Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

chapter 54 : Page 81

Re: chapter 54 : Page 81

Postby Moatl » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:36 pm

Oh irony. The mighty Kyorl demon hunters are save by a mighty demon. 8P

AND: The demon's eye reminds me to the Instagram logo. :P
Moatl
Vel'akar

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby IronBear » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:19 pm

Since pretty much the start of this comic I have been pretty much "Down with Demons". At best they are dangerous playthings that could break free at any moment to cause annoying but playful chaos. At worst they were sentient nuclear bombs that ate people. The powers they offered were only for the short-sighted and desperate. They earned their moniker of "demon ' for me.

But the Demon nurses are the first time I have actually ever thought to myself "Snadhya'rune might be in the right." Snadhya is still clearly evil in my mind, but she may be right that the long term solution to the "Demon Problem" might not be strict quarantine, but symbiosis. Allies such as the Demon Nurses would allow the drow to never destroy their world via demons again. And if you combined demon studies with the flesh manipulation of the Jaal'darya, it might be possible to make hosts for such beneficial demons without taking drow lives. It also makes Snadhya's allies and minions make more sense. Maybe they are just a bunch of psychopaths with poor planning skills. Maybe Snadhya's seduced followers like Mel with the beneficial aspects of her studies into demons so they oblivious to the company that Snadhya keeps.
IronBear
Nether Seed

Clan: Sarghress

Postby lord_foebane » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:47 pm

IronBear wrote:Since pretty much the start of this comic I have been pretty much "Down with Demons". At best they are dangerous playthings that could break free at any moment to cause annoying but playful chaos. At worst they were sentient nuclear bombs that ate people. The powers they offered were only for the short-sighted and desperate. They earned their moniker of "demon ' for me.

But the Demon nurses are the first time I have actually ever thought to myself "Snadhya'rune might be in the right." Snadhya is still clearly evil in my mind, but she may be right that the long term solution to the "Demon Problem" might not be strict quarantine, but symbiosis. Allies such as the Demon Nurses would allow the drow to never destroy their world via demons again. And if you combined demon studies with the flesh manipulation of the Jaal'darya, it might be possible to make hosts for such beneficial demons without taking drow lives. It also makes Snadhya's allies and minions make more sense. Maybe they are just a bunch of psychopaths with poor planning skills. Maybe Snadhya's seduced followers like Mel with the beneficial aspects of her studies into demons so they oblivious to the company that Snadhya keeps.

They are an interesting gear in her overall plans given many of her followers vary between being zealots to straight up crazy. Though more think about it more it makes sense that the nurses operate on an utterly alien logic in their task, it could be that they were made to be "dummy" proof in their duty to prevent misuse somehow by the more crazy followers (though remains to be seen if their dummy proof enough to someone wanting to open the big gate they take care of).

The most interesting aspect though being shown on this page is part of their function seems to be as the equivalent of nuclear "cooling rods" for the demons and nether gate, if you think of the gate like a nuclear reactor having it in the middle of your city it would make sense to have a stop valve so it doesn't accidentally "cook off" and swallow your city.
lord_foebane
Tik'tikki

Postby Mizu » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:24 am

I suppose it makes sense that someone who screws around with demon summoning as much as Snadhya would have some sort of fail safe around in case of demon rampages from failed experiments or over enthusiastic minions.
Mizu
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby PSadlon » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:47 am

I have never been so happy to see the creepy nurse demons.
PSadlon
Summoner

Postby Margirita » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:39 am

I think both Drow and demons alike are pawns to Snads plans for power. The Drow figured out that Snads up to no good however these poor demons being secluded and shown no other path then that of Snad are not so lucky. Hopefully the demon friends can save them. :P
Margirita
Summoner

Postby 'Lement » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:08 am

...I thought they were harmless or possibly remote trigger bombs, but nobody has actually tried fighting them before, have they?

They're also 'just' really good at deescalation, to the point of convincing invading kyorl warriors to not attack demons clearly having taken over drow bodies.

I thought the untainted white cloaks were the police force, but the real police force was under our nose the whole time.

Jeez. Now if only they had will, intelligence and allegiance to go with it.

*looks at Kau*

Kau: "Why is that demon looking at me like that?"
'Lement
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby lord_foebane » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:24 am

'Lement wrote: They're also 'just' really good at deescalation, to the point of convincing invading kyorl warriors to not attack demons clearly having taken over drow bodies.

That...that could be the missing piece to what I was thinking about it earlier. Who better to deal with a bunch of zealous crazies then someone (something) designed to deescalate those often unreasonable people (could be why their demeanor seems to be one of an almost alien like calm and desire to "help"), they could also be OP as well and that acts as a further deterant to Shad's people since anyone crazy enough to attack them...well I'm sure we'll evidently get to see what happens when you don't listen to the nurses or step out of line and attack them, my money is on there not being a body left afterward.
lord_foebane
Tik'tikki

Postby Myr'nolu » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:31 am

The14th wrote:Chalk up another for the weird nurse demons. If they didn't require an unwilling host I'd say they were almost safe to have around.

Waitwhat?!?
OK, back up. How are these Nurse Demons made?
And is there a page that describes or shows that process?
Myr'nolu
Nether Seed

Postby evilmike » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:35 am

Well.

o_O

*ooo*

*hmmm*

This was....unexpected...…

*beer*
evilmike
Summoner

Postby FireWalker » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:13 pm

I'm sorry, but all I can hear in this page is SLUUUUUUUUUUUUUURP! *ooo*
FireWalker
Nether Seed

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby 'Lement » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:21 pm

@Myr'nolu: Same way discordia was 'made', I expect. Taking over a drows' body. There was a page on that, but I don't have time to go archive diving for it now.

The only cases where this is not true for physical body has been for tainted rock summons, and I imagine you can't do that with regular nether demons.
'Lement
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Junglefowl26 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:42 pm

Myr'nolu wrote:
The14th wrote:Chalk up another for the weird nurse demons. If they didn't require an unwilling host I'd say they were almost safe to have around.

Waitwhat?!?
OK, back up. How are these Nurse Demons made?
And is there a page that describes or shows that process?

The process is like any other demon - in this page, we see Kalki talking about her plan to infect Shala with the same type of demon as the nurses: http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=10253
In the next few pages, she infects Kau instead. http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=10255
(Though they do have a few counters http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=10263)
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby IronBear » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:44 pm

lord_foebane wrote:
IronBear wrote:Since pretty much the start of this comic I have been pretty much "Down with Demons". At best they are dangerous playthings that could break free at any moment to cause annoying but playful chaos. At worst they were sentient nuclear bombs that ate people. The powers they offered were only for the short-sighted and desperate. They earned their moniker of "demon ' for me.

They are an interesting gear in her overall plans given many of her followers vary between being zealots to straight up crazy. Though more think about it more it makes sense that the nurses operate on an utterly alien logic in their task, it could be that they were made to be "dummy" proof in their duty to prevent misuse somehow by the more crazy followers (though remains to be seen if their dummy proof enough to someone wanting to open the big gate they take care of).

The most interesting aspect though being shown on this page is part of their function seems to be as the equivalent of nuclear "cooling rods" for the demons and nether gate, if you think of the gate like a nuclear reactor having it in the middle of your city it would make sense to have a stop valve so it doesn't accidentally "cook off" and swallow your city.

Have you considered the possibility that the demon nurses are actually altruists from another universe and Snadhya just lied to them about her agenda and authority? Suppose you were a relief worker assigned to Northern Nigeria. You arrive with no clue as to what the political situation is. Up to comes the daughter of the local headman/chief/mayor and headmaster of the local girl's school. She thanks you for coming and offers you a place to help the locals. What you don't realize is you are only helping the soldiers and supporters of the woman and she keeps you sequestered in her compound for your own safety.

The demon nurses may not be stupid or poorly programmed, just naive and misinformed. And we know that manipulation is Snadhya's specialty.
IronBear
Nether Seed

Postby IronBear » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:47 pm

Margirita wrote:I think both Drow and demons alike are pawns to Snads plans for power. The Drow figured out that Snads up to no good however these poor demons being secluded and shown no other path then that of Snad are not so lucky. Hopefully the demon friends can save them. :P

I agree. My guess is that the demon nurses are just altruists from another universe that came to help, but were manipulated by Snadhya.
IronBear
Nether Seed

PreviousNext

Return to Moonless Age