Where to go to comment on the latest updates on the main archive!

Chapter 54 : page 39

Chapter 54 : page 39

Postby Kern » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:42 am

The disagreements continues but there's one thing no one is opposing ; they must bring the fight elsewhere.
Fight in your home turf, you lose, especially when you fight your own. Bring the fight to an ally you get the same. But they can't go to the next colony they were expecting a fight either because they could end up in a pincer. That leave them with a tough decision and some bad blood that need to be wiped off by regaining everyone confidence. best confidence booster? a victory.
Kern
Yan Gagne

Clan: Beldrobbaen

Re: Chapter 54 : page 39

Postby evilmike » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:58 am

Wow. Large tracts of land indeed.

*eek*
evilmike
Summoner

Postby Junglefowl26 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:05 am

Yes, always good to choose the battleground.

Tricky part is making the enemy come though. I doubt Sang will walk into anything too obvious, particularly since the legion will need to use the terrain to counteract the power of the airship.

I would be surprised if they didn't hit Ys already. It was right there and the Wolf Pack couldn't spare much of a garrison.

"Always knew" Ash? Funny, I could have sworn she mentioned being surprised by it a few chapters ago.

As for Slainne...there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance. A smaller force can defeat a larger if used well, but counting on sheer pluck for victory is not using the numbers well.
Junglefowl26
Dark Chibi Demon

Clan: Nal'sarkoth

Postby Basileus_Ioannis » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:57 am

Hmmm...how to get Sang's Legion to take the bait...perhaps the Mistwhale needs to set up shop in a non-colony hidden base, and start mounting hit-and-run attacks on the Legion. When the Legion tracks down their operating base, take out their scouting elements. If they try to deliver a message that they have hostages, blow the messengers away. If they push the hostages in front of them, blow them both away. Only by doing this can we expect a Legion who enjoys numerical superiority to be forced to attack in force. And when they do, cry havoc and let slip the wolves of war
evilmike wrote:Wow. Large tracts of land indeed.

*eek*
Huuuge...tracts of land *wee* In my story, I've tied bosom size to age and stature of the drow (less Kate Uptons and more Dolly Partons), so clan queens tend to be the biggest of their clans, while the empress is the biggest of all. This doesn't mean buxom younger drow are genetically predisposed to gaining stature, but the other way around; probably the better eats higher up in the hierarchy results in that part of the anatomy getting bigger. It ties into the matriarchal nature of drow; but in one of my human cultures, the clergy is exclusively female, and high priestesses on up wear a distinctive plate armor with faux bustlines laminated onto the breastplates. Since these are soft metal appliques outside the armor, they don't affect the armor integrity, and are not representative of the physiology of the wearer. This may be related to RL early human worship of the Earth Mother in primitive cultures, whose idols featured exaggerated breasts, stomachs, hips and thighs, etc. to represent fertility. But I digress... B)
Basileus_Ioannis
Vel'akar

Location: in Snad's tower in Felde, checking to make sure I have spare underwear
Clan: Sarghress

Postby SzordrinZaphresz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:12 pm

A sound tactic, Ariel. Very sound. Carrying it out won't be easy, but you're leading a rag-tag bunch who would happily kill each other without you, and they all agree with your reasoning. Impressive leadership skills there, Lass. Well done.
SzordrinZaphresz
Demon

Clan: Sarghress

Postby Whizzard » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:44 pm

I know an excellent battleground, with lots of easily defendable positions where large numbers mean nothing and airship has free reign while portable siege weapons have no room to take advantageous positions. This place's name is...

Felde. }:3
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby Ardan Styyx » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:58 pm

SzordrinZaphresz wrote:A sound tactic, Ariel. Very sound. Carrying it out won't be easy, but you're leading a rag-tag bunch who would happily kill each other without you, and they all agree with your reasoning. Impressive leadership skills there, Lass. Well done.

Yep, luring your adversary to the battleground of your choice is obviously a good path toward victory (although does not guarantee it).

Now, the bait should better be excellent if they want a seasoned tactician like Sang to bite to it... hers using the same tactic in return, not withstanding.

Chiri's reaction was a little excessive, but Ash' very subtle plan of obliterating everyone is just counterproductive (which is surprising considering her age and experience : she should have came out with something far smarter than brutal violence...)

Now, what with Kel's face in the last frame? Is it pain? Is it approval, resignation?
Ardan Styyx
Summoner

Postby Whizzard » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:29 pm

I think it's more of a "I've got nothing/I can't help you in this" reaction as Ariel looks towards him for guidance.
Whizzard
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Tei'kaliath

Postby sunhawk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:40 pm

I feel like Ash'waren's ears should be longer. Given her actual age of well over 1000.
sunhawk
Summoner

Clan: Kyorl'solenurn

Postby Ardan Styyx » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:19 pm

sunhawk wrote:I feel like Ash'waren's ears should be longer. Given her actual age of well over 1000.

Well, she kind of already looks like a rabit... (a beautiful one mind you). Longer, and she will be like a donkey *lol*
Ardan Styyx
Summoner

Postby 'Lement » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:19 pm

While Ariel does want to fight on neutral ground, I'm paying more attention to Am'saag.

....'s suggestion. Her suggestion! Her suggestion of leading the legion into her territory, where there are potentially hundreds of soldiers...Small potatoes compared to the Sarghress, but a lot compared to, what, dozens in airship?

I'm not clear how many are aboard, but it seems like the barbarian queen could become de-facto queen of Val'Sarghress faction. That is if they go there and survive, of course. Though the odds of survival may be lower when not going there...

And. Interesting that legion can both predict and outpace the airship to Amarent. Like some others, I would consider a possible spy. Bae'rali would be obvious candidate, if not for her telling them about the legion and for the composition of forces being made of disparate colony members from many clans.
'Lement
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Postby Mizu » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:37 pm

Chiri's reaction was a little excessive, but Ash' very subtle plan of obliterating everyone is just counterproductive (which is surprising considering her age and experience : she should have came out with something far smarter than brutal violence...)

Its really not, the fact that she hasn't already tried to kill her for ordering that her allies homes be attacked like that is pretty damn generous. Not killing her for openly suggesting round 2 of attacks on her home to her face is damn near saintly. Not killing her after that 'lol just try it noob' response to the line in the sand means she could give Joan of Arc lessons.
Mizu
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby Ardan Styyx » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:54 am

Mizu wrote:

Its really not, the fact that she hasn't already tried to kill her for ordering that her allies homes be attacked like that is pretty damn generous. Not killing her for openly suggesting round 2 of attacks on her home to her face is damn near saintly. Not killing her after that 'lol just try it noob' response to the line in the sand means she could give Joan of Arc lessons.

Yeah, very true *lol*

Yet I wonder what an Ash/Chiri fight would actually look like. Are Ashwaren mind powers strong enough to make the latter bark and shake her tail, or would Chiri just carbonize the telepath as she desperately tries to penetrate her iron-willed mind?
Ardan Styyx
Summoner

Postby Mizu » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:14 am

Either way it would be interesting to watch (from a safe distance).
Mizu
Dragon of the Nether

Clan: Sharen

Postby 'Lement » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:06 am

A naive approach would suggest it'd go like Nishi'kanta versus...Bae'rali, was it? Expect worse for Chiri.

But then there's being a seer and that seeing Ash'waren as drow means you're already affected by her empathy, plus Quain's implication that Ash has talents for making people act to fulfil her wishes beyond 'cower in fear' that Sul sisters employed. Plus being the mother of Faen the moebomb.

If being a seer interferes with empathy (though Yuh'le had no problems), an ambush might succeed. But given the attempts to poison her, I guess not. Chiri isn't a poisoner though, so best option seems like wait till she sleeps, use focis to seal the entrances, then maybe drop the whole cabin with fire foci rigged to go off upon hiting the ground. I'd be bit leery of just using fire without dropping since Ash'waren - despite never having shown the capability - might still have ability to block or counter fire sorcery. Shan's metal affinity might be less likely to be countered, just seal in then bravely run away before she wakes up, or heat up the metal to turn the inside's into a sauna. Or maybe just shoot her with one of the mana cannons through the wall. Noise might wake up tho.

Or - oh! Rig the floating foci to explode. Self-sacrificial, but should at least stun her. I don't think Chiri would do this, though, given the other Kyorl on board.

Though, have we ever seen Ash'waren asleep or unconsicious? If she's still drow then, that suggests she's capable of fooling your vision in her sleep. Looking like someone else is a possibility then.

@Mizu: Eh, where I come from not killing someone for smack talking or discussing possibilities is not saintly but expected of everyone. Do you kill people who go "lol just try it noob" in online games personally or do you phone call a swat team to do it? o_O
'Lement
Vel'akar

Clan: Sullisin'rune

Next

Return to Moonless Age