises glass of eggnaug* *heehee*
GEM76
Vel'akar

Postby Crilltic » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:24 pm

I've been reading Drowtales for almost a year now, and I must say it's probably up there with Calvin & Hobbes and Foxtrot as my favorite comic ever...period. The art, the story, it's just all so awesome, I'm eternally grateful I happened upon this webcomic.

Most importantly, I've made a ton of friends here and it's helped rekindle my flagging writers complex, and gotten me interested in RP's. The guys over at SoF have really been great. This wouldn't have been possible without both of you and all your hard work and dedication, keep up the fantastic work :)
Crilltic
Summoner

Clan: Sharen

Postby La'karma » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:09 am

As evening comes I find myself, as I have over the past year, looking forward for my clock to hit 12 am. It has become a sort of tradition one that even my family and friends have come to expect. They know that I'll still be up at 12 or even 1 in the morning, typing away or simply reading through the forum. That is just how much Drowtales has become part of my life. I'm not planning on changing this habit any time soon.
I often find myself thinking, when I'm not deep in something else, about the wonderful world and the beautifully woven narrative. The forum, while it can sometimes be mean, has become a fun place to come and converse with the other people who share my strange need to read the page right off the press and then try and dissect it.
Just this week, I've thrown my lot in with a small clan on the surface and I've taken interest in reading through Daydreams...and I'm still patiently waiting for the Balvhakara cameos to come (even though I'll only be able to afford a silent role). I know that each page is made with full dedication, care, and strength, that the characters are created with an eye to detail and understanding of the world that goes far beyond my own. An understanding and a vision of their world that I have come eagerly await each night, shown and not told through the various actions, none reactions, and perspectives of characters I've come to grow attached (or not so attached) to.

Thank you. Thank you for your continued work, your dedication to not just telling a story, but sharing a whole new culture and world with us. Thank you for the years of efforts that I've gotten read and enjoy with others. Thank you Kern and Kite. May your holidays be bright and New Year bring good fortune.
La'karma
Summoner

Postby django » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:10 am

I've been reading drowtales for a very long time and I'm happy to say its the only web comic I'm still interested in, after all these year, and you guys created a fantasy system that pretty damn unique, no small feat.

I check this site so often, I tell my friends If I could grind it up and inject it I would.

Merry Christmas and here's looking forward to the years to come.
django
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Next

Return to General Discussion