Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 127

Re: Chapter 54 : page 127

Postby Whizzard » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:21 pm

I have to say. Ariel looks magnificent in that hero shot of her.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:44 pm

Whizzard wrote:I have to say. Ariel looks magnificent in that hero shot of her.

Agreed! "swoons" *wee*
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Moric » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:01 am

Tempestfury wrote:Kor'maril Niz'zre Sarghress... son of Sang Niz'zre Sarghress, they very individual who has taken over command of the clan, joined the alliance, and lead them on a hunt against Ariel due to her name.

Yet, he stepped in to help Ariel when you against Jer'kol... and he is the father of Kau Val'Sharen and Shala Val'Sharen... who are longtime friends and comrades of Ariel. The former of which is fighting alongside Ariel as we speak. Heck, if I'm not mistaken, is that not Kau in the mech suit on this very page?

Quite the interesting individual to be in this situation

To begin with, yes, blood is thicker than water. The dark-elf culture (and hence drow) revolves wholly around the mother, thus all bonds of societal piety and propriety are based upon the mother/child dynamic. This is why the Clans system worked at all. The Sarghress are not composed networks of blood loyalty, and thus without Quain'tana, are moments away from dissipating into hundreds of factions at any given moment.

Jer'kol was a nobody. Sang's position would have been compromised were Ariel harmed or killed under his watch. Even if he were as disgusted with Ariel as Su'ube, like Hel he would allow that to happen.

As for siring (yes, sire - not father) Kau and Shala, it was by *&%#ing Sil'lice. Seriously, how could Sang's son decide that doing it with a Val'Sharen daughter of Diva'trika would ever, ever, EVER be tolerable for his mother? Love? Does the monomaniacal Sil'lice evoke such tenderness at all? No, this was certainly espionage. That he knocked her up is entirely incidental. Fathers are, unless they are in some unusually stable relationship with the mother, nothing but sperm donors.+

Doom Chinchilla wrote:Since Ariel and co have reached Kor'maril, and Kyo is giving a speech instead of running for her life... does that mean that Kyo has taken down Sang?

Dammit, spellsingers are as overpowered as empaths...!

OP only in some situations, as Ash and Shodun can attest. In the end, choosing how to exploit one's own mana strengths is fundamental in survival in the Moonless Age.
Moric
Demon

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:24 am

Hellsion wrote:So to reiterate, and correct me if I'm wrong

Kelnoz= out.
Yes, KO'd for now :U which is good because he woulda been deafened by...
Kyo= what was the plan?
btw Kel and maybe Quill seem to have been the only ones who knew what the f-ing plan was *rolleyes*
Chiri= Burning things as usual.
Apparently including Kau's hair (check your fire, Chiri!) *eek*
Quilliyate's Group= Friends, and decimated for the most part
But the other 9 out of 10 are just pinned down ;)
Quilliate= Alive, drying off and making friends.
She really should hurry up and rally the surviving Raiders
Sang's Group = Enemies.
If Ariel's followers are Royalists, then the Sangress are Imperialists
Koil= ded, sang did it.
At least that's what Sang said (expecting Koil to show up fit as a fiddle B) )
Sang= I just can't wait to be king or make someone else king because???
Because TWIST that's the only way she can take the Sangress and turn on the Sharen when they least expect it *evileye*
Kormaril = is here too.
And Kor has also drunk the "There she is, get her!" Kook-Aid :L
Felde Guard = is also here.
Bordering on the past tense, if the airship has anything to say about it
Shodun=Drowned. Sandaur has finally been avenged.
If she doesn't pull a Chakri and get a soul-swap
Boat = ded
They razed that Titanic
Felde Nurses = Friend to all.
And all but 2 are apparently now in demon-blob state, except those who got new "rides" in the lake
Gold Bald Empath lady= betayed ashwaren??? learned a lesson??? still alive?
Banana may still be kicking, because I don't think Faen loves Mommy Dearest enough to do her dirty work :@
Faen = love and peace?
Until someone threatens "her" bebbehs, then it's FRY this and SHIELDBASH that along with the best of us :U
Ashwaren's Slave= Stockholm syndrome
More like Jabba the Hutt's Twilek dancer being "liberated" by Imperial Stormtroopers *doh*
Ashwaren= wounded neck, broken nose, missing teeth. Will probobly blame everyone else.
I'd be disappointed if she didn't become even more of a sociopath after this, so yeah :[
OP Owl lady= almost died, got a soul transplant, back with a vengeance.
Her meatbag isn't her own anymore (see Illivafay and Naal-demon-blob)
tiny owl lady= sad.
I think that's Striggy with the freckles? Yeah, poor thing :(
Airship= roasted.
Hasn't pulled a Hindenburg yet, but any. time. now.
Spiderlady and the kids= they are here too for some reason.
Yep, they (and Koana) still have to get off the Mistwhale before Melas says "Code Zero Zero Zero, Destruct Zero"
Nehleanee= who keeps inviting her?
She is Snadhya's right hand, her RIGHT HAND! 8) Her prowess with tentacle fondles is legendary
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: in Snad's tower in Felde, checking to make sure I have spare underwear
Clan: Sarghress

Postby Junglefowl26 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:47 am

Moric wrote:
Tempestfury wrote:Kor'maril Niz'zre Sarghress... son of Sang Niz'zre Sarghress, they very individual who has taken over command of the clan, joined the alliance, and lead them on a hunt against Ariel due to her name.

Yet, he stepped in to help Ariel when you against Jer'kol... and he is the father of Kau Val'Sharen and Shala Val'Sharen... who are longtime friends and comrades of Ariel. The former of which is fighting alongside Ariel as we speak. Heck, if I'm not mistaken, is that not Kau in the mech suit on this very page?

Quite the interesting individual to be in this situation

To begin with, yes, blood is thicker than water. The dark-elf culture (and hence drow) revolves wholly around the mother, thus all bonds of societal piety and propriety are based upon the mother/child dynamic.

Theoretically, but in practice we have seen that bonds of friendship and ideology have trumped maternal ties. And that for all one's official bloodline comes from the mother, ties to one's paternal family can be strong and even politically important - there is a reason Zala and other politicians try to arrange important matches for their sons to secure alliances.

Just like how in multiple real world cultures, bloodline supposedly only comes from the father, but ties to the maternal family can be politically and economically important.

Moric wrote: This is why the Clans system worked at all. The Sarghress are not composed networks of blood loyalty, and thus without Quain'tana, are moments away from dissipating into hundreds of factions at any given moment.

The Sarghress haven't been any worse than any other clan really. The Nal'Sarkoth had a civil war after their leader died (possibly killed by one of their own), the leader of the Sul had to flee treason in her own ranks and the clan has more or less been absorbed by the Sarghress, it was stated even before the timeskip that Waes was the only thing holding the clan together and in their own chapter they were five seconds away from civil war before Waes found a solution (which ironically involved embracing a Beld identity beyond the limits of bloodlines), the Illhardro had their civil war even without their leader dying, and the Sharen...well they started this comic with three daughters murdering their mother and decimating their sisters' bloodlines and the amount of cooperation has only gone down from there. Frankly no clan is more splintered, more bitterly irreconcilable between factions, and more responsible for its own loss of power.

Only the Jaal seem to have escaped civil war, and they are a collection of refugees and outcasts, arguably closer to the Sarghs than the old clans. Arguably.

Oh, and there are members of every clan on every side of these recent battles.

Come to think of it, with the ascendance of the Nids, and the Sarghs serving as major power brokers in the alliance, this is arguably the triumph of ideology over blood.

Moric wrote:Jer'kol was a nobody. Sang's position would have been compromised were Ariel harmed or killed under his watch. Even if he were as disgusted with Ariel as Su'ube, like Hel he would allow that to happen.

A fair point.

Moric wrote:As for siring (yes, sire - not father) Kau and Shala, it was by *&%#ing Sil'lice. Seriously, how could Sang's son decide that doing it with a Val'Sharen daughter of Diva'trika would ever, ever, EVER be tolerable for his mother? Love? Does the monomaniacal Sil'lice evoke such tenderness at all? No, this was certainly espionage. That he knocked her up is entirely incidental. Fathers are, unless they are in some unusually stable relationship with the mother, nothing but sperm donors.+

Well, notably the only 100% canon daydream story is the one about how Silice and Kor got together. It admittedly was hardly the romance of the ages, but it didn't strike me as espionage either: in large part it was because Silice was bored (she wasn't torturer yet and they didn't want any chance of any word of her being there getting out, so she had to stay pretty isolated while those who came with her were given Sarghress duties and disguises) and she liked that Kor acted like a true gentleman as opposed to the roughness of many other Sarghs. For his part, Kor saw her as something of a kindred spirit - small and frail in body, but a fierce warrior in spirit.

That said, we don't have any real clue of how close he was to the twins, other than the twins knew who their father was.

Doom Chinchilla wrote:Since Ariel and co have reached Kor'maril, and Kyo is giving a speech instead of running for her life... does that mean that Kyo has taken down Sang?

Dammit, spellsingers are as overpowered as empaths...!

OP only in some situations, as Ash and Shodun can attest. In the end, choosing how to exploit one's own mana strengths is fundamental in survival in the Moonless Age.[/quote]
Yeah, we know that at least spellsong doesn't work on goblins - though fortunately I doubt the Legion brought any.

Furthermore, Kyo was on a high perch overlooking the fight. I bet she is not being swarmed because she is still far from the troops.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby 'Lement » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:21 am

Yes, Ariel looks magnificent....

And vulnerable. Kor'maril is still hunting her, still a warrior with many times her experience, doesn't have a reckless streak and when pointed at with spear to face? Even the supposedly loyal Sarghress fought Quain'tana, and that's not the sort of question one would have a heel face turn for.

And at that height to claw...I'd wonder if Ariel is going to have one more similarity
to her departed grandmother
mirroring what Siksi did.

And being one who adopts Mel'anarch's kids, unable to have any of her own with Faen.

(If Ariel wasn't the narrative fulcrum, here. Even Sang answered Kel'noz.)

Side note:

Neat combo technique between Chiri'nide and Sar'nel: One heats the blade, and then one uses the heated edge to cut through a shield.

Also, so many heads, so little helmets.
'Lement
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Doom Chinchilla » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:12 am

'Lement wrote:Also, so many heads, so little helmets.

Doom Chinchilla
Dragon of the Nether

Location: Aboard the Bird-Of-The-River, sailing the Yann to Bethmoora

Postby James Rye » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:04 pm

For Sharess Sake, Ariel! If you wanna be a proper Sarg leader you gotta learn the procedure: You behead first and ask question later, not ask question first and behead later. It is common sense, Ariel, common sense! 8P
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Moric » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:02 pm

James Rye wrote:For Sharess Sake, Ariel! If you wanna be a proper Sarg leader you gotta learn the procedure: You behead first and ask question later, not ask question first and behead later. It is common sense, Ariel, common sense! 8P

Sang also forgot procedure. Kill first, gloat later! As such, I must declare no confidence in her being Ill'haress.
Moric
Demon

Postby Tempestfury » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:23 pm

... the mods/admins of this forum have the ability to disable the HTML coding of individual posts.

... That's just petty. There's nothing against the rules that says I can't make my posts in yellow if I want to.

Marcellogo wrote:Yes , he is the point of both convergence, being closely tied to both sides, than breaking as a person know for selfishness and sense of duty, qualities that could made of him the best one to judge the whole mess.

Indeed. Let's hope he actually follows through and gives us our answers.

Junglefowl26 wrote:Theoretically, but in practice we have seen that bonds of friendship and ideology have trumped maternal ties. And that for all one's official bloodline comes from the mother, ties to one's paternal family can be strong and even politically important - there is a reason Zala and other politicians try to arrange important matches for their sons to secure alliances.

Quite. It doesn't matter how strong a culture might be the ties you actually make and form over your livetime tend to pull on an individual just as strong, if not even more so than those that your culture says is important. Life is very rarely all that simple and straight forwards.

Junglefowl26 wrote:Well, notably the only 100% canon daydream story is the one about how Silice and Kor got together. It admittedly was hardly the romance of the ages, but it didn't strike me as espionage either: in large part it was because Silice was bored (she wasn't torturer yet and they didn't want any chance of any word of her being there getting out, so she had to stay pretty isolated while those who came with her were given Sarghress duties and disguises) and she liked that Kor acted like a true gentleman as opposed to the roughness of many other Sarghs. For his part, Kor saw her as something of a kindred spirit - small and frail in body, but a fierce warrior in spirit.

That said, we don't have any real clue of how close he was to the twins, other than the twins knew who their father was.

I did not know that, and that is damn awesome to learn! It might not be an actual romance or loving relationship. After all, Zala and Sarbon was a very, very unique relationship when it comes to the Drow. Yet at the same time, they definitely had a bond that was fostered over time, instead of being an entirely practical match due to politics.

But, yeah. We haven't actually seen him interacting with the twins much... even when his daughter died, I'm not sure he was even there at the funeral? Despite there being a lot of Sarg's not in combat at the time, so he very much could have attended if he wanted to?
Tempestfury
Nether Spawn

Postby Junglefowl26 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:00 pm

Indeed. Well said TempestFury.

Also, I forgot to mention this last time, but the full phrase is actually "the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb" so ironically it means the opposite of what people think it means.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Tempestfury » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:18 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:Indeed. Well said TempestFury.

Also, I forgot to mention this last time, but the full phrase is actually "the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb" so ironically it means the opposite of what people think it means.

Aye. Its one of those quotes that many people have broken down and twisted over the years.

'Curiosity killed the cat' is another major example, as the full phase there is 'Curiosity killed the cat. But satisfaction brought it back.'

Edit: Okay. Seriously. What the hell. Who the hell is abusing their mod-powers here and turning of my ability to use the HTML coding on the post? Because it looks even WORST now without any of the coding then it did without any of the colour! And I even changed my colour to blue because its easier on the eyes than yellow.
Tempestfury
Nether Spawn

Postby Moric » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:56 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:Indeed. Well said TempestFury.

Well, if you want to go deep, and if I remember the fable correctly [I'll spare us all from quoting the Greek] , Aesop declared that, "Milk is thicker than blood." - meaning that raising a child leads to a stronger bond than biological motherhood.

I use the more commonly used phrase, because it is more readily understood.
Moric
Demon

Postby Tempestfury » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:44 am

Actually, according to the quick Google that I've done, 'Blood is Thicker than Water' came first come out with the other version actually been a newer phrase. However there is said to be an Arab phase that went something like 'Blood is thicker than milk', with the milk meaning a mother's Milk, milk coming from the same breast. The meaning of the phrase talking about how well brothers who have shared the same breast will have a bond, brothers who have shed blood together, will have a stronger Bond. Ergo, friendship is stronger than sibling ties.

'Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back.' Seemed to appear about the same time as each other
Tempestfury
Nether Spawn

Previous

Return to Moonless Age