For general community discussion.

Grammar/Spelling mistakes thread

Re: Grammar/Spelling mistakes thread

Postby ChelianTeaParty » Thu May 10, 2012 12:11 am

Well, normally that would be true, but the lords and magistrates of Lingua didn't think that the garden was important enough to capitalize its name on their official documents. Besides, it doesn't get many visitors these days. It's kind of hidden away in a greenhouse behind a coffee shop, in a small courtyard surrounded by decaying, condemned tenement buildings, where it only receives sunlight for a couple of hours each day (which is good, since commas are like potatoes in that they become toxic when exposed to excessive ultraviolet radiation).

The only way to get there is through a back door that virtually nobody uses, since the doors leading into the tenement buildings have long since been boarded up. The patrons of the coffee shop always have this surprised look on their faces when they see someone hauling a wheelbarrow right through the middle of the place. You could say that the owner and I have an agreement of sorts. I heard the barista there likes to use exclamation marks as a garnish for his desserts. Never tried them, though.
Last edited by ChelianTeaParty on Thu May 10, 2012 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
ChelianTeaParty
Nether Seed

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Jiharn » Thu May 10, 2012 12:20 am

Ah, I see. Those official documents are quite persnickety, always forcing those exceptions to the regular order of things. I recommend trying an exclamation mark every now and then, though. Those things are like a fine spice: a light touch in the right place just enhances the whole taste! And, like with a fine spice, you shouldn't overdo it. The use of multiple exclamation marks will make people think you have a diseased mind.
Jiharn
Vel'akar

Postby ChelianTeaParty » Thu May 10, 2012 12:32 am

I've had ground-up exclamation marks before, but on toast rather than the iced treats they serve at the Barbarian. They are indeed a bit spicy at first, but with a bitter, astringent aftertaste. Sort of like cinnamon or nutmeg, or somewhere in-between. I've seen the barista there serving that stuff, and he uses way, way too much. The coffee's good, though.
ChelianTeaParty
Nether Seed

Postby ChelianTeaParty » Thu May 10, 2012 6:13 pm

Chapter 37, Page 19:

Panel 1, Bubble 3:

"For now he does." < Original Line

"For now, he is." /ex: Added comma; Ariel said "he's", a contraction of "he is" (if she said "he commands" instead of "he's in command", then "he does" would be correct, but then Ariel's line would sound really awkward)

--------------------------------------------------

Panel 1, Bubble 4:

"But listen to your big sister Kyo. You may someday command tens of thousands with a hundred fold that in commoners seeking protection from the Black Sun and Hermionne hordes." < Original Line

"But listen to your big sister Kyo. You may someday command tens of thousands, with a hundred fold that number in commoners seeking protection from the Black Sun and Hermionne hordes." /ex: Added comma; added "number", for clarity

Panel 3, Bubble 1:

"Sar'nel don't see it but I've lived with the commoners for eight years now. Slaves are not enough! The clans need the commoners. When they become too poor, when they cannot eat then they cannot pay tribute nor work for the clans and their Val class." < Original Line

"Sar'nel doesn't see it, but I've lived with the commoners for eight years now. Slaves are not enough! The clans need the commoners. When they become too poor, when they cannot eat, then they can neither pay tribute nor work for the clans and their Val class." /ex: Changed "don't" to "doesn't" (unless that's just her accent at work); Added two commas; "nor" forms a pair with "neither", so the sentence was adjusted to compensate

Panel 3, Bubble 2:

"The whole system collapses. Val and commoners fall together." < Original Line

"The whole system collapses. Val and commoner alike fall together." /ex: Number agreement issue(?) (Unless Val is technically both singular and plural, like "deer"; I've seen "Vals" used before, but that might be a colloquialism employed by certain characters)

Panel 6, Bubble 1:

"I want to understand though. I want to see the world and help." < Original Line

"I want to understand, though. I want to see the world, and help." /ex: Added two commas [Comment: Holy crap, look at Kyo's face in the next panel! Ikari Gendo would be proud.]
ChelianTeaParty
Nether Seed

Postby ChelianTeaParty » Sat May 12, 2012 6:59 am

Chapter 37, Page Chibi:

Panel 4, Bubble 2:

"Aw Faen, it's in my blood. My whole familly is tall." < Original Line

"Aw Faen, it's in my blood. My whole family is tall." /ex: Corrected typo ("familly" > "family")

Panel 4, Bubble 4:

"Maybe your blood's strenght jumped a generation?" < Original Line

"Maybe your blood's strength jumped a generation?" /ex: Corrected typo ("strenght" > "strength")

Panel 4, Bubble 5:

"You just got the tinyness trait in between." < Original Line

"You just got the tininess trait in-between." /ex: Alternate spelling ("tinyness" > "tininess"); hyphenated "in between"
ChelianTeaParty
Nether Seed

Postby Shoedrinker » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:31 am

Chapter 38, Page 18:

Panel 6 (Kau's dialogue):

"Shala is coming this way. If she encounter a Vloz..." < Original Line

Suggested alternatives:

"Shala is coming this way. If she encounters a Vloz..." /ex: Corrected typo (Lack of s at the end of verb).

"Shala is coming this way. If she were to encounter a Vloz..." /ex: (Other option to phrase that sentence).
Last edited by Shoedrinker on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoedrinker
Summoner

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Shoedrinker » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:20 pm

Chapter 38, Page 17:

Panel 2:

"No hard feeings, see, I let you all crash in my place". < Original Line

Correction:

"No hard feelings, see, I let you all crash in my place" /ex: Corrected typo (Lack of l in feelings).
Shoedrinker
Summoner

Postby valesse » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:24 am

Chapter 38: Page 43
Panel 5

Original Line:
"Me and Faen sealed all of them. Well, more like I sealed all of them and she played the juicy bait."

Correction:
"Faen and I sealed all of them. Well, more like I sealed all of them and she played the juicy bait."

Explanation:
As the subject of her sentence, Shala must use "I" in order to be grammatically correct. This grammatical mistake is probably one of the most rampant in the English language, and as she is a youth I can imagine her using "Me and--" just because she's not paying attention. I just imagine Sil'lice would have formalities like that beaten into her kids. ^^;
valesse
Nether Seed

Postby Eltharrion » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:52 am

Chapter 38, Chibi parody 1
First panel, first bubble.
(Also, after checking, same misspelling can be found at same chapter, page 36, third panel, second bubble)

"Lady... Ysmir? Is that's you?"

Correction:
"Lady... Ysmir? Is that you?"

Right now, he's asking "is that is you?", which is incorrect, as there are two copulas directing to single subject, and removing either one is possible, as one can ask "is that you?" or "that is you?" (shortened version of "that is you, I presume?" or something similar).

Also, after more checking, I have also found another misspelling on chapter 38's page 36, third panel, first bubble:

"Arms the slaves!"

Correction:
"Arm the slaves!" (There is no plural, or "to arms!" here)
Eltharrion
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Venom-Host-Agato » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:18 pm

Well I would like to point out that there are quite a few grammer errors you make that has the people talking like cavemen and women.
Venom-Host-Agato
Nether Seed

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby S.K. Ren » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:40 pm

Ch 39 Chibi Page 4

1st Panel: Grammar is fine

2nd Panel: Should either be "...she has to stop..." or "...she's got to stop..." or "...she has got to stop..." for past progressive tense. If you want to imply strictly past tense then "...she had to stop..." would be the proper correction.

3rd Panel: Should be "Did you just teach them..." or simply "You taught them..." dropping the 'just'.
S.K. Ren
Summoner

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby alkaizer87 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:01 am

On Shan's Sheet in Chapter 42: Page 8

WHETER->WHETHER...I'm pretty sure that's how you spell it.
"...OR TRUST WHAT HE FEEL IS RIGHT."->"...OR TRUST WHAT HE FEELS IS RIGHT."
"...NEVER GET THE ANSWER."->"...NEVER GET THE ANSWER TO."
"OF LATE DUE TO HIS NEW ASSIGNMENTS. HE..."->"OF LATE DUE TO HIS NEW ASSIGNMENTS, HE..."
The last one I know for sure needs to be correct. On it's own it can't be a sentence, hence you can't use the period.
alkaizer87
Vel'akar

Location: At home with 3 of Vaelia's kids: 1 girl and 2 boys.
Clan: Sarghress

Postby Strossus » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:22 am

alkaizer87 wrote:On Shan's Sheet in Chapter 42: Page 8

WHETER->WHETHER...I'm pretty sure that's how you spell it.
"...OR TRUST WHAT HE FEEL IS RIGHT."->"...OR TRUST WHAT HE FEELS IS RIGHT."
"...NEVER GET THE ANSWER."->"...NEVER GET THE ANSWER TO."
"OF LATE DUE TO HIS NEW ASSIGNMENTS. HE..."->"OF LATE DUE TO HIS NEW ASSIGNMENTS, HE..."
The last one I know for sure needs to be correct. On it's own it can't be a sentence, hence you can't use the period.

That and there should be a break between "late" and "due".
When spoken, there is a pause there.

So something like:
"Of late, due to his new assignments, he..."

*note*
I only offer this as an opinion.
I'm most assuredly not an expert of either syntax or grammar.
And my spelling is frequently subject to skepticism.
Hell, my logic is usually flawed as well.

*edit*
After reading the source in question, there is quite a lot needing correction there.
But I'm certainly not qualified for the task. ;)
Strossus
Demon

Postby Moatl » Mon May 20, 2013 12:13 pm

chapter 42, page 37
panel 8

»There's people approaching.«

I'm not shure if this is an error since I'm no native speaker, but I will tend more to write »There are people approaching.« here. But it's possible that I'm wrong with this. But somehow it sounds odd to me.
I know »people« is the singular of »peoples«. Since peple is the singular it's really likely that it's correct. But I can't decide for myself it »people« is meant as »persons« or »one group of persons«.

Plus: I can't help, but in the singular version the structure of the sentence reminds me to the stoning-scene in Monty Python's Life of Brian... XD
Maybe that's why.
Moatl
Vel'akar

Postby Talancir » Wed May 22, 2013 2:41 pm

ch.42, p.039

Spelled Lysire's name wrong. you spelled it as "Lysere."
Talancir
Vel'akar

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Previous