Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 54

Chapter 54 : page 54

Postby Kern » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:52 am

Reinforcement arrives as the city is under fire.
Quill'yate and her highland raiders coming charging right at the convoy who were sent to go help with a caravan situation. well, the situation is much bigger than they thought and the charge is going to hit hard and fast. Note, all those canons on the wall were turned inward the city. Convenient. And yes the flare from earlier was from the raider, so was the messanger Kel was talking to for the last few chapters.
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Chapter 54 : page 54

Postby sunhawk » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:03 am

Yay! Quill'yate and the highland raiders.
sunhawk
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Junglefowl26 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:12 am

Ah, I have been waiting for them to appear for a while.

...Though, I am not sure why Kel was secretive about it. I mean, the whole reason Ariel went to Machtike was that Quill was offering it as a safe haven against internal enemies. Of course she is one Ariel's side.

.....also, if the ship is here, and the Raiders are here...then who is guarding Machtike? :S

Wouldn't that be a gut punch - actually pull this thing off, only to find Sang didn't take the bait and instead hit their home and whoever was left behind.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Whizzard » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:23 am

Yay, the best of the Sarghress have arrived!

I just wonder where their wolves are...

Junglefowl26 wrote:.....also, if the ship is here, and the Raiders are here...then who is guarding Machtike? :S

Colonists are guarding Machike. Remember, most of them are ex-mercenaries and ex-soldiers of various clans. It may be a peaceful colony but it's a colony of badasses. Ariel's entourage consists of her personal guards and volunteers but there's only so many people the ship can fit.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Moric » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:45 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:Ah, I have been waiting for them to appear for a while.

...Though, I am not sure why Kel was secretive about it.

Because storytelling? Desperation forces players to burn action points?

Also, just because Aunty Quil is here doesn't mean that Sang isn't...

Could make this a four-way battle where no side fully trusts any other side...
Moric
Summoner

Postby Junglefowl26 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:29 pm

Whizzard wrote:Yay, the best of the Sarghress have arrived!

I just wonder where their wolves are...

Junglefowl26 wrote:.....also, if the ship is here, and the Raiders are here...then who is guarding Machtike? :S

Colonists are guarding Machike. Remember, most of them are ex-mercenaries and ex-soldiers of various clans. It may be a peaceful colony but it's a colony of badasses. Ariel's entourage consists of her personal guards and volunteers but there's only so many people the ship can fit.

You know, I honestly missed that they were riding dawmeres at first. Weird.

And if I remember correctly, dawmeres are basically unicorn donkeys...so the scene is a lot funnier now that I am mentally adding some donkey noises to it.

As to the colonists - I think most of the ones from last chapter are on the ship now, so that doesn't leave a lot left to defend their home. And frankly, the colony barely defeated a hermoine attack force before, then took a lot of casualties from the airship, and the legion is big enough to scare the airship crew...so I am still worried.

Moric wrote:
Junglefowl26 wrote:Ah, I have been waiting for them to appear for a while.

...Though, I am not sure why Kel was secretive about it.

Because storytelling? Desperation forces players to burn action points?

Also, just because Aunty Quil is here doesn't mean that Sang isn't...

Could make this a four-way battle where no side fully trusts any other side...

Hmmm....maybe....

4 armies you say, I guess we just need one more... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPKjrTKoe2A
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Postby Moric » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:52 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:
Moric wrote:Could make this a four-way battle where no side fully trusts any other side...

Hmmm....maybe....

4 armies you say, I guess we just need one more... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPKjrTKoe2A

Good one, not using the Prequel That Shall Not Be Rewatched. Hmmm...Fifth army would then be...?
Moric
Summoner

Postby sunhawk » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:21 am

Moric wrote:
Junglefowl26 wrote:
Moric wrote:Could make this a four-way battle where no side fully trusts any other side...

Hmmm....maybe....

Good one, not using the Prequel That Shall Not Be Rewatched. Hmmm...Fifth army would then be...?

Sil'ice and Diva's faction.
sunhawk
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby PSadlon » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:54 pm

Junglefowl26 wrote:...Though, I am not sure why Kel was secretive about it.

While he knew the Highland Raiders were loyal to the clan, there was a question of if they would accept Ariel as leader the clan or if they would support Snad's choice. The flare was likely both a test of if the Raiders would accept Ariel and the first point Kel had any confidence in this particular plan. Knowing him he had a backup plan in place which Ariel would have liked far less than trying to convince those who just tried to kill them to join them and he did not want her to find out about trying to convince the Raiders until he knew if it was possible or it was obvious even to her she had to kill them.
PSadlon
Summoner

Postby Moric » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:39 am

PSadlon wrote:
Junglefowl26 wrote:...Though, I am not sure why Kel was secretive about it.

While he knew the Highland Raiders were loyal to the clan, there was a question of if they would accept Ariel as leader the clan or if they would support Snad's choice. The flare was likely both a test of if the Raiders would accept Ariel and the first point Kel had any confidence in this particular plan. Knowing him he had a backup plan in place which Ariel would have liked far less than trying to convince those who just tried to kill them to join them and he did not want her to find out about trying to convince the Raiders until he knew if it was possible or it was obvious even to her she had to kill them.

After reviewing pretty much every scrap of screen-time that Quill'uate has, I'm thinking that taking sides in Sarghress infighting is pretty much the one thing she absolutely does not want to do. She likes Ariel, and would love to protect her if she can, but the current madness is way over her own head (or so she feels) to manage by herself.

Even so, I think that if the Wolfpack were to take Snadhya's tower, with the Highland Raiders dealing with the rest of the city, the credit for such a daring conquest would probably rest upon Ariel.

I've always felt that drow are masters at following momentum, and Sarghress are especially. Yes, it's irksome that Ariel just disappeared into a quasi-exile while the clan was in need, but she just wasn't ready, and pretty wiped out from that poison. Three years have gone by, and she had nothing to show for it. Three years went by for Sang (or whoever's leading her faction) as well, and also nothing to show for it. But now things are happening. Yes, Sang has 100:1 in numbers, equipment, resources, etc. Even so, who stole Snadhya's airship? Who's been toppling Nid-friendly colonies? Who escaped Sang's ambush? Who's about to take Felde?

Let's face it, Quain'tana wasn't Il'haress because of her charming personality. She ruled because she got things done. If Ariel wants to survive, she must make a play for that role of getting things done. If Felde falls, if Snadhya's severed head is held in her hands, Ariel can make that claim, and become Il'haress by acclamation of the legions.
Moric
Summoner

Postby PSadlon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:28 am

Quite agree on all points, and that is why I think Kel saw it as a risk worth taking but a risk all the same and like most strategic minds he took steps to mitigate things like clan infighting and the Ariel doing something like trying to talk when she needed to act. While I prefer diplomacy myself I know there are times actions really need to speak instead. Ariel doesn't always get that as fast as she should though she is better than she used to be. That said she needs time and experience and she may not have the luxury of the former so I think Kel is forcing matters so experience comes faster than it normally would.
PSadlon
Summoner

Postby Junglefowl26 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:33 am

Hmmm....good points....maybe....

Still fills weird to me though. If there was one person in the clan I would count on to back Ariel, it would be Quill - and even if there was some doubt, I am surprised it was enough that Kel felt the need to hide his communication with her, rather than cheering their forces up by letting them no they had allies.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Return to Moonless Age