Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 40

Chapter 54 : page 40

Postby Kern » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:57 pm

In the safety of the mist sea, she finds out Kel kept in touch with their enemy.
Well he does not see them as enemies. Beside we are all too busy looking at this shiny first panel painting kite did. Not that she spent the whole night polishing it or anything...

If you are viewing this thread early. YES WE COVERED THE WRONG HAND. i don't want to hear a peep about it.it'll be fixed in a few minutes.
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Chapter 54 : page 40

Postby Junglefowl26 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:05 am

....if Kel had these contacts before, why was Machtike so ignorant of all that was going on in Chel? Why wasn't there any official communication through the whispering lights? And why is he keeping this secret - Ariel has always been hesitant to fight other Sarghs before so she should love a chance to negotiate instead.

Though it makes a lot of sense for Nom to be the messenger, since she is a Norifu and thus has connections with the biggest of the top Sarghress families.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby JVElEven » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:37 am

Well, at least Kyo is appropriately surprised that she is being trusted with anything.

Better not waste that chance.
JVElEven
Nether Seed

Postby Pitdragon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:48 am

He has blackmail against her, so now she's trusted with things... including this secret meeting. Any word against him in turn brings one against her, either making them moot or harming her more as Ariel may be pushed into siding with Kel more (or not believing Kyo'nne) due to Kyo'nne's past connections and actions. Ariel would be far more likely to take out Kyo for her actions in Ys than go after Kel for perhaps trying back-door diplomacy.

Could also explain how the Legion caught up so fast - perhaps Kel already tried to reason with them and so they knew where to go after that. Or perhaps he's playing both sides hoping to find a way to break the Sarghress from their "duties" as part of the Alliance while still letting them fulfill their obligations so that they aren't the "aggressors." Would explain why he was so against the bombardment - the town was not meant to be a sacrificial lamb, and attacking the Legion would unravel what work he's done to try and reconcile the factions. Of course, he might have other plans, but it is hard to say or assume what else (even nefarious ones, or ones that are meant to "harden" Ariel or turn her into Quain 2.0 in people's minds).

Shows even more why he protected Kyo'nne after her stabbing incident - they're literally doing the same thing, for similar reasons. Because while Ariel is a rallying point, and perhaps deep down they want her ideals to win out, they know how the current climate is and that playing to those ideals without running interference in the background would just be rushing to death. Drow fight dirty, and while perhaps a future of being less dirty could occur they gotta be prepared and fight a bit dirty on their own to make it there. Having loyal guys like Sar'nel is nice and all, but you need people who can see a bigger picture and work from the shadows, do what is needed not always what is "right."
Pitdragon
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Jaal'darya

Postby Mizu » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:27 am

Junglefowl26 wrote:....if Kel had these contacts before, why was Machtike so ignorant of all that was going on in Chel? Why wasn't there any official communication through the whispering lights? And why is he keeping this secret - Ariel has always been hesitant to fight other Sarghs before so she should love a chance to negotiate instead.

Though it makes a lot of sense for Nom to be the messenger, since she is a Norifu and thus has connections with the biggest of the top Sarghress families.

I have the impression that whisper towers are not a very secure and secretive means of contact when you are doing things on the down low. And maybe he doesn't want Ariel to know because he is worried she will ask any Sarg they meet 'are you part of one of those legions that are still super secret loyal?' to see if she needs to negotiate.
Mizu
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby Ardan Styyx » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:25 am

Splendid drawing, like always *bigsmile*

Mizu wrote:
Junglefowl26 wrote:....if Kel had these contacts before, why was Machtike so ignorant of all that was going on in Chel? Why wasn't there any official communication through the whispering lights? And why is he keeping this secret - Ariel has always been hesitant to fight other Sarghs before so she should love a chance to negotiate instead.

I have the impression that whisper towers are not a very secure and secretive means of contact when you are doing things on the down low. And maybe he doesn't want Ariel to know because he is worried she will ask any Sarg they meet 'are you part of one of those legions that are still super secret loyal?' to see if she needs to negotiate.

Well, let's hope Ariel dispite being idealistic is not that dumb. But I agree on the probable lack of security within the whisper towers system (by the way, does it still work in this area?). Yet, Kel seems to keep a lot of secrets from his niece, far too much to my liking. The lack of confidence between those two is concerning, and things don't seem to improve.

Now this revelation about Kel's contacts rises a lot of questions indeed, starting with "who?". They can't either be in any important position, or very reliable, otherwise this whole Legion thing would have been uncovered since the begining, and they could have used some intel before hand, to avoid for example being suprised flat foot in the Kyorl's colony.

Or maybe, as Kel mentioned it, they just have been a little too silent these past weeks, waiting to see where their alliegance should go after the battlefield has sorted things out...

It's probably wishful thinking, but could Mel be one of these contact? I know she is no Sarg, technically, but her blind loyalty to Snad could have degraded somehow, specially if she was provided some proof of her children survival. She could have given some informations, nothing too precise obvioulsy, but enough to make sure her beloved progeny (and incidentely her brother) would survive... *hmmm*
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Postby Durlyn Val'Sarghress » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:10 am

Considering how the Legion literally stabbed Kel in the back, I would think it obvious that negotiating with them would be a long shot at this point, to put it mildly...Unless the stabbing was planned and Kel meant to be left behind as part of a deal he made with the Legion? If so that may have been the real reason he was upset with Ariel for risking her life to save his...Or at least another reason for it.
Durlyn Val'Sarghress
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby sunhawk » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:45 am

Durlyn Val'Sarghress wrote:

Considering how the Legion literally stabbed Kel in the back, I would think it obvious that negotiating with them would be a long shot at this point, to put it mildly...Unless the stabbing was planned and Kel meant to be left behind as part of a deal he made with the Legion? If so that may have been the real reason he was upset with Ariel for risking her life to save his...Or at least another reason for it.

So the Legion going for Ariel is a ruse? To get them inside Felde's defenses. Then they doublecross Snad and assist the airhsip.
sunhawk
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Koodi » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:42 am

Ahh, good ol' Kel. This is one of the reasons I really like him, I'm just so glad he's still alive. The whole comic would be so much poorer with criminal mastermind -types only on Snadhya's side, it was really showing on the chapters in Chel without Kel.
Koodi
Tainted

Postby SzordrinZaphresz » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:42 pm

"We'll need your knowledge of the terrain..."

You don't suppose they ARE going after Felde after all! That would be so, so sweet. See how Snad likes a taste of her own "diplomacy."

Kel :"We come in truce! If you call off your assaults, we can work together to repel the goblins!"

Snad :"Hahahaha! You poor, poor sod. Only I am fit to rule the Drow. Everyone else is too pitiably stupid, naive, and ignorant. None of you can be trusted to know which orifice food goes into..."

Kel: "I see. So you won't let us live, let alone remain independent..."

Snad: "Well, DUH! See! This is what I mean! You're so dumb, you don't get it even after I spell it out..."

Kel: "Very well then, we're leaving. You can't say we didn't try... Oh, by the way, we've got a parting gift for you?"

Snad: "A gift? You're going to 'gift' me back my own airship?!"

Kel: "Not entirely, you'll get the cannons, or rather the mana-blasts, back! FULL-BROADSIDE! FIRE!"
SzordrinZaphresz
Demon

Postby Junglefowl26 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:30 pm

You don't suppose they ARE going after Felde after all!

....I have to admit, I am not sure where else Kyo might have superior knowledge of the terrain. Well, maybe some areas in the West, but those are pretty far away.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Ardan Styyx » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:02 pm

Junglefowl26 wrote:

You don't suppose they ARE going after Felde after all!

....I have to admit, I am not sure where else Kyo might have superior knowledge of the terrain. Well, maybe some areas in the West, but those are pretty far away.

I'd said Nuqrah'Shareh, considering Kyo's clan, but Felde is also likely.
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Postby Smokehammer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:20 am

So... when Kel tried to "Sacrifice" himself was that because he knew he was going to be ok or because Ariel knows about the contacts too ? And if he was going to be ok, and/or if Ariel knows about them, why the hell didnt they tell Ash?
Smokehammer
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:07 am

I love Kyo's reaction: "My wha-a-at?" *eek* *lol*

I agree that Felde seems to be what is to be discussed, because both Chel and Nuqrah are underground. I don't think the Mistwhale can fit through the tunnels to these cities, even if there was a strategic reason to go to war against either (reusing the elevator to get into Nuqrah may be feasible, but that still leaves out Chel, as the Skyhole or whatever the collapsed POS was called is outside of Chel's geode and you have to go through narrow gates to enter the city)

And also agree that perhaps Kel is more in-the-loop than he lets on. Don't want to over-speculate, but what if this whole anti-Val'Sarghress movement was an elaborate facade, a sham that Zala and the Alliance are fully on board with, and something that the rank-and-file Sarghress would be amenable to? Because what better way to root out Nidraa'chal influence on the clans than to appear to be in disarray, at odds with each other, and Ariel being fairly easy to manipulate into the role of "outlaw" with the proper urging by Uncle Kel'noz? (in this regard, Quain dying neatly took away the personality cult aspect so said Sargh grunts could be swayed to take the anti-Val actions required to maintain the facade)

Kel is one of the sharpest tools in the shed, and he knows Ariel since she was born, including her impetuosity and penchant to go against what she is told to do, in a predictable way. Perhaps her whole upbringing, right after the Nidraa'chal War, was tailored for this role, to distract Snadhya'rune from the blade that is about to fall? One can only speculate B)
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: in Snad's tower in Felde, checking to make sure I have spare underwear

Postby Ardan Styyx » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:46 am

Kel is mentioning war discussion (probably with his Sarg's contacts), and he is going outboard while the ship stays moored. So I guess him and Kyo are probably going to a meeting without the airship in the surroundings, which means it could very well be underground.
Now, as we don't know where they currently are, Felde, Nuqrah or Chel seems equivalently possible...
I guess we'll soon find out in the next page ! 8P
Ardan Styyx
Tainted

Next

Return to Moonless Age