Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 126

Re: Chapter 54 : page 126

Postby Nowhere Girl » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:38 am

Ah, Faen ... one of the very few drow in this comic I don't despise.
Nowhere Girl
Summoner

Postby Whizzard » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:50 am

Empathy battle is cool and all but all Faen needed to do to win was to just shieldbash the Banana (which in empathy battle is like shooting the guy who twirls his swords to show off his skills before the duel). ^^;

Just sayin', you were never going to win in the first place, Bae.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Zarannya » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:46 am

(Faen is really insistent that those are her kids huh. Doubt Mel would like that, which is a shame because Mel and Faen had always gotten along before)

Before people go off totally villifying Faen here, let's look at a few things that sort of affect this overall screwed up family situation.

1. Mel, to our knowledge, still thinks the little ones are dead. Unless something else had changed in the last three years of the timeskip, we have to assume she doesn't know that they're under Ariel and Faen's care. Until that reunion happens and they can sort out the whole custody mess, the little ones to a degree are Faen and Ariel's children.

2. Based on her interactions with the naga wetnurse, Xy'Tin, she was dismissive of the new baby, and we can only assume she was equally dismissive of her other babies, if only to prevent the trauma of getting attached to them only for them to be taken away again. We as readers know this is the main motivation, but from the other character's point of view, it may have seemed as if she wanted nothing to do with the babies, effectively abandoning them. We as readers also know that this is not the case, but the characters don't.

3. Like it or not, Ariel and by extension Faen are still family to the kids, and there could be worse people raising them, to be honest. We haven't seen any attempts from Mel to reach out to Ariel yet, unless something happened during the timeskip that Kern hasn't revealed. Again, if Mel knows they are alive, we haven't been informed, and probably neither has Ariel and Faen. To me, it feels more like a case of the older sister stepping in to raise the younger siblings, sort of, which is in line with Drow culture anyway. All told...a very messed up situation overall.

4. As you pointed out, Mel liked Faen- if anyone were to be raising her babies, Faen would probably be on her short list due to her caring nature. The other options would have been...troubling.

Based on this, if for some reason Faen and Ariel either thought or were led to believe that Mel doesn't want her little ones, then in their eyes, the kids ARE theirs. But it also looks like they are still aware that Mel is the birth mother - we don't see the little ones calling Ariel or Faen "Mother" or Mama, or anything like that, so to me, that shows that they still respect Mel's position in their lives. And for all we know, once this whole mess with the Nids vs Wolf Pack is over, Mel and Ariel and Faen can all sit down for that massively overdue conversation about where they all fit in Pelan and Octarya's future.

But then again...this is Drowtales, so I will hope for the best and wish they would come to a reasonable solution regarding the kids, but expect the worse. Because this is Drow we're talking about. :)
Zarannya
Tainted

Postby Marcellogo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:56 am

A thing: we have here a confirmation that Bae's ears have been cut...
Marcellogo
Summoner

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby SzordrinZaphresz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:53 am

If you value your life. Do. Not. Try. To. Out-trauma. Faen. It will not go well.

Bae's throat is strangling her after Faen's empathy counter-attack? That's some serious psycho-somatic power!

R.I.P. Bae.Let's hope Ash gets a much needed epiphany out of this.

I mean if DIVA can learn, why can't Ash?

Edit: As for Pulan and Octarya, they're in the hands of the best Drow parents this comic has ever shown us. I think Mel would be happy if she found out.... unless she's completely guano-crazy Snad worshiping by then, In which case, Ariel and Faen would need to, regretfully, put her out of her misery.
SzordrinZaphresz
Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Seraphiel » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:21 am

Is Faen the strongest empath there is? So far I think she's the only one who's shown the ability to boil someone's brain.
Seraphiel
Demon

Postby Margirita » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:02 pm

Funny head cannon theory:

So Ash is used to jacking into peoples brains during mating. If she meet someone who she could not jack into and puppet then mating with that person would be normal and bland. Faens father may have been a terrible mate because he completely neutralized Ash's ability's probably without knowing he did. (Unlike Quain who could and choose not to.)

Me thinks Faens father was a strong natural empath.
Margirita
Summoner

Postby Tainted Messiah » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:44 pm

Hot damn Faen just be savage on this page... well done girl.

While I have absolutely found her attachment to 'can't we all just get along' to sometimes be just mind numbingly aggravating given the events around her gotta respect her for this.

I mean she genuinely tried to convince Bae to give up this path of self destruction she was on right up to the end but after she wasted the last opportunity Faen seems to be very calmly choking her to death without even laying a hand on her.. hell even Ash doesn't seem to be entirely sure as to what is going on and she is supposed to be like a 1000 year old empath from the old world.

'I can't let you kill her' - well okay yeah Faen you sure took your sweet time letting Ash's face get introduced to the cement a bunch of times haha

'I'm sorry too' - This is definitely a different side from what I recall seeing of her.. I mean sure she has gone nuke a couple times showing power but wow that last frame where it seems clear she has decided this is it for Bae and she is going to choke her to death but is still at least some what sympathetic.. definitely not the Faen of old.
Tainted Messiah
Demon

Postby Tsakta » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:18 am

Tainted Messiah wrote:Hot damn Faen just be savage on this page... well done girl.

While I have absolutely found her attachment to 'can't we all just get along' to sometimes be just mind numbingly aggravating given the events around her gotta respect her for this.

I mean she genuinely tried to convince Bae to give up this path of self destruction she was on right up to the end but after she wasted the last opportunity Faen seems to be very calmly choking her to death without even laying a hand on her.. hell even Ash doesn't seem to be entirely sure as to what is going on and she is supposed to be like a 1000 year old empath from the old world.

'I can't let you kill her' - well okay yeah Faen you sure took your sweet time letting Ash's face get introduced to the cement a bunch of times haha

'I'm sorry too' - This is definitely a different side from what I recall seeing of her.. I mean sure she has gone nuke a couple times showing power but wow that last frame where it seems clear she has decided this is it for Bae and she is going to choke her to death but is still at least some what sympathetic.. definitely not the Faen of old.

You pointed out something interesting here, I think this is the first time Faen has killed somebody with empathy without doing a white-eyed empathy bomb. Could this mean she now has full control over it?
Tsakta
Tainted

Location: Elliptical orbit around a point eight inches to the left of the future
Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby almondbiscuit » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:36 am

Tainted Messiah wrote:'I'm sorry too' - This is definitely a different side from what I recall seeing of her.. I mean sure she has gone nuke a couple times showing power but wow that last frame where it seems clear she has decided this is it for Bae and she is going to choke her to death but is still at least some what sympathetic.. definitely not the Faen of old.

I wonder though if she's actually going to "let" Bae die, or if she's just making her point, and then will let go. Either would be a huge step up for her, frankly, and if she does the latter, she still gets to look like the all-forgiving hero while having made both her powers and her stance clear to Bae and Ash.
almondbiscuit
Tainted

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Junglefowl26 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:21 am

Tainted Messiah wrote:Hot damn Faen just be savage on this page... well done girl.

Judging by Kern's commentary, she isn't killing Bae, and really her hands aren't positioned for that.

Though speaking of Faen being savage - again I find it interesting that Faen offers no real defense of Ash other than it reflects poorly on them to kill her - she flat out calls Ash a bad mother here.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Tainted Messiah » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Tsakta wrote:You pointed out something interesting here, I think this is the first time Faen has killed somebody with empathy without doing a white-eyed empathy bomb. Could this mean she now has full control over it?

An interesting question for sure.. I mean if Faen was at the point she could go full Luffy King's Haki on everyone while in control it would make her one of the most dangerous characters in this story atm.

And there is a solid chance I mean in this whole exchange she has been calm and collected... seems to have over powered Bae fairly easily like I said seems like a different Faen of old when it comes to her powers.

almondbiscuit wrote:I wonder though if she's actually going to "let" Bae die, or if she's just making her point, and then will let go. Either would be a huge step up for her, frankly, and if she does the latter, she still gets to look like the all-forgiving hero while having made both her powers and her stance clear to Bae and Ash.

Junglefowl26 wrote:Judging by Kern's commentary, she isn't killing Bae, and really her hands aren't positioned for that.

Though speaking of Faen being savage - again I find it interesting that Faen offers no real defense of Ash other than it reflects poorly on them to kill her - she flat out calls Ash a bad mother here.

Well you two could be entirely right I might be wrong and she may not be killing her though at least right now that's not what I am taking away from this page ( though god knows I have been wrong like 1000 times haha ). I mean she gave a very calm explanation as to Ariel and company giving her 'another chance' yet her clearly still intending to betray them and Kern does make a point of having Ash say that it appears that Faen's empathy seems to be on a power level that she is tricking Bae's body into choking itself so she doesn't HAVE to put her hands on her.

That said I admit it would absolutely be in character for her to allow her to live despite all that she just said so I won't be stunned if she lets her escape ( annoyed but not surprised ). It would be a big departure for her character knowing that if push came to shove now she wasn't the one needing to be rescued anymore but rather is willing and capable of taking out threats on her own... kinda curious in that regard to see where Kern goes with it.

And yeah I actually liked the comments about Ash it too shows a definite step up in Faen's maturity/independence she isn't afraid to speak her mind anymore even about her absentee mother but unlike alot of the cast she doesn't just blame others for things she recognizes that ultimately she has to be responsible for who she wants to be...
Tainted Messiah
Demon

Previous

Return to Moonless Age