Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 58

Re: Chapter 54 : page 58

Postby Ardan Styyx » Tue May 01, 2018 3:38 pm

Tainted Messiah wrote:I would be inclined to disagree.. we very clearly see Quil right at the head of the charge and one of the first to get hit with the blast. Now its entirely possible that due to the nature of Quil's armor etc. that Kern will give her and some others an out but if you look at that frame there are people getting tossed like 10-15 feet into the air by that blast no way that wasn't at least a little messy.

Yes indeed, but there is no close up on her being shattered in pieces, or shouting in pain or etc. So maybe the "dramatic stereotype" would say she is still alive.

Tainted Messiah wrote:PS - Also just noticed the line of shadowy figures coming at the bridge in that second last panel I guess here comes wave 2!

When such a great plan worked so well, why not having a go at it a second time? *facepalm*
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Junglefowl26 » Tue May 01, 2018 4:10 pm

No, not-Chrys, they have lined up to bargain ;p

Well, I hope Quill isn't dead, since she is one of my favorites and the most criminally underused character in my opinion, but more important dead or not the charge has been stopped dead in its tracks, and cavalry lives or dies by their speed, and raids even more so. They are in enemy turf after all, they need to get in and out fast, and every time they get slowed down a clock runs down to them being overwhelmed.

Along with a few of her own protege she got over the years, likely Kyo would be one of them if she had stayed behind.

Ha ha! I knew it!

To think about how conflicted their feelings must have been working together...it is fanfic inspiring.

Oh man, I really, really hope we get a Kyo-Shodun fight.

Like, Kyo hijacks a floater and goes down there. Oh wait, even better Kyo hitches a ride on Kau's flying golem.
Kyo: Ariel, do you think you can you get me down there?
Ariel: Last we broke both our legs and that was over a smaller distance.
Kyo: Hmmm....Kau, I need you!
Kau: *blushes* What?
*Cut to badass entrance, hopefully landing on one of the dubbsteppers.*
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Adelor » Tue May 01, 2018 5:33 pm

Is anyone else going to say it?

...anyone...no?

then i will...

Fus-Ro-Dah!!
Adelor
Summoner

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Smokehammer » Tue May 01, 2018 7:46 pm

Ardan Styyx wrote:When such a great plan worked so well, why not having a go at it a second time? *facepalm*
Plot armor saves all. On a less sarcastic note, its not like that isnt a common tactic that can be somewhat effective however in this case, the bridge would probably give out before Shodun does. Actually now that I think about it, thats probably what the Nids should have done. They have floaters, so breaking the bridge rather than the charge may have been a better strategy.
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby razorburn645 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:59 pm

Wow, once again we see that this woman is a force to be reckoned with and that charging her head on is suicide.
razorburn645
Vel'akar

Postby razorburn645 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:19 am

Whizzard wrote:Highland Raiders are elite troops. They have the best gear and many of them, especially Quill'yate's personal troops wear ancient Moon's Age armor that seals whole body. They also have most experience, centuries more than that of any clan as they are constantly fighting someone as raiders. Thinking that they don't have enough experience fighting other elves is a mistake. In chapter 12 they captured Senekha, the most powerful Vloz nether summoner and neutralized her power showing that they even know how to deal with demons.

As I recall the "best gear" didn't stand up that well against the combined efforts of two children back in chapter 12. Armour that seals doesn't save the soldier from the concussive force of a shock wave. Also their experience against summoners and sealing demons doesn't directly translate to dealing with an experienced enemy that uses raw mana power to attack directly.

Strait from their legion description:

"The Highland Raiders fill their ranks with those of the most adventurous spirits. They hold the unique task of maintaining a presence on the Old World, keeping their assets in check and seeking out new treasures to plunder for the benefit of the clan. Other drow are rarely their concern for they find very different opponents in the hazards and unknowns of the foreign worlds they explore both above and below the surface. Due to this the Raiders are much less traditional warriors than adventurers, trained more in the arts of survival and non-conventional Overworld tactics seen in occasional skirmishes than all-out wars. Though Commander Quill’yate often travels with a sizable contingent of cavalry, the majority of the Highland Raiders usually operate in small, self-reliant parties.

They are marked by their amber-colored armor and full-faced masks that suit the environment and dangers of the surface."

There you have it. Strait from their legion description that they don't typically engage in standard warfare and that they are geared towards surface survival as well unconventional tactics .
razorburn645
Vel'akar

Postby Moric » Wed May 02, 2018 1:14 am

Unconventional tactics, like, say, sending illusion troops as cannon fodder while somebody with water affinity has them riding under the waves?
Moric
Summoner

Postby razorburn645 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:12 am

Moric wrote:Unconventional tactics, like, say, sending illusion troops as cannon fodder while somebody with water affinity has them riding under the waves?

Is that what's happening? I guess we'll have to wait and see.
razorburn645
Vel'akar

Postby El Bandito » Wed May 02, 2018 2:59 am

Bridge defense is always tough to crack.
El Bandito
Summoner

Postby Moric » Wed May 02, 2018 2:03 pm

razorburn645 wrote:
Moric wrote:Unconventional tactics, like, say, sending illusion troops as cannon fodder while somebody with water affinity has them riding under the waves?

Is that what's happening? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Could be. There's easily a half dozen ways to circumvent this defensive point with various mana arts.

- Air: Flight, vacuum shield (sound can't pass through), choking the singers, etc.

- Blood: If this is your affinity, stay in the back, or use foci.

- Darkness: I won't count Waes, as she buried the needle with this power. Even so, illusions, invisibility, obscured vision, etc.

- Earth: Tunneling, barriers, lifting an isthmus, etc.

- Fire: See Chirinide.

- Ice: Sure, it's fragile, but it works like earth, uses water, and there's plenty of that nearby.

- Light: Much like darkness with illusions and blindness, but you can also create weapons out of light.

- Mana: Mana shields and mana blasts can be effective, but not very useful here.

- Metal: OP in melee, but in this case, unless you know how to tune some giant sheet of it to redirect or reflect the blast, stick in back with the blood casters.

- Pressure: Same concepts as air, but far more effective with creating a vacuum.

- Water: Nice scream there lady, now here's a tsunami back at you!
Moric
Summoner

Postby SzordrinZaphresz » Wed May 02, 2018 2:25 pm

Air can also be used to create air bubbles for soldiers and their mounts to walk under the waves.

So yeah, they could be sending illusions to charge the bridge while sneaking past in the river below, and then attack from behind.

So many shadows in the back there. It doesn't seem like anybody got blasted off the bridge this time around.
SzordrinZaphresz
Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Moric » Wed May 02, 2018 5:05 pm

Anyways, I don't blame Shodun for frowning. Too easy. Something's not right with this...
Moric
Summoner

Postby Moatl » Wed May 02, 2018 8:50 pm

I just got an idea, how Shodun's attack sounded… ;)
Moatl
Vel'akar

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Ra'tatosk » Fri May 04, 2018 4:35 am

Moatl wrote:I just got an idea, how Shodun's attack sounded… ;)

I do believe it more sounded like this: https://youtu.be/rtnKI3ztz9w?t=475

Sitting in front of her, she gave me a new hairstyle.
Ra'tatosk
Vel'akar

Clan: Illhar'dro

Previous

Return to Moonless Age