For general community discussion.

New Web-Design

Re: New Web-Design

Postby Alric » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:53 pm

I've also noticed another problem recently...I can't post images from elsewhere (deviantart, photobucket, etc.) When I try to make a post with an image it tells me that the forum can't determine the dimensions of the image.
Alric
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Kern » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:19 pm

kIte has set a maximum size of 1000x1000 for picture that you wish to post. To avoid oversized images.
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Alric » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:11 pm

This image was much smaller, only 750x651.
Alric
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Kite » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:16 pm

images linked from deviantart (and other sites that modify the image link somehow?) wouldn't work for some reason. test to see if it works now. :)
also, like I mentioned in the other thread, I've uploaded a widescreen version of the new forum skin, which you can find in the control panel -> board preferences.
Kite
Mary Garren

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Finn MacCool » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:22 pm

Vilx- wrote:Well, I don't know what changed during the last few weeks - the forum and blog are Kite's domain. And the change might as well have been on your end.

Anyways, I don't think that there will be any better solution than using another skin. Beauty has a price and slow old computers are slow old computers. That's why there are the less resource-consuming skins.

Well... if you insist in pursuing this problem, here's a list of ideas:
  • Does the slowness begin when a certain page element is scrolled into view? Can you identify this element?
  • Do things get better when you disable javascript in your browser?
  • In Task Manager, when things get slow, what seems to be the bottleneck? CPU or RAM? That is, does the CPU spike to 100%, or is the RAM filled up? (Don't look at the percent, compare the "Commit Charge - Total" with "Physical Memory - Total")

i don't insist (it isn't THAT bad and maybe installing firefox 4.0 will help), i just thought you might be interested in optimizing the site a little.
but to answer your questions:
1. it's always there, but large pictures increase it.
2. i didn't notice much of a difference on a variety of pages.
3. it's definitely the CPU. when i scroll fast, it bounces around between about 5% and 100% while the RAM pretty much stays at 420 mb (e.g.).
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Tanis Half-Munchken » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:44 pm

I must point out this new design doesn't like 1080 x 1920 very much …

I'd show you, but my ftp space just shut down. :(
Tanis Half-Munchken
Nether Seed

Location: On the lookout for ether Dragonslicer or Mournblade

Postby Vilx- » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:20 pm

Finn MacCool wrote:i don't insist (it isn't THAT bad and maybe installing firefox 4.0 will help), i just thought you might be interested in optimizing the site a little.
but to answer your questions:
1. it's always there, but large pictures increase it.
2. i didn't notice much of a difference on a variety of pages.
3. it's definitely the CPU. when i scroll fast, it bounces around between about 5% and 100% while the RAM pretty much stays at 420 mb (e.g.).

Looks like images then... Firefox has an option "Load images automatically" (Under Tools->Options->Content). Uncheck it, refresh the page, and no images will be loaded. Is it faster then?

Also - Windows will always keep a bit of RAM "unused" which is actually used for its internal filesystem caches and other stuff. What is the "Commit Charge - total"?
Vilx-
Summoner

Clan: Valley'gurl

Postby H'K'Maly » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:21 pm

alkaizer87 wrote:Guys and Girls. I like the new design, as said before, but there are a lot of problems. ONe is the avis, two is the that when you look at the manga you can see what the previous and page was. I find this useful so I know whether or not I've actualyl missed anything. Also three, if you get a new message from someone it's ahrd to see if oyu have one, because the word 'ARCHIVES' kind of blocks out how many new messages you have. So becuase of this it could have 1, 2 or 0 messages. Can still see it, but harder to tell. IOverarll, the home page ios cool but other parts aren't that great.

I second the note about usefullness of previous manga page thumbnail and add another about missing link to forum which was also in left column and leaded directly to Manga.

Also about the forum desing ... where is the link to egosearch? I consider it cheap alternative to subscription/bookmarking.
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar

Postby alkaizer87 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:50 am

As said by Maly, the previous page thumbnail preview thingy is useful. Add please?EDIT: Also i miss the title thingy, I think I was....a nether demon? I don't remember, but tyeah the miniture titles were fun XD
alkaizer87
Vel'akar

Location: At home with 3 of Vaelia's kids: 1 girl and 2 boys.

Postby Raziel » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:58 am

alkaizer87 wrote:As said by Maly, the previous page thumbnail preview thingy is useful. Add please?EDIT: Also i miss the title thingy, I think I was....a nether demon? I don't remember, but tyeah the miniture titles were fun XD

You mean youre title, or youre picture, because I think in that one you were a golden knight fighting the bitch tech. ^^
Raziel
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby alkaizer87 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:17 am

Raziel wrote:
alkaizer87 wrote:As said by Maly, the previous page thumbnail preview thingy is useful. Add please?EDIT: Also i miss the title thingy, I think I was....a nether demon? I don't remember, but tyeah the miniture titles were fun XD

You mean youre title, or youre picture, because I think in that one you were a golden knight fighting the bitch tech. ^^

talking about the title. the ones that say stuff liike: dark chibi lord, nether demon, and such. The ones that change according to howm any posts you have...
alkaizer87
Vel'akar

Location: At home with 3 of Vaelia's kids: 1 girl and 2 boys.

Postby Finn MacCool » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:04 am

@Vilx-:
i don't know why, but (for the moment) the scrolling's back to normal (same goes for the font of the thread titles which had changed a little for the past few weeks).
i didn't install/uninstall/update anything and didn't touch any options either on my end since i last logged in. so it's most likely due to a change on your side or somewhere in between.
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Postby Vilx- » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:27 pm

I find it more likely that you closed some open apps and freed up some RAM. But I'll ask Kite if anything was done.
Vilx-
Summoner

Clan: Valley'gurl

Postby Finn MacCool » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:53 pm

Vilx- wrote:I find it more likely that you closed some open apps and freed up some RAM.

none that i know of. and because of my computer's meager performance i always keep a close eye on the running processes.
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Postby H'K'Maly » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:48 pm

You have advanced. Your title is now Chibi and I still see it at the place where it always was.
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion