Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Drowtales and real-world politics

Drowtales and real-world politics

Postby moonwalker » Sun May 27, 2018 7:13 pm

I understand that subject might tempt a rather heated argument, so I ask let's please keep it civil. With that out of the way, it just occurred to me that Snadya reminds me of modern day Russia - bullshitting their way around, poisoning people abroad, providing means for terrorist attacks, vying for global domination, all while speaking of wanting peace. Which got me thinking, are there any other (whether intentional or unintentional) similarities between factions or characters in Drowtales and real-world political entities?
moonwalker
Summoner

Re: Drowtales and real-world politics

Postby Moric » Mon May 28, 2018 1:32 am

moonwalker wrote:I understand that subject might tempt a rather heated argument, so I ask let's please keep it civil. With that out of the way, it just occurred to me that Snadya reminds me of modern day Russia - bullshitting their way around, poisoning people abroad, providing means for terrorist attacks, vying for global domination, all while speaking of wanting peace. Which got me thinking, are there any other (whether intentional or unintentional) similarities between factions or characters in Drowtales and real-world political entities?

Well, to be fully honest, Vladimir Putin is a harmless bunny compared to Snadykins. Yes, Putin is a nasty piece of work, but when you peel back the layers, he wants to rule the world more or less intact. Snadhya'rune, however, would be perfectly happy to be the last fae alive so long as she has absolute power over the Three Worlds.

When one considers scale of destruction, the carnage she wrought with the Nidraa'chal War, her Orthorbbae tainting policy, the destruction of all surface colonies during the District War (and subsequent mass starvation), and I suppose Machike's destruction too, made the Nazis and Daesh both look like amateurs.

I would suspect that when all the dead by violence, starvation, and tainting are tallied, we are looking at about 30-50% of the Chelian population was killed off, and higher for Vals. That percentage will undoubtedly increase as the tainted begin to fall to their seeds.
Moric
Summoner

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Whizzard » Mon May 28, 2018 1:50 pm

Btw, we have a subforum for stuff like this and it's called "Questions and world setting".

It'll probably be moved soon anyhow.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Castamir » Tue May 29, 2018 4:22 pm

Moric wrote:Well, to be fully honest, Vladimir Putin is a harmless bunny compared to Snadykins. Yes, Putin is a nasty piece of work, but when you peel back the layers, he wants to rule the world more or less intact. Snadhya'rune, however, would be perfectly happy to be the last fae alive so long as she has absolute power over the Three Worlds.

Doesn't seem that way to me. He's perfectly willing to do very reckless things, He ordered false-flag terrorist bombings of his own citizens (with evidence provided by Litvinenko and some independently, including FSB agents caught by local police in one case), just to seize power and boost his ratings. Just think how badly this could have backfired.

If you go into mass murder of your own people just to win an election, I don't think there's much you would stop at. He's thoroughly amoral, but rational — he won't use nukes because America and Europe are so much stronger economically that, after a fairly even nuclear exchange, Russia would be crushed. Neither Snadhya nor Putin do things "for the evulz".
When one considers scale of destruction, the carnage she wrought with the Nidraa'chal War, her Orthorbbae tainting policy, the destruction of all surface colonies during the District War (and subsequent mass starvation), and I suppose Machike's destruction too, made the Nazis and Daesh both look like amateurs.

I would suspect that when all the dead by violence, starvation, and tainting are tallied, we are looking at about 30-50% of the Chelian population was killed off, and higher for Vals. That percentage will undoubtedly increase as the tainted begin to fall to their seeds.

You misunderstand their aims. Such bastards want absolute power, rather than turning the world to ashes. I don't think Hitler really hated Jews — it was even worse, he didn't care. They were merely a convenient target he could use to unify "real" Germans under his rule. Snads is a pretty realistic villain in a non-realistic world.
Castamir
Nether Seed

Postby MagicSkyshark » Tue May 29, 2018 10:58 pm

MagicSkyshark
Tainted

Clan: Valley'gurl

Return to Moonless Age