Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : Page 50

Chapter 54 : Page 50

Postby Kern » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:29 am

The ship break through the city's outer defenses as most of the canons fires too late.
The mortars were there just in case of something like this. Still, this raid will really kick the beehive that is Felde .
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Chapter 54 : Page 50

Postby Junglefowl26 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:39 am

Looks like there was one at least one hit.

Still, I bet the real threat will be the flying disc thingies.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:20 am

No problem, the Mimians will take care of the platform riders B) Gotta remember that those mortars AND the cannon will be there to greet the Mistwhale on the way OUT again :c Hopefully the Legion will distract some of them...
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: in Snad's tower in Felde, recovering after a stupid cyclops golem choked me >:(
Clan: Sarghress

Postby Moric » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:05 am

Basileus_Ioannis wrote:No problem, the Mimians will take care of the platform riders B) Gotta remember that those mortars AND the cannon will be there to greet the Mistwhale on the way OUT again :c Hopefully the Legion will distract some of them...

True enough!

Of course, that's provided that there's somebody left inside to sign their paychecks. :P
Moric
Summoner

Postby Ardan Styyx » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:11 am

Wow, I am impressed by the reactivity of Felde's defenses. Ok, they were not taken flat foot because of the flare, but managing to run to their pieces and load-aim-fire (just a little too late) in the small amount of time between Bargrez' alert shout and the airship being on top, that's impressive. o_O

Indeed, let's hope these guys will be busy fighting someone else when the ship will get out.
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Postby SzordrinZaphresz » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:22 pm

A racing charge into Felde, facing heavy mana cannon fire? Ballsy move there, Kel.
SzordrinZaphresz
Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Moric » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:36 pm

SzordrinZaphresz wrote:A racing charge into Felde, facing heavy mana cannon fire? Ballsy move there, Kel.

Well, when all possible safe moves total up to zero, it's time to be ballsy.
Moric
Summoner

Postby sunhawk » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:58 pm

SzordrinZaphresz wrote:A racing charge into Felde, facing heavy mana cannon fire? Ballsy move there, Kel.

Any competent ship designer gives their ship, armor that is proof against its own guns. The mist whale probably has better Mana cannons than what modern era drow can produce. So it will sustain a lot of fire.

Just look at the Mana vortex incident. The mist whale was hit by its own guns. The hull was only scorched.
Last edited by sunhawk on Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
sunhawk
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Moric » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:21 pm

sunhawk wrote:

Any competent ship designer higes their ship armor that is proof against its own guns. The mist whale probably has better Mana cannons than what modern era drow can produce. So it will sustain a lot of fire.

Just look at the Mana vortex incident. The mist whale was hit by its own guns. The hull was only scorched.

Actually, I'd not be too optimistic about taking much fire. Ground emplacements do not suffer from many of the engineering constraints of shipboard guns.

The tech may be lower, but brute force and size may compensate for complexity and efficiency.
Moric
Summoner

Postby PSadlon » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:26 am

I think those in Felde have not considered the gravity of the situation. Any projectile fired upwards that misses has got to come down somewhere and any that actually find their mark and bring the ship down are not much better for them.

That said Moric does raise good points though there have been examples of the airship cannons being in fired at relatively steep angles, not straight down but steep enough to hit lower target not to far from the ship.
PSadlon
Summoner

Postby Moric » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:11 am

PSadlon wrote:I think those in Felde have not considered the gravity of the situation. Any projectile fired upwards that misses has got to come down somewhere and any that actually find their mark and bring the ship down are not much better for them.

That said Moric does raise good points though there have been examples of the airship cannons being in fired at relatively steep angles, not straight down but steep enough to hit lower target not to far from the ship.

So long as those cannons fire outwards, Felde is fine. Firing inwards and missing requires a fumble roll (percentage die):

1-10: Blast hits roof for negligible damage.

11-20: Blast falls into the city, one structure takes 10d6x10 damage.

21-95: Blast hits cavern roof, all important structures in city section (d8) take 5d6x10 damage, fortitude save DC 17 for half.

95-98: Critical damage to cavern roof, all structures in city section (d8) receives 15d6x10 damage.

99-00: Rocks fall, everyone dies
Moric
Summoner

Postby El Bandito » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:57 am

That's one defense passed.
El Bandito
Summoner

Postby abadidea » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:57 pm

PSadlon wrote:I think those in Felde have not considered the gravity of the situation. Any projectile fired upwards that misses has got to come down somewhere and any that actually find their mark and bring the ship down are not much better for them.

I suspect the ship can tilt nearly sideways if it really wants, and the main constraint is the fact that the people inside will fall over.

It just occurred to me that the airbag is very small compared to what a human airship would need to lift the same size body; I guess the core must be used to power magic on the captured air in the balloon, generating levitation.
abadidea
Demon

Clan: Illhar'dro

Postby PSadlon » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:39 pm

abadidea wrote:

I suspect the ship can tilt nearly sideways if it really wants, and the main constraint is the fact that the people inside will fall over.

It just occurred to me that the airbag is very small compared to what a human airship would need to lift the same size body; I guess the core must be used to power magic on the captured air in the balloon, generating levitation.

I believe Kern confirmed something to that effect about the airship. The core does indeed power much of it's levitation but it still needs the airbag to stay airborne. I would suspect that it's is even more needed when the cannons are in use or it's carrying a bunch of rock. And yes I realize they could likely roll the ship largely with the right control mechanisms thanks to the core but as you noted it would be harder to for the crew to function with the ship in such a state.
PSadlon
Summoner

Return to Moonless Age