Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 63

Chapter 54 : page 63

Postby Kern » Fri May 11, 2018 8:54 am

More engage into the fight, forcing them to awaken some of the tower's defenses.
But is it ever truly going to be enough? This is going to get messier with time passing. The beginning of a skirmish, with none of the troops outside even engaged yet.
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Chapter 54 : page 63

Postby Ardan Styyx » Fri May 11, 2018 10:14 am

This is starting to be quite confusing... As expected I guess.
Engaging "neutrals" might not be the brightest idea there, but I suppose the situation is already too messy to avoid it.

I really hope Kel had some good intel and that the Wolpack has a clear objective in the tower, like search and destroy Snad. Otherwise it's going to be a short-lived operation.
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Postby Whizzard » Fri May 11, 2018 1:45 pm

"Hahahaaa, my evil golem of swirling blades of death will cut them into pieces and win the day!"
"Ma'am your golem is gone!"
"Gone, what do you mean gone!?"
"I think they stole it!"
"Stole it!? Do they take everything that's not nailed down?!"
"No ma'am, they also took the stuff we did nail down along with the nails!"
"Those bloody magpies, unbelieveable!"
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Junglefowl26 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Yeah, more golem fights!

Though, as scary as the multi-sword golem looks, I think it is probably more effective against infantry than other golems.

Still, the longer they are here, they greater their chance of being overwhelmed. Hope they have a way out, and some clear objective to mark a win condition.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby sunhawk » Fri May 11, 2018 6:16 pm

Kel'noz's objective is probably Mel'anarch and Zhor.

Mel is Snad'hyarune's weakness and most prized possession.
sunhawk
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Ardan Styyx » Fri May 11, 2018 6:38 pm

sunhawk wrote:Kel'noz's objective is probably Mel'anarch and Zhor.

Mel is Snad'hyarune's weakness and most prized possession.

I hope it is part of the objective, indeed, but not the whole of it, otherwise that would be a very costly operation for a rather limited prize.

Don't get me wrong : Mel is one of my favorite caracter by far and I'd love to see her reunited with her family, along with Zhor. However, I am not so sure about the "Snad's kryptonit" aspect.

Surely the latter is in love with her, and Mel is probably the ONLY living being she ever was ABLE to love beside herself. But considering Snad's craving ambition and how she so easily pushed her back in Quain's claws to fulfill her own agenda, I wouldn't be so certain Mel's rescue would achieve anything but pissing off the big villain for a while.

And even if it has a more important effect, what next? Are the Wolfpack going to use her as a bargaining pawn? Of course not. They would be back to square one, with at best a lot of casualties and even less area to sick refuge.
Mel could be pushed to seize Sarg's Ilharess position, as the legitimate heir she could have been (but never was), but it doesn't make sense, nor would she or the clan accept that (and neither Ariel, probably) *hmmm*
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Postby 'Lement » Fri May 11, 2018 7:47 pm

Agreed. Not only wouldn't the wolfpack harm her, Kel'noz had centuries to talk with her; what even remains there to do for siblings together?

I'd think current objective would be just seizing control of the tower.

Their initial plans weren't to crash, and were to just lead an army to Felde.

Still, the page well shows the escalating chaos. Also, Jaals make cute things. I wonder if that tail is sensitive?

Also, the golem reminds me of the sword-training golem Chiri fought. Which reminds me of fire. I wonder if we'll see some?

It'd pair so well with things immune to heat.
'Lement
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Whizzard » Fri May 11, 2018 8:04 pm

'Lement wrote:Agreed. Not only wouldn't the wolfpack harm her, Kel'noz had centuries to talk with her; what even remains there to do for siblings together?

To destroy Mel's illusions of Snadhya's benelovence for good. Mel'anarch would make a powerful ally with her powers and knowledge of Snadhya. And there's nothing worse than a woman scorned! All they need to do is to show Mel that her children still live. And for Ariel to tell how Snadhya's cronies came with a warship to kill her and Mel's children.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Moric » Fri May 11, 2018 9:12 pm

Their escape vehicle is trashed, so there is no longer any victory condition here that does not include lengthy ship repairs and/or a triumphal march through town. The Wolfpack must take the tower, quickly and decisively.

As for Mel, I'm not sure if she is here. It's possible, as her wardrobe is entirely for indoor activities, but I think that Snadhya'rune is pretty fixated on getting use from her sex toy. It would be great to have Ariel introduce her siblings to Mel, and relay how the oldest brother was butchered. As a bonus, informing Mel that her own twin brother is dying might have some minor poignancy. Even so, I don't view Mel to be any special asset, other than a teacher of the monster/combat form that she has.

As for the arachno-golem, for pity's sake, aim for the knees!
Moric
Summoner

Postby Junglefowl26 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:31 pm

I also wonder if Mel is there. If Snad is not here, then there is a good chance Mel is in Chel.

And, while I love Mel and want to her to be happy....I am not sure what happy ending she can have at this point, either she is going to be heartbroken over Snad or over Ariel and the kids....

In particular, Mel's post-timeskip arc has had her grow all the closer and more involved with the Nids (barring punching Jiaan), going from refusing to support them to fighting alongside them on the battlefield, and threatening to kill Chrys just for going through Snad's stuff. And after three more years with Snad, under the peace that I am sure Snad took credit for, hating the Sarghress even more for killing her babies (and to be fair, they certainly tried, and they did get one) - and hell, at this point she might be raising a new Jaal baby with Snad.

If Mel is here...I think she will kill Kel.
Then Ariel will get pissed at her, and things will be super sad and tragic and :( ...just :(

As for the tower...maybe they can take it, but how long can they hold it? Even with the raiders their numbers are not large and Felde has many defenses. And if they do somehow take the city, how long till an alliance army comes with all the might of Chel?

Admittedly, I remember one of the objectives was to start a fight between the legion after them and Felde, and with the confusion of the Raider attack, the Feldians might assume the Legion are on Ariel's side and attack (and with her hate of Sharen, I can almost see Sang taking the chance to smash Snad's stuff and say "hey I just pursuing some rebels as ordered" afterwards)

Assuming that Sang comes at all. She is a veteran military officer, she might try a different approach to going after the airship.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby sunhawk » Fri May 11, 2018 11:55 pm

Junglefowl26 wrote:I also wonder if Mel is there. If Snad is not here, then there is a good chance Mel is in Chel.

And, while I love Mel and want to her to be happy....I am not sure what happy ending she can have at this point, either she is going to be heartbroken over Snad or over Ariel and the kids....

In particular, Mel's post-timeskip arc has had her grow all the closer and more involved with the Nids (barring punching Jiaan), going from refusing to support them to fighting alongside them on the battlefield, and threatening to kill Chrys just for going through Snad's stuff. And after three more years with Snad, under the peace that I am sure Snad took credit for, hating the Sarghress even more for killing her babies (and to be fair, they certainly tried, and they did get one) - and hell, at this point she might be raising a new Jaal baby with Snad.

If Mel is here...I think she will kill Kel.
Then Ariel will get pissed at her, and things will be super sad and tragic and :( ...just :(

As for the tower...maybe they can take it, but how long can they hold it? Even with the raiders their numbers are not large and Felde has many defenses. And if they do somehow take the city, how long till an alliance army comes with all the might of Chel?

Admittedly, I remember one of the objectives was to start a fight between the legion after them and Felde, and with the confusion of the Raider attack, the Feldians might assume the Legion are on Ariel's side and attack (and with her hate of Sharen, I can almost see Sang taking the chance to smash Snad's stuff and say "hey I just pursuing some rebels as ordered" afterwards)

Assuming that Sang comes at all. She is a veteran military officer, she might try a different approach to going after the airship.

Sang is a Nid, and has been since before becoming a Sarghress. Snad saved her from the Sharen. Gave her the Golem limbs and sent her to the sarghress. Sang works towards the day where the vals are abolished and only Empress Snad'hyarune rules.
sunhawk
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Moric » Sat May 12, 2018 12:19 am

Kel is probably bedridden, and I also note that we don't see Ash... ;) So, unless Mel plows through everyone, including Ariel, he's pretty safe.

I'm not sure if Snadhya'rune is very interested in babies. Kalki was a possession at best, and as she lacked the one ability that she wanted, was disposable. Ariel has it, but she can't be corrupted, and thus a lost cause. A product of Mel and Zhor worked, so...

The Raiders are probably more numerous than you suspect. Also, the best defenses are keyed personally to Snads, and many others will be busy with the Raiders and the Assault Legion. This leads me to guessing that the Raiders intended to surround Snadhya's tower, then garrison it against Sang's Legion until a negotiated peace can be brokered.

Sang is likely lured into to this mess by Quill as well. We'll see...

P.S. Sang might be Nid, might not be. She's a black box to us. Remember also that many who have been manipulated by Snadhya'rune regret it afterwards.
Moric
Summoner

Postby The14th » Sat May 12, 2018 3:19 am

Is it weird that I don't want the little cyclops golems to die?
The14th
Summoner

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Junglefowl26 » Sat May 12, 2018 5:15 am

sunhawk wrote:

Sang is a Nid, and has been since before becoming a Sarghress. Snad saved her from the Sharen. Gave her the Golem limbs and sent her to the sarghress. Sang works towards the day where the vals are abolished and only Empress Snad'hyarune rules.

Oh? Where was this said? Especially the golem limb parts - I remember it being said that she got hers from Quain.

Moric wrote:Kel is probably bedridden, and I also note that we don't see Ash... ;) So, unless Mel plows through everyone, including Ariel, he's pretty safe.

I'm not sure if Snadhya'rune is very interested in babies. Kalki was a possession at best, and as she lacked the one ability that she wanted, was disposable. Ariel has it, but she can't be corrupted, and thus a lost cause. A product of Mel and Zhor worked, so...

The Raiders are probably more numerous than you suspect. Also, the best defenses are keyed personally to Snads, and many others will be busy with the Raiders and the Assault Legion. This leads me to guessing that the Raiders intended to surround Snadhya's tower, then garrison it against Sang's Legion until a negotiated peace can be brokered.

Sang is likely lured into to this mess by Quill as well. We'll see...

P.S. Sang might be Nid, might not be. She's a black box to us. Remember also that many who have been manipulated by Snadhya'rune regret it afterwards.

As much as Kel complains about Ariel he has the same tendencies. I doubt he will sit this one out (especially since I am getting the impression that he already knows he is going to die and this is his last hurrah)

Well, it is something that Mel wants, and since Mel would be happy to take care of all the mothering aspects I see no reason why Snad wouldn't, especially since she has brought up the possibility to Mel before.
And correction - Ariel didn't have the ability she really wanted, Quain's mana immunity.
Another Mel-Zhor baby might work, but I think Snad is getting pretty sick of Zhor by now.

Whatever their numbers, the fact that the Raiders rushed right in rather than taking out the enemy defenses and securing their rear, leaving them thus vulnerable to a counter attack and flanking, suggests to me they don't have the strength to take the city outright and are reling on speed and surprise to get in and out before the enemy could react.
I bet if the ship wasn't damaged the plan would be for the raiders to meet up with the pack at the tower and then fly out. Hope they can think of a new plan quick.

The14th wrote:Is it weird that I don't want the little cyclops golems to die?

No, I don't think that is odd. Not like the little guys get to choose their side.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Sat May 12, 2018 7:03 am

(/AkumuModeOn) *whew* Thanks Vual'raisa and Slyandiss, that pinhead golem got the better of me and Araa'toskr! Although Toskr might be glad for one thing, it was an equal opportunity opponent, for it grabbed us both in the same way. Thankfully Vual and Sly intervened before it had a chance to follow through. I swear, one second I was right behind Ischa, then she goes *shoop* and disappears, and pinhead golem was all over me like a cheap suit! (/AkumuModeOff) B)
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: in Snad's tower in Felde, checking to make sure I have spare underwear
Clan: Sarghress

Next

Return to Moonless Age