For general community discussion.

How has your opinion of Quain changed?

How do the events of the last few pages effect your view of Quain?

I used to be a big Quain fan. Now I'm not.
2%
I never was a big Quain fan. This confirms it.
22%
I still like her.
29%
I like Quain more now.
13%
I used to respect Quain as a leader burdened by her own success, but now... (explain below).
15%
I don't care, but I do like voting in polls.
4%
I don't know what to think.
7%
Other (explain below).
8%

Total votes : 116

How has your opinion of Quain changed?

Postby Torrin » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:42 pm

Just curious.

I'm wavering between "Quain has lost all respect I had for her" and "Quain does love Mel, and she cared about Syphile too, but in the Sarghress politics comes before family, and from her point of view Mel is a traitor and deserves worse".

*hmmm*
Torrin
Vel'akar

Re: How has your opinion of Quain changed?

Postby Harbinger of Cookies » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:54 pm

"I used to respect Quain as a leader burdened by her own success, but now... (explain below)."

...nothing has changed about this. What she did fits exactly her character and history.

I could have hoped she would have changed, then I might have started to actually like her, but it's not surprising she didn't change. I don't think it's common to have a big change of character at her age, even if Syphile and Ariel had some small influence in her thinking...

Edit add: I'm not completely happy about the poll choices, I didn't find any choice that really fits. Not sure if I should have picked the last choice "Other" instead of this one, with same explanation.
Last edited by Harbinger of Cookies on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harbinger of Cookies
Summoner

Postby AthenAltena » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:57 pm

Sadly, I'm not surprised, though I had hoped that she might change after what Syphile said. It's not without precedent, so it's not a complete shock, but it is stomach-turning.
AthenAltena
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Ruyade » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:59 pm

I respect Quain, and I think her treatment of Mel makes sense within her cultural context. I don't think she does what she does out of pure malice; it's just that her clan is far more important to her than her daughters.

I would still never, ever, ever want to be even remotely related to her. Syphlie was right, she is a horrible mother, even if she's a great clan leader.
Ruyade
Tainted

Clan: Sharen

Postby Hellsion » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:24 pm

Quain the same person she has always been, I don't see why everybody is surprised.

to backtrack a bit, If she did this she can certainly break her insubordinate daughter's arms and toss her in a pit. If you don't think its the same scenario, look again.

if you thought Mel was gonna be safe you are a fool.
Hellsion
Vel'akar

Clan: Valley'gurl

Postby Kirik » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:33 pm

To put it simple I started hating Quain character with that page where I saw her stealing a child from weakened women, her daughter after pregnancy, and tossing aside harmless fluffy spider...

And by her actions in the comic she didn't make anything which could change my opinion about her into a positive light.

Only time I will like Quain is if she would apologise to Mel, but we all know that will never happen so I think I will never like this particular character, being only a great leader and a big bully with a heavy soldier mindset doesn't excite me enough to like her.

Of course I will change my opinion about Quain when she will be killed/dead, we people are known for doing that to be positive about someone just cause that person died ^^;
Kirik
Vel'akar

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Max_black0 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:02 pm

While I was never a huge fan of Quain, I did have a degree of respect. That's changed now, Quain's just a monster.
Syphile's opinion in Chapter 8: Page 21 and in Chapter 18: Page 10 seem to be quite accurate.
Max_black0
Vel'akar

Postby Pahana » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:08 pm

I still like her and will always do so, as long as she stays in character. I have expected no less than a painful punishment from her, and I can't help but wonder how anyone could have expected something else. If she ever goes 'I'm-a-lovely-gentle-drow-now', THEN I would hate her. It's Quain'tana, not 'I-love-my-daughters-so-much-I-don't-realise-they're-bullshitting-me"-Diva'ratrika.

I love Quain'tana exactly for what she is.
But I can understand that others would hate her. Her character is not exactly for everyone.
Pahana

Postby Sionyx » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:00 pm

"I used to respect Quain as a leader burdened by her own success, but now... (explain below)."

I still respect her as a leader, but much less so (respect as a person, don't get me started). I think I made it clear in my posts in other threads that while I fully understand WHY she punished Mel, I don't think she did it the right way. For whatever it was worth, Mel tried to mend the rift between them, and anyone involved in Chel politics - I'm looking at you, Quain - should have figured a way to turn that to their advantage. Try to turn the questionable motives into a genuine reconciliation, maybe? Going about it this way is virtually guaranteed to make Mel never way to talk to you ever again, and remember that Ariel isn't a dummy and WILL figure out her true relationship to Mel. There's way too much riding on Ariel continuing to willingly follow Quain to just trust Ariel will continue to follow her after learning some of the truths of the clan. Ariel's been thinking that Quain'tana's is tough but fair, and this may well change that opinion, depending on how Mel and Quain's past is explained to her.

I've been questioning Quain's methods since this scene. and the next page. Pay attention to Ariel - she's reaching for a sword, and a quick death for Mir'kin, and Quain hands her a mace instead, making Mir'kin's death...not so quick. He was a little jackass, but he didn't deserve that.

Oh, and thanks to the previous posters who already found those pages I used - saved me having to look for them myself! *heehee*

Edit: Fixed a link problem...
Sionyx
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Dalvyserran » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:25 pm

I still like her. Nothing about her has changed since the beginning, aside from treating Ariel more fairly (which is a stretch for a warrior like her). She's a drow after all; I don't see why people are suddenly upset about it.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby I'wyce Sol » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:28 pm

Ruyade wrote:I respect Quain, and I think her treatment of Mel makes sense within her cultural context. I don't think she does what she does out of pure malice; it's just that her clan is far more important to her than her daughters.

I would still never, ever, ever want to be even remotely related to her. Syphlie was right, she is a horrible mother, even if she's a great clan leader.

I picked other , but i agree:

DT is a Machiavellian world, in state of undeclared war at this point,
EVEN the SHARENS consider Mel a traitor.

I feel for Mel, but in this world she's a space case,
and almost FORCED Quain into this, everyone knows
Quain believes her men wouldn't respect her if Mel was to get away with :

1. ran away during an attack, TO GO PARTY (AWOL,viewed as cowardice by all)
2. ran to the ENEMY during said attack (TREASON)
(which sharen doesn't matter, Taliban or Al-keida, or Kadafi, still ur enemy [for a real earth comparison] )

3. Returned WITH said enemy and let them go (Boldface Taunting, not a crime but incredibly stupid)
after a battle which many lost their LIVES

4. unwilling to admit wrongdoing and comprise in the face of her peers,
whatever Quain wanted, Mel was in no position to bargain- unless she willingly snitched on Snad
(which she should have done if she was to actually expect leniency,
and even then Quain might not think too highly of that )

Quain Obviously could have handled that better,
and could have thought of something more subtle
IF she took the time to think about it instead of raging like we all know she did.
that said, IF it was ANYONE else.......
http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=4953

i wont lie though, i still expected some hesitation, or at least some warning before
" I will have to punish you for this, give me a good reason not to kill you...."
I'wyce Sol
Nether Spawn

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Tiam » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:32 pm

Other. Remove Quainy and you effectively remove Sarghress. Ariel is too young yet and unknown element inside and outside of the clan. I have to tolerate Quainy and her bloody ways, what's the alternative? Quain has never been remotely likeable and really, there's been plenty of proof about just how brutal she can be. Even so, consider how many lives will be lost if she suddenly bites dust, Sharen and their pawns will hunt down every last former Sarghress and not just their noble members, but everyone, it'll be a huge long bloodbath. Why would they bother you ask? Sheer spite. Sharen never forgive anything. Additionally, Nidraa will own Chel unopposed. My sweet *blush* Vlozzies :D will need help to expose them! Unless you would trust the Kyorl instead? As for Mel, she could use better sense.
Tiam
Demon

Location: Talos 1, hiding from phantoms and getting paranoid around coffee mugs and office chairs.
Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby H'K'Maly » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:44 pm

Harbinger of Cookies wrote:"I used to respect Quain as a leader burdened by her own success, but now... (explain below)."

...nothing has changed about this. What she did fits exactly her character and history.

I could have hoped she would have changed, then I might have started to actually like her, but it's not surprising she didn't change. I don't think it's common to have a big change of character at her age, even if Syphile and Ariel had some small influence in her thinking...

Edit add: I'm not completely happy about the poll choices, I didn't find any choice that really fits. Not sure if I should have picked the last choice "Other" instead of this one, with same explanation.

Well, I've picked "Other" with same explanation. I can't say I like Quain but I respect her and yes, nothing changed on that. After all, she responded to Mel's lack of plan as I've expected.

Ruyade wrote:I respect Quain, and I think her treatment of Mel makes sense within her cultural context. I don't think she does what she does out of pure malice; it's just that her clan is far more important to her than her daughters.

I wouldn't mind being related to her if remote enough. Millenium or two and three generations would be even enough to be proud to such heritage - because in that time everyone forgots the bad or will consider it part of the age.

I'wyce Sol wrote:i wont lie though, i still expected some hesitation, or at least some warning before
" I will have to punish you for this, give me a good reason not to kill you...."

I thought the same, but what if she already said that in some of previous cases?
Last edited by H'K'Maly on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar

Postby Raziel » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:54 pm

I'll admit at first I didn't like Quintana at first but the more things progressed the more I realized that this is actual typical drow behavior. To expect a normal nurturing motherly behavior from her is just nonsense. And like Ariel said in the end Quintana is tough but fare. ^^
I've been questioning Quain's methods since this scene. and the next page. Pay attention to Ariel - she's reaching for a sword, and a quick death for Mir'kin, and Quain hands her a mace instead, making Mir'kin's death...not so quick. He was a little jackass, but he didn't deserve that.

He was a jackass that groped her, stabbed her, and tried to kill her on more than one time. He did deserve that! *upset*
Raziel
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby HidingGoblin » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:05 pm

If my opinion has changed? Not at all. We've always known that she's cruel and vindictive and brutal in her methods. We've also been aware of her poor parenting skills since the first day we read from start to end. And we've been aware of the hate/bloodthirst relation she has with Mel. I knew this when I started liking Quain'tana and I know it now. And knowing how Quain'tana and Mel'arnach feel about each other, the only way I'd be surprised is if she had done this to Kel'noz.

So no, it hasn't changed one bit. Even if I'm no supporter of violence in real life, in comics or games I like the ruthless, brutal warlord arche-type and Quain'tana is that and much more. If she's capable of being dissapointed in her daughter for being the victim of rape, teaching her granddaughter to kill using a particularly agonizing weapon and adopt people as her children/heirs based on their bravery and martial skills, then breaking the arms of a daughter she barely acknowledges as her family and throwing her into a pit is hardly surprising.

Edit: Also, Syphile's words have reached to her. The thing is that she's treating Ariel with more care because she's still so young. With her, Quain'tana has a chance to maybe do something better. Her relation with Mel'arnach is that of enemies however. There aren't any genuine second chances between them and no way to make things right.
HidingGoblin
Summoner

Location: Somewhere I can pretend to know anything about anything
Clan: Sarghress

Next

Return to General Discussion