Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 92

Re: Chapter 54 : page 92

Postby Whizzard » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:28 am

If anyone didn' know, DT is based on D&D drows who are evil moraless creatures who enjoy torture, slavery and sex. DT drows are a bit milder but these elements are still very much present in the world setting. For every nice drow you have a thousand that are not so nice. Which is why some of the heroes of the story are actually fucked up people. After all, who is hero and who is villain is all the matter of perspective.

In real life we have people as well who we view as the good guys but who have done some really questionable or outright evil things.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Junglefowl26 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:07 pm

Obsidian Agent wrote:
sunhawk wrote:
konafallen wrote:Why everybody always gotta die? So depressing.

This is drowtales. Grim derp is the norm.

The owls have taken all the losses so far.

Unfortunately, Grimderp is the LEAST of DT's problems. Moral dissonance is another one, as is what even positive reviews call "a massive hard-on for the Drow". And if even half the things I've heard on the old Skype group two years ago are true, then there are some disturbing similarities to what was going on with Channel Awesome/That Guy With The Glasses before its recent implosion.

I really have to call BS on that. Yeah, I see that repeated a lot, but BS repeated often is still BS. I mean, sure it is not a pvp-balanced world, but it isn't a game world, so does it really need to be? I mean, humans have all the advantages over, say, goblins in a lot of settings, but no one throws fits over that. And really, that is what a lot of the complaints boil down to - how dare the setting not be human-centric.

(And really, that is something I find downright creepy about fandom in many settings. I mean, James Cameron's avatar is not my favorite by any stretch, but it is a bit disturbing how many people are openly rooting for the murderous invaders just because they are human. Or how about Warhammer 40K - I could go on all day about how everyone acts like the Imperium of Man are good guys even though they are just as bad as the other factions. And I could go longer about how they take this attitude into every other setting.)

Another big chunk of the complaints comes down to not understanding the idea that depiction is not necessarily endorsement. Drow society in the comic is messed up - and it is supposed to be messed up. What is especially baffling is how many reviewers seem to think the comic is pro-slavery, even though the main character is opposed to slavery.

Furthermore, even the regular readers can be rather prone to hyperbole and forgetfulness. A few pages ago it was all about the main characters are mary sues who have no losses or setbacks, and now it is about how the comic is always grimderp because the main characters are suffering some loses and setbacks. :P

Finally, there is also seems to be a game of telephone thing going on. A lot of the reviews I have seen site TV Tropes rather than the comic itself, or other reviews, twisting events to be more and more negative with each retelling. Heck, TV Tropes itself often posts misremembered or weirdly interpreted versions of events, in particular ones that try to turn the Hermoine into heroic defenders of humanity protecting their homes rather than being brutal imperialists from another continent.

For example, the other day I saw a tv tropes entry claiming that Ys was a former Hermoine town (even though they live far to the north) and Ariel was defending the slave trade there, somehow ignoring that it was clearly stated that the Hermoine had attacked the town and that the captured Hermoine nobleman was a prisoner of war. It wouldn't even be established that Ys had slaves until many chapters later, when Ariel freed them.

I don't know anything about the Channel Awesome breakup, so I can't comment on that.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Moric » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:06 pm

Junglefowl26 wrote:I really have to call BS on that. Yeah, ...

You nailed it on the head. DT has been, from the [now rewritten] start, an exploration into a deeply flawed (generally characterized as "Chaotic Evil" from original TSR source material) society alien to our own. The degree of dystopia found in Chel'el'Sussoloth is better explored here. To be honest, my own drow culture (in my own table-top universe) is much, much worse. Mind you, I can do that as they are antagonists. It's just too hard on the mind to find any sympathetic attachment to wild-eyed butchers, slavers, and rapists, or care if one is slightly less horrible than another, so I do not begrudge the lightened tone here.
Junglefowl26 wrote:I don't know anything about the Channel Awesome breakup, so I can't comment on that.

I used to watch it years ago, but it fell into a rut. I was surprised that it was still operational TBH. An article that goes over the situation is here.
Moric
Demon

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Moric » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:11 pm

Doom Chinchilla wrote:So I take Ariel's plan didn't work... Sang's wolves are killing Mimians right at the feet of the Feldian golems, there is no way the Feldians haven't still realized that Sang is on her side. .

"Retreat to the north island" doesn't sound like orders to meet bosom companions. As coated as the fan blades are, perhaps a chunk just hit the oscillation switch, and it's too late to prevent full 3-way chaos.
Moric
Demon

Postby Moric » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:37 am

Well...

Having read Obsidian Agent's post.... wow....

I won't go into the skype stuff, because I have zero clue about it, other than my mind is reeling from the $10,000 chapter - *omfg* too rich for my blood.

When it comes to fiction and physics, there isn't a whole lot that can do both right at the same time. A nine foot tall Quain'tana isn't going to bother me, as the comic draws from a source that also had eighteen foot tall cloud giants. A nine moon world doesn't make much sense, but then, having a massive, labyrinthine Underdark is also pretty ludicrous. I don't mind because I enjoyed playing Eberron (twelve) and reading the Discworld Series (all sorts of bad science). Heck, if I were to start thinking about the physics of my fiction, I'd be pounding my skull in at any given Star Trek episode (hint: activating something as basic as the simple transporter even once should turn the entire ship into a super-hot ball of plasma and gamma rays).

The anticlimactic Herm battle could have been fleshed out much more, if only for storytelling's sake. but the last chapter was pretty big regardless. I'm not sure of all the constraints that the DT artists have regarding production and story-boarding, and I'm not too interested.
Moric
Demon

Postby evilmike » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:44 am

Obsidian Agent wrote:stuffs

Ah, the old Trek/StarDestroyer wars. Good times, good times.

As for the other drama.....*shrugs* All I have to say is that if you want to pay ANYBODY $10K for ANYTHING you had better have a written and signed contract, drooled upon by attorney-beasts, and ninja samurai wombat lawyers ready to go if Stuff Happens.

As for the whole "oh noes its about drow/blue space injuns/whatever"...…..I like how George Martin based the GOT thing off the English War of the Roses. That way if anybody complained about how devious, twisted, and bloody the series was he could trot out Ye Olde Histories, which just shows that Kern is a lightweight when it comes to drawing a webcomic about pointy-eared BDSM chicks Doing Bad Things to other folks. The Roman Empire did far, far worse stuff to people...and they were the good guys. And don't get me started about what goes on in North Korea......or Vietnam...or China....or Africa......or the MIddle East...….every day.

Its just a sexy webcomic, folks. Enjoy the ride.
evilmike
Summoner

Previous

Return to Moonless Age