Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 131

Chapter 54 : page 131

Postby Kern » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:46 am

A duel, one last hope to save them from a massacre. Except the would be challenger is on the ground bleeding out...
And Sang doesn't have to accept either. She is winning, the only concession she could ask for is total surrender and have everyone executed. If she just sacrifice more soldiers she'll get them all dead. Now, the soldiers who'd be sacrificed to prolong the combat may not always agree on that perspective so wheter she can forced into accepting is only through sheer peer pressure. Thankfully there is at least 3 among the crowd who sympthize with their opponents enough to speak up and put some pressure on their leader to finish the job.
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Chapter 54 : page 131

Postby Cladriah » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:55 am

I need to reask this. Why is Myo'na and jiv with sang? Given we saw them fleeing with ariel after the end of chapter 50?
Cladriah
Nether Seed

Postby Black Knight LeFreux » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:05 am

Cladriah wrote:I need to reask this. Why is Myo'na and jiv with sang? Given we saw them fleeing with ariel after the end of chapter 50?

Maybe they went back to the clan right afterwards, to spy and provide information for Kel'Noz on the state of the clan. They're the clan's ninjas afterall.

Or they thought their presence was needed to maintain the peace... And they failed. Yet, they didn't forsake Ariel, and are now trying to help, albeit not openly like we would be hoping Ariel's former babysitters to do : sword in hand, side by side with their lil' pup.
Black Knight LeFreux
Vel'akar

Postby Nothingness » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:10 am

Well, I think Sang defenders, calling her a "true wolf" are here now for a rude awakening...or even are now, as she is already behaving far from a "true wolf", which even her own soldiers kinda notice.
Nothingness
Tainted

Postby Pitdragon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:13 am

Kel'noz leading?! But... but that's Rab's dream come true! You're gonna toy with his emotions!

And if he wins and then passes the clan to Ariel with his dying breath... eh, that might just stir the pot again. If he's smart he'll take his leadership and if there's any talk of Ariel leading from him he'll do a better version of what Quain did and have her actually around those running things as a second-in-command (or if she's smarter, she'll tell him "No, that isn't what the Sarghress should be," and turns him down). That will ease a lot of tension among others for various reasons:

1) He gained control through a traditional method and shows the most ability. His bloodline helps, but under the old Chelian ways he wouldn't have ruled for being male. So he satisfies the bloodline loyalists and the ones that function on meritocracy, at least to an extent not to have strong enough arguments against it.

2) There's no "illusion" of Ariel being a grunt while still sometimes getting rewards and punishments that don't follow the usual grunt (she was "punished" by being assigned to her desired position, where as most grunts likely get something they DON'T want, and her group consisted of pretty high-blood individuals so some might argue it insulated her from the average). She is expected to lead, she needs to be assigned to learn it. It is good she was in the trenches with everyone, learning to value her troops, but she's past that now and probably should've been past that pretty quickly in the war anyway.

3) If Ariel opts not to rule, or a better person comes about, the clan won't have that personality cult to argue over it anymore. Ariel will gladly second someone who can handle everything that even Quain didn't want to/couldn't. And those loyal to Quain's blood will trust their judgment on that while still having a bloodline heir around to take over if required. If this route is taken, it looks more like what people may have thought Quain was going for when she first took on Syphile and then named Koil heir, as well as adopting Kor. She may have done it more to keep her houses stable (Koil and Kor both are children to De'vesses), but that wasn't likely how her clan saw it - they saw it as a break from the usual Val bloodlines and instead creating leaders based on virtue and ability. So it will placate the anti-Val division as well.

If they just go back to "I'm Quain's kid, do as I say, now another of Quain's kids will rule now that I'm dying," then this strife just goes into a holding pattern until the next angry anti-Val/Sharen-hater/Meritocrat rises up to denounce it. The cycle Quain mentioned. Which I'm sure Ariel wants to end, so she'll end it even if Kel does not I suspect.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Junglefowl26 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:40 am

...Is it the clan tradition?

I thought the clan tradition was to stab the f out of anyone who makes challenges. http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=6225

And if a challenge was possible, wouldn't it have been better to have Ariel challenge Sang at the beginning and avoid a bloody fight? Ariel wouldn't have good odds but I think she would be willing to try to protect her followers.

Also, I wonder what Kel has up his sleeve. He lost to her earlier and is in worse shape now, so I don't think this will be a straightforward fight. But unless Kel has a self-destruct power, I am not sure what he can do...but I know he is planning something.....
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Sionyx » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:50 am

...Oh, well DONE, Kyo. From your posture on the last page I was expecting Sang to get a facefull of Fus Ro Dah and instead you go with what may well be the ONLY way to salvage the Sarghress. Kel is showing himself to be more in line with what the clan is supposedly standing for, accepting the challenge by proxy like this. And given that Sang is the only one expressing scorn at the challenge instead of starting a debate amongst the troops about if this is worth everyone's time hints that there may be some more inner conflict than we've seen. It'd make sense if this group is only behind Sang because they don't want the Val massacre that the unseen Sarghress faction seems to want and Sang's offering competent leadership (which the readers could see wasn't going to come from Koil many chapters back...).

Right now I'm wavering between Ariel being brought in just in time to act as a stand in or a mutual kill between Kel and Sang.

*Edit, Forum, you're supposed to let me know if someone posts when I'm typing!*
Junglefowl26 wrote:And if a challenge was possible, wouldn't it have been better to have Ariel challenge Sang at the beginning and avoid a bloody fight? Ariel wouldn't have good odds but I think she would be willing to try to protect her followers.

Also, I wonder what Kel has up his sleeve. He lost to her earlier and is in worse shape now, so I don't think this will be a straightforward fight. But unless Kel has a self-destruct power, I am not sure what he can do...but I know he is planning something.....

At a guess, a challenge wasn't issued earlier because they didn't know enough about what's going on. Now that they know the details behind the coup, it's easier to issue that challenge.

And Kel didn't lose to Sang earlier, he lost to Mablevi. That just shows Sang's got a ninja, it doesn't show that she's strong enough to lead the Sarghress.
Sionyx
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Ardan Styyx » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:46 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:I thought the clan tradition was to stab the f out of anyone who makes challenges. http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=6225

Yeah, my thought exactly. However, the challenge is between 2 members of the same clan here, not with an outsider opponent. So in a way it is not totally out of the place, although this proves how the concept of "honor" can be variable among the Sargs...

Sionyx wrote:Right now I'm wavering between Ariel being brought in just in time to act as a stand in or a mutual kill between Kel and Sang.

If she acts as a stand and wins, doesn't it mean SHE is worth leading the clan? I guess that's what Kel has in mind here. Although he is by far the most capable leader any clan would have, he's been planing the rise of his niece for a long time, even if she doesn't want the role.

Meanwhile, in the overpressure guts of the ready-to-blow airship...
Ardan Styyx
Summoner

Postby Mizu » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:13 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:...Is it the clan tradition?

I thought the clan tradition was to stab the f out of anyone who makes challenges. http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=6225

And if a challenge was possible, wouldn't it have been better to have Ariel challenge Sang at the beginning and avoid a bloody fight? Ariel wouldn't have good odds but I think she would be willing to try to protect her followers.

Then a few pages later Quain was talked into one and much much later she died because she dueled Sarv and her poisoned blade instead of just having her turned into a pin cushion by her army. Accepting duels is the entire reason the clan is in such shambles since odds are good nothing else could have managed to kill Quain between then and now if not for that poison leaving her weakened enough for mooks to kill her and delirious enough to go on a murderous rampage through her own forces of highly trained mooks familiar with her fighting abilities.

Edit: Granted Quain often failed to live up to her own rhetoric, the most notable case of course being her sheer desperation to have the clan be inherited by a blood heir of hers instead of handing it off to the most capable available underling like a true meritocracy.
Mizu
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby James Rye » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:53 am

Kel is busy battling Ariel's daddy at being most badass male in DT.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Whizzard » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:18 am

What if Kel fights and wins? What if Kel'noz becomes the leader of the Sarghress clan? The first male clan leader in Chel. What if he then goes and crushes Snadhya... and becomes the leader of Chel? The first male emperor! Ariel would be free of her heir duties and could do anything she wants, such as roaming the world with the Raiders...

Yknow what. Kel'noz for emperor 2018! ;P
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Irae Maeviir » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:41 am

I think this might not be going the way most thinks, Kel is in no condition to win.

That being said, it opened the possibility for others to just challenge their leaders, again and again and again, Sang is not afraid of what Kel will do to her, but what will happen to her as people who dislike the way she acts challenge her for command over and over and over.

EDIT: Also I think Sang just realized how little unity she has, or perhaps how thin her grip on the remaining Sarghress is. No more rethorics. No more speeches. If she wants to lead she will have to abide by the clan rules.
Irae Maeviir
Tainted

Location: Watching what's going on from her own pocket dimension

Postby Kardwill » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:02 am

Irae Maeviir wrote:I think this might not be going the way most thinks, Kel is in no condition to win.

Still, it brought a pause in a fight that was turning into a bloody slaughter. Even if Kel is killed, it will open the possibility of an honorable surrender/assimilation rather than outright extermination.
Kardwill
Summoner

Postby Moric » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:19 am

1. Since Quain'tana accepted Rosof's challenge, duelling became a tradition of the Sarghress. Of course, nobody other than Syphile or Sarv were suicidal enough to try since (in comic).

2. This explains why sparring one on one was such a prominent activity among Sarghress.

3. Koil'dorath was also a combat beast. With her gone, Quill'yate not stepping up, and Sang not respecting the ritual significance, of course the Clan fell apart.

4. Kel'noz doesn't have the strength to stand*, let alone defeat someone who can solo a siege golem in seconds. His challenge, however, would make the optics of Ariel's impossible to deny. Of course, Kel's only chance of survival requires Ariel to arrive before he can be scraped up off the floor.

* Sang isn't cowardly enough to balk at "to the pain".
Moric
Demon

Postby ohriniel666 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:27 am

So anime style *wee*
Just accept it and cut his head while he is on the floor.)
ohriniel666
Nether Seed

Clan: Vloz'ress

Next

Return to Moonless Age