Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 58

Chapter 54 : page 58

Postby Kern » Tue May 01, 2018 9:10 am

With a stone shattering scream they put an end to the charge.
All lined up on a narrow bridge against Shodun whose scream can shatter rock. Along with a few of her own protege she got over the years, likely Kyo would be one of them if she had stayed behind. And yes that one is meant to look like Chrys. A nameless relative
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Chapter 54 : page 58

Postby Moric » Tue May 01, 2018 10:15 am

I don't buy it. There's too many ways to cheat this attack, and between Kyo'nne and Bae'rali, I don't see the intel on Shodun being glossed over.

P.S. Remember that sound is a sorcery, as is light....both of which can make for interesting results, illusions, etc.
Moric
Demon

Postby sleepyfruit » Tue May 01, 2018 10:22 am

It is interesting how Shodun allway more often then not looks unhappy after using that scream, but on the other hand she never hasitates.
sleepyfruit
Tainted

Postby Ardan Styyx » Tue May 01, 2018 10:46 am

Well, that was fast.
And stupid.
For seasoned warriors, the Raiders should have known better.

I thought the basic of a raid was to disorganize ennemy defense, deceive, get to the objective fast and withdraw. Not to charge like lemmings right into a chockpoint easy to defend, especially when you don't benefit from surprise anymore and knowing what they got on the other side.
I guess you can call it natural selection...

A shame, though, I really hoped all this was anything but a suicidal move, with the bad guys winning in the end. *upset*

Unless...

Maybe there's some Empath illusion behind this seemingly grand slam? (cross fingers)
Last edited by Ardan Styyx on Tue May 01, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Postby Whizzard » Tue May 01, 2018 11:41 am

If I have ever seen famous last words, it's those on the last panel.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby MagicSkyshark » Tue May 01, 2018 12:12 pm

Maybe yes, maybe no.

There is the only rule on the battlefield - nothing will go according to plans.

Also, if the Illusionist on Ariel's side could create illusions of such magnitude...why bother at all with all this Raider stuff and all? Too powerful. Also, illusions are mana arts, too, so they could be sensed and felt by other drow, i guess...

ps
On Raiders... Theirs usual adversaries are goblins of various kind, Overworld monsters and the like, and merchant caravans...
But how often had they faced enemies with greater skills and abilities?
MagicSkyshark
Tainted

Clan: Valley'gurl

Postby Whizzard » Tue May 01, 2018 1:00 pm

Highland Raiders are elite troops. They have the best gear and many of them, especially Quill'yate's personal troops wear ancient Moon's Age armor that seals whole body. They also have most experience, centuries more than that of any clan as they are constantly fighting someone as raiders. Thinking that they don't have enough experience fighting other elves is a mistake. In chapter 12 they captured Senekha, the most powerful Vloz nether summoner and neutralized her power showing that they even know how to deal with demons.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Postby Torrin » Tue May 01, 2018 1:18 pm

Ouch. Looks lie they lost 1 owl and maybe a couple dozen riders in the opening seconds of the battle. Very heavy losses in a world where the overall elven population is probably less than a million.

I hope Quill is still alive.

Should have nuked Felde from orbit.
Torrin
Vel'akar

Postby 'Lement » Tue May 01, 2018 1:44 pm

Only shadowy figures, and no mana shields? I'm dubious whether it actually worked.

That aside, certainly didn't expect that Kern and Kite, so if this page was meant to be unexpected good job.

(I don't think they could save the mounts.)

(Art wise, the top of the bridge seems to be handled better than the bottom. That said, Shodun has a nice expression.)
'Lement
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby MagicSkyshark » Tue May 01, 2018 1:48 pm

No orbital forces there, nyahahahaa! ; )

Also, consider this.

Felde is the Alliance city. Sarghress are part of the Alliance. Highland Raiders are Sarghress troops (elite or not, no matter).
Raiders are attacking Alliance holding. So they are betraying the Aliiance, aren't they?

So in any case (should they survive or not), they should be brought to jail or executed for treason.
MagicSkyshark
Tainted

Postby Ardan Styyx » Tue May 01, 2018 2:02 pm

Well...
As we do not see Quil (who's supposed to be leading the charge) dying in a very dramatic way, there is still hope :
- either all this is a mental manipulation built by Ash and cie,
- or Quil survived (and she is going to regain consciousness after having drifted far far away. Amnesic and injured, she would be recovered by an hermit and... oh that could be the start of a new adventure! ;) )
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Postby Whizzard » Tue May 01, 2018 2:06 pm

MagicSkyshark wrote:No orbital forces there, nyahahahaa! ; )

Also, consider this.

Felde is the Alliance city. Sarghress are part of the Alliance. Highland Raiders are Sarghress troops (elite or not, no matter).
Raiders are attacking Alliance holding. So they are betraying the Aliiance, aren't they?

So in any case (should they survive or not), they should be brought to jail or executed for treason.

Or look at it the other way. Feldians attacked Sarghress outpost, to do so is a treason and as such the Raiders are exacting a long overdue retribution for betrayal.

Of course, Felde being part of the Alliance is actually a big fat assumption and it's more likely they are not part of the Alliance and as such all that is going on is Sarghress attacking agressive hostiles and nothing more. :)
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Postby MagicSkyshark » Tue May 01, 2018 2:25 pm

But there was a clear statement that the Sharen are part of the Alliance, and there are Sharen forces in Felde.
Also, the Sang's Legion is after the Rebels - and the Machike atttack was, probably, Alliance's attempt to bring one more colony into the fold.
MagicSkyshark
Tainted

Postby sunhawk » Tue May 01, 2018 3:14 pm

I know this is drowtales and ridiculous grimderp deaths are possible. Yet I don't believe such an unceremonious death would befall quill'yata and the raiders.
sunhawk
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Tainted Messiah » Tue May 01, 2018 3:20 pm

Well that was the end of that... or is it!?!?!

... yeah they probably all dead haha ^^;

Gotta say from an art perspective wow do I find this page striking Kern and Kite really did a great job putting 'weight' behind that scream and the decimated bridge and crashing waves afterwards. Though I would have to say clearly this whole page is a lie since you can't breath in and scream five at the same time. :3

I will be curious to see if Kern has a magic mcguffin in his hat to get the raiders through this because like many others I would be a bit surprised/disappointed if this is how Quil goes down. I mean epic fight or even just some sort of last stand to block troops from charging into the tower sure I could swallow that but a suicidal poorly thought out charge into an enemy line on a narrow bridge just wouldn't sit well with me.

... and for that note why do none of them seem to have any sort of mobile attack.. take your pick.. could be firing mana bolts though given their surface experience I would more likely expect some sort of bow and arrow or crossbolt users so they could fire without dismounting. Just seems like that could of been useful in a chaos causing charge through enemy lines. *hmmm*

sleepyfruit wrote:It is interesting how Shodun allway more often then not looks unhappy after using that scream, but on the other hand she never hasitates.

I am not sure I have ever seen Shodun happy. :P

Ardan Styyx wrote:Well...
As we do not see Quil (who's supposed to be leading the charge) dying in a very dramatic way, there is still hope :

I would be inclined to disagree.. we very clearly see Quil right at the head of the charge and one of the first to get hit with the blast. Now its entirely possible that due to the nature of Quil's armor etc. that Kern will give her and some others an out but if you look at that frame there are people getting tossed like 10-15 feet into the air by that blast no way that wasn't at least a little messy.

PS - Also just noticed the line of shadowy figures coming at the bridge in that second last panel I guess here comes wave 2! XD
Tainted Messiah
Demon

Next

Return to Moonless Age