Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 82

Re: Chapter 54 : page 82

Postby Junglefowl26 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:19 pm

Interesting. I wonder if there is a limit to how much they can eat - and if there is, what happens? Do they pop? Puke out nether? Hibernate?

I am also curious about how widening the gate works - draw a bigger circle, put in more stones*, poor more energy into it?

Finally, how much does she know about what is going wrong, and what exactly does she think is happening if she is unaware of the nurse demons' actions?

Hmm...you know, we haven't seen what the Raiders are up to in a while...or Sang's legion for that matter....

*where do foci, summoning stones, and sealing stones come from anyway? Are they mined, or is there some process to make them? And who runs the business of mining or making them, because they must be rich.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Doom Chinchilla » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:19 pm

Junglefowl26 wrote:
*where do foci, summoning stones, and sealing stones come from anyway? Are they mined, or is there some process to make them? And who runs the business of mining or making them, because they must be rich.

The old podcasts implied that foci were "carved", using earth sorcery to make "channels" or something like that inside the stones. You need a stone that is able to hold a lot of mana (not all minerals can be used), is resilient (like a crystal or gem, a mere pebble or rock wouldn't do) and isn't too hard to carve (diamonds are useless, since they are too hard to carve).

Golem cores are similar.

Foci and core making is taught at Orthobbae, and there are clans that make them as a business (the Kal'yantra make golems, the Val'Nabahn'veaka used to mine minerals and make focis... thats the reason they were so good at cutting crystals like Chel's crust...).

As for sealing stones, I think any stone resilient enough and able to hold mana will do...

Soulmir are similar to sealing stones, I think...
Doom Chinchilla
Dragon of the Nether

Location: Aboard the Bird-Of-The-River, sailing the Yann to Bethmoora

Postby Moric » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:41 pm

Junglefowl26 wrote:Interesting. I wonder if there is a limit to how much they can eat - and if there is, what happens? Do they pop? Puke out nether? Hibernate?

There are some references that can be considered. Kharla was able to consume the demon-god, albeit very imperfectly, and failed to "digest" it, thus it regained itself as Kharla was being physically eaten.

Tainted-golem Leale ate Khaless, which was such a enormous meal that she turned into a full demon. Khaless, for her part, had consumed the auras(/souls?) of hundreds of drow, which, once given the opportunity of oblivion, rebelled against the primary demonic psyche of the Khaless-demon.

I would suppose that there is a limit, based upon the differential between the wills of the eater and the eaten, as well as the differential between the size and potency of their respective aurae.

As the tentacles are likely of low animal intelligence, the nurses could possibly eat vast amounts of them with little problem. (Okay, they might be more lewd afterwards) I suppose that there may be a limit to the amount, both in rate and cumulative, of nether a nurse can (safely?) consume. What happens is the fun part. I would think that the nurse either stops, slows, or loses control.

Junglefowl26 wrote:I am also curious about how widening the gate works - draw a bigger circle, put in more stones*, poor more energy into it?

I'd hazard that all the above contribute, as well as force of will to control it.

Junglefowl26 wrote:Finally, how much does she know about what is going wrong, and what exactly does she think is happening if she is unaware of the nurse demons' actions?

The tentacles aren't climbing the tower?

Junglefowl26 wrote:Hmm...you know, we haven't seen what the Raiders are up to in a while...or Sang's legion for that matter....

We need to reach maximum cliffhanger first.

Junglefowl26 wrote:*where do foci, summoning stones, and sealing stones come from anyway? Are they mined, or is there some process to make them? And who runs the business of mining or making them, because they must be rich.

The raw material can vary. Sha'shi mines them, amber works, as well as Jaal-made abominations. Turning a raw stone into something useful probably falls under mana arts.
Moric
Demon

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Dalvyserran » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:20 pm

The14th wrote:Oh yay, are we finally gonna see a cameo die?

Uhh... Where have you been? Cameos have died before. One of mine died in this very chapter.
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Moric » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:47 am

Dalvyserran wrote:

Uhh... Where have you been? Cameos have died before. One of mine died in this very chapter.

And what a death!

Seriously, I'd love to scurry away enough lucre to cameo a villain, and beg for a gruesome death. Something like falling down a chasm, landing impaled on her own spear (now imbedded in the rock), begging for hours (or days!) for help, only to be "rescued" by feral Xuile'solen...who do not bother with such niceties as killing before eating.
Moric
Demon

Postby Kardwill » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:36 pm

Junglefowl26 wrote:I am also curious about how widening the gate works - draw a bigger circle, put in more stones*, poor more energy into it?

Since she can not start over and draw a better circle with more well placed stones, I guess it means "thowing lots of enery inside until it gains in strength", and is probably just as safe as widening a doorway by throwing explosives ^^;
Kardwill
Summoner

Postby Moric » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:08 pm

Kardwill wrote:

Since she can not start over and draw a better circle with more well placed stones, I guess it means "thowing lots of enery inside until it gains in strength", and is probably just as safe as widening a doorway by throwing explosives ^^;

I suspect that it's worse than that. More like, "widening a doorway with a miniature black hole, manually".
Moric
Demon

Postby vernes » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:55 am

Moric wrote:
Dalvyserran wrote:

And what a death!

Seriously, I'd love to scurry away enough lucre to cameo a villain, and beg for a gruesome death. Something like falling down a chasm, landing impaled on her own spear (now imbedded in the rock), begging for hours (or days!) for help, only to be "rescued" by feral Xuile'solen...who do not bother with such niceties as killing before eating.

Wouldn't mind a cameo death but he has to have enough scars before he dies epicly.
vernes
Summoner

Postby Junglefowl26 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:50 pm

Doom Chinchilla wrote:
Junglefowl26 wrote:

The old podcasts implied that foci were "carved", using earth sorcery to make "channels" or something like that inside the stones. You need a stone that is able to hold a lot of mana (not all minerals can be used), is resilient (like a crystal or gem, a mere pebble or rock wouldn't do) and isn't too hard to carve (diamonds are useless, since they are too hard to carve).

Golem cores are similar.

Foci and core making is taught at Orthobbae, and there are clans that make them as a business (the Kal'yantra make golems, the Val'Nabahn'veaka used to mine minerals and make focis... thats the reason they were so good at cutting crystals like Chel's crust...).

As for sealing stones, I think any stone resilient enough and able to hold mana will do...

Soulmir are similar to sealing stones, I think...

Moric wrote:
Junglefowl26 wrote:Interesting. I wonder if there is a limit to how much they can eat - and if there is, what happens? Do they pop? Puke out nether? Hibernate?

There are some references that can be considered. Kharla was able to consume the demon-god, albeit very imperfectly, and failed to "digest" it, thus it regained itself as Kharla was being physically eaten.

Tainted-golem Leale ate Khaless, which was such a enormous meal that she turned into a full demon. Khaless, for her part, had consumed the auras(/souls?) of hundreds of drow, which, once given the opportunity of oblivion, rebelled against the primary demonic psyche of the Khaless-demon.

I would suppose that there is a limit, based upon the differential between the wills of the eater and the eaten, as well as the differential between the size and potency of their respective aurae.

As the tentacles are likely of low animal intelligence, the nurses could possibly eat vast amounts of them with little problem. (Okay, they might be more lewd afterwards) I suppose that there may be a limit to the amount, both in rate and cumulative, of nether a nurse can (safely?) consume. What happens is the fun part. I would think that the nurse either stops, slows, or loses control.

I'd hazard that all the above contribute, as well as force of will to control it.

Junglefowl26 wrote:Finally, how much does she know about what is going wrong, and what exactly does she think is happening if she is unaware of the nurse demons' actions?

The tentacles aren't climbing the tower?

Junglefowl26 wrote:Hmm...you know, we haven't seen what the Raiders are up to in a while...or Sang's legion for that matter....

We need to reach maximum cliffhanger first.

Junglefowl26 wrote:*where do foci, summoning stones, and sealing stones come from anyway? Are they mined, or is there some process to make them? And who runs the business of mining or making them, because they must be rich.

The raw material can vary. Sha'shi mines them, amber works, as well as Jaal-made abominations. Turning a raw stone into something useful probably falls under mana arts.

Sorry for not responding sooner, but thanks for these interesting and informative posts!
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Previous

Return to Moonless Age