Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 47

Re: Chapter 54 : page 47

Postby Ardan Styyx » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:40 pm

MagicSkyshark wrote:Monstrous? Naah, just villainish at best. Killing the Empress was the monstrous deed, yes.
So all her schemes are just...okay. She has more resources and means to do her things - and she is doing them.
Everyone other are doing the same - scheming and plotting, she is just better at this game of thorns ; )

Err, the creation of the Nidra'chal is her doing!
(Or am I totally mistaking???)
THAT was the turning point for everything else. Betraying (actually not technically killing) Diva was just a step within a larger plan.
No one can know now if Snad is actually still herself or just the principle tool of a big plot designed to ensure the Nether creatures to finally take their revenge on the very race which escaped them, thanks to Sharess' sacrifice.

But anyway, one have to admit she is a real genius as well. A particularly gorgeous version of Dr Evil (she is just missing a mini-me XD ).
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Sarah » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:45 pm

Hmm, an upcoming Shodun vs Kyo'nne "singing" battle?
Sarah
Demon

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby 'Lement » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:56 pm

So, why did they need a flare? Nothing important there afaik, so...
- Indicator that defenses are down.
- Something to attract few squads away temporarily from the tower, at the cost of higher alert.
- Chance to pick up someone?

The cannons are interesting choice as well. Looks like gunpowder options, though I don't think they can aim high enough to hit the airship where it is right now?

They should be at least expecting it, given nids escaped its fall in Sha'shi close to a moon ago.

The running comment is an interesting one. It is rare that one acknowledges that full armor set is heavy - last time it was Kiel pulling up Nau, I think? Either the character is weaker than usual...or more likely, given the dawmere, there's substantial distance involved.

Which means time, I guess. Since airship hasn't attacked yet, I guess there might be some covert idea at play?

@Ardan Styyx: I've kinda given up hope on nether lands' blowback with the death of Khaless, at least in that form. Snadhya'rune may not be quite who she used to be, but she's not exactly suborned puppet ruler, either.
'Lement
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Tnoz » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:53 pm

"Could've been thunder too."

I'm almost inclined to believe that the drows have spent so much time underground they've forgotten what lighting looks like. Almost.

Speaking of which, for a long time I had a theory that lightning would be to most difficult mana art for them to make, if not impossible/forgotten after centuries of never seeing the sky. I even imagined it was secretly Diva's natural affinity as a remnant from the previous age she had to flee. No actual evidence to any of that however, except that we've never seen the effect produced by sorcery so far.
Tnoz
Tik'tikki

Clan: Vloz'ress

Postby Ardan Styyx » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:40 pm

'Lement wrote:The cannons are interesting choice as well. Looks like gunpowder options, though I don't think they can aim high enough to hit the airship where it is right now?

They should be at least expecting it, given nids escaped its fall in Sha'shi close to a moon ago.

Aaah, you have to role the "special gunner dice" : 50% chance of either making a perfect miraculous hit, or a frat-fire. Nothing in between. 8P
Ok I stop the impossible-artillery-events stuff and all :P

Looking closely at it, it looks like a breech loading version... with an open breech, so I'd rather say a mana-type, loaded with mana cores, rather than a Durgard powder-shell version.
Elevation seems indeed a little low to fire at an air-target, unless it flies at low altitude.

'Lement wrote:@Ardan Styyx: I've kinda given up hope on nether lands' blowback with the death of Khaless, at least in that form. Snadhya'rune may not be quite who she used to be, but she's not exactly suborned puppet ruler, either.

Khaless demise was undoubtedly a serious setback for any (existing or not) Nether plan, as well as for Snad herself. Now, considering the potential amount of summoning, either in Felde or Orthorbbae, I would'nt totally rule out an ongoing Nether conspiracy using the Nids as tools (more than puppets) for their own agenda.
Now, about Snad "integrity" (not sanity, mind you)... well, Kiel seems to deal ok with her inner demons (although she herself carries her own version of crazyness), and Snad is a far superior intellect than most. She also has a tremendous willpower, so I wouldn't be surprised a large part of her is actually still there.
Doesn't matter though : my chibi-devouring option is still valid! :D
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Postby sunhawk » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:35 am

How did snad ever get the nids started?
sunhawk
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Black Knight LeFreux » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:17 am

sunhawk wrote:How did snad ever get the nids started?

Now that's a good question. Here are my speculations :

Snad was already "vice-principal" of Orthobbae for a long time. She had friends and colleagues to whom she talked about her disatisfaction with the current political system, and the continuous motherly pressure to start her own familly line.

Among these colleagues and students, she found many kindred spirits who wanted more power, and more freedom to use it, without oversight from a higher entity, either because of familial circonstancies or plain "rich brat hubris".

Those people gathered and gravitated around Snad, because she was an important figure of the established authority (being the Empress' eldest daughter and second in command of Orthobbae) and her charismatic personnality.

As they talked more and more during secret reunions, about changing the current system and "halt the decline of their race" (extremism will always play that card), their view became more radical (no one would dare try to underline the benefits of the politics of that day - especially with powerful egomaniac people like Snad or psychopath like Yuhle) and they resolved to use any means necessary to get their way.

Even if it meant tainting themselves, unleashing horrors on innocents, and slaughtering their own kin.

But she needed a base of operation. Far from any oversight and safe from any spies. A place where she could make her own laws and answer to only herself.
I don't know what was her reasons, but she chose Felde. With her "talents" by her side, she quickly overthrew the leaders there, and imposed her idea of a perfect world in her new city.

With Orthobbae and Felde under her control, she was free to influence more and more people, transforming them into spies or dormant murderers, and they infiltrated every echelons of society (except for the commoners and the slaves, I guess - though they could pay or intimidate a few to do their bidding either way-.

Then, finally, the great uprising came.

I'm sure I've missed a lot of details and facts in my speculation. I hope someone can fill the gaps and correct anything before we discuss the next page.
Black Knight LeFreux
Vel'akar

Postby Junglefowl26 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:20 am

Sarah wrote:Hmm, an upcoming Shodun vs Kyo'nne "singing" battle?

Oh, I certainly hope so.

Not just because of the matching powers, but also because they are both from the same clan with complicated loyalties and a lot of regrets (and I bet Shodun taught Kyo how to do that)
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby SzordrinZaphresz » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:04 pm

'Lement wrote:So, why did they need a flare? Nothing important there afaik, so...
- Something to attract few squads away temporarily from the tower, at the cost of higher alert.

The cannons are interesting choice as well. Looks like gunpowder options, though I don't think they can aim high enough to hit the airship where it is right now?

The running comment is an interesting one. It is rare that one acknowledges that full armor set is heavy - last time it was Kiel pulling up Nau, I think? Either the character is weaker than usual...or more likely, given the dawmere, there's substantial distance involved.

Which means time, I guess. Since airship hasn't attacked yet, I guess there might be some covert idea at play?

@Ardan Styyx: I've kinda given up hope on nether lands' blowback with the death of Khaless, at least in that form. Snadhya'rune may not be quite who she used to be, but she's not exactly suborned puppet ruler, either.

Maybe the flare is from the Legion. "Target spotted. ATTACK!"

Or maybe the flare is from one of the advance squads, "LEGION SPOTTED! BEGIN THE ASSAULT!"
SzordrinZaphresz
Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Ardan Styyx » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:36 pm

Black Knight LeFreux wrote:I'm sure I've missed a lot of details and facts in my speculation. I hope someone can fill the gaps and correct anything before we discuss the next page.

Well, throughout the different hints scattered all across the comic and the extras, one can have a rough idea of how she started it, and I think you are actually pretty right.

About Felde, there's this : http://www.drowtales.com/sidestory_worldsetting.php?id=11, and the entire extra in Daydream : http://www.drowtales.com/~daydream/shadowplay.php?sid=6199. This one gives also some interesting elements on Snad's complexe personnality. I don't remember who in the forum made a theory on Mel being "Snad's kryptonit", but it's an interesting point, although a little exagerated, to my mind.

On how she decided to go "full tainting", this part of chapter 50 gives a lot of keys : http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive.php?sid=11460

Unfortunately, all these (and a lot more) are only pieces in a far greater puzzle, and I really wish Kern and cie will one day release a full prequel, telling the entire story of our favorite villain! :)

youhouuu! 100 messages *boogie*
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Postby Junglefowl26 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:42 pm

SzordrinZaphresz wrote:
'Lement wrote:So, why did they need a flare? Nothing important there afaik, so...

Maybe the flare is from the Legion. "Target spotted. ATTACK!"

Or maybe the flare is from one of the advance squads, "LEGION SPOTTED! BEGIN THE ASSAULT!"

Might be a distraction: Have the Feldians prepare all their defenses in one direction, then hit the tower from the opposite direction.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Previous

Return to Moonless Age