For general community discussion.

New Web-Design

Re: New Web-Design

Postby Vilx- » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:15 pm

Yeah, on my PC Firefox takes at most 5% of my CPU during those transitions. :P OK, I think I'll make another button which will allow you to turn off all the fancy transitions - both in browser and the ads. And it will remember your choice in a cookie. But it'll take a while, maybe at the end of next week or even later. Currently my priority is to fix bugs and get the subscription page under the new design as well.

As for nettops... I've no experience with those, really. If anyone can test, it would be great.

Btw - just curious - would there be a demand for a mobile version of Drowtales? Well, I can't really imagine reading the comics in a mobile phone, but then that's another area of which I don't know much about (I rarely browse the net in my phone).
Vilx-
Summoner

Clan: Valley'gurl

Postby abadidea » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:45 pm

Vilx- wrote:Yeah, on my PC Firefox takes at most 5% of my CPU during those transitions. :P OK, I think I'll make another button which will allow you to turn off all the fancy transitions - both in browser and the ads. And it will remember your choice in a cookie. But it'll take a while, maybe at the end of next week or even later. Currently my priority is to fix bugs and get the subscription page under the new design as well.

As for nettops... I've no experience with those, really. If anyone can test, it would be great.

Btw - just curious - would there be a demand for a mobile version of Drowtales? Well, I can't really imagine reading the comics in a mobile phone, but then that's another area of which I don't know much about (I rarely browse the net in my phone).

I've used Drowtales on iPad and it was alright, only thing was that on each pageload I had to drag the image over because of the thick left bar. I don't think you could make a better experience for anything particularly small-screened, since the simple fact of the matter is that DT is a full-page format.
abadidea
Demon

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Finn MacCool » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:52 pm

a truly minor bug: in the daydream description on the front page it should be "Fan service at its best." instead of "Fan service at it best."
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Lunnig149 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Like the new style, have to get used to it but it will be np :w *wee*
Lunnig149
Vel'akar

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby H'K'Maly » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:33 pm

abadidea wrote:
H'K'Maly wrote:
Vilx- wrote:Right! I missed that! Fix it ASAP.

Interesting about the banners. Will investigate that. That's actually the only piece of JS running in the whole page. The browser JS doesn't kick in at all until you activate it.

It might only happen because I have slow CPU, slow GPU or not-much-accelerating driver for GPU ... (linux, free nv). On the other hand other readers might have even slower CPU or GPU ... especialy in case of nettops or similar stuff.

Or it might be Firefox. It's not apparent in chromium.

okay now I am REALLY sorry for mentioning the cache, I feel like a moron for not being able to pick up the aura of a fellow Linux user *wee*

Well ... I should've make real bugreport with all informations immediately in the first post, what I written really didn't represented my knowledge ...

Vilx- wrote:Yeah, on my PC Firefox takes at most 5% of my CPU during those transitions. :P OK, I think I'll make another button which will allow you to turn off all the fancy transitions - both in browser and the ads. And it will remember your choice in a cookie. But it'll take a while, maybe at the end of next week or even later. Currently my priority is to fix bugs and get the subscription page under the new design as well.

No problem I can wait - I'm already using RSS so I don't actually need to visit the homepage :).
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar

Postby Vilx- » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:36 pm

abadidea wrote:I've used Drowtales on iPad and it was alright, only thing was that on each pageload I had to drag the image over because of the thick left bar. I don't think you could make a better experience for anything particularly small-screened, since the simple fact of the matter is that DT is a full-page format.
Any chance you can try out the new design on the iPad? :)

And yes, I agree about the full-page format. Hence the question - are there enough people interested in a mobile version that we should start considering it?
Vilx-
Summoner

Postby Vilx- » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:46 pm

H'K'Maly wrote:No problem I can wait - I'm already using RSS so I don't actually need to visit the homepage :).

While I make it into a button, here's a workaround: put this inside your address bar or make it a bookmark:

javascript:(function(){$.fx.off=true;})();

This might also help in any other webpage that bases its effects on jQuery.
Vilx-
Summoner

Postby alkaizer87 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:55 am

Guys and Girls. I like the new design, as said before, but there are a lot of problems. ONe is the avis, two is the that when you look at the manga you can see what the previous and page was. I find this useful so I know whether or not I've actualyl missed anything. Also three, if you get a new message from someone it's ahrd to see if oyu have one, because the word 'ARCHIVES' kind of blocks out how many new messages you have. So becuase of this it could have 1, 2 or 0 messages. Can still see it, but harder to tell. IOverarll, the home page ios cool but other parts aren't that great.
alkaizer87
Vel'akar

Location: At home with 3 of Vaelia's kids: 1 girl and 2 boys.
Clan: Sarghress

Postby Finn MacCool » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:04 am

another problem that may or may not be related to the new design:
for a couple of weeks now i've been experiencing pretty bumpy scrolling while using the old board style (with the new one it's slightly better).
could it be that you moved a part of the old code to some place where it takes longer to execute?
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Postby Vilx- » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:15 am

Sorry for this, we're working on the bugs! Please keep them reported.

Btw - are you browsing always from the same computer or are you logged in with the same username? I don't know about the previous page preview (I'll have to talk to Kern about that), but I could add a mark in the page dropdown for unread pages. That is, if I had some way of identifying you on the site (either a cookie on your computer or your username).
Vilx-
Summoner

Postby Vilx- » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:17 am

Finn MacCool wrote:another problem that may or may not be related to the new design:
for a couple of weeks now i've been experiencing pretty bumpy scrolling while using the old board style (with the new one it's slightly better).
could it be that you moved a part of the old code to some place where it takes longer to execute?
Could you please tell us more about your computer? What browser and which version are you using? How powerful (CPU, RAM, VGA) is your computer? Also - is this the same everywhere in the forum, or are there worse pages and better pages?
Vilx-
Summoner

Postby Finn MacCool » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:26 am

i'm using firefox 3.6.16 on a (nearly antique) computer with
1.8 ghz (amd duron),
512 mb RAM
and a radeon 9600XT.

i think it's worse on long pages (like the current page of the grammar/spelling mistakes thread), but that may be just because i'm scrolling more on those.
also, while the scrolling is less bumpy with the new style, it tends to slow down for the last few millimeters when scrolling up to the top of a page.
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Postby Vilx- » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:31 pm

Sounds to me like it is having problems rendering all the big images. And the main suspect would be the amount of RAM you have - with only 512MB it's highly likely that it's all used up and there's a lot of swapping going on. Have you tried some of the less taxing forum skins like ProSilver/subSilver? Also I think there should have been a "light" view, but I'm not sure and I can't find it now.
Vilx-
Summoner

Postby Finn MacCool » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:38 pm

okay, i just tried prosilver and subsilver2 and didn't notice any problems there.
however, as i already said, the problem didn't occur at all until a couple of weeks ago. so it's probably not (only) due to my RAM.
Finn MacCool
Vel'akar

Postby Vilx- » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:34 pm

Well, I don't know what changed during the last few weeks - the forum and blog are Kite's domain. And the change might as well have been on your end.

Anyways, I don't think that there will be any better solution than using another skin. Beauty has a price and slow old computers are slow old computers. That's why there are the less resource-consuming skins.

Well... if you insist in pursuing this problem, here's a list of ideas:
  • Does the slowness begin when a certain page element is scrolled into view? Can you identify this element?
  • Do things get better when you disable javascript in your browser?
  • In Task Manager, when things get slow, what seems to be the bottleneck? CPU or RAM? That is, does the CPU spike to 100%, or is the RAM filled up? (Don't look at the percent, compare the "Commit Charge - Total" with "Physical Memory - Total")
Vilx-
Summoner

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion