Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 62

Chapter 54 : page 62

Postby Kern » Wed May 09, 2018 9:15 am

The battle spread in the corridors as one of the resident spot his daughter among the invaders.
Normally i would ignore requests for characters to interact among cameos because this isn't the point, the story should not focus on them. Though in this case it help make the whole divide more clear. Same clan, stuck on both side of the conflict. its not just sarghress, and the people on the other side are not necessarily pro-snad, they may have genuinely come as part of a proceeding to cement peace. So while felde striked first, striking back will escalate things.
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Chapter 54 : page 62

Postby The14th » Wed May 09, 2018 10:00 am

You just don't get it Dad, I'm trying to overthrow tyranny!
The14th
Summoner

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Koodi » Wed May 09, 2018 4:24 pm

I actually like their parent-child moment a lot. I am not opposed to the cameos or anything, there's often just so little space for them to have their stories and traits to be shown on the pages... for obvious reasons of course, but still ^^;
But this - this is nice, brings depth and drama in the situation and makes both feel like important part of the scene and story!
Koodi
Tainted

Postby Junglefowl26 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:27 pm

Kern wrote:Normally i would ignore requests for characters to interact among cameos because this isn't the point, the story should not focus on them. Though in this case it help make the whole divide more clear. Same clan, stuck on both side of the conflict. its not just sarghress, and the people on the other side are not necessarily pro-snad, they may have genuinely come as part of a proceeding to cement peace

Oh, so I shouldn't get my hopes up for some other match ups I want to see.

I do want to say while I understand the comic not about cameos, a lot of the match ups I want to see are exactly to drive home those two points.

Kern wrote: So while felde striked first, striking back will escalate things.

Yeah, it is easy to understand why Ariel and company chose the path they did, given both their training and the overall situation, I can't help but feel it would have been better to try to get back in contact with Chelian leaders and see if any of them would be sympathetic to Machtike.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Whizzard » Wed May 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Junglefowl26 wrote:
Kern wrote: So while felde striked first, striking back will escalate things.

Yeah, it is easy to understand why Ariel and company chose the path they did, given both their training and the overall situation, I can't help but feel it would have been better to try to get back in contact with Chelian leaders and see if any of them would be sympathetic to Machtike.

Hah! Fat chance!

Sarghress - those that are hunting them
Sharen - pawns of Snadhya
Nal'sarkoth - pawns of Snadhya
Beldrobbaen - too weak and insecure to take sides
Jaal - pawns of Snadhya
Sullisin - Ashwaren's paranoia has created a weak powerbase even if Ashwaren herself is with Ariel
Dutan'vir - too small and weak to take sides
Illhardo - diehard allies of Sharen therefore pawns of Snadhya
Vloz - ded klan

That leaves Kyorls who certainly have a strong army and who may feel sympathetic to Machike but with every other clan wanting to stay out of it or worse, position themselves against Ariel, I don't think even Anahid would take a position where they'd likely have to fight at least 5 clans at once and outnumbered manpower wise.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby 'Lement » Wed May 09, 2018 6:19 pm

Such rising tensions! So little time to talk, so much fighting going on concurrently! The heartful father-daughter meeting is literally the framing of the golem vs golem conflict, lacking space much like Koodi said! The masked ghost-like Assassins attacking surface-dwelling Dark Elf parallels the very Nidrachaal war, and Diva's fall to ghost-like demons.

I was wondering if we'd get to use "fatherkiller" when on previous page, but this might be even better.

Also, weren't Beld fathers supposed to become driders when daughter was born? Yet this one is not.

From this and Ischa's lower height than lowly male's I immediatelly conjecture that this is a case of teenage daughter running away from poor, low-status home and falling in with the bad crowd! Melas' presence here is not a honour, evidently.

@Whizzard:

I'm not sure Ash'waren IS still with Sullisin'rune. Machike got years of no news, apparently, and as this page reminds us that doesn't mean just no Sarghress-Sarghress contact: it also means that its been years since Melas and Ischa met, or that it's been years since Ash'waren heard from her clan.
'Lement
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Whizzard » Wed May 09, 2018 6:37 pm

'Lement wrote:@Whizzard:

I'm not sure Ash'waren IS still with Sullisin'rune. Machike got years of no news, apparently, and as this page reminds us that doesn't mean just no Sarghress-Sarghress contact: it also means that its been years since Melas and Ischa met, or that it's been years since Ash'waren heard from her clan.

Hence why I said "weak powerbase". She should be de facto leader still but how many people would still follow her after such a long time of no show? Then again, the clans lower members would still follow her despite her direct descendants and commanders vying for power as they quite likely are distant from Ash anyhow and wouldn't feel anything has been any different in recent years as obedience for their leader would be expected from them always. Doesn't mean there wouldn't be a shitshow (namely, deposition attempts and assassination attempts) should Ash go back now.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Moric » Wed May 09, 2018 6:46 pm

While it may be customary for a Beld father to go drider, the past decades have been very bad for the clan, and this may be be evidence of a great dearth of suitable males to repopulate the Clan.
Moric
Summoner

Postby SFI » Wed May 09, 2018 7:01 pm

'Lement wrote:...
Also, weren't Beld fathers supposed to become driders when daughter was born? Yet this one is not.

From this and Ischa's lower height than lowly male's I immediatelly conjecture that this is a case of teenage daughter running away from poor, low-status home and falling in with the bad crowd! Melas' presence here is not a honour, evidently.

See Moric's statement quoted beneath. Also, Melas is quite a high dude, tho it will probably not be really mentioned IN-comic, me and Vlashrod have him as one of Waes' sons.

Moric wrote:While it may be customary for a Beld father to go drider, the past decades have been very bad for the clan, and this may be be evidence of a great dearth of suitable males to repopulate the Clan.
SFI
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby sunhawk » Wed May 09, 2018 7:56 pm

I wonder if these Jaal bio golems are like the previous one we saw. Where the head can just pop right off as a separate unit.
sunhawk
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Moric » Wed May 09, 2018 8:31 pm

sunhawk wrote:I wonder if these Jaal bio golems are like the previous one we saw. Where the head can just pop right off as a separate unit.

I would think so. That said, what's inside the golem bodies?
Moric
Summoner

Postby Marcellogo » Wed May 09, 2018 11:13 pm

Nothing in Jaal's golems body, the head is THE living part, giving mana to move the rest.

Parallelism between the current engagement and chapter 0 is well found and quite striking.
We have moved full round and back to square one.
Marcellogo
Summoner

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Thu May 10, 2018 1:27 am

Don't forget the hammersp...er, trunk space, that Wafay's golem Sata had B) Combat golems may have something more sinister than a chest full of Ada, though (like rigged with a crapload of foci to give them magical attacks?) o_O
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: in Snad's tower in Felde, checking to make sure I have spare underwear
Clan: Sarghress

Postby Mizu » Thu May 10, 2018 4:01 am

That guy should consider a profession as a ninja, yanking someone out of the middle of a pitched battle is pretty impressive.
Mizu
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby Whizzard » Thu May 10, 2018 5:35 am

Marcellogo wrote:Nothing in Jaal's golems body, the head is THE living part, giving mana to move the rest.

I call them Pilots.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Next

Return to Moonless Age