For general community discussion.

New Web-Design

Re: New Web-Design

Postby H'K'Maly » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:04 am

I must agree that the new front page looks cool and modern but ... I must say my first impression was "it's so heavy I wouldn't be able to view it on my one-core-only machine" ... It's better now, so maybe it was some other page slowing my browser, but be carefull, it is possible to make page too cool to display :).
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar

Postby Lee'yane » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:15 pm

abadidea wrote:I can't remember what my avatar size is, but I think I will find out if it's too big in a moment *oops*

edit, wow, I was literally half a kilobyte over the filesize limit, well I managed to get it to half the size without changing image quality, apparently I forgot to use "save for web" in photoshop last time :V

Everyone else hurry and fix your avatars, I have no idea what any of you are actually named, I associate internet identities with their silly faces ^^;

Crap I probably shouldn't change avi's so often then. ^^; For the record I decided to just pick a new one instead of resizing, I used to be the straitened hair pic of Chiri saying "I'm.. too sexy for you".
Lee'yane
Summoner

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby H'K'Maly » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Lee'yane wrote:
abadidea wrote:I can't remember what my avatar size is, but I think I will find out if it's too big in a moment *oops*

edit, wow, I was literally half a kilobyte over the filesize limit, well I managed to get it to half the size without changing image quality, apparently I forgot to use "save for web" in photoshop last time :V

Everyone else hurry and fix your avatars, I have no idea what any of you are actually named, I associate internet identities with their silly faces ^^;

Crap I probably shouldn't change avi's so often then. ^^; For the record I decided to just pick a new one instead of resizing, I used to be the straitened hair pic of Chiri saying "I'm.. too sexy for you".

My Kiel "Your IP is ..." will not work with uploadable avatars and I planed to change her to something more on-topic anyway ... and hey, isn't it an advantage if no one recognize you? :)
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar

Postby Kirik » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:05 pm

Kite wrote:an announcement! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15350

Fyi, avatars: upload only, at 125x125, < 50kbs - you'll need to re-upload them. :3

please forgive me for your loss of pixels, I had to feed the chibies! they are hungry :(

And i wondered what happend to it, chibis are always so greedy :D

Also love the new web-design!
Kirik
Vel'akar

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby nerdycanuck » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:13 pm

Kite wrote:an announcement! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15350

Fyi, avatars: upload only, at 125x125, < 50kbs - you'll need to re-upload them. :3

please forgive me for your loss of pixels, I had to feed the chibies! they are hungry :(

I much prefer smaller avatars, so this is good news to me. I'm glad that the lost pixels went to a good cause. Feed the Chibis! XD

Great job on the new layout. I'm a huge fan of clean, organized layouts and DT now has exactly that. Fantastic! And also, congratulations on the anniversary, and thank you for the many years of awesome comics!
nerdycanuck
Demon

Postby abadidea » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:18 pm

H'K'Maly wrote:I must agree that the new front page looks cool and modern but ... I must say my first impression was "it's so heavy I wouldn't be able to view it on my one-core-only machine" ... It's better now, so maybe it was some other page slowing my browser, but be carefull, it is possible to make page too cool to display :).

It got better because your browser keeps a copy of the images and other parts of the page it assumes will rarely change. As long as you visit Drowtales a few times a week, it will keep the images and javascript fresh in the cache and it will load faster.
abadidea
Demon

Postby Kalegion » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:53 pm

abadidea wrote:
H'K'Maly wrote:I must agree that the new front page looks cool and modern but ... I must say my first impression was "it's so heavy I wouldn't be able to view it on my one-core-only machine" ... It's better now, so maybe it was some other page slowing my browser, but be carefull, it is possible to make page too cool to display :).

It got better because your browser keeps a copy of the images and other parts of the page it assumes will rarely change. As long as you visit Drowtales a few times a week, it will keep the images and javascript fresh in the cache and it will load faster.

Or the internet connection improved :P
Kalegion
Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Vilx- » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:06 pm

Well, depends. The page itself (the HTML) is now 4 times smaller and simpler. However the total download size has increased to about 1.5MB, because the large "preview" of the moonless age is actually the page itself. So there's still optimization to do. :) On the bright side, the current page is 3 times the normal length, so in the long run the total download size might actually stay the same - around 900KB. It's still pretty much, but beauty comes with a price. I've already pulled every trick I know to reduce the size of the fixed elements.

Anyways, I think I forgot to mention (though it should be obvious), that I'm really interested in all the bugs you can find, as well as suggestions. Performance data would be interesting too. I don't have a slow computer to test on. :P Send me all your info in PMs or post in this thread. And don't forget to mention what browser/version you're using. :)

Added: I already know that the thumbnails in the browser are sometimes missing and that some archives have odd sized thumbnails. Will be fixed later.
Vilx-
Summoner

Clan: Valley'gurl

Postby H'K'Maly » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:53 pm

abadidea wrote:

The page looked already loaded and still slow. I suspected javascript (or flash but seems there's no flash there). On the other hand, if some part of page were still being downloaded in background it might have effect too ...

Wait. I looked at the page again ... maybe it's the switching of banners. I mean, if I try to scroll the page with banners changing, it's jumping or not scrolling at all. If I stop the switching by selecting one banner, it scrolls without problems.

Also: <b>Notice</b>: Undefined property: ms_Page::$Chapter in <b>/virtual/www.drowtales.com/html/templates/index.tpl.php</b> on line <b>87</b><br />194<br />
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar

Postby abadidea » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:01 pm

H'K'Maly wrote:
abadidea wrote:

The page looked already loaded and still slow. I suspected javascript (or flash but seems there's no flash there). On the other hand, if some part of page were still being downloaded in background it might have effect too ...

Wait. I looked at the page again ... maybe it's the switching of banners. I mean, if I try to scroll the page with banners changing, it's jumping or not scrolling at all. If I stop the switching by selecting one banner, it scrolls without problems.

Also: <b>Notice</b>: Undefined property: ms_Page::$Chapter in <b>/virtual/www.drowtales.com/html/templates/index.tpl.php</b> on line <b>87</b><br />194<br />

BTW I apologize if what I said was too obvious, I am really used to dealing with people who know 0% of computering :B
abadidea
Demon

Postby Vilx- » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Right! I missed that! Fix it ASAP.

Interesting about the banners. Will investigate that. That's actually the only piece of JS running in the whole page. The browser JS doesn't kick in at all until you activate it.
Vilx-
Summoner

Postby Raziel » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:59 pm

Raziel wrote:
abadidea wrote:
Raziel wrote:The new Kiel+Naal wallpaper is so good, if only I knew how to make it into my new avi. :(

If you don't have an image editor you can use http://pixlr.com/ without downloading anything.

Upload the picture, use the marquee tool to drag a square around the part you want, select "copy." Open a new blank image and paste, if necessary resize the edges so there's no empty space. Go to Image -> Image Size and change the larger side of the image (if it's not a perfect square) to 125px. Save as PNG or JPG, double-check that the image size is less than 48KB.

Thank you! XD

Just have to say it again, Thanks!!! Now I have a hole mess of avi pics thanks to that sight. XD
Raziel
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Vilx- » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:10 pm

Tracked down the problem to invalid data in DB. However I need to consult Kern before attempting to fix. But he is away for the weekend. So you'll have to live a few days more with a buggy PTP leader archive. :P
Vilx-
Summoner

Postby H'K'Maly » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Vilx- wrote:Right! I missed that! Fix it ASAP.

Interesting about the banners. Will investigate that. That's actually the only piece of JS running in the whole page. The browser JS doesn't kick in at all until you activate it.

It might only happen because I have slow CPU, slow GPU or not-much-accelerating driver for GPU ... (linux, free nv). On the other hand other readers might have even slower CPU or GPU ... especialy in case of nettops or similar stuff.

Or it might be Firefox. It's not apparent in chromium.
H'K'Maly
Vel'akar

Postby abadidea » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:19 pm

H'K'Maly wrote:
Vilx- wrote:Right! I missed that! Fix it ASAP.

It might only happen because I have slow CPU, slow GPU or not-much-accelerating driver for GPU ... (linux, free nv). On the other hand other readers might have even slower CPU or GPU ... especialy in case of nettops or similar stuff.

Or it might be Firefox. It's not apparent in chromium.

okay now I am REALLY sorry for mentioning the cache, I feel like a moron for not being able to pick up the aura of a fellow Linux user *wee*
abadidea
Demon

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion