For general community discussion.

Time skip choice for Ariel.

During the time skip who do you think would be the best choice in raising Ariel?

Quain'tana: Learn from the top wolf herself.
14%
Kelnoz: He pretty much taught Ariel when Saphille wasn't. Might as well make it official.
7%
Mel: No! Mel should be the one!
8%
Quill'yate: Yeah, time spent with the tough, fun, and funny Aunt!
42%
Sillice: Maybe she will have better luck teaching someone who isn't tainted.... Maybe?
1%
Vaelia: Who said a goblin warrior woman can't teach a drow heir.
7%
Other: Please list and ex plane below.
8%
None: To hell with the adults! All they have done is screw her up. Let nature take over instead of nurture.
11%

Total votes : 83

Re: Time skip choice for Ariel.

Postby H'K'Maly » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:26 pm

Torrin wrote:
Raziel wrote:I was thinking of putting Diva in there but considering the way she is not there is no way Ariel would listen to her or take her seriously. Hard to do when you're in a weaker child body. ^^

Agreed. But Diva might just be clever enough to teach Ariel without Ariel realizing she's being taught.

Agree, but that would still leave Ariel in need of "official" teacher.

And my choice is "other" as in "multiple options". 15 years are too long for one teacher. Quill'yate definitely, maybe Quain'tana for some time, Kel'noz, Rosof Tions ... and I would like to try even the Sil'lice.

I don't think Mel will be allowed to teach Ariel ... maybe after timeskip ...
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar

Postby Roses Ablaze » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:45 pm

I chose Quill because she's shown to be good mother material and because maybe Ariel would want to get away from Chel after all this drama.
Roses Ablaze
Vel'akar

Postby vernes » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:10 am

Multiple people. Seeing everything from multiple sides would hopefully make her a diplomat to everyone.
Recognize true threats, and able to rally allies under one banner, each for reasons of their own.
Her (adopted) mother wants to change the way of her society through a fist.
Brought up by many people, she will make people change society through their own wishes.
vernes
Summoner

Postby Lee'yane » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:33 am

vernes wrote:Multiple people. Seeing everything from multiple sides would hopefully make her a diplomat to everyone.
Recognize true threats, and able to rally allies under one banner, each for reasons of their own.
Her (adopted) mother wants to change the way of her society through a fist.
Brought up by many people, she will make people change society through their own wishes.

I agree wholeheartedly with this and now regret already voting. *hmmm* Still, I think Quil would be best for teaching how to be a warrior, a diplomat, moral, a non-bitch, non-heartlessly cruel, and how to be happy all from one person. ^^;
Lee'yane
Summoner

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Sionyx » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:58 am

I went with Mel purely because I'm a fan of mother/daughter bonds. :3

Okay, with that out of my system, I chose to read this as "Who should educate Ariel?" And who's the only other shapeshifter in Chel that anyone in their right mind would let near Ariel? Maybe it'd need to be supervised training, sure, but we've seen Mel go pudding a few times now. It would be very beneficial to Ariel to get that kind of training. We also know that although Mel has her...issues...with Quain and isn't a strong supporter of the Sarghress as a whole, she DOES agree with one of the main tenets - the Vals/Vels ruling Chel are doing it no favors and the common people need to have a say in their city and lives. It may not be the best idea for Mel to be Ariel's only teacher during the timeskip, but Mel should have a place in her education.

((OT: Also, grammar nazi isn't a medical condition, but reading posts with spelling and grammar errors can get...annoying. I try not to complain because it looks like Raziel IS using a spell checker; the grammar glitches are too consistent post to post and the only spelling errors I really see are ones native to the comic and unlikely to show up on a spell check. But the name spelling is why I didn't vote when the poll first went up. Subject dropped.))
Sionyx
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Raziel » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 am

Sionyx wrote:I went with Mel purely because I'm a fan of mother/daughter bonds. :3

Okay, with that out of my system, I chose to read this as "Who should educate Ariel?" And who's the only other shapeshifter in Chel that anyone in their right mind would let near Ariel? Maybe it'd need to be supervised training, sure, but we've seen Mel go pudding a few times now. It would be very beneficial to Ariel to get that kind of training. We also know that although Mel has her...issues...with Quain and isn't a strong supporter of the Sarghress as a whole, she DOES agree with one of the main tenets - the Vals/Vels ruling Chel are doing it no favors and the common people need to have a say in their city and lives. It may not be the best idea for Mel to be Ariel's only teacher during the timeskip, but Mel should have a place in her education.

((OT: Also, grammar nazi isn't a medical condition, but reading posts with spelling and grammar errors can get...annoying. I try not to complain because it looks like Raziel IS using a spell checker; the grammar glitches are too consistent post to post and the only spelling errors I really see are ones native to the comic and unlikely to show up on a spell check. But the name spelling is why I didn't vote when the poll first went up. Subject dropped.))

Well one has to imagine that Quintana also knows how to do some of the same art too seeing as how she has it. She just uses it in a more practical battle sense. ^^
Though I still don't see the logic in not voting because of grammar. o_O
Raziel
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Esau_Myrhh » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:25 am

Torrin wrote:I was thinking, maybe the smartest option is take "some of each". The best option for Ariel in terms of her own future is to let Quain continue to think of Ariel as a dutiful heir, but Quain tends to be hands off management unless she's pissed, so as long as Ariel keeps mostly on Quain's good side she'll have plenty of free time to visit Mel, Kel, &tc.

Of her teachers so far, I do think Vaelia would make the best mother. But Vaelia needs to be on the surface, raising Embari children. :)

Mel needs comforting, but she isn't much use to Ariel besides perhaps a weekly check - in conversation until her current situation improves. Personally I doubt Quain will be willing to free Mel from her life of misery except by death or abdication (i.e., if Mel dies, or if Ariel becomes Ilharess then she will free Mel).

But on the whole, I'd try to remain independent. One option not here, as wierd as it is, is Liriel / Diva. Diva was hardly the best mother in Chel, but she probably has more experience and lessons learned under her belt than just about any Sarghress. And as far as most others are concerned, Liriel is just a slave and beneath their notice.

Agreed!
Esau_Myrhh
Summoner

Postby Aegis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:35 am

I vote... cookies. Or kitties. Or both.
Aegis
Demon

Postby Junglefowl26 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:47 am

So few votes for Vaelia? She has done the best at being a mother to Ariel so far: always there not only to protect Ariel, but to guide her, teach her, comfort her, and do everything she can make Ariel happy and strong...and if Ariel has any sanity left, it is thanks to her.

(Not that is Mel's fault mind you, she just never really had the chance...still, circumstances must be taken into account when deciding the best option).

Quill is a solid second choice I bet, she has experience teaching raiders at least, though her duties keep her very busy....and she may be a bit too supportive of the "toss your child down a cliff" approach. (Hhhmmmm....I wonder if she has any kids of her own. Crack theory: Sylphie is her biological daughter.)

In any case, I really want to see a reunion between the two, and for Ariel to meet Chu. Though maybe getting something so cute next to Ariel is a bad idea.....
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Harbinger of Cookies » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:53 am

H'K'Maly wrote:
Torrin wrote:
Raziel wrote:I was thinking of putting Diva in there but considering the way she is not there is no way Ariel would listen to her or take her seriously. Hard to do when you're in a weaker child body. ^^

Agreed. But Diva might just be clever enough to teach Ariel without Ariel realizing she's being taught.

Agree, but that would still leave Ariel in need of "official" teacher.

And my choice is "other" as in "multiple options". 15 years are too long for one teacher. Quill'yate definitely, maybe Quain'tana for some time, Kel'noz, Rosof Tions ... and I would like to try even the Sil'lice.

I don't think Mel will be allowed to teach Ariel ... maybe after timeskip ...

I think the question can be also interpreted as, who should be responsible for Ariel's training. So that "some of each" choice would then probably be Quain, or Kel, or even the "screw adults" choice for Ariel choosing for herself: where, when, with who, for how long, for what purpose.

Offtopic: About grammar nazism, with enough psychological torture just about anybody can be broken... Every time I see Vaelia called Valeria, I die a little, even if this Valeria might be very close to what Vaelia could be if she wasn't so keen on improving her karma. Though an army of Vaelia-Conan hybrids swearing their allegiance to Ariel would be pretty awesome *bigsmile*
Harbinger of Cookies
Summoner

Postby Aegis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:09 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:So few votes for Vaelia? She has done the best at being a mother to Ariel so far: always there not only to protect Ariel, but to guide her, teach her, comfort her, and do everything she can make Ariel happy and strong...and if Ariel has any sanity left, it is thanks to her.

(Not that is Mel's fault mind you, she just never really had the chance...still, circumstances must be taken into account when deciding the best option).

Quill is a solid second choice I bet, she has experience teaching raiders at least, though her duties keep her very busy....and she may be a bit too supportive of the "toss your child down a cliff" approach. (Hhhmmmm....I wonder if she has any kids of her own. Crack theory: Sylphie is her biological daughter.)

In any case, I really want to see a reunion between the two, and for Ariel to meet Chu. Though maybe getting something so cute next to Ariel is a bad idea.....

You know, I actually like that idea. I don't mind seeing Vaelia do much of the teaching and raising, if only it be for a little while. Shorter lifespans, drow aging much slower, humans not able to survive too long in the dark, and the possibility of Vaelia one day having a child of her own notwithstanding. My memory is hazy, but how many years is the timeskip going to be again?
Aegis
Demon

Postby Dice Warwick » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:15 am

Ariel has the people who will make her grate; Quain is her roll-model, Diva will be her teacher, Faen is her anchor, and I bet Shala, Sarnel, and Kau will be her comrades in arms. And Let's not forget the Fallen Legion, a loyal army ready to kill for her, and cuddle her at any time.
Dice Warwick
Morrock Oracle

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Raziel » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:37 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:So few votes for Vaelia? She has done the best at being a mother to Ariel so far: always there not only to protect Ariel, but to guide her, teach her, comfort her, and do everything she can make Ariel happy and strong...and if Ariel has any sanity left, it is thanks to her.

I'm rather surprised on the lack of votes for Vaelia as well. o_O
Raziel
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Aegis » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:40 am

Must be the human thing. :P
Aegis
Demon

Postby Raziel » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:59 am

Aegis wrote:Must be the human thing. :P