Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 124

Chapter 54 : page 124

Postby Kern » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:05 pm

Faen put an end to the stabbing.
Or at least tries. She thinks of little octarya and pelan there, if she let that happens, what then, do they stab her someday? Somebody has to stop the chain of stabbing at some point. :A
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Chapter 54 : page 124

Postby James Rye » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:06 pm

Add bad leader to the bad mother comment and I agree with you, Faen. Man, Ash really wasn't cut for being an empress if she keeps getting backstabbed like that.
James Rye
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Irae Maeviir » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:35 pm

"The slave can be silenced" so much for the whole "Free yourself for real" you said like 10 seconds ago...
Irae Maeviir
Tainted

Location: Watching what's going on from her own pocket dimension

Postby almondbiscuit » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:37 pm

Irae Maeviir wrote:"The slave can be silenced" so much for the whole "Free yourself for real" you said like 10 seconds ago...

Yeah, I can't imagine Bae won herself any points there. I can see the knife ending up in her back while she and Faen are busy arguing.
almondbiscuit
Tainted

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby Junglefowl26 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:04 pm

Well Faen, you can just not be the kind of mother than makes their kid want to stab them.

That is what Zala did. Well, did to Chrys anyway, Shinae very much wants to stab her.....
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Ardan Styyx » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:30 pm

That was a loooooong hesitation Faen, I am kind of disapointed there.

Now I agree the knife is very likely to end up in Bae's back. By the way, she still hasn't the guts to kill Ash by herself. She might be a double turncoat and a turde of a Nid for sure, but it seems "motherkiller" is a quality she is still reluctant to get.
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby SzordrinZaphresz » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:21 pm

Well put, Faen. Well put.

All ye nae sayers, this is Faen doing something. This is Faen doing something smart.

Being meek, humble, and subservient... she took the knife right out of Bae's hand, without a fuss. Aside from Ariel, who had Sarnel just around the corner with a sword to the assassin's back, and Quain'tana herself, can anyone point out where that has been done, and it worked?

Now, as for Bae getting stabbed in the back? The odds are quite good that's going to happen. Guess who's eyeing that knife right now...
SzordrinZaphresz
Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Sarah » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:19 pm

Ash: Had tons of children and neglected them to the point everyone in her family began to back-stab her.
Quain: Abused the very few children she had.
They were truly the perfect couple. XP

But yeah, Faen's right, the cycle of "stab every problem", especially within families, needs to end, and if Ash survives this, she had better learn some freakin' humility.
Sarah
Demon

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Smokehammer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:25 am

Sarah wrote:Ash: Had tons of children and neglected them to the point everyone in her family began to back-stab her.

But yeah, Faen's right, the cycle of "stab every problem", especially within families, needs to end, and if Ash survives this, she had better learn some freakin' humility.

And... Im not sure the neglect being described is cause for being anything but distant from your mom. I get that Faen has no real attachment to Ash emotionally but the appeal being made by Bae is fairly non-sequitur as there's pretty much zero reason for Faen to hate Ash either. Ash didnt beat or abuse her kids. She simply had so many she didnt give a crap about what they were doing. They were however, still fed and clothed and housed to a relative state of luxury. If anything somewhat like Kalki, her kids were spoiled. Now, if Bae wanted her dead because of her political machinations over the centuries, sure fine -but naturally Faen doesnt have an issue with that since she's been on Ash/Quain/Ariel's side the whole time.
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby The14th » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:56 am

Faen dropping a truth bomb there.
The14th
Summoner

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Mizu » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:37 am

I wonder if Ash is having any epiphanies or if she is being mad at 'daughter who came from the husband that was a terrible lay' for not defending her 'properly' by saying she doesn't suck and stabbing Bae for being a traitor.
Mizu
Dragon of the Nether

Postby El Bandito » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:54 am

Dropping the knife right in front of Ash, while distracting Bae with talks? Faen being subtle here. :D
El Bandito
Summoner

Postby Pitdragon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:07 am

Smokehammer wrote:
Sarah wrote:Ash: Had tons of children and neglected them to the point everyone in her family began to back-stab her.

And... Im not sure the neglect being described is cause for being anything but distant from your mom. I get that Faen has no real attachment to Ash emotionally but the appeal being made by Bae is fairly non-sequitur as there's pretty much zero reason for Faen to hate Ash either. Ash didnt beat or abuse her kids. She simply had so many she didnt give a crap about what they were doing. They were however, still fed and clothed and housed to a relative state of luxury. If anything somewhat like Kalki, her kids were spoiled. Now, if Bae wanted her dead because of her political machinations over the centuries, sure fine -but naturally Faen doesnt have an issue with that since she's been on Ash/Quain/Ariel's side the whole time.

She was abandoned when she needed her clan the most. Faen was noted to have a difficult version of the affinity and the response was "let her figure it out or implode, meh" which is pretty darn bad. Not only did it lead to a situation where Faen had to be abandoned even in name (teacher mind melt and Nihi's arm), but Faen herself was put through a ton of trauma because she was so far down the line that she wasn't worth the attention (something Shinae noted about Chrys' own lack of protection, even though Zala appears more willing to stick her neck out for a (biological) daughter than Ash). So in some ways, Bae does have a minor point, that if Ash had just set Faen with the right training from the start and never sent her to Ortho until she had things under control, then most of that trauma would've been avoided. She'd have never met Ariel and Ariel might have died I suspect, so there's that trade off... but Bae doesn't know those circumstances, and that doesn't make Faen's treatment suddenly alright because it lead to a circumstance of chance.

Those other points though I'd say your right, but not so much because Faen is on the Ariel/Quain/Ash side. It's because it doesn't have an effect on her in her mind. A lot of going on is from Ash's prodding (in some ways, perhaps her grand "stir up another clan" plan gave Snadhya some ideas and played into Snadhya's hands on many occasions), but that's hard to step back and see since it spans centuries. So Bae went for what she knew a younger Drow would be more interested in - familial connections. Of which Faen has little. Her clan neglected to help her, and she was sent away for her protection by a completely different person only to go through another horror show before her luck at meeting Ariel panned out, and then she was taken in by the Sarghress as yet another cast-off that was given a place and purpose. So focusing on that would gain more traction.

Though if Ash stabs Bae and is all "Yes, I win," I'm not sure she'd learn a lesson. Taking out Bae would play into the old Drow concepts of "Might = Right" and just continue the cycle. Of course, killing her as part of Quain's "don't leave your enemies alive" could also fulfill that.

I've always viewed Ash as a bit of the problem, and her attitude for a while now just proves it. She might not have been a better empress, and I've always pondered if being an empath would only make attitudes and actions worse in some ways. For this to really resolve, Ash needs to willingly remove herself from power. The one thing from Snadhya's anger I do find myself agreeing with is that the vestiges of the "old Elf" ways has lead to a ton of problems - namely the creation of her and the Triplets and the rest of the Nids. Instead of seeing their children as abberations to let fester until Sharess returns and magically fixes things (which is a dumb hang up) so they can go to the Surface and breed them out of existence, they should've handed the reins off to them after preparing them once it became clear that that might never happen. Society has been stuck in the "Exiled people" phase for too long, leading to the insane values they hold. Old grudges and dreams of youth held more values to the leaders of Chel than their future or their children. So here we are.

I guess what I'm saying is... I can understand why that stabbing instinct exists.
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Sionyx » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:57 am

I see a hamstringing in Bae's future. And I really would have loved to see Eria's actual answer to the offer of the knife, but oh, well.

While Ash certainly isn't winning any Mother Of The Year awards any time soon, it seems like the Sink Or Swim method of child raising is fairly common with the drow nobility. I saw it referred to elsewhere (TVTropes, maybe) as Val mothers caring more about quality of children than quantity. Of course, this parenting method gave Snads PLENTY of recruits as kids looking for guidance came through Orthorbbae.

It does make sense for Faen to defend Ash. While Ash isn't shown to be the most attentive mother, we have seen her express pride in Faen at least twice (once when Faen went to ask about where the supplies were and once when Faen showed she'd learned empath defenses from Kel). Hardly ideal circumstances, but they probably made an impact.
Sionyx
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Mizu » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:01 am

Smokehammer wrote:

Besides not training her properly to wield the super dangerous power she was born with that actively made her miserable to boot (even before the incident she had problems controlling it and was clearly miserable from the uncontrolled reading she performed on others), doing nothing for her when her improper training lead to an incident that saw people dead or maimed leaving Faen traumatized and in trouble, Faen being further traumatized by immortality seeking goblins before Ariel saved her after she had to go on the run with no support from Ashie, that time Ashie welcomed her home by mind raping her and giving a paranoid rant about how she must be out to get her like all her other children because she decided to go live with Ariel at her clan after Ariel actually supported her unlike dear old mom, and that time she ordered artillery fire on her friend Chiri's village like a week before this scene? Any single one of those would be pretty fertile ground for an at least semi justified grudge and all of them together would not make me unsympathetic if that grudge was murderous.

Well, I'm not 100% sure if Faen and Chiri are friends or just have a mutual friend in regards to that last one.
Mizu
Dragon of the Nether

Next

Return to Moonless Age