For general community discussion.

Grammar/Spelling mistakes thread

Re: Grammar/Spelling mistakes thread

Postby Finn MacCool » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:01 pm

chapter: 36

page: CivilWar08

panel: 1

or: "Common's house ; upstair."

sb: "Commoner house, upstairs."/ex: just another suggestion what "Common's house" could be replaced with; superfluous blank after "house"; (possibly) wrong punctuation mark

or: "You can rest Lidia, l'll bring her the food."

sb: "You can rest, Lidia. I'll bring her the food."/ex: missing comma; probably wrong punctuation mark

panel: footer

or: "By Kern, Jemma, Tanquil and darkvolt - drowtales.com"

sb: "By Kern, Jemma, Tranquil and darkvolt - drowtales.com"/ex: missing "r"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

page: CivilWar09

panel: 3

or: "Just take the cores, there is nothing else of value here."

sb: "Just take the cores. There is nothing else of value here."/ex: possibly wrong punctuation mark

panel: 4

or: "You are alright, brother?"

sb: "You are alright, Brother?"/ex: "brother" needs to be capitalized in this case (also, changing "You are alright" to "Are you alright" may be worth a thought)

or: "I have killed no one yet."

sb: "I haven't killed anyone yet."/ex: the current wording is not necessarily wrong, but it does sound odd

panel: 5

(or: "You know the war is over between Balsii and Nega right?"

sb: "You know the war is over between Balsii and Nega, right?"/ex: missing comma)

or: "Nega has declared a general armistice."

sb: "Nega has declared a general amnesty."/ex: probably wrong word

(or: "But, she says because we got infected that we'd be-"

sb: "But she says because we got infected, that we'd be-"/ex: (possibly) superfluous comma; probably missing comma (also, it might be better to put the "that" behind "says" or leave it out completely)

panel: footer

or: "By Kern, Jemma, Tanquil and darkvolt - drowtales.com"

sb: "By Kern, Jemma, Tranquil and darkvolt - drowtales.com"/ex: missing "r"
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Finn MacCool » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:11 pm

page: CivilWar10

panel: 1

or: "The sullissin,..."

sb: "The Sullisin,..."/ex: "sullis(s)in" needs to be capitalized; superfluous "s" (also, this abbreviation may or may not need a plural "s" at the end)

or: "That...was a bloody mess."

sb: "That...is a bloody mess."/ex: (possibly) wrong tense

or: "It is not for you to judge, Vel Sharen."

sb: "It is not for you to judge, Vel'Sharen."/ex: missing apostrophe

or: "It is true, we have too many foreigners meddling in our affairs of late."

sb: "It is true. We have too many foreigners meddling in our affairs of late."/ex: possibly wrong punctuation mark

panel: 2

or: "Learn moderation, Duskian, her death could have waited a few minutes."

sb: "Learn moderation, Duskian. Her death could have waited a few minutes."/ex: probably wrong punctuation mark

or: "Dusk is not part of your alliance, I follow my own creed."

sb: "Dusk is not part of your alliance. I follow my own creed."/ex: probably wrong punctuation mark

or: "Calm yourself, brother."

sb: "Calm yourself, Brother."/ex: "brother" needs to be capitalized in this case

panel: 6

or: "You are the golem expert, what can we do to help?"

sb: "You are the golem expert. What can we do to help?"/ex: probably wrong punctuation mark
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Postby Finn MacCool » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:33 am

page: CivilWar11

(or: "Fuck fuck fuck fuck FUCK!"

sb: "Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, FUCK!"/ex: (probably) missing commas)

or: "Fuck the Illhardro!"

sb: "Fuck the Illhar'dro!"/ex: missing apostrophe

or: "I'm starving Lidia, get your ass over here already!"

sb: "I'm starving, Lidia! Get your ass over here already!"/ex: missing comma: probably wrong punctuation mark
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Postby Finn MacCool » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:56 am

page: CivilWar14

or: "AN'JIN?"

sb: "ANJIN?"/ex: superfluous apostrophe (at least according to page 29 of chapter 34)

(panel: footer

or: "by Kern, Jemma, Tranquil, darkvolt - drowtales.com"

sb: "By Kern, Jemma, Tranquil, darkvolt - drowtales.com"/ex: not really a mistake, just a deviation from the norm)
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Postby Finn MacCool » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:10 am

page: CivilWar15

or: "The golem stopped moving!"

sb: "The golem has stopped moving!"/ex: probably wrong tense

or: "The thing is out of mana, it won't be moving anytime soon."

sb: "The thing is out of mana. It won't be moving anytime soon."/ex: possibly wrong punctuation mark

or: "Yup, the pilot made herself a nice tomb."

sb: "Yup, the pilot has made herself a nice tomb."/ex: (possibly) wrong tense

or: "I figured they might be running low after so long on the field."

sb: "I figured they might be running low after so long in the field."/ex: possibly wrong preposition
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Postby Finn MacCool » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:18 pm

page: CivilWar16

panel: 1/2

(or: "..., I've never had the chance to fight real battles with my duty as courier being in the way."

sb: "..., I've never had the chance to fight real battles, with my duty as courier being in the way."/ex: (possibly) missing comma)

or: "There's no "If", overseer!"

sb: "There's no "if", overseer!"/ex: "if" needs to be lowercased

or: "I've overhead your mother offering mine a position in Chel."

sb: "I've overheard your mother offering mine a position in Chel."/ex: missing "r"

(or: "A Val one no less."

sb: "A Val one, no less."/ex: (probably) missing comma)

or: "Spying on one's leader is a Nuqrahn tradition."

sb: "Spying on one's leader is a Nuqrah'sharian tradition." or maybe "Spying on one's leader is a Nuqran tradition."/ex: not necessarily a mistake, but up to now it's mostly been "Nuqrah'sharian" and, on one occasion, "Nuqran"

or: "Empress Zala'ess offered my matriarch the very same."

sb: "Empress Zala'ess has offered my matriarch the very same."/ex: probably wrong tense

panel: 8

or: "To be continued in chapter 37"

sb: "To be continued in chapter 37."/ex: probably missing period
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Postby Finn MacCool » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:53 am

page: CivilWarChibi

or: "Look damaged enough to me."

sb: "Looks damaged enough to me."/ex: wrong number

(or: "More importantly we have the area secured."

sb: "More importantly, we have the area secured."/ex: missing comma)

or: "If every rebels in the sector missed the rampaging golem, now they certainly know we're here after that giant flare."

sb: "If any rebels in the sector missed the rampaging golem, now they certainly know we're here, after that giant flare." or maybe "If all the rebels in the sector missed the rampaging golem, now they certainly know we're here, after that giant flare."/ex: wrong word; possibly missing comma

or: "what are you-"

sb: "What are you-"/ex: "what" needs to be capitalized here

panel: 6

or: "In my pants."

sb: "From my pants."/ex: given that this a reply to nau's question from panel 4, the preposition is wrong

or: "It's baggy for a reason."

sb: "They're baggy for a reason."/ex: wrong number

or: "No brother, it is just the Nuqrahns."

sb: "No, Brother, it is just the Nuqrah'sharians." or maybe "No, Brother, it is just the Nuqran."/ex: missing comma; "brother" needs to be capitalized in this case; not necessarily a mistake, but up to now it's mostly been "Nuqrah'sharian(s)" and, on one occasion, "Nuqran"
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Postby Finn MacCool » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:22 pm

page: 11th anniversary

(panel: 4

or: "Whaaat's up guys!?

sb: "Whaaat's up, guys!?/ex: missing comma

or: "Damn it's been a while."

sb: "Damn, it's been a while."/ex: missing comma)

or: "..., I think someone have had a hard time lately."

sb: "..., I think someone has had a hard time lately."/ex: wrong number

(or: "'Sup Ariel?"

sb: "'Sup, Ariel?"/ex: missing comma)

or: "..., ii wuuuh braiiin!"

sb: "..., Ii wuuuh braiiin!" or maybe "..., II wuuuh braiiin!"/ex: "ii" (probably) needs to be capitalized

(panel: 6

or: "That bad eh?"

sb: "That bad, eh?"/ex: missing comma)

panel: 8

or: "Don't be so gloomy, it's your birthday, big girl!"

sb: "Don't be so gloomy. It's your birthday, big girl!"/ex: probably wrong punctuation mark

(panel: 9

or: "17 APRIL 2012 : DROWTALES 11TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL."

sb: "17 APRIL 2012: DROWTALES 11TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL."/ex: superfluous blank after "2012" (also, i'm not quite sure about the word order after the colon))

panel: 10

or: "The one that gain the most support will be serialized into a new webcomic."

sb: "The one that gains the most support will be turned into a new webcomic."/ex: superfluous blank after "that" (that the forum doesn't display); wrong number; (possibly) wrong verb

panel: 11

or: "A flaw of Moonless age is it massive cast of characters and plot that take a long time to unfold."

sb: "A flaw of Moonless Age is its massive cast of characters and its plot that takes a long time to unfold." or maybe "A flaw of Moonless Age is its massive cast of characters and a plot that takes a long time to unfold."/ex: "age" needs to be capitalized in this case; missing "s"; (probably) missing pronoun or article; wrong number (also, it might be a good idea to replace the "and" with "combined with". otherwise, it rather sounds like two flaws)

or: "This mean that some chapters would be drawn in a different style from the usual, a sacrifice in art quality yes,..."

sb: "This means that some chapters would be drawn in a style different from the usual. A sacrifice in art quality, yes,..."/ex: wrong number; probably wrong word order; wrong punctuation mark; missing comma

(or: "With the story thus flowing faster it would also allow for a quicker turnaround of characters."

sb: "With the story thus flowing faster, it would also allow for a quicker turnaround of characters."/ex: missing comma (also, i'm not quite sure if "turnaround" is the right word here))

or: "Long term readers may remember chapter 19 being one such experiment."

sb: "Long-term readers may remember chapter 19 being one such experiment."/ex: missing hyphen

or: "Just go to the news' poll and..."

sb: "Just go to the news poll and..."/ex: superfluous apostrophe

panel: 12

or: "To choose only one winner was a very difficult choice."

sb: "To choose only one winner was a very difficult task."/ex: wrong word

or: "Solandy's won"

sb: "Solandy's won!"/ex: missing punctuation mark

panel: 13

or: "The addition of this new archive also increase the updates of Daydream!"

sb: "The addition of this new archive also increases the number of updates of Daydream!"/ex: wrong number; missing words (also, with the changes, "for Daydream" may be better than "of Daydream")

panel: 14

or: "..., design was streamlined, all clans, characters and stories made fully up to date."

sb: "..., the design was streamlined, the articles for all clans, characters and stories were made fully up to date."/ex: probably missing article; (possibly) missing words; probably missing auxiliary

or: "The WIKI team invite the drowtales members to contribute by submitting new material in the world setting forum."

sb: "The WIKI team invites the Drowtales members to contribute by submitting new material in the world setting forum."/ex: (probably) wrong number; "Drowtales" needs to be capitalized (also, writing (just) "wiki" all in caps seems a bit pointless. i suggest either writing it normally or writing "team" all in caps as well. furthermore, "Drowtales community members" would be more logical than just "Drowtales members", i think.)

panel: 15

or: "The updated design of Path to power is ready with two noble families background."

sb: "The updated design of Path to Power is ready, with two noble family backgrounds."/ex: "power" needs to be capitalized in this case; (probably) missing comma; wrong number; wrong number

or: "It will be implemented soon , with the game to be made free through a new colonist tier ."

sb: "It will be implemented soon, with the game being made free through a new colonist tier."/ex: superfluous blank after "soon"; probably wrong wording; superfluous blank after "tier"

(or: "FOR MORE DETAILS CHECK OUT THE NEWS..."

sb: "FOR MORE DETAILS, CHECK OUT THE NEWS..."/ex: (probably) missing comma)

since my free time is likely to decrease in the near future and the corrections here aren't applied anway, i hereby end my regular reports for the time being.
let's see how long it takes for this thread to drop off the first page.^^
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Postby Kalegion » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:03 am

Ch 37, pg 1

It should be "22nd," not "22th."
Kalegion
Demon

Postby Argron » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:41 pm

Not in the comic, in the main page, the daydream banner says:
"New daydream website
New interface, new fonctionalities"
Argron
Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby alkaizer87 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:58 am

Moonless Age: Chapter 37: Page 11

Panel 4:

Kyo- Original: It's not my words Pretty.
Suggestion: If Pretty is the name of the servant then->It's not my words, Pretty.
You can also do this-> They're not my words, Pretty.

If it's not the servants name then this-->It's not that my words were pretty. Or-> It's not that my words are pretty.
alkaizer87
Vel'akar

Location: At home with 3 of Vaelia's kids: 1 girl and 2 boys.
Clan: Sarghress

Postby Jiharn » Sat May 05, 2012 4:40 pm

Oh, I didn't notice that Finn had to take a break from here for a while. So that's why the thread wasn't at the top. I'll try to help fill in for what's been missed, then!

Chapter 37:

Page: 14

Panel: 3

or: "They'd figured it out eventually."

sb: "They'd figure it out eventually." /ex: The main verb that is paired with "would" is always the infinitive form of the verb, and not past tense.

panel 6:

or: "Woa there, enough with the courting,"

sb: "Whoa there, enough with the courting,"

Chapter: 37

Page: 15

Panel: 5

or: "Sarv'swati push back equaly."

sb: "Sarv'swati pushes back equally." /ex: "Push" here would apply for a plural subject, and "pushes" matches the singular subject ("Sarv'Swati"). "Equally" is just the correct spelling.

Panel: 6/7

or: "Right after Zala'ess own disappearance."

sb: "Right after Zala'ess's own disappearance." /ex: Possessive
Jiharn
Vel'akar

Postby ChelianTeaParty » Mon May 07, 2012 6:11 am

Alright, I'll try my hand at this (note, this is going to have a lot of in-depth style edits in addition to typo fixes, so take it with a grain of salt. I do, however, attempt to stay true to the spirit of the source material, and avoid overruns that would result in larger word bubbles):

Chapter 37, Page 15:

Panel 4, Bubble 2:

"Because your mother, Sillice , is a paragon of virtue? Even if the rumors your clans spread about the empress being dead and about a fake ruling in her name are true, she is still the worst of the warmongers, second only to Sarv'swati." < Original Line

"Because your mother is a paragon of virtue? Even if the rumors your clans spread about the Empress being dead and an impostor ruling in her name are true, Sillice is among the worst of the warmongers, second only to Sarv'swati." /ex: Moved Sillice's name; capitalized Empress; changed wording in second sentence for clarity (can't be the worst if you're only second-worst)

--------------------------------------------------

Panel 4, Bubble 3:

"Yeah, that ice queen is so deep in blood she is as crimson as your Sarghress flag!" < Original Line

"Yeah, that ice queen is so deep in blood, she is as crimson as your Sarghress flag!" /ex: Added comma

Panel 4, Bubble 4:

"Everytime she and Quain'tana make a push, Sarv'swati push back equaly. It just keeps escalating!" < Original Line

"Every time she and Quain'tana make a push, Sarv'swati pushes back equally. It just keeps escalating!" /ex: Spelling/Grammar fixes. "Everytime" > "Every time". "Push" > "Pushes". "Equaly" > "Equally". [Comment: Sarv's played too much BF3; I see she's been goin' around knifing people and taking their dog tags. What are those? Charms?]

Panel 4, Bubble 5:

"Nishi'kanta ran away a few days ago, no one knows where, right after Zala'ess own disappearance. Likely gone with that Vel'Sharen army rumored to be in Nuqrah'shareh." < Original Line

"Nishi'kanta fled a few days ago to Goddess knows where, right after Zala'ess's own departure, likely accompanying that Vel'Sharen army said to be in Nuqrah'shareh." /ex: Grammar/Style edit; adolescents run away, adults flee; parenthetical commas can break up text in some rather uncomfortable ways; changed Zala'ess to possessive form; changed disappearance to departure (just because someone drops off the map in Chel, that doesn't necessarily mean that their face is bound to show up on a milk carton; by that standard, Ariel's search for Faen could be counted as a "disappearance" by the Sharen, if they bothered to keep tabs on her location); condensed "gone with" into "accompanying"; that's a lot of rumors and hearsay, so I went with a fairly close synonym to keep the sentence flowing (optional, of course)

Panel 4, Bubble 6:

"That leaves ONLY Snadhya'rune as legitimate heir to the empire. The ONLY one advocating peace. Both in words and actions." < Original Line

"That leaves ONLY Snadhya'rune as legitimate heir to the empire. The ONLY one advocating peace, both in word and deed." /ex: Minor style edit [Comment: I laughed my ass off reading this. How can Kyo say this with a straight face? That's like saying that Stalin's the right man for the job, because he's stallin'.]

Chapter 37, Page 16:

Panel 4, Bubble 2:

"I heard it from someone who know someone who has contact with the Sharen slaves." < Original Line

"I heard it from someone who knows someone who has contact with the Sharen slaves." /ex: Third-Person Singular Simple Present Tense

"I heard it from a friend of a friend who has contact with the Sharen slaves." /ex: Optional Rewording (Possibly inappropriate; who says Kyo's friends with her informant?)

Panel 4, Bubble 4:

"Pwah, Zala'ess need allies. Wouldn't surprise me if she took her elder sister along for support. Whatever she may be doing in Kyo's homeland." < Original Line

"Pwah, Zala'ess needs allies. Wouldn't surprise me if she took her elder sister along to assist in whatever she may be doing in Kyo's homeland." /ex: Third-Person Singular Simple Present Tense, Fragmented Sentence

Panel 5, Bubble 4:

"Later please." < Original Line

"Later, please." /ex: Needs Comma

Panel 6, Bubble 1:

"There is something else. Do you remember the lands we've traveled through in search for Faen so many years ago?" < Original Line

"There is something else. Do you remember the lands we traveled in search of Faen so many years ago?" /ex: Grammar/Stylistic

Panel 6, Bubble 3:

"Nagyescsed, the halmes land." < Original Line

"Nagyescsed, the halmes' land." /ex: Proper nouns with the possessive plural form occasionally need a bare apostrophe at the end

Panel 6, Bubble 4:

"Even back then they were at war against a new race from beyond the ocean. Hermionnes; tall, red, hairy beastmen that are far more advanced than the little halmes we're used to deal with." < Original Line

"Even back then, they warred against a new race from beyond the ocean. Hermionnes; tall, red, hairy beastmen that are far more advanced than the little halmes we're used to dealing with." /ex: Grammar/Stylistic; added comma; "were at war against" sounds a little odd; should be "were at war with", or "waged war with", or "warred against"; "deal" should be "dealing"

Panel 6, Bubble 5:

"They brought boats filled with war engines, cut bare entire forests and conquered every halme city state one after the other for the last two centuries." < Original Line

"They arrived in flotillas bearing war engines, stripped entire forests, and conquered every halme city-state over the course of the past two centuries." /ex: Grammar/Stylistic; "brought boats" sounds a little awkward, as if they swam across the sea and tugged the boats behind them with ropes (then again, I wouldn't put it past the Drow to lack proper seafaring terminology, given that they basically live in a giant cave network with little in the way of open bodies of water and only small artificial lakes and canals); changed to serial comma; added hyphen to city-state; various wording changes

Panel 6, Bubble 6:

"Now, even Nagyescsed is no more. Worse, these Hermionnes come south of the Great Wall in countless numbers to forage into the wastelands. It's just a question of time before they reach our colonies on the rim of the mist sea." < Original Line

"Now, even Nagyescsed is no more. Worse, these Hermionnes come south of the Great Wall in countless numbers to forage the wastelands. It's only a matter of time before they discover our colonies on the rim of the mist sea." /ex: Minor wording changes; "forage into the wastelands" should be "forage in the wastelands" or just "forage the wastelands"; normally, I'd welcome alternatives to the cliched "matter of time" with open arms, but in this case, it seems to flow better (totally optional, though); the Hermionnes won't merely "reach" these places, but also gain knowledge of them, and all that implies [Comment: LOL, just send Ariel and Chiri to pwn them]
ChelianTeaParty
Nether Seed

Postby ChelianTeaParty » Wed May 09, 2012 6:20 am

I brought a wheelbarrow from the garden of grammar. It's filled to the brim with fresh-picked, tasty commas *heehee*:

Chapter 37, Page 17:

Panel 2, Bubble 1:

"If every Sarghress think like you do then the colonies are in serious danger. We need Sarghress help. You have the most experienced troops for old world warfare." < Original Line

"If every Sarghress thinks like you do, then the colonies are in serious danger. We need Sarghress help. You have the most experienced troops for old world warfare." /ex: Fixed tense; added comma

Panel 5, Bubble 1:

"When the district war is over, then we can help. For now you better hope my "bloody" mother wins the war for you." < Original Line

"When the district war is over, then we can help. For now, you better hope my "bloody" mother wins the war for you." /ex: Added comma

Panel 5, Bubble 2:

"Because if we fail your colony is stuck with Vels who don't give a shit about the common people." < Original Line

"Because if we fail, your colony is stuck with Vels who don't give a shit about the common people." /ex: Added comma

Panel 6, Bubble 1:

"Remember what the Halmes did to Faen. How they fear us. How they'd want to exterminate us. The Hermionnes are ten times worse Ariel. I hope you like your underworld grown food because this is all that the Sarghress will ever eat if the beastmen wins." < Original Line

"Remember what the Halmes did to Faen. How they fear us. How they'd want to exterminate us. The Hermionnes are ten times worse, Ariel. I hope you like your underworld-grown food, because this is all that the Sarghress will ever eat if the beastmen win." /ex: Added two commas; added hyphen between "underworld" and "grown"; fixed tense

Panel 7, Bubble 1:

"I'll... speak with Quill'yate once she return with the Raiders. I'm sure she's knows more than any of us. And... I'll slip a word about Ys." < Original Line

"I'll... speak with Quill'yate once she returns with the Raiders. I'm sure she knows more than any of us. And... I'll slip in a word about Ys." /ex: Fixed tense/possessive case; added missing word(?)

Chapter 37, Page 18:

Panel 1, Bubble 1:

"Aw come on, we're talking about Snadhya'rune's colony here!" < Original Line

"Aw, come on, we're talking about Snadhya'rune's colony here!" /ex: Added comma

Panel 1, Bubble 2:

"If anything, the raiders ought attack it." < Original Line

"If anything, the raiders ought to attack it." /ex: Added missing word

Panel 2, Bubble 3:

"Khal please don't-" < Original Line

"Khal, please don't-" /ex: Added comma

Panel 3, Bubble 1:

"I'm Shala Val of Sharen." < Original Line

"I'm Shala, Val of Sharen." /ex: Added comma

Panel 3, Bubble 2:

"I and every Sarghress sisters at arms that I honor and respect will fight to banish those motherkilling Vels out of our homes!" < Original Line

"I and every Sarghress sister at arms that I honor and respect will fight to banish those motherkilling Vels out of our homes!" /ex: Fixed number agreement

Panel 3, Bubble 3:

"Be it here or at the colonies. There will be no compromise with the worst traitor of Chel's history. You got me Illhar'dro?!" < Original Line

"Be it here or at the colonies, there will be no compromise with the worst traitor of Chel's history. You got me, Illhar'dro?!" /ex: Merged sentence fragment; added comma

Panel 4, Bubble 1:

"Come brother!" < Original Line

"Come, brother!" /ex: Added comma

Panel 5, Bubble 2:

"Oooh, touchy bitch that one." < Original Line

"Oooh, touchy bitch, that one." /ex: Added comma
Last edited by ChelianTeaParty on Wed May 09, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChelianTeaParty
Nether Seed

Postby Jiharn » Wed May 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Page 65, post 713869:

or: "I brought a wheelbarrow from the garden of grammar."

sb: "I brought a wheelbarrow from the Garden of Grammar." /ex: This appears to be the name of a specific place and should thus be capitalized.

:D?

The commas sound tasty, though. But don't forget to use to use all the warehouse's leftovers from comma splices!
Jiharn
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion