Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 42

Re: Chapter 54 : page 42

Postby Mizu » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:45 am

Reading the top secret notes your commander left laying around because blood loss is messing with his head is probably a hanging offense, Sarnel.
Mizu
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby sunhawk » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:10 am

Ariel and Faen would fuse into Araen. A giant shape shiftng empath with wind affinity.
sunhawk
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Dalvyserran » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:04 am

Whizzard wrote:Drow don't get infected. They don't have viruses or bacterial diseases. This has been stated many times in the past and unless retconned, it still holds true.

Ailments of this kind are rare and unique to the race itself like the brainflower which won't affect auraless creatures and is more of a parasite.

Mel's broken arms looked very much infected
Dalvyserran
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby Ardan Styyx » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:43 am

Dalvyserran wrote:
Whizzard wrote:Drow don't get infected. They don't have viruses or bacterial diseases. This has been stated many times in the past and unless retconned, it still holds true.

Ailments of this kind are rare and unique to the race itself like the brainflower which won't affect auraless creatures and is more of a parasite.

Mel's broken arms looked very much infected

Oh my, THAT was dreadful! *sweatdrop*

However, I'm not so sure now that she had an infection. More like open fractures I think, which by themselves were already a terrible sight.

Now that I think about it, the apparent lack of interest in developping a specific mana-fuelled medical art within drow civilization (the Jaal's bioengineering put aside), is probably due to their exceptional resilience to everything the other races usually suffer from.

Mizu wrote:Reading the top secret notes your commander left laying around because blood loss is messing with his head is probably a hanging offense, Sarnel.

Bah, they didn't lash the gunners after their brilliant performance in the battle, so even if "curiosity killed the cat", Sarnel is pretty much safe I guess.
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Postby sunhawk » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:36 pm

Kel the master diplomat and spy. Undone because he left his notes out and door unlocked. *wee*
Last edited by sunhawk on Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
sunhawk
Summoner

Postby Koodi » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:56 pm

Pitdragon wrote:
Koodi wrote:

What?! Really?! Where has this been mentioned? I mean I don't doubt it's true, just facepalming how can I have missed something so important, I've been reading since 2008 or something after all. Well, now I feel like arguing against the logicality of that, but I'll accept that fantasy setting is a fantasy setting. I mean I always just assume the "no diseases" -part is only about the flus and such, not wound infections etc...

My statement about Faen's injury still holds otherwise true though, never underestimate the force in dog's jaw and teeth.

Apparently their mana and reliance upon it is how they avoid most infections, with fungal and parasites being the exceptions as Whizzard noted. It's still a bit up in the air if a Drow would succumb to infection if heavily injured, deprived of mana, or something of the like (Quain's poison may have allowed for extreme infection and necrosis, for example), but Faen's age and the aether about her companions and the Airship should be enough to protect her from that if it is possible.

I have just assumed drow to be sort of "typical" fantasy elves, like just having very strong immune systems which work the best when the conditions are right (large mana pool around and not mana deprived) and thus not having diseases similar to regular humans. I've just never gotten the feeling from the story that they were completely immune to all types of infections, I admit I have imagined wounds or eating whatever to be at least somewhat dangerous to them. That's why Whizzard's remark shocked me!

It's not that I'd have expected Faen there just quickly get a high fever from those wounds, she isn't human, just that they would go necrotic and threaten her arm and eventually life too or something. That getting injured non-fatally is a threat, not just inconvenience or cause of ugly scarring. It's often... boring if the characters have to be almost hacked to pieces to die *hmmm*
Koodi
Tainted

Postby sunhawk » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:50 pm

Faen gets a red golem arm when?
sunhawk
Summoner

Previous

Return to Moonless Age