For general community discussion.

New Web-Design

Re: New Web-Design

Postby H'K'Maly » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:04 am

I must agree that the new front page looks cool and modern but ... I must say my first impression was "it's so heavy I wouldn't be able to view it on my one-core-only machine" ... It's better now, so maybe it was some other page slowing my browser, but be carefull, it is possible to make page too cool to display :).
User avatar
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 2077
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:39 am

Re: New Web-Design

Postby Lee'yane » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:15 pm

abadidea wrote:I can't remember what my avatar size is, but I think I will find out if it's too big in a moment *oops*

edit, wow, I was literally half a kilobyte over the filesize limit, well I managed to get it to half the size without changing image quality, apparently I forgot to use "save for web" in photoshop last time :V

Everyone else hurry and fix your avatars, I have no idea what any of you are actually named, I associate internet identities with their silly faces ^^;

Crap I probably shouldn't change avi's so often then. ^^; For the record I decided to just pick a new one instead of resizing, I used to be the straitened hair pic of Chiri saying "I'm.. too sexy for you".
User avatar
Lee'yane
Summoner
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:34 am
Clan: Illhar'dro

Re: New Web-Design

Postby H'K'Maly » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Lee'yane wrote:
abadidea wrote:I can't remember what my avatar size is, but I think I will find out if it's too big in a moment *oops*

edit, wow, I was literally half a kilobyte over the filesize limit, well I managed to get it to half the size without changing image quality, apparently I forgot to use "save for web" in photoshop last time :V

Everyone else hurry and fix your avatars, I have no idea what any of you are actually named, I associate internet identities with their silly faces ^^;

Crap I probably shouldn't change avi's so often then. ^^; For the record I decided to just pick a new one instead of resizing, I used to be the straitened hair pic of Chiri saying "I'm.. too sexy for you".


My Kiel "Your IP is ..." will not work with uploadable avatars and I planed to change her to something more on-topic anyway ... and hey, isn't it an advantage if no one recognize you? :)
User avatar
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 2077
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:39 am

Re: New Web-Design

Postby Kirik » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:05 pm

Kite wrote:an announcement! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15350

Fyi, avatars: upload only, at 125x125, < 50kbs - you'll need to re-upload them. :3

please forgive me for your loss of pixels, I had to feed the chibies! they are hungry :(

And i wondered what happend to it, chibis are always so greedy :D

Also love the new web-design!
User avatar
Kirik
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:59 am
Clan: Jaal'darya

Re: New Web-Design

Postby nerdycanuck » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:13 pm

Kite wrote:an announcement! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15350

Fyi, avatars: upload only, at 125x125, < 50kbs - you'll need to re-upload them. :3

please forgive me for your loss of pixels, I had to feed the chibies! they are hungry :(


I much prefer smaller avatars, so this is good news to me. I'm glad that the lost pixels went to a good cause. Feed the Chibis! XD

Great job on the new layout. I'm a huge fan of clean, organized layouts and DT now has exactly that. Fantastic! And also, congratulations on the anniversary, and thank you for the many years of awesome comics!
User avatar
nerdycanuck
Demon
 
Posts: 645
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:57 pm

Re: New Web-Design

Postby abadidea » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:18 pm

H'K'Maly wrote:I must agree that the new front page looks cool and modern but ... I must say my first impression was "it's so heavy I wouldn't be able to view it on my one-core-only machine" ... It's better now, so maybe it was some other page slowing my browser, but be carefull, it is possible to make page too cool to display :).


It got better because your browser keeps a copy of the images and other parts of the page it assumes will rarely change. As long as you visit Drowtales a few times a week, it will keep the images and javascript fresh in the cache and it will load faster.
User avatar
abadidea
Demon
 
Posts: 755
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:23 am
Clan: Illhar'dro

Re: New Web-Design

Postby Kalegion » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:53 pm

abadidea wrote:
H'K'Maly wrote:I must agree that the new front page looks cool and modern but ... I must say my first impression was "it's so heavy I wouldn't be able to view it on my one-core-only machine" ... It's better now, so maybe it was some other page slowing my browser, but be carefull, it is possible to make page too cool to display :).


It got better because your browser keeps a copy of the images and other parts of the page it assumes will rarely change. As long as you visit Drowtales a few times a week, it will keep the images and javascript fresh in the cache and it will load faster.

Or the internet connection improved :P
User avatar
Kalegion
Demon
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:21 am
Location: I don't remember anymore.
Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Re: New Web-Design

Postby Vilx- » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:06 pm

Well, depends. The page itself (the HTML) is now 4 times smaller and simpler. However the total download size has increased to about 1.5MB, because the large "preview" of the moonless age is actually the page itself. So there's still optimization to do. :) On the bright side, the current page is 3 times the normal length, so in the long run the total download size might actually stay the same - around 900KB. It's still pretty much, but beauty comes with a price. I've already pulled every trick I know to reduce the size of the fixed elements.

Anyways, I think I forgot to mention (though it should be obvious), that I'm really interested in all the bugs you can find, as well as suggestions. Performance data would be interesting too. I don't have a slow computer to test on. :P Send me all your info in PMs or post in this thread. And don't forget to mention what browser/version you're using. :)

Added: I already know that the thumbnails in the browser are sometimes missing and that some archives have odd sized thumbnails. Will be fixed later.
User avatar
Vilx-
Summoner
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:52 pm
Clan: Valley'gurl

Re: New Web-Design

Postby H'K'Maly » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:53 pm

abadidea wrote:
H'K'Maly wrote:I must agree that the new front page looks cool and modern but ... I must say my first impression was "it's so heavy I wouldn't be able to view it on my one-core-only machine" ... It's better now, so maybe it was some other page slowing my browser, but be carefull, it is possible to make page too cool to display :).


It got better because your browser keeps a copy of the images and other parts of the page it assumes will rarely change. As long as you visit Drowtales a few times a week, it will keep the images and javascript fresh in the cache and it will load faster.


The page looked already loaded and still slow. I suspected javascript (or flash but seems there's no flash there). On the other hand, if some part of page were still being downloaded in background it might have effect too ...

Wait. I looked at the page again ... maybe it's the switching of banners. I mean, if I try to scroll the page with banners changing, it's jumping or not scrolling at all. If I stop the switching by selecting one banner, it scrolls without problems.

Also: <b>Notice</b>: Undefined property: ms_Page::$Chapter in <b>/virtual/www.drowtales.com/html/templates/index.tpl.php</b> on line <b>87</b><br />194<br />
User avatar
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 2077
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:39 am

Re: New Web-Design

Postby abadidea » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:01 pm

H'K'Maly wrote:
abadidea wrote:
H'K'Maly wrote:I must agree that the new front page looks cool and modern but ... I must say my first impression was "it's so heavy I wouldn't be able to view it on my one-core-only machine" ... It's better now, so maybe it was some other page slowing my browser, but be carefull, it is possible to make page too cool to display :).


It got better because your browser keeps a copy of the images and other parts of the page it assumes will rarely change. As long as you visit Drowtales a few times a week, it will keep the images and javascript fresh in the cache and it will load faster.


The page looked already loaded and still slow. I suspected javascript (or flash but seems there's no flash there). On the other hand, if some part of page were still being downloaded in background it might have effect too ...

Wait. I looked at the page again ... maybe it's the switching of banners. I mean, if I try to scroll the page with banners changing, it's jumping or not scrolling at all. If I stop the switching by selecting one banner, it scrolls without problems.

Also: <b>Notice</b>: Undefined property: ms_Page::$Chapter in <b>/virtual/www.drowtales.com/html/templates/index.tpl.php</b> on line <b>87</b><br />194<br />


BTW I apologize if what I said was too obvious, I am really used to dealing with people who know 0% of computering :B
User avatar
abadidea
Demon
 
Posts: 755
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:23 am
Clan: Illhar'dro

Re: New Web-Design

Postby Vilx- » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Right! I missed that! Fix it ASAP.

Interesting about the banners. Will investigate that. That's actually the only piece of JS running in the whole page. The browser JS doesn't kick in at all until you activate it.
User avatar
Vilx-
Summoner
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:52 pm
Clan: Valley'gurl

Re: New Web-Design

Postby Raziel » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:59 pm

Raziel wrote:
abadidea wrote:
Raziel wrote:The new Kiel+Naal wallpaper is so good, if only I knew how to make it into my new avi. :(


If you don't have an image editor you can use http://pixlr.com/ without downloading anything.

Upload the picture, use the marquee tool to drag a square around the part you want, select "copy." Open a new blank image and paste, if necessary resize the edges so there's no empty space. Go to Image -> Image Size and change the larger side of the image (if it's not a perfect square) to 125px. Save as PNG or JPG, double-check that the image size is less than 48KB.

Thank you! XD

Just have to say it again, Thanks!!! Now I have a hole mess of avi pics thanks to that sight. XD
User avatar
Raziel
Dark Chibi Demon
 
Posts: 7176
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:43 am
Location: A massive Dark Tower hidden in the underworld.
Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: New Web-Design

Postby Vilx- » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:10 pm

Tracked down the problem to invalid data in DB. However I need to consult Kern before attempting to fix. But he is away for the weekend. So you'll have to live a few days more with a buggy PTP leader archive. :P
User avatar
Vilx-
Summoner
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:52 pm
Clan: Valley'gurl

Re: New Web-Design

Postby H'K'Maly » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Vilx- wrote:Right! I missed that! Fix it ASAP.

Interesting about the banners. Will investigate that. That's actually the only piece of JS running in the whole page. The browser JS doesn't kick in at all until you activate it.


It might only happen because I have slow CPU, slow GPU or not-much-accelerating driver for GPU ... (linux, free nv). On the other hand other readers might have even slower CPU or GPU ... especialy in case of nettops or similar stuff.

Or it might be Firefox. It's not apparent in chromium.
User avatar
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar
 
Posts: 2077
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:39 am

Re: New Web-Design

Postby abadidea » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:19 pm

H'K'Maly wrote:
Vilx- wrote:Right! I missed that! Fix it ASAP.

Interesting about the banners. Will investigate that. That's actually the only piece of JS running in the whole page. The browser JS doesn't kick in at all until you activate it.


It might only happen because I have slow CPU, slow GPU or not-much-accelerating driver for GPU ... (linux, free nv). On the other hand other readers might have even slower CPU or GPU ... especialy in case of nettops or similar stuff.

Or it might be Firefox. It's not apparent in chromium.


okay now I am REALLY sorry for mentioning the cache, I feel like a moron for not being able to pick up the aura of a fellow Linux user *wee*
User avatar
abadidea
Demon
 
Posts: 755
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:23 am
Clan: Illhar'dro

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest